+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: playing with your food.....

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Default playing with your food.....

oky, not really, but kinda. I'm eating golden raspberries right now, and they are kinda fun to disect..... but anyway here's my question:
    do you mix up all the food on your plate when you eat it or do you eat everything separately?

personally, I don't like the items on my plate touching each other, and I like to eat them separately. I guess its a wierd quirk of mine. my bf mixes everything up. for some reason, this drives me crazy, and bugs the crap out of me, lol.

et tu?
    (and you?)

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Default Re: playing with your food.....

I had an ex like you, and she could never explain why it mattered so much, but it sure as heck did. There's a career of analysis in a quirk like that.

It doesn't bother me either way - if someone mixed the peas and potatoes I wouldn't run screaming from the room or demand each pea be taken away and washed of any trace of potatoeyness, but practically there are times it makes sense not to hash everything together . If the plate has liquidy stuff and crispy stuff (e.g. a pie, curry and popadums, etc.) it rather spoils the textures to stir everything into a homogeneous pulp, but going as far as laying out french fries to form levees between the carrots and beans is a little too far. Yes, she did that once.

your ex is fucking far more wierd than me. I thought I was picky, but she makes me look normal, lol. I know why I like it all separate. its because I like to appreciate all the flavors seperately. that, and I like my plate to look nice and tidy. I'm really in to the presentation aspect of food.

she really made levees with fries? wow. I thought I was bad. she's way worse.

If she topped it with Hershey syrup she could call it a "chocolate city"......

bad form

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I can't have my food touching either. I don't know why, it just bugs me. What really bugs me though is people who put ketchup on everything. Yuck. Why would you want all your food to taste like ketchup? I don't even put ketchup on my fries. They're much better with mayo.

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    What really bugs me though is people who put ketchup on everything. Yuck. Why would you want all your food to taste like ketchup?
    ew! totally. I had an ex that put hot sauce on everything. it pissed me off so much that I refused to cook for him.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

mmmmm ketchup and mayo, or for gourmets tomato sauce and mayo, with black olives

pizza's my favorite food...........guess I like it all messed together

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    your ex is fucking far more wierd than me. I thought I was picky, but she makes me look normal, lol. I know why I like it all separate. its because I like to appreciate all the flavors seperately. that, and I like my plate to look nice and tidy. I'm really in to the presentation aspect of food.

she really made levees with fries? wow. I thought I was bad. she's way worse.

Indeed she was, and indeed she did, which goes to explain why she's an ex. If you pick up dates in hospitals, always read their notes first.

Talking of presentation, have you read Rude Food (Thorpe and LePoste's archetypal 80s coffee-table book, the must-have of every studio photographer on the planet)? It can have curious effects on more severe OCD food-separatists. (Yep, there's a term for it)

Rocco1965's Avatar Junior Member

I really love to cook so the whole presentation aspect I get as when I set the table for my girls I "try to make it as appealing as possible" As for the whole keep my fries off my burger thingy I used to be a bartender and had a regular who wanted seperate plates for certain foods!!!! Course she was so hot no one in the kitchen seemed to mind but I still never got it and never had the nerve to ask her why directly! plus she was a great tipper I figured hey its her stomach let her fill anyway she wants....

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i dont just keep things seperated, i go so far as to only like to have one dish on my plate at a time.

Nos's Avatar Senior Member

I like to keep things seperated at first ... then by the end of the meal I star to mix and match creating new combos of food.

If it's a layered food .... say something wraped in cheese or sushi, I'll eat all the layers by themselves. I won't eat it all together.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I'm from the Southern School of Cooking, as in I like Cajun food. So, basically, I throw everything into a pot then pour it over rice. Gumbo, Red Beans and Rice, Eutufee, Jumbalaya, all that stuff. Not to mention Asian food, I love Bulgogi. Add to that stews and pot roasts where all I have to do is throw a big lump of cow into a crock pot with some vegetables. I was on my own a lot so I just made whatever concoction I could pull off, froze it, then when I was actually around to eat, warmed it up and threw it on some rice and called it a meal.

I've worked in a lot of restaurants, so I do like having the clean, neat look of everything seperated on a plate, but at the same time, some good looking plates come with things touching. Like a surf-and-turf we did at one of the places, a 6oz fillet with a 6oz lobster tail over it, surrounded by the mashed potatoes and either a certain type of green that would go fine around the sides (steamed brocollie, asparagas, etc) or the greens on a small sideplate.

I see both sides, but for the most part, unless it's something fancy (at least for me) that I'm eating, I'm usually in a hurry to shovel it down and get back to whatever I was doing, so I'll pile the stuff together. Then again, I've been known to eat 3 course meals in under 3 minutes when in a rush.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I keep it all separated. My big pet peeve is corn juice touching my other foods. Yuck! I see my food the same way the South saw blacks and whites before the 60's...You got to keep 'em segregated.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey
    I'm from the Southern School of Cooking, as in I like Cajun food. So, basically, I throw everything into a pot then pour it over rice. Gumbo, Red Beans and Rice, Eutufee, Jumbalaya, all that stuff. Not to mention Asian food, I love Bulgogi. Add to that stews and pot roasts where all I have to do is throw a big lump of cow into a crock pot with some vegetables. I was on my own a lot so I just made whatever concoction I could pull off, froze it, then when I was actually around to eat, warmed it up and threw it on some rice and called it a meal.

