+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broken kitty leg

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Default Broken kitty leg

So Cheeses leg is broken... Of course I have to take her to the vet tomorrow am
    But times are tough..how much does this cost? any ideas?

homicidal_kiss's Avatar Random

Default Re: Broken kitty leg

i've heard everything from 150-500 depending on the serverity of the break and the bitchiness of the vet. most vets will do payment plans if the service is too costly.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

it depends on how bad the break is.

okay so after lastnight, im kinda thinkin it isn't broken, she's putting pressure on it, even jumping down off the couch onto it. She's not limping quite as bad. But her leg is definitely swollen and it is tender to the touch...im not letting her go outside so she pretty pissed off at me.
    I have no idea what it is now, maybe a dog bite?

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

If it was a dog bite, youd see puncture wounds or other evidence of a bite. Depending on how bad the break, some animals may still put pressure on the leg. The best thing you can do is take her into the vet. They will charge you an exam fee which can range anywhere from 25-50. More than likely they will do xrays, depending on if they have to sedate her to get them (which will cost extra) it could range up to 100 dollars (from what I remember when I used to work at the vet clinic). If it is broken, they will have to sedate her to set the leg and wrap it. You could be looking at a bill up to 500.

There could be other possibilites as to whats wrong, like muscle strain or a pulled tendon. Though if the leg is swollen and tender it sounds like more severe trauma.

Get your kitty to the vet. Regardless of your financial situation, you took on a pet and are solely responsible for it.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    Get your kitty to the vet. Regardless of your financial situation, you took on a pet and are solely responsible for it.

I'm not a cat person (sheep yes, cats no. You can't shear a cat and live), but I do know that cats don't talk. Injured cats even less so, therefore a vet is required, or a feline psychic healer. Both will charge the same, but only one will fix the leg. Somewhere, deep down, behind that aloofness and frequent random anger mixed with nonchalance, that cat is expecting a little more help than a forum can provide.

Please dont give me your holier then thou animal rights crap.. of course I took her to the vet as I said I would in my original post. And it's blatantly obvious that shes my cat and my responsibility, I'm not an idiot.

Anyway I live 3 hours from an emergency clinic, which btw charges $200 (immediate payment required) after midnight just to look at the cat, not including xrays sedation or anything else. SO you know, im kinda feelin like if these people love animals and are so concerned they wouldn't try to financially-**** the owner thats trying to help their animal.

I got her checked at the vet for $26.50 this morning, and she was fine, somehow she got a little piece of glass in her leg they pulled it right out and she was good to go. So I am glad I waited til the morning , as much as I love my kitty I also like to feed my human child too.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Good for you for being reponsible. Unfortunately, you have no idea how many forums Im on where the owner posts on the forum for a diagnosis and the animal never sees the vet. I really dont see how thats some holier than thou animal rights crap, and if you really wanted me to get on a soapbox, I think its utterly irresponsible to allow your cat outdoors without supervision. Im going to assume your cat got injured outdoors, as I cant imagine you having broken glass laying around your home where your child could run into it. And if you were worried about a dog bite, its obvious you arent keeping an eye on your kitty. If people get fined for allowing their dogs to roam outside, I think cat owners should be fined too. It really irritates me when people bitch about their financial situations and how they cant afford to get the care their animal needs when it gets injured, but they should have thought about that before mindlessly letting it roam by itself outside. And the sad thing is, like in this case, its the animal that suffers.

Now Ill step down and say that Im glad your kitty is fine. I hope she stays that way,

i completely disagree with you on that, no cat (especially that was originally a stray) just stands by you outside, yeah dogs can be kept in a fenced yard, cats do what they want, that is the nature of a cat. I think I would be an irresponsible pet owner if I locked my cat inside the house all day or tied her on a leash to go outside. She would be miserable and I would feel horrible. Just like kids even when you watch a cat as much as possible, they are bound to get hurt. You cant watch them every single second of the day.

