Thread: Love for my Steelers

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Love for my Steelers

Super Bowl bound

Default Re: Love for my Steelers

Hell yeah!

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

This is one of those years I'm less emotionally involved in the outcomes of the playoffs, but I'm generally pleased with the matchup we have. The Cardinals satisfies my interest in underdogs, and the Steelers satisfy my interest in good teams who are not the Patriots. I think I could have taken any combo of the final four, though, and a PA civil war would have been fun.

The Cardinals really impressed me and I think it should be a really entertaining match. The Eagles just didn't have the fire, so I'm happy to see the Cards get the shot.

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Yep. that NFC game turned into a barnburner tho. I thought it was a blowout after that first half.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Hellz Yeah! . o 0 We've paid our dues, time after time ... (Pittsburgh Karaoke style)

OEC

and your little dog too

from yahoo

Steelers in Super Bowl may bring luck to investors

By Ros Krasny Ros Krasny – Fri Jan 30, 11:34 pm ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) – Win or lose on Sunday, having Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl could be a good luck charm for the U.S. stock market, according to a light-hearted analysis done to coincide with the biggest NFL game of the year.

Since the first Super Bowl was contested in 1967, the average annual return for the S&P 500 index has been 25 percent in the six years the Steelers competed, regardless of whether the team won or lost, according to Capital IQ, a division of Standard & Poor's.

The Steelers, who play in the NFL's American Football Conference (AFC), are one of three teams to have won the Super Bowl five times. Their lone loss came in 1996.

The team's record for equities runs at odds with overall Super Bowl records. The average S&P 500 return has been higher when a National Football Conference (NFC) team wins rather than an AFC team, by 15 percent to 6.3 percent.

The Steelers' NFC opponents on Sunday, the Arizona Cardinals, have never played in the Super Bowl. The team was first established in Chicago, and based in St. Louis for almost 30 years before moving to Arizona for the 1988 NFL season.

Statistically, having Sunday's big game in sunny Tampa, Florida, suggests a decent year for the stock market, according to Capital IQ's number-crunching.

In the 13 years the Super Bowl has been played in Florida, the average S&P return is 14.2 percent. Years in which the game has been played in non-dome stadiums tended to see better returns that those in domed stadiums -- and retractable domes have been plain bad luck.

Looking at betting lines, in years where the "over" bet was a winner, the average S&P return was much higher than years when the "under" bet prevailed, the analysts said.

The latest line for Super Bowl XLIV shows Pittsburgh as a 6.5-point favourite.

Urban legends have circulated for years about the predictive power of the Super Bowl result for the U.S. stock market

In 2007, economist Michael Munley, then with the Chicago Federal Reserve Bank, noted that for more than two decades, the team that won the game represented the city with the lower unemployment rate.

That measure has now worked in 17 of the past 24 years. For 2009, it would favour the sun-belt Cardinals, based in Phoenix, Arizona, over the rust-belt Steelers.

(editing by Gary Crosse)

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Champions!

OEC

vampyrdraven666's Avatar *lying in my coffin*

cardinals lost. hey, they still gave the steelers a fight. never turn away in the last minute. thats when all the action happens. good games. congrats steelers.

Michelle Aston's Avatar deviant to the core

That was an amazing game!

+ Reply to Thread