+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sober House....

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Default Sober House....

The train wreck continues....

Since I've only been addicted to nicotine and food, it's hard for me to show alot of empathy to addicted drug users. It's not because I think they are the dregs of the world. I guess it's because I've never been addicted to those types of substances and I don't know how hard it is to quit. I do know that I've been addicted to smoking for like 20 years. I do know that the main reason I don't quit is I'm chicken shit. I'm TOTALLY terrified of the withdrawals. I'm totally terrified that I'm gonna up and kill somebody due to the stress.

See, with smoking you can function in everyday society fine. Sure, you might have some haters, but that's about as bad as it gets. With drug addiction, it's sooooooo different a story. It affects not just you, but everyone around you. Yes, there is a possibilty that people around me might get cancer from second hand smoke, but drug addiction and it's affect on all those around you, is sooo much a different story. I just think that no matter how bad it got, as far as a drug addiction goes, that I would quit, not only for myself, but to not lose everything that I love (I.E- real people that really love me).

So what's your thoughts on the subject of quitting something that you're highly addicted to?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Sober House....

I wonder if there's a difference between doing something a lot because you're addicted or just because you really enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    I wonder if there's a difference between doing something a lot because you're addicted or just because you really enjoy it
    I watched this doc once that basically stated that there is no such thing as addiction. It's a made up word. I think that's bullshit, though. I basically smoke about a pack and a half a day. I would say that MAYBE only 3-5 of those cigarettes I really enjoy. Yes, the rest is habit, but an addiction habit. Habits are not the easiest to break, but, yes, addictions are real and they're a fuckin' bear. That addiction theory was bullshit. Just because a word was created for it, if no such word was created, addiction still would be real. Word created or not.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I enjoy every single smoke I have, it's only about 10 or so a day so I don't know if thats a lot..............I did stop drinking a couple years back no problem though, so was i addicted? I don't know.................well I suppose I'm addicted to sugar though, yeah probably addicted to sugar.

Sugar is highly addictive. Just ask some diabetics.

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

I was addicted to vicodin and darvocet along with having a severe alcohol problem for the better part of a year and a half. And let me tell ya, I would much rather go through those withdrawals again than what I am facing if I stop smoking cigarettes.

I had the shakes for about a day, and threw up for about 2... and that was it.
    I've seen what happens to me if I go 12 HOURS without a cigarette...even when I'm out, having fun and not even thinking about it. It gets ugly. I start shaking, stammering, and get exceedingly aggressive at absolutely nothing. I also have severe mood swings... I'm fine one minute and the next I'm balling because I feel like I am completely worthless.

I think if I were to be able to do one of those sleep induced rehab options, I could do it, but I am pretty sure I would lapse within 5 months. I pretty much did just that a few years ago, and things got bad, so I went back to smoking to help keep my anger and stress in check.

I have quit caffeine before, had to do it when I was pregnant, because anything carbonated made me throw up. And since I don't drink coffee or tea, I just threw caffeine out the window without any real issue. A day of migraines, but that was really it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    There's a pretty big difference. I really like a lot of things but I've only ever been addicted to a few of them. To me addiction isn't based on how often you do something...it's how you cope without it. I know plenty of people who smoke weed everyday but when they are out it doesn't bother them. They might complain a bit but they don't start freaking out and can't think about anything except getting high again. So personally I think you can enjoy something and do it a lot and not be an addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones

See, with smoking you can function in everyday society fine. Sure, you might have some haters, but that's about as bad as it gets. With drug addiction, it's sooooooo different a story. It affects not just you, but everyone around you.
    For the most part I agree with you but there are cases, probably more than most people realize, where you can be a drug addict and still function and not really affect anyone around you. I was addicted to painkillers for awhile after my spinal surgery. It wasn't a real bad addiction, I was still able to go to school and hold a job, but it was still an addiction. The withdrawal sucked but honestly the withdrawal I went though for anti-depressants was 100 times worse.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

im one of those uncommon cases of people who develope full-on clinical ddiction to weed. i was chemically dependant on it. i used it frequently enough that i went through psychological withdrawl when i quit; and i also felt like complete and utter shite for a good week or two(lack of appetite and nausea being the main symptons).

the times between when i had access to it were really rough going. i felt like a little kid being denied something i wanted. it wasnt a fun time. i felt strung out alot. this was part of why i eventually quit - i just hated the feeling of being without it and needing it badly.

but what really caused me to quit was that i developed panic/anxiety disorder. i would have a panic/anxiety attack rouhly 95% of the time when i used. yet i still would risk it and get high. however, it lessened the appeal and enjoyment of using. socially, i could no longer use due to this.

treatment was forced apon me as part of therapy, on an outpatient basis. ive been clean for going on three years now. feels great. and im getting my life back in order. ive gotten my college degree as well as regained my driver's liscense! i do still dream about using through; its very annoying.

+ Reply to Thread