Sorry if I was snappy but the only reason I posted anything was because I intended to take her into the vet the second it opened, I was up all night with her worried, and curious if anyone had any experience in this situation. I wasnt looking to get preached at. And yeah I don't have an extra $200 laying around, and to make it out like that makes me a bad person, kinda pissed me off a little bit. Whatever the cost I would've paid, I was trying to figure out around what I was looking at.
    Anyhow, arguments kill this boards soul. No hard feelings here. And I am glad she is okay too!

I'm glad it wasn't broken. that could be pretty expensive. when they pulled the glass out did they drain it? swelling makes me think of infection. keep an eye on it. it would suck if it abcessed.

I grew up around outdoor(indoor when they wanted, and everynight) cats. we always had at least 5. my cat however, is indoor only. in fact, she gets in trouble if she runs outside, which she does not do often, because she gets scared and runs back in and doesn't try it again for a number of months. she's more than happy to either sleep, or tear around the house if she needs exercise; she also likes to beat up J.'s dog, lol(no she doesn't use claws, ever and no she's not declawed either) anyway, this is getting super long I was just trying to say that a lot of cats live very happy indoor lives.
    -fin.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I'm glad it wasn't broken. that could be pretty expensive. when they pulled the glass out did they drain it? swelling makes me think of infection. keep an eye on it. it would suck if it abcessed.

I grew up around outdoor(indoor when they wanted, and everynight) cats. we always had at least 5. my cat however, is indoor only. in fact, she gets in trouble if she runs outside, which she does not do often, because she gets scared and runs back in and doesn't try it again for a number of months. she's more than happy to either sleep, or tear around the house if she needs exercise; she also likes to beat up J.'s dog, lol(no she doesn't use claws, ever and no she's not declawed either) anyway, this is getting super long I was just trying to say that a lot of cats live very happy indoor lives.
    -fin.

yeah they gave her some antibiotics in case of infection.
    I know that some cats live perfectly happy inside, but I think it depends on the cat and the area you live it...we live in the middle of bfe so we dont worry about cars or anything here, and like I said she was originally a stray, she refuses to use a littler box, she only goes outside lol. I think cats are just like kids, the parent knows them best and knows what is best for them.

btw SNOW TODAY yay!!!!!

I wasn't trying to say that yours should be indoors. I was just trying to say that some are very happy indoors. it just got kinda long because I love cats. I know you would never do anything to hurt yours. you wouldn't have posted here in the first place if you didn't care...... I'm glad she's going to be okay, and that they gave her some stuff for infection.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

*yey* i'm glad the kitty is ok.
    on the other side.. you know... people have gotten me feeling like shit.
    i know my cat needs vet help.
    but i can barely keep myself alive.
    we have no money to pay rent.
    i'm having to ask friends and family for money just so i can fucking eat.
    yeah, i feel bad for my kitty. i would give anything to be able to have the money to help her. but home first-aid is the best i can do.
    so... just keep that in mind. some people can't afford vets. and no, i didn't ask to keep her. i tried finding homes for all my mom's cats but the one i was going to keep. that one ran away.... the healthy one -_-
    life is rough. kitty health is a concern. but they're pretty tough little things. and whatever my cat has, she probably needs ongoing care which i cannot afford (i can't even afford my own ongoing care D: )
    so yeah. just saying.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

:Stumbles into room: Looks at comments and quickly realizes, "I'm not touching this thread with a 10 foot pole". :Slowy, but cautiously, tip toes out of room:

Quote Originally Posted by soma_stardust
    yeah, i feel bad for my kitty. i would give anything to be able to have the money to help her. but home first-aid is the best i can do.
    so... just keep that in mind. some people can't afford vets. and no, i didn't ask to keep her. i tried finding homes for all my mom's cats but the one i was going to keep. that one ran away.... the healthy one -_-
    life is rough. kitty health is a concern. but they're pretty tough little things. and whatever my cat has, she probably needs ongoing care which i cannot afford (i can't even afford my own ongoing care D: )
    so yeah. just saying.
    seriously if you can't afford her and she needs ongoing care, the most humane thing to do is have her put down. its wrong to have an animal live in pain just because you can't afford to take care of her, much less yourself. if you couldn't find a home for her you should have taken her to a no kill shelter where she could have been treated.

