+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Views on the afterlife.

Default Views on the afterlife.

You know where I'm going with this .

Right now I have my realistic, grounded theory and my fantasy theory. The realistic one is we die and live on in an abstract way. Our nutrients go into the soil and rejoin the ecosystem and our achievements live on in the minds of others (or don't). Any concept of self you had is lost to oblivion. You no longer exist except in the minds of others.

My fantasy (aka, what I'd really want to happen): Head into a heaven of your choosing, ala what dreams may come. Visit people, places, live out your dreams and then reincarnate. You bet your balls I'm re-creating the Forgotten Realms and going on some field trips. The whole Hindu thing with living in heaven then eventually achieving complete freedom and the whole oneness with the universe being the final outcome.

But, having said that I guess if we instantly obtain oblivion upon death then we've achieved the highest goal of Buddhism and most sects of Hinduism.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Views on the afterlife.

The really good thing, is that if there is nothing, you won't know about it!

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

I really think that some people have so much energy that their energy will remain even after death. I like thinking that after I pass I could haunt people.

MorningStar's Avatar Junior Member

Worm Food and memories. Thats it.

I'll probably be reincarnated as a ferret. Since I like shiny things and tend to thieve lighters without realizing it. And sleep curled up on the floor 97% of the time even though I have a bed.

Good thread

My tells me that it is same as your realistic way. But I still have read a lot about afterlife and it there just might be something about it.

How do you explain the dream I had about my mother's boyfriend that committed suicide that night. He was telling me that he'll be always with us and that there's nothing to worry about and that he'll watch upon us.

So from my own experience, no matter how crazy it is there's afterlife or something.

Some say that we'll reincarnate as long until we finish our mission on this realm. Other say that we'll be reincarnating until we reach absolute enlightenment, nirvana. Only then will our minds be able to transcend into other realm. Some say that heaven and hell is just one of the parallel universes that are interacting with ours. That heaven is a perfect universe with perfect laws of physics where there's no black holes and such and that some supreme beings can send you to other dimensions if they want. If by any chance on of those or more is true and you see light after you die you'll see not just one light but more lights. I "heard" green is for reincarnation and right way to do, blue is for afterlife and so on....

Some religions say all souls are trapped on earth until judgment day. That's why, for example, in Islam they cover dead guys eyes so that soul would not wonder away. So earth is trapped with souls apparently, until judgment day of course, and then all will be judged. Buddhism says that karma plays role where and how you would me reincarnated. That only fully achieved karma will be taken into acount. There's no karma as we believe in. Only "what goes around, comes around" in way of risen chance to be afected by something by participating in same thing. Take for example a gang member.

I don't know what to believe in than to just believe in that there's something. What would you like to believe in if there's something?

Most reasonable is one with universes and with reincarnating untill you achieve enlightement and be able to trascend to another one. If you transcend instead of reincarnate while your mission is still not finished here then you'll be vurneable to another beings and they'll send you to hell universe if they please. And so on, use your imagination I just did, but only on that last part. My experiences are real though.

I believe in reincarnation. But I don't think we get reincarnated into animals.
    I believe in some form of heaven, but I don't believe in any hell.
    What I like to think is this : the closest thing to hell that we will ever know, is this earth that we live on. think we're reincarnated time & time again until it's time for us to go on to whatever heaven is.

We might as well all make our own religion/beliefs.
    Be a good person, good karma and all that jazz.
    That's all that matters to me.

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    I'll probably be reincarnated as a ferret. Since I like shiny things and tend to thieve lighters without realizing it. And sleep curled up on the floor 97% of the time even though I have a bed.
    You only can reincarnate as a being of same intelligence or higher. So cats can reincarnate in to humans but humans can't go back to spiders for example. This time it's your Über fail.

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    You only can reincarnate as a being of same intelligence or higher. So cats can reincarnate in to humans but humans can't go back to spiders for example. This time it's your Über fail.
    Ok, then apparently I was a ferret in my FORMER life. Which means my next life I'll be a chinchilla.

Tell that to the Hindus who say you could be reincarnated as a dung beetle for being a dick.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    I really think that some people have so much energy that their energy will remain even after death. I like thinking that after I pass I could haunt people.
    word.
    i think i'm so attached to this life that i'd become a ghost. especially if i die unexpectedly. like "oh, i didn't know i was supposed to be dead..."
    but being a ghost isn't really fun, i don't think.
    now.... i think that there are probably different dimensions. and people go to those when they die. i kind of like to think that what you expect to happen when you die, that's what happens. it's a nice fantasy.
    as for reality... i know my mom's *somewhere.* i can't tell you how i know, i just know. and if i said the angel of death promised to take care of her, then i'd be completely insane.
    >.>
    <.<

cats > humans.
    i wouldn't mind reincarnating as a cat. maybe a witch's familiar? o.O
    while we're fantasizing, why the hell not?
    and i do believe you can go backwards. like how you shouldn't squish bugs cause that could be your mom. it has to do with the cycle of suffering and escaping the cycle. if you don't achieve nirvana, you're stuck in the damn cycle. i don't know about going backward and forward on the intelligence scale. forgot that part. didn't matter to me, i was going to achieve enlightenment, dammit! too bad meditation is fucking boring....
    *used to be into buddhism*

