+ Reply to Thread

Thread: You want to see a teenage vampire love story that doesn't suck dong?

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Default You want to see a teenage vampire love story that doesn't suck dong?

You should watch "Let the Right One In."

It's Sweedish I believe so there's subtitles. But it's got a great story and real vampires, none of that "I sparkle in the day time" shit.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: You want to see a teenage vampire love story that doesn't suck dong?

Default Re: You want to see a teenage vampire love story that doesn't suck dong?

I dunno; my favorite teenage vampire love story sucks dong quite openly.

Also, what's a real vampire?

How wonderful for you...

Yeah, I should have put the word real in quotes but in this case it means one that actually follows the common vampire mythos and doesn't turn it all faggy and Mormon.

Ah, k. People say 'real vampires', I tend to think of internet angstoccultists going on to describe 'human living vampirism' as a 'medical condition' in a length of pseudoscientific terminology spiced up with a lot of words starting with 'sangui-', but that hardly seemed like you.

That said, I rather like my vampire mythos faggy. If I think of a kind of vampire fiction that is 'you', I think From Dusk Till Dawn 2 - and frankly, that sucked.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

the first one was alright

True dat.

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf

It's Sweedish I believe so there's subtitles. But it's got a great story and real vampires, none of that "I sparkle in the day time" shit.
    Awww, what? Didn't like Twilight :puke:

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf

Where did you watch this? On DVD? It looks good.

The first D2D is awesome. You can't argue with a jackhammer stake.

I read about it on somebody's "Best of 2008" list and then got it off torrents. (This movie, not D2D)

homicidal_kiss's Avatar Random

i want to see "let the right one in" so bad. it looks very good. i've known about it for a while, but the closest showing is an hour away

Let the right one in is a surprisingly good movie.

I don't even want to watch Twilight after hanging out here. I don't think I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by homicidal_kiss
    i want to see "let the right one in" so bad. it looks very good. i've known about it for a while, but the closest showing is an hour away
    If you're here, you have internets.

Use them.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't really want to see either one. I think i'll watch Nosferatu, that's a pretty good movie.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

ahh... i want to see that. thanks for posting it cause i had forgotten the name. o3o

and your little dog too

i'll have to check that out.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I actually liked Twilight, story was reasonably good but i\I liked Myers writing style more.

Downloaded it, it's decent. A bit tame in substance, but doesn't try to be wholesome in its execution too much, which is actually unusual for a 'kids perspective' film. Cute characters.

It actually is pretty gay though; when the vampire kid said "I'm not a girl" it wasn't just about the vampire/human distinction.

Bedlamite

"My Best Friend Is a Vampire" with Robert Sean Leonard.

It sucks, but its wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    15 year olds on my-space who don't get enough attention from their parents?

Quote Originally Posted by LeilaHazlett
    15 year olds on my-space who don't get enough attention from their parents?
    Oh, I love those. Mine was 13, even; she was obscenely cute, a 'human living vampire', bisexual and she talked about morbid stuff, cutting herself, wearing collars - how edgy was that? No dad, hateful disfunctional mom, and ******* didn't even exist yet.

I was 15, a total nerd, playing a vampire in an RPG. Had quite the cyber-crush on her for quite a while. I'm pretty sure that to this day, she defines a lot of what goth means to me. She's stopped dying her hair black years ago and dates military men now, but I still read her livejournal.

Bedlamite

I was trying to figure out your context thar, Raz. Do you mean those idiots who frequent Goth forums and proclaim any of the following:

- They think they are 'Awakening',
    - Sunlight hurts their eyes,
    - Their steaks are never rare enough,
    - They seem to have a strange power over people,
    - They are allergic to silver/garlic,
    - Although they look 15 with Halloween discount makeup, they are actually 300,
    - They can suck life-energy by interacting with their friends,
    - No one understands them,
    - They drink their own blood, and it makes them feel better.

If the answer is yes, you have a 'real vampire' on your hands. Because being an Emo kid wasn't embarrassing enough.

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    I was trying to figure out your context thar, Raz. Do you mean those idiots who frequent Goth forums and proclaim any of the following:

If the answer is yes, you have a 'real vampire' on your hands. Because being an Emo kid wasn't embarrassing enough.

Oh dear yes, that's the ones. I used to hang at the darkness.com fora, and the site's proprietor also had the vampires.com url lead there. We spawned those things by the second.

That said, I wouldn't be so hard on them. Barring the three ages old thing and probably the garlic (but not 'silver', if they've been buying cheap jewelry) allergy, all those observations are either perfectly realistic or have an explanation in a real-life phenomenon that approaches the same results.

