+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: should fish be called sea kittens instead of fish?

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Default Re: should fish be called sea kittens instead of fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    Bacon is so good! I like wrapping it around my steaks when I broil them, gives it a little extra flavor.
    droooll.........

Bacon is so good! I like wrapping it around my steaks when I broil them, gives it a little extra flavor.

Can you believe the freaking prices of groceries lately? I about shat myself when a small block of cheddar was 8 bucks. Hell, even the shredded crap is 6 bucks. I remember when you could get loaves of bread for 50 cents, and now they are 2 bucks if you can find a sale;[ Time to find a bakery near me.

And yum!!
    I dropped $50 at the grocery on friday without even noticing. I was just getting some stuff for the weekend, and was like "WTF?" when I got to the check out. I don't think I bought anything over $6, the frozen blueberries were $6 I think.

I was a little bit shocked because I am mostly a very careful shopper, and can buy a week and a half's worth of groceries for around $100 usually. This time I was like "Fuck it, I'm tried of pinching pennies all the time, I'll just get some of the stuff I want this time."

For my $100 I buy alot of organic foods to boot, so it's not like I spend my money on cheap generic sacks of flour, and rice and beans.... (remember when generic food came in white boxes, and cans with black lettering that said things like "BEER", or "PEACHES"?)

...shit speaking of which beans have gone up almost 100% last year they were like .79, now they're around $1.89 a pound. Not the organic kind either. Dry lentils.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Bacon seconded.

kclark's Avatar Junior Member

Thank you PETA, you may call us when the shuttle lands....

[rolls eyes]

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully" G.W.Bush

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    Bacon seconded.
    This spooky girl appears to be hovering with no legs

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    I dropped $50 at the grocery on friday without even noticing. I was just getting some stuff for the weekend, and was like "WTF?" when I got to the check out. I don't think I bought anything over $6, the frozen blueberries were $6 I think.

I was a little bit shocked because I am mostly a very careful shopper, and can buy a week and a half's worth of groceries for around $100 usually. This time I was like "Fuck it, I'm tried of pinching pennies all the time, I'll just get some of the stuff I want this time."

For my $100 I buy alot of organic foods to boot, so it's not like I spend my money on cheap generic sacks of flour, and rice and beans.... (remember when generic food came in white boxes, and cans with black lettering that said things like "BEER", or "PEACHES"?)

...shit speaking of which beans have gone up almost 100% last year they were like .79, now they're around $1.89 a pound. Not the organic kind either. Dry lentils.
    I hear ya. Not counting some of the raw stuff we get for the dog, Jeff and I can drop 200 bucks, get home, put everything away and then realize we arent all that stocked up.

If youre a meat eater, I found that going to local butcher shops is much more cost effective. While youll pay the same as a grocery store, almost all the cuts are 2 times as big or thick. I cut them in half and have twice the meals, plus its much healthier and tastes 100 times better;]

Im not sure where you are, but we have a huge agricultural area around us. Hitting farmers markets or hitting road side stands really saves a ton on veggies, and its super fresh. Plus youre supporting local farmers

A great way to save on chips is to get a deep fryer, corn tortillas that you cut into triangles/circles and fry them. Then salt to taste. You can add a little flavor by squeezing limes on them or adding cheese powders that youd normally use on popcorn

If you like cheese sauce (like for baked potatoes or nachos, etc) though its a little expensive it goes a long way...use the blocked velveeta. Put a little water in it to thin it out and dice habaneros/jalapenos/peppers (if you like spice or not) and throw them in as you melt it. It adds a great flavor.

I have a ton of ways to help save money when it comes to groceries, heh.

Can you believe the freaking prices of groceries lately? I about shat myself when a small block of cheddar was 8 bucks. Hell, even the shredded crap is 6 bucks. I remember when you could get loaves of bread for 50 cents, and now they are 2 bucks if you can find a sale;[ Time to find a bakery near me.

And yum!!
    Try this. It helps out!
    http://www.blueblood.net/boards/showthread.php?t=11091

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Thanks! Ill have to start using coupons too;]

"If you give a man a sea kitten, he eats for a day...If you teach a man to catch sea kittens, he eats for a lifetime" That just doesn't sound right.

