+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: should fish be called sea kittens instead of fish?

and your little dog too

Default should fish be called sea kittens instead of fish?

PETA wants to rename fish "sea kittens"

from la times

Pity the humble goldfish (and his cousins the salmon, trout and tuna). They're suffering, according to PETA, from a serious image problem. And PETA is aiming to fix that through a new campaign -- one that, they hope, will cause people to think of undersea creatures as they think of their beloved mammalian pets. From the campaign's website:

People don't seem to like fish. They're slithery and slimy, and they have eyes on either side of their pointy little heads -- which is weird, to say the least. Plus, the small ones nibble at your feet when you're swimming, and the big ones -- well, the big ones will bite your face off if Jaws is anything to go by.

Of course, if you look at it another way, what all this really means is that fish need to fire their PR guy -- stat.

The campaign's aim? To rename fish "sea kittens." In an interview with NPR's Anne Hillman, PETA campaign coordinator Ashley Byrne explains:

"Fish not only have the same ability to feel pain as a dog or a cat, but they also communicate with one another," she says. "They have complex social interactions; they form bonds; they express affection by gently rubbing against one another...

"Most parents would never dream of spending a weekend torturing kittens for fun with their families, but hooking a sea kitten through the mouth and dragging her through the water is the same as hooking a kitten through the mouth and dragging her behind your car," Byrne says.

The Sea Kitten campaign launched in North Carolina, but PETA plans to expand it across the nation, according to NPR. And they've already asked South Dakota's Spearfish High School to change its name to "Sea Kitten High School."

What do you think -- is this a step too far? Or do our finned friends need an image overhaul?

-- Lindsay Barnett

Default Re: should fish be called sea kittens instead of fish?

That is freakin' funny.

sea-kittens?

hahaha

Well I guess I need to get back out on the river and catch some more sea-kittens, hahaha

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Absurd.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I already think of them as chicken of the sea. can we please stick to one barnyard analogy?

when you get right down to it the point that they are trying to get across is valid, too bad they just tried to hook you (pun intended) with a retarded catchphrase that is immediately going to turn everyone off.

PETA is a fucking joke. They would rather see people die than let an animal be harmed...yet the president of PETA uses animal products to stay alive, fucking hypocrites.

However I do like the term "sea kittens"...but that's what baby seals should be called.

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

.only if we can call dolphins "sea wolves" and killer whales ,"sea pandas"

and humpbacks quazimoto whales

Quote Originally Posted by LeilaHazlett
    They would rather see people die than let an animal be harmed...yet the president of PETA uses animal products to stay alive, fucking hypocrites.
    So would I, but that wouldn't exclude the president of PETA, although I don't think they would be the highest order on the list. Hypocrites have their place on the 8th circle of Dante's Inferno. Perhaps a little bit of tweaking is in order, but it's not a bad categorization.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

kittens don't like water.......................fish do

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Stupid.

The bottom line the PETA people need to understand, is that death and suffering is NATURAL. It happens all the time in the natural world. Creatures hunt, kill, maim, and torment other creatures.

It's the way the world works. It's called NATURE.

I have no problem with reducing the pain involved in killing other animals.
    And I have no problem with the idea of making their lives as pleasant
    as possible. But it's normal and natural for people to kill animals,
    just as it's normal and natural for animals to kill each other...

hear hear to TDK

Quote Originally Posted by allah
    WI have a sneaking suspicion that PETA is actually an organisation run by hyper-carnivores and its purpose is to make a joke out of the prevention of cruelty to animals.
    Dude, that is exactly what I think!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    It's the way the world works. It's called NATURE
    I don't buy that. The majority of the shit that people do is not natural, other than in the abstract way that everything, such as nuclear bombs, can be said to be "natural".

I don't really want to go so much into it here, but the distinction between the two ways you could say has to do with intellectual design versus genetic/evolutionary process. Most large-scale operations in "nature" arise from species development, as opposed to what can be called advanced societies that are shaped by individual wills.

So to tie back into this message is that humans beings have that higher mental capacity that allows us to make judgments based on subjective values, instead of just biological impulses, which is something that separates us from the rest of the animals and things in the world. Simply put we have a choice that they do not.

Moving toward a system that is more sustainable, more efficient at mass production and distribution as well as providing optimal nutritional value, plus ethically motivated, seems like the obvious choice for the advancement of society, to me.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

That'd seriously screw up Friday menus for the Catholics - all they'd be left with is beaver.

(yup, the Catholic church officially classes a beaver as a fish, so it can be eaten on Fridays. Gotta love those Pope Roasts...)

Define irony: Name yourself after your natural predator

It's like renaming worms "Dirt Birds"

Oh yea..are they going to be down-grading Catfish to kitten status?

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    That'd seriously screw up Friday menus for the Catholics - all they'd be left with is beaver.