I would never imprison another living being. I could never live knowing that my cat doesn't have a social life.

It's better to have a short but worth living life than a lifetime in imprisonment.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by soma_stardust
    so yeah. just saying.
    Are you seriously trying to justify the lack of care for this cat?

If you cant afford a vet, take her to a no kill shelter or have her humanely euthanized...especially if she needs ongoing care, and more than likely you will be very hard pressed to find a home that wants to take on such a responsibility. Sad, but true.

You may not have asked to keep her, but you still took her on knowing full well this cat may have serious health issues with no way to properly care for her.

There are tons of kitty rescue groups that will take her on to either help her live as comfortably as possible, or have her put down so she doesnt suffer.

I am assuming you dont have a job. Maybe its time to clean toilets to take care of the living things you took on as a responsibility. What do you think will happen to this cat when you lose the place youre living? Are you going to dump her on the side of the road or drop her off at a strange house hopeing whoever finds her will take care of her?

From the comment you made about them being tough, it just says to me that you have no business owning a sick cat.

Just sayin.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    I would never imprison another living being. I could never live knowing that my cat doesn't have a social life.

It's better to have a short but worth living life than a lifetime in imprisonment.
    Most cats are solitary creatures. I highly doubt any cat really cares if they have a social life. Or do you think the two cats tearing each other apart in the middle of the street when they run into each other are just playing? Or the tom cats who have shredded ears were just given love nibbles? Im sure the stray cats all over the world are thinking life is worth living while defending their territory, freezing or baking to death in the elements, getting hit by cars, being ripped apart by dogs, and having some asshole kids shoot it with a BB gun. Yeah, sounds like a totally awesome life compared to good constant food, warmth, love, and health care.

To not go in to the detail of answering all those question I do think cat's or for this matter any animals are a lot happier if they interact with others of their own race. Accidents happen and we can't prevent all of them. I hope you won't be so controlling over your kid

You don't need to dramatize to prove a point. I think I can understand your fear for your pets but I disagree on your actions.

I believe my cat is very proud of the amount of territory she proudly guards outside. Sometimes she can't wait to get out but sometimes she hides when I ask her if she wants to go out.

Now imagine a life living in perfect mansion with all food you ever wanted and with all attention you could get from the beings dwelling in the same mansion that unfortunately don't understand you, neither you understand them. Repeating every single day over and over. Now how interesting is that?

Cats should be cats.

my cat does not want to go outside;shes afraid, which is good becase I live downtown on a very busy street.

My cat have her periods. Winter months are usually quiet except a urge from now to then to run out and wash the fur in snow or rain, whatever.

When spring comes and it's warmer outside she's so laid back that she doesn't even want to hear me saying "let's go out". Well... I take her out by force and hang out with her until she re-attaches to her territory again. Takes a day of effort and she's running around like crazy again and chasing big dogs that pass my building

One of the most amazing moment with her was once when I came to pick her up. I noticed some feathers around, m'kay, she had lunch, m'kay, but the funniest was that she held one feather in her paw like human and was using it to clean her teeth. I haven't realized at first and I thought she's playing but when I did I was amazed

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

The fact you have to take her outside by force speaks volumes, and proves my point quite nicely. And you disagree with my actions? *headdesk*

I dont think Ive dramatized anything. Thats what happens in reality for a lot of strays and outdoor cats, weather you want to admit it or not.

Id also like to point out that cats dont "proudly guard their territory". Its a survival instinct, plain and simple...pride has nothing to do with it. Even saying so is just....asenine.

