+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teeth of wisdom getting pulled!

Nos's Avatar Senior Member

Default Teeth of wisdom getting pulled!

Tomorrow morning at 10:30

So anyone have any good trauma stories from their trip to the dentist? I'm sure I'll have few in a couple days.

At least this gives me a chance to catch up on old episodes of X-files and Firefly

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Default Re: Teeth of wisdom getting pulled!

Quote Originally Posted by Nos
    Tomorrow morning at 10:30

So anyone have any good trauma stories from their trip to the dentist? I'm sure I'll have few in a couple days.

At least this gives me a chance to catch up on old episodes of X-files and Firefly
    How many wisdom teeth?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    How many wisdom teeth?

All of them

Good God! Good luck with that. I've just had two taken out all together and only one at a time. It wasn't bad, but I heard all four can really, really suck. Make sure they give you good pain pills and make sure you clear your schedule for about a week.

I had all 4 done plus two up front at the end of my first semester of college back in 85. The operation wasn't that bad I don't think... drugs and all... it's the 2-4 weeks of Tylenol and Codine that pushed me into my 2nd semester.... when that ended is when the fun started. Codine withdrawal. Just don't do it - if they prescribe the Codine, take vodka instead if you have to -

I spent 2 weeks screaming in the back of my 65 Mustang rocking back and forth in a cold sweat between classes because of the intense stomach pain of withdrawals. Needless to say, I quite all my classes because of it and never went back...

What is gonna hurt you for a while is not the pain from the wound it self but the pain from the needle .

I couldn't eat solid food for about a month since I could barely move my jaw. Hope they don't fuck you up as bad as they did me!

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

i might need mine out soon.

how old are you?

only bright sides i know of are it'll be easy to lose weight after and the pain meds should be pretty good.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

well, at least after this you'll know how good your dentist is

see if you can keep them after. i bet a large, non-cracked or broken wisdom tooth looks cool. mine are fucking huge.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

yeah...........and make sure you tell them before................they just can't throw them away fast enough

yeah.... and try to fuck the hygienist before the N2O wears off...

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

I'm lucky in that I was born with only one wisdom tooth and it appears to have come in correctly and not mashed my teeth all up or anything.

Biologically superior ya see.

Good luck to you though.

Genetic mutation? There should be four wisdom teeth, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    I'm lucky in that I was born with only one wisdom tooth
    from a literal perspective, i coulda guessed that.

Your jealousy of my superpowers is palpable DB

haha. got me there man.

Quote Originally Posted by drewblood
    i might need mine out soon.

how old are you?

only bright sides i know of are it'll be easy to lose weight after and the pain meds should be pretty good.
    Naw, the pain meds they give you suck. At least for me the pain was horrible and the pills did nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    Genetic mutation? There should be four wisdom teeth, right?
    Lots of people have less than four. It's kinda like pinky toes...eventually people wont have them.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Pft, step aside Rockwulf. Not only do I have all 4 wisdom teeth (thus, quite obviously, I have more wisdom than you. What else could it mean?) but due to my enlarged, muscular jaw, they all came in straight without mashing the rest of them!

But then again, they hurt like hell coming in and they seemed to have all 4 decided to come out during my last deployment, where I had no access to good pills or alcohol.

Heh, you failed at teeth.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I failed at everything else, why not add teeth to that list?

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

one time this old man dentist shoved the needle all the way through my lip, like sticking out, I could see it. and then he got upset and when he pulled it out he sliced my gum open...it was cool...he was fired...he was way old and shaky

avant-gardener

I had all four out in August of 2007. The top two were a routine pull, although space was tight. The bottom two were deeply impacted. In fact, they had molars sort of on top of them. One had come halfway in sideways and was chewing big holes in my cheek sometimes. They cut in from the sides of my jaw to get to them.

The lower right one was too far in so they couldn't take the whole thing out- the roots were straddling an important nerve and removing it could have left my face numb. So instead they just cut down through the gum, sawed off the top of the tooth, and left the roots intact. The lower left one they cut out completely.

I was sedated during the surgery and I remember being conscious only a few times while it was happening. When I came out of it they were strapping an ice pack to one side of my face, I had a mouth full of gauze, my lips were numb, my cheeks and mouth were swollen, and I was high as a fucking kite. I was kind of falling over. My partner came in and was looking at me with a smile and I tried to say to him "Hi baby," but it came out all slurred and he thought that was funny. I said to him, "What? You think this is funny? You know what? Fuck you. Yeah, fuck you."

He cracked up because, as he said later, he didn't understand a word I said until I got to "Fuck you," which was clear as a *bell*. The nurse was somewhat offended by my cussing at him, lol.

I came home and took lots of drugs, my mouth wouldn't stop bleeding all day long, and I was in pain for days. I lived on yogurt, ice cream, and smooth soups.

