+ Reply to Thread

Thread: arm coverings - arm warmers/gloves

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Default arm coverings - arm warmers/gloves

the "shrine clothing" thread got me around to posting this, rather than trying to threadjack.

i am really big into arm and wrist accessories, be they gloves of any sort or arm warmers, etc. my tastes run from your standard goth/punk or industrial types to fetish types. unfortunately, i dont really have many good places that i know of to get them from. looking for suggestions here.

the ones that i frequently see in photo sets and other pics here on BB are jut awesome. and i want to get myself something similar.

Default Re: arm coverings - arm warmers/gloves

Make it. Armwarmers are among the easiest articles of clothing to make; they're basically just tubes, and simple ones require almost zero 3D design. I'm making myself a pair right now out of the sleeves of a 1 euro leather jacket I picked up at a flea market; sleeves of anything are usually not skin-tight, so if you cut it open lengthwise there's overlap for a closing mechanism like buttons or buckled straps.

Gloves are more difficult, but fishnet ones are easily made by cutting the feet off stockings, and with a decent armwarmer to be their outer edge they're usually good enough.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't get it.

no, I understand what you are asking, just not why anyone would wear those.

if you arms are exposed and you want to cover them up, then put on a long sleeve shirt, or jacket/sweater. what's the point?

sanguisuga's Avatar Junior Member

It's just something she likes! Why wear makeup, or jewelry? It's adornment, that's all.

Raza's suggestions are great, but if you aren't diy-inclined (like me), then go hit etsy (dot com). Lots of fabulously talented people who will make you just about anything you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I don't get it.

no, I understand what you are asking, just not why anyone would wear those.

if you arms are exposed and you want to cover them up, then put on a long sleeve shirt, or jacket/sweater. what's the point?
    Cause long sleeve shirts/sweaters are horrible. There's no room for detail in your outfit like that, and instead of placing emphasis on the shape of your body and using the contrast of cloth on skin, cover-all clothes like that turn it all into a big shape-obscuring mass of fabric.

It's all about preference of course, but you might as well ask why anyone wears anything but robes.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    It's all about preference of course, but you might as well ask why anyone wears anything but robes.
    If I wouldn't get arrested for it I would wear a robe everywhere.

I do like the way gloves and arm warmers look but rarely ever wear them anymore. I used to cut up old fishnets and long colorful socks to make them. Anywhere you buy them they will be crazed over-priced.

The Rokin would be somewhat out of the way, but I've left my front door naked before.

I'd probably do it more often if I saw some appeal to it, but complete nudity actually suffers from many of the same visual shortcomings as robes and long sleeve shirts/sweaters.

Quote Originally Posted by allah
    then which is more important to you: the articulation of freedom or the articulation of aesthetics?
    Aesthetic has practical priority. Freedom isn't usually much of a message, since as a prerequisite for expression itself it comes implied whenever you articulate something else. Freedom is cool and all, but I get to display that for free with everything else I do, so there's not much reason to seek it out specifically.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

thanks, yeah, i am totally clueless when it comes to making or altering my own clothing. i used to do it with old tights or stockings, but they only last so long before they fall apart or unravel.

arm warmers seemed to have become popular wear for those of us of that persuasion after i had long stopped being part of my local scene or going out clubbing. for the most part im looking for something to keep my arms warm when a hoodie or a long sleeve shirt would be too warm. as ive gotten older, my legs and arms have maintained most of their thinness, while my middle has not(spare tire/beer belly due to stress). part of why i like to adorn my legs and arms is to draw attention away from my middle - the part of me that i do not find attractive. i like the way that wearing things on my arms and legs feel as well as look.

Bedlamite

You can also use warm-ups for the legs on your arms... Or just cut the arms off an old shirt/sweatpants and make a shrug/arm warmers out of it.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by allah
    So you gonna get arm warmers morning glory or what?
    nope, I'm gonna get a robe.

I would become a hare krishna, but those guys are fucked up. they don't believe in eating garlic.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I would become a hare krishna, but those guys are fucked up. they don't believe in eating garlic.
    really? I wonder why......

+ Reply to Thread