My cat and I understood each other perfectly. Right down to knowing when she was ready to be put to sleep. I guess understanding each other comes with knowing their personality and body language. So yes, Id choose the mansion with a great life as long as I had beings who actually took the time to learn about me.

And not force me to go outside when Im showing clear signs that I dont want to.

And hope that one of those big dogs I chase doesnt rip me to shreds because my being forces me to go outside.

I'd much rather know my cat isn't going to get hit by a car and slowly die somewhere on the side of the road than let him go outside by himself. Plus I don't think most people realize how irritating roaming cats can be. My parents live in a suburb and have an electric fence to keep the dog and cat in the yard. They still only let the cat out though when they are home because on of the neighbor's cats always trys to beat him up and is always pissing in the garden.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I grew up with many cats, and I have several friends who also have a large number of cats. They are all different. And people raise them differently. The bottom line is if the cat is happy. If they are unhappy indoors, and try to go outside all the time, then they may be much happier as an indoor/outdoor cat. If they are happier staying indoors, great. They will live longer. But I have seen some cats acting truly unhappy with being trapped indoors. They are an animal. And even humans don't like being stuck indoors constantly. It's called prison. And people go crazy when they are in solitary confinement, or kept in a small place for years and years. So even though I know it's risky for a cat to roam, that's their natural thing they want to do. The same is true for dogs. That's why you take them for walks, to the park, etc. It's not normal or natural to keep an animal only indoors. Unless they prefer it that way... If you have a cat or dog that is scared of the outdoors, then great. But many pets really do want to get outside and explore. You'd get bored if you had to stay inside your apartment 24 hours a day, every day...

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    I grew up with many cats, and I have several friends who also have a large number of cats. They are all different. And people raise them differently. The bottom line is if the cat is happy. If they are unhappy indoors, and try to go outside all the time, then they may be much happier as an indoor/outdoor cat. If they are happier staying indoors, great. They will live longer. But I have seen some cats acting truly unhappy with being trapped indoors. They are an animal. And even humans don't like being stuck indoors constantly. It's called prison. And people go crazy when they are in solitary confinement, or kept in a small place for years and years. So even though I know it's risky for a cat to roam, that's their natural thing they want to do. The same is true for dogs. That's why you take them for walks, to the park, etc. It's not normal or natural to keep an animal only indoors. Unless they prefer it that way... If you have a cat or dog that is scared of the outdoors, then great. But many pets really do want to get outside and explore. You'd get bored if you had to stay inside your apartment 24 hours a day, every day...
    And yet, all I still see are a ton of excuses to pardon the irresponsible behaviors.

If you want your cat to go outdoors, leash train them or keep them in an enclosed outdoor area where you can keep an eye on them. Just as youd do with a dog. Or are all of you content that your animal is a nuisance to everyone around you?

And why is it people are too lazy to provide an environment that their animal enjoys? "The cats not happy indoors"...what a cop out. Get off your ass and make life enjoyable for your pet, and stop throwing it outside to give it something to do because its bored.

I find it amazing that people are romanticizing the *wild* in domesticated animals.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by LeilaHazlett
    I'd much rather know my cat isn't going to get hit by a car and slowly die somewhere on the side of the road than let him go outside by himself. Plus I don't think most people realize how irritating roaming cats can be. My parents live in a suburb and have an electric fence to keep the dog and cat in the yard. They still only let the cat out though when they are home because on of the neighbor's cats always trys to beat him up and is always pissing in the garden.
    *applause*

Truly responsible pet ownership on your parents part. I give them a big ass gold star.

But wait, I thought cats like frolicking with their own species...*rolling eyes*. I guess your parents and their cat, and the neighbors cat didnt get that memo. Your neighbors cat is another example of why letting them loose without supervision is not responsible. Putting other peoples animals in danger.

