+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any advice please?

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Default Any advice please?

Like most people on here I like to be behind a camera, but I really don't know much about all the different stuff that comes in these new, ultra fancy cameras. I also don't have anything or anyone worth photographing right now. But, I was planning on buying a new camera when I get back to the states and trying my hand. Hell, if nothing else at least I'll have a cool camera.

So, my question is, what would be good cameras to look at for someone without a lot of experience? Less expensive is nice, but I want to be able to take some really good quality photos.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Any advice please?

I always go for small things, they don't take up much room in your pocket.........

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

It's really a "do I look good in this?" type question - there's no right or wrong answer; it depends what you want to use it for. These days all half-decent digi cameras have enough pixels (8M or above) for online and pro-am print work, so unless you're shooting Vogue covers the factors to consider are all about features vs price. If you're outdoors snappy-style, compacts are good (Fuji does great quality on compacts), if you're doing more studio-style stuff an SLR or SLR-clone can give easier access to the manual stuff (many compacts have manual settings, but buried inside multiple menus. A camera with knobs is way faster to work with if you actually need to twiddle them). Do you need specific features (external flash, etc.) or something that'll do video for YouTube-esque moments? Mega zoom for spying on...(cough) capturing wildlife, waterproof for sauna...(cough) capturing wildlife, etc.

Unless you need it, avoid true digi SLRs (with swappable lenses) as they take a lot of care and maintenance - the SLR-shaped 'clones' with a permanent lens can be just as good for pro-am level work but protect their innards from dust.

As to which brand and model - ask 50 people and you'll get 50 answers. There's no real outstanding winner anymore until you get to the big bucks end of the market, so do your homework on the review sites and go for whatever takes your fancy.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Pretty much anything that's name brand and $100.00 or more is fine. I'd stay away from Kodak's though. They have a super bad reputation from what I've read. The higher the megapixel, the better the picture looks when blown up. 8 is pretty standard now and is perfect no matter how big you print it. Most cameras are pretty user friendly for those who just want to "click" pics automatically(auto focus, auto flash...That kind of thing).

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

I use a samsung s630 for pics for my site.

Does great quality with just good lighting. I use a torchiere lamp w/ an adjustable spotlight and a standard table lamp for my lighting

Janiac02's Avatar Opera Diva Extraordinaire

I've got nothing useful to add to this, but wanted to say thanks for asking, this info helps me out too :-)

Poking around the dpreview website (Not as dirty fun as it sounds) helped me out a lot. My only beef was I bought my camera just before the newer, better and cheaper model was announced.

My D50 has made me very happy (except for the previously mentioned newer, cheaper versions that keep coming out) but the DX lenses I am not crazy about (the ones with the starter kit). At 6 megapixels I seldom need more, but lets be honest, we always will find an excuse for more power. But I got this as a camera to grow into. I still have not spent enough time to use it to it's max. It is what I wanted to build up my skills before I start looking at cameras that cost as much as my car.

But fish around, play with stuff at stores and see whatcha like.

Cool, thanks for the help everyone. I'm not exactly technologically advanced other than some computer capabilities and and ipod. And helicopter electronics, but I don't think any of that really applies here.

I'll probably end up buying a couple. A small one I can take to the club/bar with me and another for real quality pro-am and try to get a chance to use that.

+ Reply to Thread