I guess my big complaint about PETA is that they do a really shitty job of picking their battles and they just make up crazy shit to justify their beliefs. Rarely do they cite any respectable research to back up statements like "Fish feel pain the same as cats and dogs." They also start wierd capaigns like trying to force the city of Fishkill NY to change their name because it promotes cruelty. That was until reps from Fishkill pointed out that the problem wasn't with their city inciting a piscine holocaust, but with the ignorance of PETA (Fishkill is Dutch for "Fish Stream"). I guess you can't fight cruelty with cutural insensitivity...it causes a complete politically correct meltdown!

The other distasteful thing about PETA is that they are propagandists who use naive kids to do their dirty work. They are really no different from Neo-Nazi groups in that regard...recruit throw-away kids and convince them of something they can get passionate about (whether it's Animal Rights kids or Nazi Skinheads), then encourage them to commit violence or vandalism...when they get caught, issue statements condemning thier actions and swearing up and down that your group does not encourage that sort of thing. They are users...PERIOD.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

All I am saying, is that I don't understand why *most* vegetarians think that eating meat is not natural and normal. It's what happens in nature. Amongst the same animals they tell us not to eat. They eat each other! So why is it wrong for *us* to do the same thing animals do?

If you want to talk about factory farming, that's a whole other subject. If I had dictatorial power, I'd ban all factory farming tomorrow.

I always wonder if vegetarians would be ok with eating the meat of an animal that died of old age... What are you supposed to do, just let it rot? If you are willing to let vultures and maggots eat the dead cow, why can't we eat it? My problem is that most of their logic is totally flawed... And that they lump the fur trade, animal cruelty, and factory farming, all in the same package as eating meat... Then PETA takes it to the next level of stupidity, making the whole thing seem stupid. If they just focused on the things that actually are bad, and cruel, then I might be willing to support them, and even give them money to help their cause.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I think you pretty much nailed it. It's not the eating of meat that is so wrong, as the circumstances and practices that lead up to you putting the burger in your mouth- although that burger itself is also probably not very healthy, but that is an effect of the same cause.

I wouldn't say that I was totally opposed to subsistence farming (keeping of livestock), and I'm pretty much Ok with hunting for food.

Most of the people that I know are vegans or vegetarians and they all are intelligent and social-conscious. But I'd have to assume that most vegetarians, like any representative group, is mainly comprised of morons.

I'd consider myself to be a rationalist more than an emotionalist, so I think there are a lot of practical and logical reasons for why not eating meat is a good idea, and I try to present those when I get the opportunity. I think that any unfounded idea or blind faith is pretty pointless and won't get you very far. And definitely being an asshole and telling people how wrong and stupid they are is not going to persuade anyone of anything.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I love PETA. They taste delicious barbequed.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

mmmmmm....... barbequed

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

mmm makes me hungry for some land fish

I hear ya. Not counting some of the raw stuff we get for the dog, Jeff and I can drop 200 bucks, get home, put everything away and then realize we arent all that stocked up.

If youre a meat eater, I found that going to local butcher shops is much more cost effective. While youll pay the same as a grocery store, almost all the cuts are 2 times as big or thick. I cut them in half and have twice the meals, plus its much healthier and tastes 100 times better;]

Im not sure where you are, but we have a huge agricultural area around us. Hitting farmers markets or hitting road side stands really saves a ton on veggies, and its super fresh. Plus youre supporting local farmers

A great way to save on chips is to get a deep fryer, corn tortillas that you cut into triangles/circles and fry them. Then salt to taste. You can add a little flavor by squeezing limes on them or adding cheese powders that youd normally use on popcorn

If you like cheese sauce (like for baked potatoes or nachos, etc) though its a little expensive it goes a long way...use the blocked velveeta. Put a little water in it to thin it out and dice habaneros/jalapenos/peppers (if you like spice or not) and throw them in as you melt it. It adds a great flavor.