I really hope you won't treat your kid as you treat your cat

My cat is scared only first couple times I take her out after winter... social anxiety I guess but she quickly gets back to her old she. I stay all the time with her to comfort her as much as I can. She actually loves to be outside more than inside when it's warm. First thing in the morning I do before I make my cup of coffee is, feed her and let her out because she's not giving me a second of quiet until I let her go. As soon as rain starts she passes on going out more and more often..

Some cat's she can stand and let come to her territory but others she chases away. I said proudly because she leaves that impression by her stance when she reaches her borders (grass-sidewalk border).

Would you proudly defend your opinion or would you do it by plain instinct?

I don't think bad of you Jax and I have impression that you are a good person, or at least righteous one. But I do disagree with you on this topic.

I think that if cat can have relatively safe life as an outside cat it should definitely have it, but if circumstances don't alove it (as in VB case), then you should do your best to make your pet's life as less as boring as possible.

As far as I understood you're for total pet control. (Mind the harsh sound of those words, my native language isn't English, but I think you know what I actualy meant.) Am I right?

Hell yeah, maybe she'll get to lick the blood of one of those intoxicated drug dealers and get intoxicated her self and have fun.

It really depends if you think danger, death, and conflict are a natural
    part of life. I happen to think that nature is supposed to have these
    things. Sure, I don't want my pet to die, or get hurt.
    I don't want my friends to get hurt or die either.
    But it happens...

Humans try to make this world somehow perfectly safe.
    But it isn't.
    People get hurt and die.
    And so do animals.
    It happens in nature constantly.
    Everyone, and everything, dies.
    The question is if you had a GOOD life.
    Did you have fun?

So do you want your pet to have a natural life, or an un-natural one?
    I think a balance can be struck. What you are doing, as a pet owner,
    is giving an animal a home, food, and some measure of protection.
    And in return, that animal gives you comfort and companionship.
    Right there, you are giving that animal way more advantages than
    any wild animal.

A cat or dog living on the street is going to have a very tough life.
    But a cat living in your home is going to be a hell of a lot safer.
    But in some ways I think you cross the line when you no longer
    allow an animal to be outdoors.

Are any creatures meant to be totally "indoor"?

We are pretty much the only animals who are smart enough to
    build elaborate shelters. Most other animals, including wild dogs,
    wild cats, and everything else, lives outdoors, and finds whatever
    shelter they can. All other animals run free, get in fights, hunt for
    food, have sex, etc... That's natural. That's what they are meant to do.
    When you keep them inside, you are preventing them from doing what
    their natural instinct wants to do. If you think they like being inside,
    keep the door open. Give them the option...

When I was growing up, all our cats were indoor/outdoor cats.
    They could come and go as they pleased. If they wanted to
    run away, they could have. Sure, some of them got killed.
    But many of them lived to be 16-18 years old.
    But all of them were very happy cats.
    They got to hunt, run free, and also had a warm home
    and loving owners...

If they got hurt, we took them to the vet.
    We did not just let them die, or suffer. But when they got injured
    by a dog, or a car, or got scared, they learned to avoid those things.
    I think it's far more likely for an indoor cat to die when let outside,
    because it has no idea what to do. But if your cats are indoor/outdoor
    since they were young, they are very "streetwise". We taught our
    cats to be scared of cars, so they never went near the street...

Anyhow, I am not saying it's wrong or "bad" to keep an animal indoors.
    I'm just saying that pets seem much happier if they are able to
    go outside and explore and interact with the natural world...

And I don't think there is anything wrong with owners who let
    their animals run free like that...

Bravo TDK!

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by allah
    Cats love being in the garden; you know this, i know this, but you're forgetting...

they don't have gardens in America, just enormous concrete jungles where eddie murphy and mel gibson zoom around down-town in big American cars firing off semi-automatic weapons at drug dealers and hoodlums. Would you leave your cat out in that??
    Youre a moron.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

I really hope you won't treat your kid as you treat your cat

My cat is scared only first couple times I take her out after winter... social anxiety I guess but she quickly gets back to her old she. I stay all the time with her to comfort her as much as I can. She actually loves to be outside more than inside when it's warm. First thing in the morning I do before I make my cup of coffee is, feed her and let her out because she's not giving me a second of quiet until I let her go. As soon as rain starts she passes on going out more and more often..

