+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Group Houses

avant-gardener

Default Group Houses

I've been missing group living for awhile now and since we have to move, my partner and I are trying to form a group house (looking for roommates at the moment.)

I haven't lived in a group situation for several years (although I/we did have a roommate in 2003) and I definitely don't want things to crash and burn. Do you group-livers have any tips for success?

My last roommate situation started out great but ended when my roommate, who had been awesome for almost a year, flipped out and proceeded to lose her job, borrow rent money (with the promise of paying it back in a week) then not pay it, disappear for a week when she was supposed to pay, etc... the whole thing was nuts. But before that, she was a great roommate and I'd like something like that again.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Group Houses

I often miss living with a whole bunch of people, although being able to leave food in the fridge without writing on it with a Sharpie is kind of awesome. Finding people in similar circumstances with similar ideas of fiscal responsibility is ideal I think. Someone more free with their cash will want to leave all the lights on and get a higher class of maid service and someone less motivated to earn will, well, borrow rent money and then disappear. If you like parties, you want someone else who either does or is a sound sleeper. If you like quiet, you want someone who doesn't like parties or loud music or at least is willing to use headphones. Messy vs. tidy. That sort of thing is important to consider besides just do you like them.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Just a tip: if you're living in a house full of long-hairs, be sure the responsibility of cleaning out the shower drain doesn't fall on you. Been there, done that, yuck, fucking yuck!
    Good luck with your quest to find suitable roomies.

avant-gardener

All good points, y'all. Although I had thought of the living-style parts the bit about finances hadn't occurred to me.

Hey mystoo, try a hair-catcher. I love mine. I agree, cleaning drains is gross.

Nos's Avatar Senior Member

Like Amelia was talking about .... similar lifestyles and habits are important. The last group home I was involved in had someone leave because he worked 3rd shift on all the days everyone else wanted to party. (Which was everyday!)

There are also the type of roommates what will bring [I]other[I] people to live with them for "just a week." and then that week turns into several months and this "friend" has paid nothing to live there. So you'll want to work out what to be done with all that ahead of time !

XoXo
    and best of luck !

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

I'd love to be in an arts type commune.

I've done the communal living thing and it rocks.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

twenty years or so ago it was alright.........now, I'd rather live in a tent in the park

I made it work by making sure everyone else was paying most of the rent, That way I had money ready when someone fucked up and couldn't produce rent or I had to buy new drywall.............you know, the normal shit that happens with people.

avant-gardener

Hey Bikerpunk, come to Texas

Mr Karl I definitely thought I was too old for this... but I realized that every time I go to my friend's group house, I was wishing to live in a similar place (a place more quiet than his, hee.) So we might give it a shot. The house we have in mind has 2 kitchens, 6 bedrooms, and 2 bathrooms; I figure more space can lead to less tension.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

That's a hell of a house. I did the group house thing with guys I worked with when I was in high school and got kicked out of the house. But at this point, I'm sick of living with people every day, but that's mostly because there's no room in our rooms and I have, of course, no privacy. Weekend roommates works for me though. Use to have a couple friends in Dallas. Got off work on Friday, drove up, chilled and partied for the weekend, went back Sunday night. Good times.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

You know, most people on this planet live communnally. And they listen to each other fuck, and shit.

It's not like we really need any more privacy than we have,

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by 00goddess
    Hey Bikerpunk, come to Texas

Mr Karl I definitely thought I was too old for this... but I realized that every time I go to my friend's group house, I was wishing to live in a similar place (a place more quiet than his, hee.) So we might give it a shot. The house we have in mind has 2 kitchens, 6 bedrooms, and 2 bathrooms; I figure more space can lead to less tension.
    It's like the "Real World" without the glitz, people wishing for a lucky break to get into the "Biz", and editing.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

i used to think all i wanted was to get a single flat somewhere in the burbs and have it be just me my cats and my easel. about a year ago when my ex and i were contemplating moving to Praha, we were looking at getting one of the eight room mansions out there where rent runs like $800 US a month, and a few of our friends were going to come out and live there too, and i fell in love with the concept of a house full of friends all living together and knowing that when i cook the food will get eaten, someone will take out the garbage, etc. even if everyone only does some of the chores, they all get done.

my current living situation is a reflection of that. there are six people here. two "adults", me, Aza, TimmyChaw and Timmy's brother. someone is always in the mood to cook, someone always makes coffee, someone will clean the bathroom, someone will take out the trash. sometimes it's me, sometimes it's someone else. and the fact that four of us can prepare four different dishes in the kitchen and no one bumps into anyone (oh it's so choreographed) it's beautiful. it is kind of ideal. the top floor people are dayshift, we basement dwellers are nightshift, and everything compliments everything else.

you do have to give up a certain amount of personal time and privacy, and make sure that everyone knows not to take the last Dr Pepper, but knowing that there is always someone at the house grants a certain kind of security that no money can buy.

... excuse me i think i have to go write a book.

~K

avant-gardener

Aw, Keiko, you make it sound so nice

So far we have one person who seems like a good roommate prospect... my partner says we have to decide where we're moving by Jan 7. If two people sign on for the house before then, we're going to go for it... otherwise, we'll just get another place by ourselves. I hope hope hope we get someone

If you or someone you know is in Houston, and wants to live with us, contact me! maker93 at gmail.com

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Yeah, there are good sides and bad.

I think the best way is to let each person have their room as messy as they want, but they have to keep the common area somewhat clean.

I just think that personality issues and financial issues are the most common problems with those situations. And it's hard to find smart, responsible people who want or need to share a place. It's usually people with financial issues who find those kind of situations appealing, since the rent is always much cheaper when shared... But it tends to ruin friendships when someone is hassling the other people for rent or their portion of bills, etc...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

it tends to ruin friendships when you have to hassle someone for rent...........

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

If you have a few hours to kill:

http://www.asecular.com/bigfun/

I came across this a few years ago. its the story of a Punk Rock Hippy Commune. half squatting half Not sure what you would call it.

but what is awesome is its written as a Dictionary except that every Definition has a story attached and links to other definitions so you read it all in a very roundabout way.

but the entire tone of the writting has this Sad Yearning for days long past feel to it. I admit I got a little misty the first time I read through it.

Cheers
    Skully

+ Reply to Thread