+ Reply to Thread

Thread: holiday humbug

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Default holiday humbug

so this year, even without the stresses of family get-togethers etc, i think the saddest part of all is not being able to buy gifts for other people. i like ot spoil my friends and what family i have over the holidays (and their birhtdays) but this year i have nothing. most of what i own is still in a box in fla, where everything that is mine still is. and i have no job, or cash or even credit (thanks Rob *glare*) with which to get gifts for anyone. its depressing the hell out of me. and i just know that those around me that can afford ot purchase gifts will be getting me something, even if it's just a token, and it makes me feel worse to know this. is anyone else feeling the crunch like this or is it just me?

~K

Default Re: holiday humbug

I will be getting laid off shortly after x-mas. So suckage all around.

If you bake them things I am sure they will love you.

...and on that note FUCK CHRISTMAS!!

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

When I'm really poor at x-mas I make people candles. You can get squares of beeswax pretty cheap and just roll yer own. People seem to appreciate that kind of stuff.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

i'm always like this at xmas... just. poor.
    i make stuff.
    this year, i don't even expect to get anything because everyone's just as poor as i am. fuck it all. i hate it anyway.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

don't worry about it...................if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. People do understand that............if they don't they'll learn

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

There is a kind of cool article in the Poughkeepsie Journal about scaling back expenses, while still showing loved ones you care.

I don't have to stress about this because my family is pretty much morally opposed to holidays.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

im not doing gifts this year, we're lucky if you dont burn burn our christmas tree for heat..i cant get my son anything..i feel like poo..but this made me giggle..it's kinda long but:

At the Holidays, treats are especially important. Here is a recipie sure to make an unforgetable hit at any function.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays

Jack Daniels Christmas Cookies

1 c.

water

1 c.

lemon juice

1 tsp.

Baking soda

4 large eggs

1 c.

sugar

1 c.

nuts

1 tsp.

salt

2 c.

dried fruit

1 c.

brown sugar

1 fifth of Jack Daniels

Sample the Jack Daniels to check quality. Take a large bowl. To again insure that the Jack Daniels is of the highest purity, pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat a cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 tsp. sugar....and beat again. At this point it is best to make sure the Jack Daniels is still OK, so try another cup.....just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl. Chuck in the dried fruit. Pick up the frigging fruit off the floor and mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck to the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the Jack Daniels for tonsisticity.

Next.....sift 2 cups of salt.....or whatever....who giveshz a sheet. Check the Jack Daniels. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar....or somefink......whatever you can find. Greash the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner.

Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish off the Dack Janiels and stick the stove in the dishwasher!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    im not doing gifts this year, we're lucky if you dont burn burn our christmas tree for heat..i cant get my son anything..i feel like poo..but this made me giggle..it's kinda long but:

At the Holidays, treats are especially important. Here is a recipie sure to make an unforgetable hit at any function.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays

Jack Daniels Christmas Cookies

1 c.

water

1 c.

lemon juice

1 tsp.

Baking soda

4 large eggs

1 c.

sugar

1 c.

nuts

1 tsp.

salt

2 c.

dried fruit

1 c.

brown sugar

1 fifth of Jack Daniels

Sample the Jack Daniels to check quality. Take a large bowl. To again insure that the Jack Daniels is of the highest purity, pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat a cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 tsp. sugar....and beat again. At this point it is best to make sure the Jack Daniels is still OK, so try another cup.....just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl. Chuck in the dried fruit. Pick up the frigging fruit off the floor and mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck to the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the Jack Daniels for tonsisticity.

Next.....sift 2 cups of salt.....or whatever....who giveshz a sheet. Check the Jack Daniels. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar....or somefink......whatever you can find. Greash the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner.

Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish off the Dack Janiels and stick the stove in the dishwasher!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Do they do "Toys for Tots" around you. I know nobody likes charity, but I'd suck it up for my kid. You should see if you can still sign up. I've helped out at Toys for Tots in the past and it really is a cool thing. Parents go a few days before X-mas and they get to pick numerous toys for their kid. It's a whole spread that's all laid out at a warehouse. The child doesn't just get one toy. They get numerous toys and it isn't all shit stuff either. As far as the child knows, come X-mas, you or Santa got him the toys. They never know it's charity. It sucks to be an adult and poor at Christmas, but it's totally another thing when you have a child. I feel for you. I don't believe in telling anyone what they should do, but if you have the inclination, check it out. It really is a cool thing.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    I will be getting laid off shortly after x-mas. So suckage all around.

If you bake them things I am sure they will love you.

...and on that note FUCK CHRISTMAS!!
    The same thing might be happening to me. SUCKS!

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

this is the first year j. and I are actually celebrating xmas. we're not big holiday people, but we even agreed to get a charlie brown tree. what's wrong with us? lol.

MorningStar's Avatar Junior Member

During Thanksgiving I was told by my dad that he and his girlfriend were flying to Florida on Christmas Day so they weren't having their annual dinner. Looks like the Wife and I will be celebrating X-mas alone for the first time.
    Most of my friends are hurting financially so its home made gifts all around. The wife and her friends are getting together and baking cookies and sweets then bagging them up to pass out. I'm burning photos I took of friends to disks and giving it to them for x-mas. Lame I know but its all I can afford.

I'm too poor to get people real gifts this year too I'm not that upset about it though because I plan on making all my friends and family home made cookies. I would love to be able to spend a lot of money on the people I care about but I think most people appreciate home-made stuff just as much.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Yeah, the stuff you make for people is often much cooler than stuff that is bought at a store. It means more... Even if all you do is make something, include a very personal card with nice words, and most people will really appreciate the sentiments...

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

and i absolutely love how everyone assumes that even though i say i'm broke i still have like $10 or $20 to get little things to make stuff. no i don't. i have what ever change is left in my purse that i think adds up to a whole twelve cents. when i say i have no money i mean i have no money. none. nadda. if it weren't for the kindness of a few friends i'd be in a box under the over pass right now. i mean BROKE. so there's no making anyone things, there's no baking, there's no tokens. nothing. i mean NOTHING.

it's depressing as all hell.

~K

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Well, I just know that when I was a kid, and had no money, and it was my mom's birthday, I would go out in the yard and pick her some flowers, and make a card with old paper and crayons, and she thought that was a lot nicer than me getting her some gift...

And hey, blowjobs are free!

I guess that doesn't work with family though! Haha!

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    blowjobs are free!
    Yes. Giving should be an every-day thing not limited to birthdays, xmas etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    I guess that doesn't work with family though! Haha!
    True. Usually. It's still less than a year since I had dalliances with not-blood-related-step-sister. Woops. regrets... I've had a few.

All this is why I am planning to organise some gifts for one child (my own) and then grabbing the current bunny and fucking right off with her out of town to where no-one knows my name, where they have a hotel room, a liquor outlet and a beach leaving a sign on my door at home that says "Don't even bother until after January 1."

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    it's depressing as all hell.
    Depressing by proxy.

People who know you well enough to even think about receiving gifts also know you enough to understand the situation, and I'm sure would be more bothered about you overreaching just for the sake of social niceties than the stuff they get. "It's the thought that counts" is supposed to be applied both ways. Someone whose nose is put out by not getting a gift didn't deserve one.

You have friends all over the planet. Sure, the country is falling apart and there isn't a spare dollar in the zip code, but isn't it kinda cool that we all care that you're happy? Huh?

+ Reply to Thread