+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction

Whoops - didn't follow directions too well so this is a little late but here it be never the less.

I'm delurking here on this forum mostly to cyber-stalk Forrest and Amelia whom I met via their Blue Blood folded xeroxed on color paper zine that I somehow acquired way back when I lived in Hollywood in the 80s.

I believe I threw my first Xorcist demo tape at them for review that Forrest did a little write up on.

A few years later, I would invite them up to my club in S.F. (House Of Usher) for a 'Zine Slam I put together with various zines in the scene such as BB, Film Threat and various others. I really need to put a flier shrine online soon for Usher

Anyways - yea - there's a ton of other crap that I'll forgo unless it comes up.

The summary is I'm a cyber-geek programmer/music writer/audiophile/DJ/promoter who helped build the "Cyber<term>" phrase by registering and consequently starting the online presence "CyberDen" back in the early 80's. (Apple ][ BBS anyone?) - If ya really wanna know - just go to my site http://www.cyberden.com/ and click on TECH.

I've had all my Xorcist stuff sold via Metropolis Records yet most is now only online my site now as it's been too long... I am working on new Xorcist material but major changes in life over the past few years now put me back in school for a new career path in the medical field yet I will be DJing for the first time again in L.A. at Bar Sinister on Feb 21st since I was a resident there back in 2000. Maybe I'll see some of you there!

Bat

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Introduction

wait a sec. im feeling really, really dense here. are you the guy from Xorcist?

cyberden, man, that takes me back. and makes me feel old!

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    wait a sec. im feeling really, really dense here. are you the guy from Xorcist?
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    cyberden, man, that takes me back. and makes me feel old!
    ...Yup. I mean, join the club

Luckily I have some vampyre in me. I notoriously have always looked 10 years younger then I really am ever since I was 30.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i was first exposed to xorcist way back in the day thanks to the cd "torture tech overdrive." was only ever able to find one cd in a local music store, though i heard a good amount on other compilations, including remixes(i think). did not know about the movie score work, etc.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Hey Batty

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I love that tape (and many of the various albums and compilations to follow.) Belated welcome for a belated re-into. Zine-slam was a blast. Seems like a different lifetime at this point.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

That actually kind of reminds me that I should write more. I miss talking about all the cool creative and stuff in my world. Perhaps in 2009 I'll make a commitment to covering some cool things again.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Remembering Berkeley House of Usher makes me feel undead. Greets.

OEC

PS: I'll hold you to that flyer shrine

Hey Mystoo

And yes... it was another time - one that I'm still proud to always have at least some appendage still stuck in. Which one is anyone's guess...and as far as writing about cool and creative things... while there no doubt has been such things over the past decade, the end of the 90's sort of showed a slow down in this department. The Mondo 2000 and Wired parties slowed down/stopped altogether, ideas on cyber-sex suits were nothing more then rehashes and technology began repeating itself rather then breaking out. The NAMM show even became boring compared to it's giant leaps and bounds it had every year. I believe this was simply due to the fact that the human race mastered it's current form of technology and another resurgence really won't happen until yet another major breakthrough happens.... something like Quantum computing or transporter technology...nanotechnology on a commercial level....

There are signs of robots being the next wave but that again is still a rehash of the past...

That tape by the way (From The Hip) has actually been resurrected and is available digitally on cyberden. I actually like some of the mixes on there better then the ones on Damned Souls.

And yea - I pulled the various books down with all the fliers/news paper articles/etc from Usher... staring at it and the scanner and wondering when the PK Telekinesis Amplifier will be manufactured so I can get all that scanning done by just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bat
    Hey Mystoo

And yes... it was another time - one that I'm still proud to always have at least some appendage still stuck in. Which one is anyone's guess...and as far as writing about cool and creative things... while there no doubt has been such things over the past decade, the end of the 90's sort of showed a slow down in this department. The Mondo 2000 and Wired parties slowed down/stopped altogether, ideas on cyber-sex suits were nothing more then rehashes and technology began repeating itself rather then breaking out. The NAMM show even became boring compared to it's giant leaps and bounds it had every year. I believe this was simply due to the fact that the human race mastered it's current form of technology and another resurgence really won't happen until yet another major breakthrough happens.... something like Quantum computing or transporter technology...nanotechnology on a commercial level....