When you've been feeling like you don't connect to anyone and you run into a culture claiming that such 'vampires' exist and presenting you with a largely applicable list of personal signs, the conclusion seems both obvious and heaven-sent. I don't hold it against them. Adults believe far dumber things every day, and at that age you may believe in science and a natural world because you've been taught that it's right, but you most likely don't believe in it because you understand the underlying philosophical principles - and being right without understanding why really isn't much of an intellectual highground. I'd put more stock in a mind that's self-servingly imaginative and doesn't accept restrictions it hasn't put there itself, than in one that pro-actively buys everything it's told by people in positions of authority and sits there waiting to find out why.

It also predates emo by quite a bit, I think.

Bedlamite

When you've been feeling like you don't connect to anyone and you run into a culture claiming that such 'vampires' exist and presenting you with a largely applicable list of personal signs, the conclusion seems both obvious and heaven-sent. I don't hold it against them.
    You don't, but I do. And I proclaim the right to think that its retarded and delusional for idiot kids to be coddled while they go around thinking they are vampires.

I have a problem with iron that makes me slightly anemic, but low absorbtion so iron suppliments make me sick. I have to eat some nice underdone steak, spinache, or even some chocolate when I feel a little under the weather. I also hate sunlight, and have a knack for knowing what's going on with the people around me a bit better than other seem to.

Not now, nor ever will I go onto any message boards, or proclaim that all this makes me a special sparkley vampire of doom, and argue with people, and disrupt the normal with fucked up culty delusion that on most of these forums is EXPECTED to be tolerated with silence.

Also, imo, not making fun of some 16-year-old kid who thinks he is a master of demons, communicating with aliens, or Aleister Crowley reincarnated is wrong. Part of being an ever-eldering Goth is to make sure that at least some people are aware that we all don't think we are complete fruitcakes.

I grew up in Southern California, I'm used to freeks, fruitcakes, and weirdos. That doesn't mean I should tolerate some idiot kid trying to pretend he's a real vampire, instead of just being a huge fan of them. Enabling mental illness of that degree isn't my bag, and I'd highly discourage anyone else from doing it.

It also predates emo by quite a bit, I think.
    Emo has been around longer than you think. Its a recycled term from the handful of post-punk movements that would later become defined genera's today. From what I recall, Emotional Punk has been around since at least the late 80's.

Granted, fucked up, future serial killer delusional @sshole vampire-wanna be kids likely predate us all, if you want to be technical.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

alleister Crowley reincarnated................that I'd like to see

vampyrdraven666's Avatar *lying in my coffin*

you and i need to talk more, raza. i am a true vampyr. not just drinking blood for kicks or bc its cool...bc its life. you should check out my post.

vampyrdraven666's Avatar *lying in my coffin*

i read twilight. she butchered my people's history. we are nothing like any of those horrendous displays. she disgraces us.

Hey allah, look one post above you...

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Here's one of those "I'll blow your mind" sentences...Bram Stoker's "Dracula" was fiction. Sorry to give all you vamps the 411 on a reality check but...Yeah....No such fuckin' real thing.

David Boreanz is the actor on "Angel", btw...He now stars on "Bones". Yeah...He's not really a vampire. Neither is Lestat or all the other fictional characters you've believed in or hey...If you're really the shit and don't believe in any of those fictional characters but believe in real true vampires...Good for you, but, yeah, there really isn't anything such as real vampires, so stop sucking yours or someone's blood...It does no good except, maybe, possibly helping in you contracting a disease.

Bedlamite

Quote Originally Posted by allah
    Have you been watching too much South Park or is there seriously kids wandering around in American high schools convinced that they're vampires? Coz if thats true they'd be way cooler than goths IMO and they'd certainly have more claim to the apparel. Maybe you’re just jealous coz they’re the real thing?
    South Park is making fun of a rampant sub-culture shit-stain. "True Vampires" As the term has been introduced to us have spread across the internet like some raging disease of stupid.

Just look the term up on Google. Its difficult to find a Goth community in this day and age that is not infested with a bunch of very silly people that will attempt to convince you they are real vampires.

I'd be a bit more forgiving frankly, but they are quite vicious when it is revealed you don't believe in them, or vampires.

Frankly, its why I've ended up settling on BB for my 'main alternative' message board community. At least a bunch of jerks also think that thinking you are a REAL Vampire is lame too.

South Park is making fun of a rampant sub-culture shit-stain. "True Vampires" As the term has been introduced to us have spread across the internet like some raging disease of stupid.

Just look the term up on Google. Its difficult to find a Goth community in this day and age that is not infested with a bunch of very silly people that will attempt to convince you they are real vampires.

I'd be a bit more forgiving frankly, but they are quite vicious when it is revealed you don't believe in them, or vampires.