(yup, the Catholic church officially classes a beaver as a fish, so it can be eaten on Fridays. Gotta love those Pope Roasts...)
    I'm very glad noone made the "well, beaver tastes like fish" joke.

As for PETA, these were the morons that dressed deer in orange vests so hunters wouldn't shoot them?

Downgrading catfish would be an insult, most of the catfish I'm crossing lines with could eat a kitten.

Someone elsewhere pointed out that PETA has some good points buried under the double scoop of stupid they put out. The problem is, PETA runs around screaming stupid, and the point gets ridiculed.

They could be arguing that sport fishing is needlessly cruel, or that overfishing could permanently damage the eco-system and leave us starving. Instead they try to re brand fish as as cuddly housepets (which they are against IIRC) making it easy to dismiss any real issues they have.

Then there is the lack of understanding the subject.

Fish not only have the same ability to feel pain as a dog or a cat
    While there is some debate as to whether or no fish feel pain, they certianly do no have the same ability as a dog or cat to feel pain. They have a fundamentally different nervous system.

The stupid, it hurts me.

There are points that they could be arguing, but they also like to ignore the fact that sport fisherman also are the ones that work the hardest to prevent overfishing and habitat protection.

I created my own.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

fuck peta. who's the asshole in my state that came up with this lame idea? that's what I want to know.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

call them what you want... they will still taste the same! now i'm craving sushi...

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I don't buy that. The majority of the shit that people do is not natural, other than in the abstract way that everything, such as nuclear bombs, can be said to be "natural".
    Yes, that is true, but we are talking about the simple biological
    act of hunting, killing, and eating. All animals do it. So why does
    PETA think that it's so wrong? I think we kill other animals in
    the quickest and most painless way possible. I am not at all
    defending the factory farming. I think the animal's LIFE should
    be as good as possible. But I do think killing and eating other
    animals is perfectly normal and natural. Does PETA want to
    stop lions from eating antelopes? Or stop sharks from eating seals?
    Those are horrible, painful deaths. But when we kill, it's somehow
    some awful crime...

So to tie back into this message is that humans beings have that higher mental capacity that allows us to make judgments based on subjective values, instead of just biological impulses, which is something that separates us from the rest of the animals and things in the world. Simply put we have a choice that they do not.
    Sure, we can choose not to kill animals. We can eat soy and other
    proteins. I have no problem with people who want to avoid killing
    other animals. I have lots of vegan friends. But I still think that
    killing is natural. If you don't have the guts for it, or don't feel
    right about it, that's fine. I totally respect that. I just don't
    understand how most vegans and PETA folks seem to feel like
    it's some kind of horrible crime against nature to kill and eat an animal.
    When it's totally normal and natural for animals themselves to do it!

Moving toward a system that is more sustainable, more efficient at mass production and distribution as well as providing optimal nutritional value, plus ethically motivated, seems like the obvious choice for the advancement of society, to me.
    I agree. I think a good combination of more veggie-based protein foods,
    as well as a huge restructuring of the factory farming system would
    be a great step in the right direction. I don't have any problem with
    attempting to reduce the number of animals we kill and eat. I also
    have no problem with making their lives much better. But I will
    always feel that killing and eating other animals is a natural thing
    for human beings to do... It's not for everyone, but it's normal...
    not abnormal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainline_Iodine
    There are points that they could be arguing, but they also like to ignore the fact that sport fisherman also are the ones that work the hardest to prevent overfishing and habitat protection.
    I don't really know how true that is. that sounds more like a justification to me. If they were told that to preserve the population they couldn't fish at all, would they stop? I imagine that they are just like every other human doing things, which is that they are going to do what they want to.

I am also a naysayer when it comes to so-called habitat protection. Take the case of salmon, we all are familiar with the fact that salmon die after they give birth. But because there are not enough salmon left in the wild to maintain the population, they have to be raised on fish farms and reintroduced. This may seem like it is helping and it is good for the salmon, but it doesn't do anything to help the ecosystem because the ecosystem is dependent on the life and death cycle of the salmon, which is not functioning anymore.

While there are positives that can be done by people for the environment, and I realize that these are paid for in large part by the sale of hunting and fishing licenses, ultimately it is absurd to say that these animals wouldn't be better off if people didn't kill them for fun. Saving the environment is a load of shit by these same egotistical alpha males. The environment doesn't need saving by people, it needs saving from people. They are the one's that fucked it up in the first place. Leave it alone and it will be just fine.

sea kitty would be a great slang term for vagina

toxicat's Avatar catty member

My jungle hybrid kitty loves water. When she was a kitten she took showers with me on my shoulder, and she loves splashing in puddles when I walk her on her leash.

I had a sea-kitten melt with swiss cheese and bacon on parmesan toast today.