Quote Originally Posted by little-miss-scare-all
    What I like to think is this : the closest thing to hell that we will ever know, is this earth that we live on. think we're reincarnated time & time again until it's time for us to go on to whatever heaven is.

maybe we're all dead and this *is* a hell dimension. o.o
    who the fuck knows.
    but i think there are worse hell dimensions for the truly evil. where else would demons come from? maybe people don't stay in hell places forever, and get a chance to redeem themselves. but if it's pure evil... well, it stays that way.

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

I believe that whatever you truly believe will happen is what happens. IE, if you believe that you will be reincarnated as a butterfly, you will. If you think you are going to just rot in the ground with nothing else, you will.

Good thread

How do you explain the dream I had about my mother's boyfriend that committed suicide that night. He was telling me that he'll be always with us and that there's nothing to worry about and that he'll watch upon us.
    like my dream about god and all the other gods and the creation of mortal beings. it wasn't just a dream, dammit. and i gotta say, god's a slut.
    i like my vision dreams....
    i'm going to be institutionalized for good some day, i just know it. i should keep these things to myself....

Quote Originally Posted by athenahollow
    I believe that whatever you truly believe will happen is what happens. IE, if you believe that you will be reincarnated as a butterfly, you will. If you think you are going to just rot in the ground with nothing else, you will.
    i think this may be true on a certain level. however. my mom was a jehovah's witness. she should be asleep and rotting until after armageddon and the resurrection. but i think in her deepest parts, she didn't want to leave me and my brother for good. so i believe she's on another plane of existence, watching over us. when she isn't watching tv. i know she has unlimited tivo and an unlimited amount of time ... especially since time works different in other dimensions.

edit: hi, yeah, i have a lot to say about this subject. it is the main driving force in my life. i have always been obsessed with death... i think we're becoming friends.

'The afterlife' never struck me as a concept that prompted me having 'views' on it. There's nothing that warrants an explanation.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by soma_stardust
    word.
    i think i'm so attached to this life that i'd become a ghost. especially if i die unexpectedly. like "oh, i didn't know i was supposed to be dead..."
    but being a ghost isn't really fun, i don't think.
    now.... i think that there are probably different dimensions. and people go to those when they die. i kind of like to think that what you expect to happen when you die, that's what happens. it's a nice fantasy.
    as for reality... i know my mom's *somewhere.* i can't tell you how i know, i just know. and if i said the angel of death promised to take care of her, then i'd be completely insane.
    >.>
    <.<
    Watching and hugging my grandfather a few months ago as he took his last breath has me a little confused. There was no smile, though there was a very deep and serene look of peace. I wonder what he was thinking, if he was thinking, in the moments before he passed. He suffered in severe pain for hours and could not really convey that to us. Was he peaceful from the lack of pain? Or peaceful because he saw what we wont see until we pass?

While Ive had no phenomenon due to his passing, I did when Snowflake passed. I wonder if we just WANT to think theres something more, and dreams are just our own way of coping.

Im not afraid of death. Im not really afraid of what happens after death. Do I think theres some magical place where everyone meets and greets and lives some sort of perfect afterlife? No. Do I believe in hell? In a way. If living on this earth isnt hell, I dont know what is.

While I believe somewhat in reincarnation, I believe in different dimensions, in different times. Something far too complex for the human brain to analyze. And because of all that, sometimes our plains and times meet, which makes me think of intelligent paranormal activity. Could the ghosts we see possibly be someone from a whole different world seeing us as ghosts?

So many questions, and never any answers. That is until we die and see for ourselves.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

There's a place just outside of it all, when you die you can go there to rest for a bit............which could be forever or not at all, time doesn't exist there. That's why I'm programming my own afterlife into my head, so I don't get trapped in some other afterlife.............like the christian afterlife for example.

Apparently crop signs are all about that. Intelligent communication from another universe.

I didn't WANTED to think there's something else. I had that dream night he hung him self and we got the news about it in the morning after I woke up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    There's a place just outside of it all, when you die you can go there to rest for a bit............which could be forever or not at all, time doesn't exist there. That's why I'm programming my own afterlife into my head, so I don't get trapped in some other afterlife.............like the christian afterlife for example.
    What sane person would ever want to go to heaven?!

Just imagine douches that piled up there by now.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Apparently crop signs are all about that. Intelligent communication from another universe.