Some cat's she can stand and let come to her territory but others she chases away. I said proudly because she leaves that impression by her stance when she reaches her borders (grass-sidewalk border).

Would you proudly defend your opinion or would you do it by plain instinct?

I don't think bad of you Jax and I have impression that you are a good person, or at least righteous one. But I do disagree with you on this topic.

I think that if cat can have relatively safe life as an outside cat it should definitely have it, but if circumstances don't alove it (as in VB case), then you should do your best to make your pet's life as less as boring as possible.

As far as I understood you're for total pet control. (Mind the harsh sound of those words, my native language isn't English, but I think you know what I actualy meant.) Am I right?
    My animals live a damn good life. They are well taken care of, very much loved, and allowed outside on a leash with supervision. If I could have kids, youd damn well bet Id have a watchful eye over them too. Maybe if more people cared to supervise their children, the world would be a hell of a lot nicer to live in.

Accusing me of some sort of abuse because Im responsible for the lives I take on is way out in left field.

Yes, I am for total pet control. If the people had control of the pitbull that attacked our little senior dog (who was on a leash) instead of letting them roam outside by themselves, a lot of heartache would have been avoided as well as unneeded vet bills that those owners never paid to save him. How is it that the people who are responsible animal owners always end up paying for the assholes that dont care what their animals do? Why is it innocent animals have to suffer?

If it was me and Snowflake outside, that dog would have surely killed her. A cat has practically no defense against dogs, cruel humans and cars. And I wouldnt even think of putting my animals in that situation to suffer. Its a shame that so many people think its ok to let their animals roam.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

TDK- I noticed how many times you used the word "wild". Theres a big difference between "wild" and "domesticated". I think I made that clear in an earlier post.

Never once did I say do not let your animal outside. Leash them/tether them in your yard/ build an outdoor enclosure, and keep an eye on them while they are out. I really dont see how that is so difficult. They will not be depraved of the outdoors, and they will be safe. I think thats pretty much a win/win.

I really dont consider letting your cat roam the streets with cars and trash available to eat all that "natural". When you take your cat out to the savannah to roam, then you can bring up the natural order of things. If you like the fact that animals roam free, hang up a few pics and dont own any animals. That way you can admire them for what they truly are, not some dumped off alley cat. That is not natural in the least bit.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

If you got a cat that you "own", it's one pathetic cat

cat's own people

I'm sad to hear that you can't have kids. Didn't knew that, otherwise I wouldn't bring that up.
    And I didn't accuse you of anything? Where did you see that?

And I was talking about cats not dogs. About the dog part you have absolutely right. They should be kept on a leash in public but definitely set free if there's a park for them to play.

It's not a shame to let cats be cats. I live in quiet area with no traffic and almost surounded by woods and it's just fine for cats.... No much treats around. In other places I would consider what would be best for my cat.

BTW True Mr Karl, that's why I love them more than dogs

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Yeah, dog's are just way to dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    Yeah, dog's are just way to dependent
    agreed, I like my cat, she poops/plays outside, sleeps/eats inside, loves me endlessly (when she feels like it) and catches me birds when she's feeling generous

opposed to our dogs, that follow me around all day waiting for me to drop anything edible, they smell and need baths constantly and I have to worry about them running down the street when Im outside with them going to the bathroom. Not to mention, they stand under my feet and get stepped on all the time.

cats=far superior

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    Are you seriously trying to justify the lack of care for this cat?

If you cant afford a vet, take her to a no kill shelter or have her humanely euthanized...especially if she needs ongoing care, and more than likely you will be very hard pressed to find a home that wants to take on such a responsibility. Sad, but true.