I have a ton of ways to help save money when it comes to groceries, heh.
    Thanks for the reminder to look for a local butcher. I used to be a vegetarian for health reasons, but after a number of years I've felt the need to include animal proteins in my diet again. I try to get grass fed red meats, and free range chickens as much as I can. I pretty much just eat lean meats, and green veggies primarily with some berries, and other veggies. The fewer grains, and starches the better for me, minimal dairy. I just do better that way. I feel that people's dietary needs can change over time. At the time my vegetarian diet, later vegan, helped me narrow down food allergies, and things that didn't work so well for me. I'm still not a fan of factory farmed meats.

I live in NYC, but there are plenty of farmer's markets. I think I can get decent meats at the farmer's markets too.

Animal protein is by far the most expensive part of my diet, especially since I try to eat free range, and grass fed. I could live on rice, and beans for cheap, but I'd feel ill again. Actually I do include beans in my weekly menu because they are nutritious, and cheap, cheap, cheap. Even so I still manage to stretch my money with my expensive meats.

If I could afford to have a freezer in my apt. I'd buy a quarter of a butchered cow or some such. LOL. That would save quite a bit of cash. That's how my grandparents did it on the farm, and if I lived anywhere else than NYC it's what I'd probably do too.

Thanks though.

BigBoy's Avatar Exiled

Lol

I think you would have liked the dinner I made tonight. I breaded pork chops with egg, flour, milk and seasonings then deep fried them. For the side I made homemade mashed potatoes, and fried bacon and used the fat to make homemade gravy. I love pigs right now, haha.

Yum!!!!!!!

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by allah
    You’re basically right on everything as far as I’m concerned except I think you may be doing a big disservice to Vegetarians by saying *most* of them are like that.

Maybe my experience or friends are a bit unusual, but I don't think I’ve ever met a preachy vegetarian in my life. I know several vegetarians, one is a very good friend, and they have never, ever, tried to throw shit in my face. In fact i've never so much as heard them talk about it unless its been brought up.

What I've seen plenty of however, especially online, is this "but i like hamburgers" crap which basically amounts to, as MG said, meat eaters throwing asinine rubbish in vegetarian’s faces. And it’s the same with animal welfare: I see plenty of people online who seem to think they're ‘too cool’ to give a shit about animals, like, they know its kinda important, but its just “gay” to go on about it.
    Yeah, and you have pretty much the entire country eating meat, so they are obviously not the best people to defend meat-eating either! As you said, the best argument they have is: "if we weren't meant to eat meat, then god would not have made it taste so good..." Nice logic morons! Haha!

So yeah, I really don't know what percentage of each group are idiots. But I am pretty sure there are a lot more uninformed meat-eaters. But the few radicals in PETA make all the smart and well-informed vegans look like idiots. Because a lot of America thinks they represent the voice of the animal-rights community. If they were a little more logical, they might actually be able to make some progress and get some improvements made to the meat-production system in this country. Like the recent law in CA, banning cages for chickens that prevent free movement. So they can no longer be just stuck in a cage with their head sticking out to eat food and water. So to me, that's a good thing. But PETA fucks it up for even us meat-eaters who think the current system is somewhat cruel.

Will French people start eating seahorse meat now?

I do not have any problems with vegetarians...or gays...or poor deluded souls who think they are Vampyrs...or anyone else that lives thier life on their own terms as long as they aren't hurting anyone. That being said, I really don't care to hear about it. I once had a group of teenage girls come up to me at a McDonald's and start giving me a hard time about eating a burger. This really pissed me off because I don't like to be bothered, especially when I am eating, and especially by irritating holier-than-thou teenagers. The funny thing was that two of the girls were wearing leather Doc Martens! So I politely explained to them that they were equally complicit in the murder of innocent cows to which they responded "Nu-uh...they were already going to be killed for meat." Oh well people will always find ways to justify their stupidity and rationalize their hipocracy.

I do know how a lot of you vegetarians feel, though. My brothers were vegetarians for a long time and they always got shit from people when we'd go out to eat. They would have to endure the same stupid questions and jokes from friends and family at just about every meal. Also, you're pretty much screwed out of a good meal at most restaurants anyway because they have very limited vegetarin selection...I can remember plenty of meals where I ate like a pig and they just had fries.

do sea kittens like sweater puppies?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny.illuminati
    do sea kittens like sweater puppies?
    or trouser trout?