I didn't WANTED to think there's something else. I had that dream night he hung him self and we got the news about it in the morning after I woke up.
    I couldnt even tell you the amount of dreams Ive had that ended up happening just as I dreamed. I think its just another part of the human brain we dont understand;]

Maktub

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

?

Maktub is a old Arabic word for "It's written" meaning everything is already predetermined.

Have you read Alchemist from Paulo Coelho?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl

that's probably what i'm doing to do.
    don't let me get stuck in any kind of judeo-christian version of heaven, please!

Yeah. I would kill my self if I ended up in that heaven.

Suicide in heaven Now that's cool

well, while there are various different 'boxes' inside of wich are different 'heavens'.even though the outer decorations of the 'boxes' is different the insides are all exactly the same. they'er just energy collectors made by different ___________s. It doesn't matter what they're for, all that matters is that your mind hasn't been programmed to one of these traps.

Hey, well, it's the only thing I've been able to figure out that makes any logical sense................and a long time ago I used to drop insane amounts of acid

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I don't know; I guess I'll find out when I get there.....

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Maktub is a old Arabic word for "It's written" meaning everything is already predetermined.

Have you read Alchemist from Paulo Coelho?
    Nope. While I love reading I much prefer true crime. Almost everything else bores me.

In the afterlife you're stuck talking to me for all of eternity.

Which is fine, unless you bore me, or I want to get some sleep or something. In which case I'll probably start kicking you in the groin, and demanding that you give me the numbers for this week's winning lotto or some such.

An eternity of Friendliness.

You.

Me.

Nothing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    In the afterlife you're stuck talking to me for all of eternity.

yeah, see...........one of the boxes I was telling about

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    'The afterlife' never struck me as a concept that prompted me having 'views' on it. There's nothing that warrants an explanation.
    "O" "k"

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    That is exactly what I've thought ghosts are....Left over energy from the deceased.

Quote Originally Posted by little-miss-scare-all

I've always thought that if they're is a God and he loves all of us, what possible evil shit could we really do to perptuate an eternity in Hell. If there really is a Hell, than I would logically think that God would be evil himself for sending us there.

Two other things....

I did once read a book about reincarnation where they interviewed a bunch of very young Indian children that were being raised as Hindus. Alot of them "knew" of their past life. Even what their past names were and certain things of who they used to be. When fact checking these children, the author was amazed to find out it all was true. These past people did exist and what the children remembered about these past lives were true. Fuckin' freaky. Apparently the best way to experiment with this idea is to talk to children just as they learn speech. That way the new info and surroundings to which they now live in hasn't yet made them forget about their "old" existences. Really cool book, btw....

The other thing is scientists say that that whole "light at the end of a tunnel" and the feeling of complete happiness that the "After death" patients experience is because of endorphins(natural pain killers) that are released as the body shuts down and that your eyesight is being "shut off" like the old T.V. sets where the picture slowly fades to a small circle of bright light and that's what they actually see. What you see...Be it dead family members, Hell, or anything else is because your mind is thinking of these things when you die and the endorphins basically enhance that feeling and make it seem that you are actually seeing what you're feeling. There's a doctor( I don't remember his name) that deals with alot of patients that flatline and that they tell him alot of times that during it, they've had the "outer body" experience and they can see him working on them. As an experiment, he installed an LED message that reads "I like ice cream" on top of a cabinet in the surgery room where only "out of body" patients would be able to see it. Not one patient that flat-lined and has had an "out of body" experience in his surgery room has ever been able to say that they saw the message.

Death....It will always be a mystery until you've died.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I just don't understand why so many people, have so many ideas and thoughts about death and the afterlife. I really think it just scares the shit out of people to accept that there is nothing afterwards. You want to think there is, but I really don't think so. I mean think about it... Every religion, and every church, has some totally different ideas about it. From ancient religions and their gods, to reincarnation, heaven and hell, all kinds of crazy stuff. Can't people just realize they are an animal. Flesh, bones, organs, skin, just like any other animal. With a brain. And eyes. Senses... A way to see the world, and experience it. But what makes you think that your mind or "soul" moves on to some "afterlife"? People say they have vague feelings about it, or they imagine it must exist. I think that humans are very creative creatures. Our minds can imagine a great number of things. But that doesn't mean they actually exist. If I saw some physical "angel" type being come and "get" someone's "soul" and I saw them carry it away, then I'd have some reason to believe there is some arena other than what we see on earth. But I don't see that kind of shit. I see people die. And that's it. Just like a dead animal on the side of the road. I think people imagine an afterlife because they are afraid. If you really accept the lack of an afterlife, it's scary. The only thing that isn't scary about dying, is the fact that you won't know about anything once you are dead. But I really think that if you realize this life is it, then it makes the most sense to really enjoy life as much as possible, and make the best out of it. Death is unavoidable. For everyone. So you can't really fight it. So make the best out of life, and accept that death is part of it all.

+ Reply to Thread