+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Name change

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

Default Name change

http://www.asylum.com/2008/11/03/cap...esome-or-lame/

I was wondering if anyone here would change there name, and if so, to what?
    I like the sound of Jasper Williams myself.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Default Re: Name change

I would not.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

nope.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

this dosent have to be legal, it could be something people call you like my friend likes to be called Vincent

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

I did.

I had a list of potential names to choose from for when I turned 18, but I never did it. I never really liked my name. Maybe I just havn't found the right one.

And yes, Captain Fantastic Faster Than Superman Spiderman Batman Wolverine Hulk and The Flash Combined is a fucking awesome name.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I would go with my first name being "Smokes". That way every dumb ass that comes up to me and says surprised, "You smoke!?!?!" wouldn't have to be in shock when they see me puffing...

As far as my last name, I'll go with "Alot".

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Nah, I've grown used to my name, and I can't really see another one that suits me either.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

To an extent we all do - nobody who's said "no" uses their real name on here, and your usernames are just as much your identity as the name you use on your checkbook - just within a different aspect of your life.

I've worked with some people for years who have no clue what my 'real' name is, as I was introduced to them by a stage name or nickname and it stuck. I'm just as likely to react to someone calling that across a room as the name my Mom thought up. Neither is more or less valid in the context they use it. My first name doesn't pronounce directly in Japanese so when I was working out there my gf thought up a new one based on the meaning of the name instead of the syllables, and for a good few months she was the only one who knew any different. Coming back to the US it was strange not to hear it - seems that it's more what you're used to than what a drivers license says.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk
    this dosent have to be legal, it could be something people call you like my friend likes to be called Vincent
    there's a lot of people that think my real name is danielle, and I still make people I don't know well, or have no interest in knowing well call me that. its nowhere even close to my real name. my real name is cool as f*ck, and anagrams to something really cool. I just almost never give it out.

Heh. When I meet new people I don't think I'll ever see again, I usually don't use my real name. I also use various ones, so I don't really remember who knows me as what. And then I forget I told them another one. "Why are you calling me Patrick? Oh...yeah...." And then I end up being around them longer than anticipated. It proves as somewhat unfortunate but entertaining situations once resolved. At one point I was being cheated on by me.

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

I dunno. I've gone by Athena for so many years, that only a handful of people call me by my real name anymore. So fuck changing it, no need

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I never really got into the whole alias thing. There are times I do kind of regret it though.

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

I always go by Doctor. Usually Z or Zoviet at the end.

My real name sounds a bit strange now....

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I don't believe names should matter that much. I just call people by whatever name they give me. Have booked hotel rooms for folks known only by stage names, I keep that private and expect the same from anyone working with me.

OEC

PastorKree's Avatar RAD!

I think I'd like to add 'Kree' to my legal name at some point. It's what most people know me by anyhow. And its not like I don't like my first name, Rhiannon, its just that not too many folks here in WV can pronounce in correctly.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

I thought it would be cool to change my middle name from Lee to Leiph (with the ph silent)

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    I thought it would be cool to change my middle name from Lee to Leiph (with the ph silent)
    lol are you just wanting people to say your name wrong? hahaha

I never really liked my name. It always sounded like it suited a late 80's, early 90's preppy girl. Most people don't believe me when I do tell them my real name lol.
    And my last name is easy, but people always seem to screw it up.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Nope.. People have been screwing up my name since day one.. But the real reason is because of the media.. Remember the Dedorant commercial that said PH balanced.. Strong enough for him, but made for her...

Well.. I don't want ot be PH balanced, so even though it is there.. I am still strong enough for him... but will always love "Her"

I grew into using 'Raza' as an internet nickname, then started introducing myself that way IRL with my entry into the goth clubbing scene. At this point, everyone relevant that isn't family calls me that.

There's a bunch of reasons I can quote. Primarily, I like it better: it sounds nicer, is more unique, and through its popular connotations is more descriptive of my actual identity. For another, I find the idea of having your name definitively picked for you by other people to be somewhat silly, and the act of changing it as much as the change itself is symbolic to the intend of being in control of my own identity and personality, as well as an objection to the popular assumption that "you can't do that". Lastly, my given first name (Ward) is an ass to pronounce and often indistinguishable from 'what?' over the sound of club-volume music, so besides being an excellent opportunity to make it effectively, my shift from offline social recluse to club-kid created a practical need for a change.

I don't really care for it to be legal. I don't acknowledge government on any level, so their desire to have a say in my own name seems particularly absurd - and people uptight enough to insist on using an 'official' name over whatever I tell them I'm called constitute a deliberately unnoteworthy portion of my social circles.

YoungSoulRebel's Avatar Dexys Midnight Blunder

In the process of having my name legally changed -- for a lot of reasons.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

change my name? sounds like work..............besides I quite like it

+ Reply to Thread