Frankly, its why I've ended up settling on BB for my 'main alternative' message board community. At least a bunch of jerks also think that thinking you are a REAL Vampire is lame too.
    Speaking as, what seems to be the head of this "bunch of jerks", we also think "goths" are dumb too.

Quote Originally Posted by vampyrdraven666
    i read twilight. she butchered my people's history. we are nothing like any of those horrendous displays. she disgraces us.
    Do you like live? Role playing irl? Once I went to this one with vampires theme. It was sexy

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Quote Originally Posted by vampyrdraven666
    "my people"? what do you mean "my people"....

sexy hot vampires didn't exist until the 1800s.... before that they were bloated corpses from the grave (read some more of "your" history)

the vampyre (french spelling) myth was made sexy first by english literature (keep up with me here) and then it died out for a while until anne rice brought it back with a fury... even then it took many years to truly catch on.... but hell... live how you want, believe what you want... just don't get upset when people make fun of you... or the cheerleaders beat you senseless at homecoming... again...

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

hepatitis and HIV suck.... practice safe blood sucking dear.....

Also, imo, not making fun of some 16-year-old kid who thinks he is a master of demons, communicating with aliens, or Aleister Crowley reincarnated is wrong. Part of being an ever-eldering Goth is to make sure that at least some people are aware that we all don't think we are complete fruitcakes.
    Heh. To me, part of being an ever-young counterculturist is seeing to it that the safe and solid majorities - securely entrenched in their pretenses of maturity as one tends to find them - get made fun of proportionally. These kids are no more delusional than followers of any mystical religion - by some reckonings no more delusional that less thoroughly critically inclined secularists, even - but they're far, far easier targets. I like to see things mixed up a bit beyond the 'obvious'.

Certainly they can often do with a good mocking; as can everyone, and it'll be my pleasure to provide. But people wanting to do some serious pronunciation of their Rightful Truths should watch their highgrounds, lest they crumble down to level and look sillier for the effort.

I grew up in Southern California, I'm used to freeks, fruitcakes, and weirdos. That doesn't mean I should tolerate some idiot kid trying to pretend he's a real vampire, instead of just being a huge fan of them. Enabling mental illness of that degree isn't my bag, and I'd highly discourage anyone else from doing it.
    I see where you're coming from, but I find that demanding that people be completely rational is a hopeless waste of effort. And if I can accept that someone is wrong about something like a silly political issue or the supposed (un)healthiness of some food product or another, why should this be any different? In a purely logical sense, all it takes is one well-planted error to bloom a vast tree of absurdity. Shit, I'm wrong about stuff like, all the time - and frankly, most people are dumber than me.

I can kind of appreciate the romantic grandeur of a fantastic delusion like this over the far more boring and commonplace delusions of popular opinion. If someone's otherwise good company - or even just a cute underage goth kid ready to indulge sweet, sweet rebellion () - why bother disapproving?

Emo has been around longer than you think. Its a recycled term from the handful of post-punk movements that would later become defined genera's today. From what I recall, Emotional Punk has been around since at least the late 80's.

Granted, fucked up, future serial killer delusional @sshole vampire-wanna be kids likely predate us all, if you want to be technical.
    I've heard that Emo 'is' 'Emotionally Motivated Hardcore Punk' or somesuch, but I think that's kinda like saying that goth 'is' post-punk or 'New Romantic' or some similar more obscure movement it may have roots in or historical overlap with. Mostly it's something the teenier participants of the subculture (along with the odd authentic music geek internet-radio DJ) like to bring up to sound fancy and exclusive, or dissociate themselves from the negative stereotypes that inevitably get associated with a more popularly accepted subcultural label. By the time that kind of obscurity starts seeming desirable, the wave of popularity the subculture experienced to get there will usually have mutated it well beyond those historical roots.

Bedlamite

These kids are no more delusional than followers of any mystical religion
    That is no argument for why I shouldn't be perfectly within my right to be standing on my soap-box proclaiming they are nuts. They are not some picked on minority group within the Gothic Community. They are frequently supported, and tolerated over the people that think they are stupid.

There is a rather deep line between the delusion that there is a Mystical Creator-Energy of some type, A god, an Afterlife, what have you, and the belief that you ARE a mystical creature. Its not a misunderstanding.

As I've reiterated previously, I'd give them a break if they had a slightly-too romantic obsession with Vampires, Nightdwelling, or where living out a self-aware fantasy. This isn't the case. These people believe they are Vampires, and that they are simply misunderstood by the world at large. They don't need a place in our social structure, they need a shrink, and frankly it is the place of older people at least express the opinion that they are doing it wrong.