Quote Originally Posted by thegreendevil76
    I can remember plenty of meals where I ate like a pig and they just had fries.
    haha. Don't I know it.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

so, what do they want to call freshwater fish?

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Kittens give Morbo gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    so, what do they want to call freshwater fish?
    river-rats or creek-cats or unsalted butter
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreendevil76
    or trouser trout?
    or bearded clams?

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

this makes me ill.

"Most parents would never dream of spending a weekend torturing kittens for fun with their families, but hooking a sea kitten through the mouth and dragging her through the water is the same as hooking a kitten through the mouth and dragging her behind your car," Byrne says
    WTF.
    no it isn't.
    kittens have significantly larger brains kthx.
    water does not equal aspahlt, it's a lot more forgiving.
    and fish are fucking fish. FISH. they're kin to vegetables and insects.
    and i hate using the term pescatarian just to be all pc and shit when i eat fish less than once a month. D:

Quote Originally Posted by Nudemuse

Kittens give Morbo gas.
    wahahahahaha!
    best.line.EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by soma_stardust
    they're kin to vegetables and insects.
    how so?

and i hate using the term pescatarian just to be all pc and shit when i eat fish less than once a month. D:
    yeah, I think it's pretty redundant as well. when will the distinction end? Dude, you've offended me, i'm an neo-wheatist, I don't eat anything that contains Oat bran. How can you be so insensitive as to not respect my beliefs?

As far as I'm concerned you are either a meat eater (anything that has a nervous and circulatory system is meat) or else you are a vegetarian. And even that is often too much ado- as I said before, I prefer the term "picky eater" for such people.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    how so?
    brain-function wise.

i amuse myself.

their brains don't function even remotely on the same level. The human brain functions much closer to a porcupine than does a fish to an insect. and since vegetables have no brain functions, since they have no brains, that comparison is totally irrelevant.

But vegetables are alive. They're living beings. And they do have feelings!

Now how can you eat a living being? An how is it different than a fish or any other animal?

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    But vegetables are alive. They're living beings. And they do have feelings!

Now how can you eat a living being? An how is it different than a fish or any other animal?
    Because they don't scream when you bite into them. It's the same reason I don't have a problem eating "mute" people...Although I need tar tar sauce for that.

yes, vegetables are alive. they don't have feelings. There have been tests that show they respond to stimuli, including indirect forces.

But these can be caused by many different subtitles such as temperature, vibrations, air pressure, even something as remote as magnetic forces. It's presumptuous to assume that this constitutes what can be called knowledge, or even awareness in the sense of cause and effect. The plant has no nervous system, it is incapable of registering anything beyond a cellular level.

When you burn a plant or scream at it, the plant responds to the stimulation because physical and biological changes are occurring in it and it's environment, not because it feels pain or sadness.

A plant is like a society of cells, and if it has any awareness of existence, it is as a whole and not as individual parts, which is why it sheds leafs and branches, and even it's entire "body" when it dies and continues to live on in it's seedlings which are properly speaking clones and not children. It's like a human body without a frontal lobe, it has no thoughts or personality as we know it, and it appears as if dead to us, but it is still alive and all it's micro-biological functions still remain intact.

Fish may not be able to feel pain in the physical sense like mammals do, but they have emotions and memories, so they can experience psychic trauma in that they understand something is happening to them that is harmful.

Bugs are even more limited, but a fly will move out of the way when you are trying to swat it, so they exhibit at least a rudimentary understanding between cause and effect and instinctively act out of self-preservation.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    yes, vegetables are alive. they don't have feelings.
    BIGOT!!!

Tree can feel where water is and which direction sun shines. They have feelings.

So, more humane method of hunting fish is with a bomb? That does the job instantly instead of traumatizing them. Because who wants to eat all those stress hormones that they produce under the time they're on the way to my table.

Yes, but it traumatizes the whales. buncha emo kids.

Ultimatly where i'm going with this is that we should eat PETA members. hey, if it wil;l save the bunnies, they should be all for it right?

Our new group can be called PEPETA.

People Eating People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

I love that idea

+ Reply to Thread