I've worked in a lot of restaurants, so I do like having the clean, neat look of everything seperated on a plate, but at the same time, some good looking plates come with things touching. Like a surf-and-turf we did at one of the places, a 6oz fillet with a 6oz lobster tail over it, surrounded by the mashed potatoes and either a certain type of green that would go fine around the sides (steamed brocollie, asparagas, etc) or the greens on a small sideplate.
    stuff like gumbo, pizza, etoufee, lasagna, beans and rice don't count. I'm talking about getting you vegetable in your pasta or some such....

whoever designed that plate at your old restaurant should be shot; its an aesthetic nightmare, a pile of clutter. there's too much food on the plate if your vegetable doesn't fit on the same plate as your protiens and carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    I keep it all separated. My big pet peeve is corn juice touching my other foods. Yuck! I see my food the same way the South saw blacks and whites before the 60's...You got to keep 'em segregated.
    that would gross me out just because it was corn. I hate corn. all corn and corn products.

I'm sorry...corn juice?

homicidal_kiss's Avatar Random

i'm totally one of those people who blocks off food from each other. i've used fries, bread, toast, and other such foods as walls and levees against liquidy foods and sauces.

unless it's leftover thanksgiving food, then i mix it all together in a bowl. yum.

I'm sorry...corn juice?
    You know. The water that it's packed in, in the can. Even after you drain it, there's still a little liquid left. Sometimes you scoop a spoonful of corn, put it on the plate and the liquid runs to the other food. Ewww!

of all the corn I hate, I hate canned corn the most. I might hate canned creamed corn even more though. ick.

that would gross me out just because it was corn. I hate corn. all corn and corn products.
    Even corn chips?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    Even corn chips?
    I hate fritos. corn tortilla chips are cool though as long as they have salsa on them.

Bedlamite

I like to mix up flavors, stack my bites. I'm a dipper, and a mixer, and love everything to end up in a big stew.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

As with all things, I'm fully versatile, mood depending. Some days, I like to try various combinations of the items on my plate. Other days, I like to enjoy each individual flavor. And sometimes, I just toss it all in and see what happens.

Food, like all joys in life, should be adventurous!

It wasn't so much that they wouldn't fit, it just looked nice when they were put on a certain way. It might not sound great, but we had a lot of people complimenting us on it.

Oh, I also tend to shove meat onto a fork, then veggies, then scoop it into mashed potatoes, but I'm usually in a hurry. I take it you don't care for shishkabobs?

No, shishkabobs don't count b/c you still eat all the different foods in separate bites.

Unless you have a big mouth and bite from the side then slide it all into your mouth. Isn't that how you're suppose to do it?

I don't think there's specific rules. Maybe you're the exception.

Usually am.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    I...love everything to end up in a big stew.
    Well, eventually, that's inevitable.

I've never figured out why people eat so much corn when it's obvious it's barely digestable

I guess pizza doesn't count, but then why do people have a problem with food touching other food, just put it in another bowl if it bugs you.

food wierdos

Bedlamite

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    Well, eventually, that's inevitable.
    Heh. I mean on my plate.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

oky, not really, but kinda. I'm eating golden raspberries right now, and they are kinda fun to disect..... but anyway here's my question:
    do you mix up all the food on your plate when you eat it or do you eat everything separately?

personally, I don't like the items on my plate touching each other, and I like to eat them separately. I guess its a wierd quirk of mine. my bf mixes everything up. for some reason, this drives me crazy, and bugs the crap out of me, lol.

et tu?
    (and you?)
    I keep everything separate for the most part. My grandfather did it more to the extent you do though. The rice didn't touch the salad didn't touch the ... It was more pronounced when he went on a whole foods diet towards the end. He liked everything plain too. I generally won't use a lot of condiments either. Coffee is black. Rice is plain. I did have a vodka sour the other night though. That's usually straight.

OEC

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I can't have my food touching either. I don't know why, it just bugs me. What really bugs me though is people who put ketchup on everything. Yuck. Why would you want all your food to taste like ketchup? I don't even put ketchup on my fries. They're much better with mayo.

I have Barbeque suace with pretty much everythin. I didnt notice til my housemate mentioned it

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

i keep my foods separate, too.... and i eat each portion one at a time.... and then consciously try not to because someone pointed out to me that i did that.... lmao.
    i also like dissecting foods like raspberries and the insides of oranges.... those tiny individual juice-filled pods are nummers. (needless to say, i love pomegranate.)

Something prompts me to imagine a future episode of America's Most Wanted.

"In her early life, she was known to dissect her food... a personality trait that we now know ultimately led to the Great Idaho Clown Massacre of 2017...."

eek!
    clowns scare me.

eek!
    clowns scare me.
    That's where I got the idea from.

Quote Originally Posted by soma_stardust
    i keep my foods separate, too.... and i eat each portion one at a time.... and then consciously try not to because someone pointed out to me that i did that....
    on one of my last visits to portland a good friend and I went out to lebanese food. I ordered the mezza, which comes on different plates. my friend pointed out the same thing yours did. my response was "yep, I do."

Quote Originally Posted by soma_stardust
    i also like dissecting foods like raspberries and the insides of oranges.... those tiny individual juice-filled pods are nummers. (needless to say, i love pomegranate.)
    I do that too. You should see how long it takes me to eat a grapefruit. I have to peel all the skin off.

+ Reply to Thread