+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is anybody else having problems with "drop down" advertisements?

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Default Is anybody else having problems with "drop down" advertisements?

Everytime I go to this site, the drop down ads CONSTANTLY drop down even when I go nowhere near them. Is anybody else having this problem? It's REALLY getting annoying. I spent have my time on here pressing "close".

Default Re: Is anybody else having problems with "drop down" advertisements?

I'm getting the same thing. I've exchanged PMs with Amelia about it, but she hasn't been able to reproduce it, I think.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I know how you feel, but i think its gone now.

Nope. Mine is going on constantly still.

I havent had any drop downs today but it was there last night.
    Is yours still for some computer?

This has never happened to me.. and I don't use any adblockers. So...No idea.

-Windows Vista
    -Firefox 3.0.4
    -Flash player 10

Can't reproduce it either.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

No problems here

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

Same here... Yesterday and today ;( it's annoying

Nonstop...I swear. Fuckin' annoying as shit. Started about a week ago....Just on this site.

If I have to stare at a close up of Don Cheadle or see at Circuit city's fuckin' specials one more time, I'm gonna have to kill something.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

i'm having no problem whatsoever :/

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

No problems here either.

and your little dog too

i'm on firefox and safari and no problems here. can't get the ones which say they expand to expand when i mouse over them either but they click to the sites fine for me.

No, but that fucking HP windows ad bogs down my browser some how? wtf?

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

every now again I get that problem...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I have no idea what your talking about

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Yea, I have, just started very recently too. I thought maybe I just kept mousing over the ads too much, but then again, maybe I am.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

I reported this a while ago with 30 days of night.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    I reported this a while ago with 30 days of night.

That would have been totally unrelated, as it came from a different advertiser, on a different ad server, using wholly different technology.

I still can't replicate what some people seem to be seeing on the current one though, which is very frustrating.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

*nods* sorry, just pointing out we've seen this sort of thing before, so it might be unrelated to what's going on on your side.

At least for me, the thing is that once with every page load, right after everything else has finished loading, it acts like I hovered the add. I can hit refresh and cause it to happen without touching my mouse at all, or if I'm scrolled down far enough without ever seeing the mother ad.

I'd say it has to be either a deliberate function of the add to which some of us are either more vulnerable or for which we're getting targetted specifically, or it's something we have running - software that doubles over the browser to also read the page, or a rougher mouse functionality, which causes the add to think it's been mouse-overed.

Chiqadee's Avatar Member

It is happening to me as well. I just click on the side and it goes away. But it is quite annoying.

I wonder if it is Geo IPed for some areas.

It's been happening to me for the last few days also. Not perfectly consistently, but enough to be reeeally annoying.

Hey, can everyone who is seeing the occasional expanding ads please post what browser they are using. I am not sure, but I think the issue may be that they work perfectly in FireFox and perfectly in Safari but get a lil out of control sometimes in IE.

Free FireFox download at: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/firefox/

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I use IE...............never see anything, but that's probably cause of the firewall

I use IE to browse this site. I've got FF and Chrome, but they're kindof reserved for other purposes, with different bookmark lists, settings and everything.

Ie.

I'm using IE as well.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Internet Explorer

I decided to test it just now to make absolutely sure that I wasn't letting my mouse touch the ad. I refreshed this site and caaaarefully moved my mouse off to the side. And a big old Starbucks ad popped up.

Nah...It's not your mouse. That's for sure. Maybe just a glitch with Internet Explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    Nah...It's not your mouse. That's for sure. Maybe just a glitch with Internet Explorer.

It appears to be a glitch with some recent versions of Internet Explorer. Then again, security experts have been saying that people should skip the recent versions of IE for a variety of reasons.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

It happens when I use firefox, but its no where near as bad

+ Reply to Thread