But people wanting to do some serious pronunciation of their Rightful Truths should watch their highgrounds, lest they crumble down to level and look sillier for the effort.
    I've made myself a fool about a thousand times proclaiming my opinions, why should this be any different?

I see where you're coming from, but I find that demanding that people be completely rational is a hopeless waste of effort.
    No one is demanding anyone be completely rational. that is a construct of a philosophical tendency to take my written words as black and white without shades of gray.

Although you are quite good at Devil's Advocating, you yourself in the deepest sense must see the difference between the 'playacting' of self-aware fantasy, and the fucking certifiably delusional.

Not to mention I've drifted quietly in the Internet Goth community for quite some time, and for some mood-shift, I feel the need to finally state my opinion about this particular subject.

If someone's otherwise good company - or even just a cute underage goth kid ready to indulge sweet, sweet rebellion () - why bother disapproving?
    A cute, underage Goth kid looking to explore their darkside is utterly unequal to lowering yourself to being a retarded, socially backward coven leader who has so much unwarranted self-importance, and an utter lack of other charms that their only way to receive the attention of anyone is to prey on teenagers who are already looking for a way to be different.

I personally find exposing someone to a path that may teach them more about themselvs, or reveal facets of themselves that end up making them the person that they eventually become of no particular offence... but lowering oneself to brainwashing on such an idioitic level makes me pity and revile the humanity involved.

Anything worth doing is worth doing better than that.

That is no argument for why I shouldn't be perfectly within my right to be standing on my soap-box proclaiming they are nuts.

I've made myself a fool about a thousand times proclaiming my opinions, why should this be any different?
    By all means, get up there and do your thing. I've often voiced my blanket support for declarations of nuthood; don't you be the exception.

There is a rather deep line between the delusion that there is a Mystical Creator-Energy of some type, A god, an Afterlife, what have you, and the belief that you ARE a mystical creature. Its not a misunderstanding.
    I don't agree. An afterlife requires that some aspect of us itself transcends our physical forms upon death; any being presumed to have a 'soul' is just as mystical your favorite brand of vampire myth; only thing different is the creature stat block. A mystical creator, similarly, would only be required for a mystical creation - otherwise a physical one would suffice.

Philosphically speaking the big line is crossed when you delve into a 'supernatural' of any kind, when you add a layer of mysticism around the physics that govern the universe and depart from the ideal of the naturally explicable. Anything from there on - be it gods, ghosts, vampires or leprechauns - is just filler.

No one is demanding anyone be completely rational. that is a construct of a philosophical tendency to take my written words as black and white without shades of gray.
    I'll accept any nuance, but shades of grey are arbitrary, and arbitrariness implies inadequate reasoning.

All convictions, including the epistemological foundations that we base other beliefs on, are subject to the same mental mechanics and rationality or the lack of it. With everything interrelated, you can never truly selectively permit irrationality. And the very nature of an irrational conclusion is that of one unbound by logical sequence; to condemn one based on it's result (such as a belief in vampirism) rather than its flawed founding principle is absurd. To say that irrationality is permissible in any situation, you must accept that out of that situation can stem any (false) conviction.

As I've reiterated previously, I'd give them a break if they had a slightly-too romantic obsession with Vampires, Nightdwelling, or where living out a self-aware fantasy. This isn't the case. These people believe they are Vampires, and that they are simply misunderstood by the world at large. They don't need a place in our social structure, they need a shrink, and frankly it is the place of older people at least express the opinion that they are doing it wrong.

Although you are quite good at Devil's Advocating, you yourself in the deepest sense must see the difference between the 'playacting' of self-aware fantasy, and the fucking certifiably delusional.
    From what I've seen, the distinction you make here is never quite that clear. Usually they are slightly-too-romantic misfit teens with an active imagination. Belief isn't so black and white in the mind as they assert it on the internet; it is perfectly possible for them to say they believe it and believe that they do while at the same time retaining, for better or worse, that facet of their minds that recognises it as an idea that finds next to zero social affirmation and therefore retains complete and constant mutability. This is exactly why most drift out of it again without ever being 'deconverted' or anything similarly sudden.

The threads and challenges are show. Tests, opportunities to polarise the internal debate and overcome caution by getting a side picked by default, as your critics pick the other in a fashion too alien to your mind to sympathise with, allowing you to distantiate yourself from what you don't want to be true by turning it 'us vs them'. The arguments they pick online are a way to experience the conviction they want to have, but most lack the intellectual independence to sustain the belief outside that controlled setting for any noteworthy degree of certainty or extend of time.

Bedlamite

That one's not half bad.

I think I've been used in a demotivational poster once. Either that or a lolcat.

+ Reply to Thread