There are signs of robots being the next wave but that again is still a rehash of the past...

That tape by the way (From The Hip) has actually been resurrected and is available digitally on cyberden. I actually like some of the mixes on there better then the ones on Damned Souls.

And yea - I pulled the various books down with all the fliers/news paper articles/etc from Usher... staring at it and the scanner and wondering when the PK Telekinesis Amplifier will be manufactured so I can get all that scanning done by just thinking about it.
    hehe no hurry. I'm teasing. It's good to see you are well.

OEC

The one that matter atm...

Damn - rapage of the Kinko's toner on those...

ah kinko's.

OEC

Super cool to see you here Bat!

You wrote a song about one of the movies I base my whole life around- They Live!

Xorcist was(is) one of my favorite bands, so your are most welcome here.

...and Forrest- Yes, write more please.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Holy fuckin' fuck. That was such an awesome awesome awesome event.

There is an issue of Blue Blood where the masthead photo of me was taken at your event. I'll see if I can scan it for our jaunt down memory boulevard.

Thanks for posting that flyer. Brings back good memories.

Although it makes me a little melancholy because it gives me a spasm of things used to be so much cooler.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Okay, I scanned in half of this masthead page and both the shot of Forrest Black and the shot of me were taken by that issue's cover photog Jag at Bat's big event:

It seems at the same time impossible that so much time could have elapsed and like it was, as Forrest said, lifetimes ago. This was so long ago that Jag shot all that medium format on film with, I think, a Mamiya.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Okay, I scanned in half of this masthead page and both the shot of Forrest Black and the shot of me were taken by that issue's cover photog Jag at Bat's big event:

It seems at the same time impossible that so much time could have elapsed and like it was, as Forrest said, lifetimes ago. This was so long ago that Jag shot all that medium format on film with, I think, a Mamiya.
    wow. Feels like u could just snap and be there. Sawyer's News, they carried you up in Santa Rosa. The coffee shop across the street would give us free coffee and let us hang out. Another one fed me. I don't think I paid for caffeine or food in 1994.

OEC

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

welcome! (belated)

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Hells yeah, belated welcome!!!!

Xorcist are/were awesome, I heard of it first from Iron Helix, believe it or not. But a local Goth DJ put one of the remixes of Scorched Blood into heavy rotation.

Shit, I wish I'd never outgrown that T-shirt.

I often look for one of these on ebay just in case there's a way to go back if but for a month or.. 12...

TIMESHED

Wonderfully crazy time. Hopefully there will be a resurgence of similarity soon as the last one wasn't all that.. well, original really - I mean there's some great stuff out there, but damn... every week we had some crazy shit going on at Usher... mainly because the scene was 500-800 a week at it's peak and so many people were, compared to today, more dedicated artists, artisians, etc... so the interaction was stimulating beyond just the look... I mean, where could you go where one place, someone's custom making you vampire fangs, the other room are selling uber gothic trench coats, the next piercing nipples all while Survival Research Labs are in the other room showcasing their work on a back then, impressive 50" TV. Oh yea, some live band downstairs...

And I'm sure we weren't the only club able to pull this kind of stuff off but compared to today.... damn....

I often look for one of these on ebay just in case there's a way to go back if but for a month or.. 12...

TIMESHED

Wonderfully crazy time. Hopefully there will be a resurgence of similarity soon as the last one wasn't all that.. well, original really - I mean there's some great stuff out there, but damn... every week we had some crazy shit going on at Usher... mainly because the scene was 500-800 a week at it's peak and so many people were, compared to today, more dedicated artists, artisians, etc... so the interaction was stimulating beyond just the look... I mean, where could you go where one place, someone's custom making you vampire fangs, the other room are selling uber gothic trench coats, the next piercing nipples all while Survival Research Labs are in the other room showcasing their work on a back then, impressive 50" TV. Oh yea, some live band downstairs...

And I'm sure we weren't the only club able to pull this kind of stuff off but compared to today.... damn....

It can happen again.

OEC

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

Hi!

+ Reply to Thread