I had what looked like massive tunnels leading down into my jaw. They still aren't entirely gone on the bottom- the wounds are gone, but the tunnels down into my gums are still there. They might go away in a year or so more. It was amazing how much food would get sucked down into them when I ate, I had to wash them out with a squirty syringe. Of course, I didn't *know* that for the first couple of days, because my partner stupidly assumed that I understood and remembered the instructions they gave when I was loaded post-surgery. I'm telling you now in case it happens to you

I am very glad to have them out, but it hasn't helped my TMJ as much as I thought it would. Thank god for my insurance, I never would have been able to afford it otherwise... the reason I had them so long as because I couldn't afford it before! It only cost me about $150.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I had all four yanked out the same day when I was 15.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    one time this old man dentist shoved the needle all the way through my lip, like sticking out, I could see it. and then he got upset and when he pulled it out he sliced my gum open...it was cool...he was fired...he was way old and shaky
    Holy fuck that's traumatizing. ^

I only had 2 wisdom teeth come in, like 10 years ago. They put me to sleep, yanked em and woke me up. I remember the swearing at the nurse when I woke up but I don't remember why.
    anyway, for pain they gave me Demerol and everything was groovy. Was back at work after 2 days.
    Hope your surgery goes smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    Your jealousy of my superpowers is palpable DB
    I actually had a "third" tooth growing inside my gums, right above my two front adult teeth, facing upwards.

Superior? Fuck....I think I'm the missing link.

They surgerically removed it when I was 12, btw.....

Iggyisdead's Avatar boo-urns

I have to get mine taken out soon. I'm scared.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I had all four yanked out the same day when I was 15.
    my friend got all hers yanked in her late teens... she was a mess. i felt so bad for her...
    mine are impacted. go me.
    my teeth are fucked.
    and just yesterday i bit one of my lip piercings, thus chipping one of my canines.
    goddammitfuckingexpensiveassdentalwork

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

My wisdom teeth have never come in. And I still have two baby teeth.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Had one that was impacted. Gawddamn that took forever. He was scraping basically. Damn fine Dentist too.

OEC

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i dont think it was a wisdom tooth, but a few months after getting a tooth pulled that had an 'infected root' or something, i began noticing that i had a piece of the removed tooth slowly and painfully migrating its way out of my gums.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Haha, thats funny, cause I'm getting mine out this coming Monday, and hopefully will be able to go back to work on Thursday. This will make going to the dentist 3 times in less than 2 months, and I'll probably be going back soon after this appointment for braces if my insurance covers it. I guess thats what I get for not going to the dentist for 6 or 7 years. I only have 3 wisdom teeth that need to be pulled, I think they are all grown in too, my top ones grew in really crooked, cause I have such a tiny mouth. My only problem with getting them out is I won't be put under, so I get to close my eyes, listen to my ipod and hope I don't see whats going on.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

had wisdoms (8's) and 9's pulled.

still got issues from the damage the 9's caused

So my teeth didn't get pulled ... not one. The dentist decided that they where all coming in too good and I just needed to get the cavities filled. So they gassed with some crap that made me feel extremely high and made me drool a lot.

I hope this approach works because my jaw has been hurting for like 4 years. In fact I can feel it pop all awkward when the weather changes and it normally hurts SO FUCKING BAD. I mean I'm happy they didn't have to pull things out of my face and all but if this doesn't solve the problem I'm gonna be pissed. It's not like I have dental insurance and $200 a tooth ads up pretty quickly :P

I'm still in some pain today from the shots .... yesterday my whole face was numb and I couldn't feel my nose when I touched it. Fun times ....

Quote Originally Posted by Nos
    So my teeth didn't get pulled ... not one. The dentist decided that they where all coming in too good and I just needed to get the cavities filled. So they gassed with some crap that made me feel extremely high and made me drool a lot.

I hope this approach works because my jaw has been hurting for like 4 years. In fact I can feel it pop all awkward when the weather changes and it normally hurts SO FUCKING BAD. I mean I'm happy they didn't have to pull things out of my face and all but if this doesn't solve the problem I'm gonna be pissed. It's not like I have dental insurance and $200 a tooth ads up pretty quickly :P

I'm still in some pain today from the shots .... yesterday my whole face was numb and I couldn't feel my nose when I touched it. Fun times ....
    Does your dentist think that your mouth hurts from the decay? Decaying teeth isn't gonna make your jaw "pop". I'd say too many teeth in your mouth would probably do that.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I've never had mine pulled out. when are you supposed to have that done? I think my sister had them when she was like 18 or so, so when I hit that age and my teeth didn't seriously fuck up, I figured I was in the clear. I kinda have these bumps back there, but they never hurt or knocked out my other teeth or anything like that.

My back molar is cracked and has a big hole in it, and it's kinda fucked and needs to be pulled out, but it doesn't hurt anymore, and I don't have any money, so I've just blown that off for a few years now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I've never had mine pulled out. when are you supposed to have that done? I think my sister had them when she was like 18 or so, so when I hit that age and my teeth didn't seriously fuck up, I figured I was in the clear. I kinda have these bumps back there, but they never hurt or knocked out my other teeth or anything like that.

My back molar is cracked and has a big hole in it, and it's kinda fucked and needs to be pulled out, but it doesn't hurt anymore, and I don't have any money, so I've just blown that off for a few years now too.
    It's good that it doesn't hurt, but your infected molar can move on to infect other parts of the face....Gotta becareful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    Does your dentist think that your mouth hurts from the decay? Decaying teeth isn't gonna make your jaw "pop". I'd say too many teeth in your mouth would probably do that.

See that's what concerns me Oh well I guess I'll effing find out soon enough ....

Actually believe it or not, not everyone who have wisdom teeth need to get it pull out.

Almost every one in my family had it got pulled out. But I never did (really bad phobia of dentist). It was painful when wisdoms first started to grow. But after it fully grow, everything was fine. I just gotta to make SURE to brush them which isn't easy.

So if any of you have wisdoms teeth and think it needed to be pulled out, do some research.

Here's a article to start with:

http://www.teethremoval.com/wisdom-t...necessary.html

+ Reply to Thread