You may not have asked to keep her, but you still took her on knowing full well this cat may have serious health issues with no way to properly care for her.

There are tons of kitty rescue groups that will take her on to either help her live as comfortably as possible, or have her put down so she doesnt suffer.

I am assuming you dont have a job. Maybe its time to clean toilets to take care of the living things you took on as a responsibility. What do you think will happen to this cat when you lose the place youre living? Are you going to dump her on the side of the road or drop her off at a strange house hopeing whoever finds her will take care of her?

From the comment you made about them being tough, it just says to me that you have no business owning a sick cat.

Just sayin.
    uh huh. the fact that i didn't know she had health issues until recently spurred me to care for her on my own.
    she seems happy enough except for the seizures, which cause her to injure herself and i then treat. she doesn't act like she's in constant pain. and yes, i know what it's like when she's in even worse shape, so i do in fact know how she acts.
    i just need to keep her clean and keep her from getting infected. i also need to try minimising her stress levels, thereby reducing the chance of seizure.
    don't talk to me like i'm some kind of non-compassionate dolt. it takes a lot of my time to care for her, and energy. i love her to death. and maybe it's selfish, but she's one of the few links i have left to my mom.
    so you can have your opinion that i'm heartless, and i can have my opinion that i don't care and i love my kitty and i'm doing the best i can for her.
    also, i tried giving one of the cats to a no-kill shelter and they won't accept cats with major (even minor) behaviour/health problems. i guess that's how it is here in the east bay - too many strays, not enough room.
    (and you don't know me or my situation, so to say i'd lose my place is a bit presumptuous.)

Quote Originally Posted by LeilaHazlett
    cats are independent beings. yeah, i feel safer knowing my cat stays indoors. i've had perfectly content indoor cats most of my life. my cat in virginia *has* to stay indoors because she has FIV and can either infect other cats or get some disease to compromise her immunity.
    when a stray decides to adopt you, though, chances are she'd rather have access to the outdoors. here, i have no choice. the friends i'm living with let their cats come and go. they're happy and healthy. one of mine disappeared, but i feel confident that he's holding his own (there's a house not to far away that got ahold of him, neutered him even, and feeds strays all the time. i'm pretty sure that's where he hangs out. he didn't like it here, so he split. too many cats in the house made him nervous i think.) i would like to find him and make sure he's ok....
    yes, i'll say it again. cats are tough. they're smart. they're independent. they're solitary. they do as they please. just like people, only probably smarter.

As I said, it depends if the cat is happy with it's indoor life or not.

If you have a yard, or can afford an outdoor enclosure, or want to leash-train them, and they are happy with the outdoor exposure they get, then that's fine.

I'm just saying that if the cat is UNHAPPY with it's life indoors, then you ought to consider letting it do what it naturally wants to do... Quality of life has a lot to do with an animal's emotional well-being, as much as it does with the animal's physical well-being...

And I agree that dogs are more dangerous and destructive when they are feral, and running wild. Dogs kill each other, kill cats, and even sometimes kill people. So yeah, I do not suggest letting dogs run wild. That's not much different than wolves running around in the city. But cats aren't much of a danger to anyone. They get in fights with each other, but that's natural. They can always run away. If they choose to fight, they get hurt. But it's their choice. It's a territory and dominance thing. All a cat has to do, is back down from the other cat, or run away...

Anyhow, people can raise their animals however they want.
    But I just feel bad when I see animals who are neurotic or unhappy because they have no understanding of the outside world...

But if they are totally happy with an indoor life, that's totally fine.
    Same thing with dogs people pamper and treat like children.
    I think the dogs would be happier doing normal dog things.
    But if the dogs are happy being carried in a purse, and
    eating at the kitchen table, and sleeping in the owner's bed,
    then fine. But I'd think a dog would be better off in a more natural situation.

+ Reply to Thread