Hmm... renaming them did not make it less delicious. Try again PETA.

spyinxxx's Avatar Member

babysinead do you live in the gutter marry me I have this nice little place in golden gate park, LeilaHazlett marry me we could have make beautiful music together, and everyone else Peta is so fucking fagtashly sickening like big gay Al too much pink, I knew this friend who joined she got a 12x12x12 box once her membership was finalized, in there was a pamphlet thicker then the king james version bible, a whole chapter how to get you friends to join Peta, going to jail for weekend + fines woke her up out of I'm going save all the animailies, I mean they had shirts spray paint, lock picks, how to to use the shit too I mean if they aren't on the terrorist watch list I wonder who the fuck is in there place.... anyway I like fish instead hmm say sea kittens for dinner or that hooker from second street?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

i just found out exacly what peta stands for...............ethical?.........by who's standards?

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by babysinead

? Ummm....What?

Quote Originally Posted by babysinead
    Does your vagine smell like fish. There's bath salts for that.

I have no problem with PETA or vegans. More power to 'em. The truth is, all of us omnivores or just plain carnivores (this would be directed at Jax), just don't give a shit. PETA "fucks" just go bananas on the whole killing thing, but no matter how much money is spent on advertising, I'm still gonna grill me a big fuckin' burger and just fuckin' DROOL over that shit as it cooks. Add some salt and pepper, maybe some meat seasonings, some grilled onions...Ketchup..Maybe some mayonnaise or mustard, lettuce tomato...You know what I'm rattling on about here...It's fuckin' scrumpticious! I LOVE FUCKIN' MEAT and if it means I gotta kill my own cow than so be it. Won't be much of a chase. Hell...I could slowly walk over to him and slice his throat....THEY are that stupid. I'll do it now if you want. God! I loves me some meat!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

they should be called sea snacks

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    Hell...I could slowly walk over to him and slice his throat....THEY are that stupid.
    I could do the same thing to you. Ok, well maybe not me.. but I know that Jonny could. So what does that make you?

But I encourage you to pursue it, perhaps a career as a matador is in your future?

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    I have no problem with PETA or vegans. More power to 'em. The truth is, all of us omnivores or just plain carnivores (this would be directed at Jax), just don't give a shit. PETA "fucks" just go bananas on the whole killing thing, but no matter how much money is spent on advertising, I'm still gonna grill me a big fuckin' burger and just fuckin' DROOL over that shit as it cooks. Add some salt and pepper, maybe some meat seasonings, some grilled onions...Ketchup..Maybe some mayonnaise or mustard, lettuce tomato...You know what I'm rattling on about here...It's fuckin' scrumpticious! I LOVE FUCKIN' MEAT and if it means I gotta kill my own cow than so be it. Won't be much of a chase. Hell...I could slowly walk over to him and slice his throat....THEY are that stupid. I'll do it now if you want. God! I loves me some meat!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
    I think you would have liked the dinner I made tonight. I breaded pork chops with egg, flour, milk and seasonings then deep fried them. For the side I made homemade mashed potatoes, and fried bacon and used the fat to make homemade gravy. I love pigs right now, haha.

I made chicken saltimbocca, wrapped in turkey bacon, prosciutto and filled with Fontina cheese. Side of garlic oil pasta.

The cheese was the most expensive part, being 9.99$ and all. Sheesh!

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Can you believe the freaking prices of groceries lately? I about shat myself when a small block of cheddar was 8 bucks. Hell, even the shredded crap is 6 bucks. I remember when you could get loaves of bread for 50 cents, and now they are 2 bucks if you can find a sale;[ Time to find a bakery near me.

And yum!!

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    kittens don't like water.......................fish do
    yes that about sums it up.

PETA seem to be a bunch of land-dicks. They got slammed badly on an ep of Penn & Teller Bullshit that I once saw.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    I think you would have liked the dinner I made tonight. I breaded pork chops with egg, flour, milk and seasonings then deep fried them. For the side I made homemade mashed potatoes, and fried bacon and used the fat to make homemade gravy. I love pigs right now, haha.
    bacon... the easy way to win me over...

why do people feel so threatened by others that do things differently? none of the vegetarians on this forum are telling you that you shouldn't eat meat, yet most of the meat eaters are trying to defend themselves or rub it in someone's face about how much they like eating meat (who exactly? Peta? cuz they aren't here listening to you.)

it reminds me of a bunch of jocks that are trying to prove to the world that they aren't "fagots", whenever they are exposed to anything that could possibly be interpreted as gay.

If you don't want people shoving their views in your face, maybe you shouldn't do the same thing.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by jonny.illuminati
    bacon... the easy way to win me over...
    Bacon is so good! I like wrapping it around my steaks when I broil them, gives it a little extra flavor.

+ Reply to Thread