+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Now I remember why I hate facebook

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Default Now I remember why I hate facebook

Default Re: Now I remember why I hate facebook

Is that really unusual/a big deal?

They 'own' it only in the sense that they get to keep what you put there and also use it, not in the sense that they get to tell you or anyone else what can or cannot be done with it. You just don't get to tell them once you publish it there, either.

Seems fair enough, really.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I saw that on the news this morning before I went to bed. I'm glad I don't have an account there.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

never used it. one shallow, elitist ass-kissing social networking site is enough for me.

Blah... this is nothing - They're talking about back-ups of data - not stealing your pics/whatever to sell for profit. Sounds like legal-speak so they don't have to go and find all your crap on CD's/DVD's/Mag Tape/whatever and destroy it as OMFG... wadda pain in the ass.

Hell, it's hard enough to stop search engine bots from farming all your crap from all over the place as it is and that's kind of the same thing - sometimes worse

So yea, while FB, TWTTR, MYSPC, LJ, TRIBE (now dead it seems) are all lame ass excuses to be a self-centered net-whore, it seems to be part of the evolution of our society as an electronic planet - how you use it is up to you.

(Hmm.. sounds like some other thread I know of...)

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

The stuff I have on FaceBook is so tame, they can do anything they want with it.

Quote Originally Posted by allah
    am i the only one in the world thats never had a cattlecunt or fuckwad account?
    Yes.

You are the king of rock. There is none higher. Sucka emcee's can call you sire, princess.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    never used it. one shallow, elitist ass-kissing social networking site is enough for me.
    Bebo?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

oh well

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

*reads article* eek. I shut off my facebook because my mother found me and I wanted to NOT have any contact with her. guess it doesn't matter though does it.

~K

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

I've got to go with Raza; it's not that unusual a thing.

I've got an account there that I use to keep in touch with my college crowd, but I'm not stupid enough to post there anything TOO personal.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    Yes.

You are the king of rock. There is none higher. Sucka emcee's can call you sire, princess.
    Allah D.M.C.?

They pulled it - back to the old TOS. Silly all around.

I'm going to paraphrase a comment I noticed about this thing earlier.

Anything that is up on the internet? Don't expect that to be private anymore. No matter where it is. There is some disillusionment involved if you think you put up a blog entry or a photo of yourself shooting up heroin and think no on can hold onto that for future purposes.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Facebook changed their TOS back in response to user concern. See if you find any other of the major SNS players doing that. It is not Facebook's fault if you don't enjoy having old friends and acquaintances greet you.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9107432&ref=mf

Hi everyone,

First, I want to apologize for the delay in response. It’s been a long day with lots of interesting and constructive discussions. Second, I want to thank you for your questions and concerns. As Mark expressed in his blog post on Monday, it was never our intention to confuse people or make them uneasy about sharing on Facebook. I also want to be very clear that Facebook does not, nor have we ever, claimed ownership over people’s content. Your content belongs to you.

We do need certain licenses in order to facilitate the sharing of your content through our service. That’s where the Terms of Use come in. The fact that you’ve raised the questions you have is proof that we haven’t done a good job explaining these licenses in the actual language of the document. In fact, as we were working to answer your questions, we realized the new version of the Terms might technically permit some of the hypothetical situations people have offered. I can assure you, however, that these hypotheticals aren’t ones we had in mind when writing the Terms, and that selling user information for profit or using it to advertise Facebook in some way was never part of our original intent. Assurances aren’t enough, though, and we plan to codify this in our revised Terms through simple language that defines Facebook’s rights much more specifically.

In the meantime, we’ve decided to revert to the old Terms as we work to address this. Mark has explained this in more detail in another blog post (http://blog.facebook.com), and we’ve created a group where people can provide input (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=69048030774). We hope you’ll join this group and post comments. We promise to use these comments to help construct a new Terms of Use that reflects the principles around how people share and control their information, and that’s written clearly in language everyone can understand.

I hope you don’t think your participation in this discussion was a waste of time. Honestly, your questions were very helpful to us in arriving at what we believe is the right decision. Also, I think your questions will continue to be useful as we’re crafting a new Terms.

Again, thanks for the fruitful discussion and a special thanks to Anne Katherine and Julius for setting up this feedback forum. We hope you’ll all join our “Facebook Bill of Rights and Responsibilities” ( http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=69048030774 ) group and continue discussing these issues there.

Barry

****IMPORTANT UPDATE FROM FACEBOOK - FEBRUARY 26, 2009****

Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing a new approach that will allow all users to have a voice in shaping the policies that govern the Facebook service. More info can be found in the press release here:

http://www.facebook.com/press/releases.php?p=85587

We’ve also posted new governing documents for your review and comment. We designed these documents, in part, to respond to many of the questions, comments and concerns expressed here. We look forward to your continued questions and comments on the following groups:

Facebook Principles
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=54964476066

Statement of Rights and Responsibilities
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=67758697570

This group has been tremendously helpful throughout this process, and we appreciate all of your input so far. We look forward to continuing the conversation, and we hope to invite the authors of the most insightful and constructive comments to be part of our new user council. We also want to give a special thanks to the admins of this group, Julius Harper of Los Angeles, CA and Anne Katherine Yojana Petterĝe of Oslo, Norway for helping direct the discussion and distilling the major points.

Thanks again. We look forward to everyone’s involvement in this new process. We think this is a big step forward for how internet companies relate to their users, and we can’t wait to read your comments. To hear more about this from Mark, check out his recent blog post here:

http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=56566967130

Best,
    Simon

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

facebook is fucking lame as shit. I will probably never get a account there.

We hope you’ll all join our “Facebook Bill of Rights and Responsibilities” group.
    Ok, so maybe people in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones, but a user group dedicated to discussing facebook policies? that sounds...well, fucking lame as shit.

Good call VB.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

actually I've found it's the only way to get in touch with my daughter, but yeah it is kinda lame

Das Facebook
    Welcome to the age of stalking!

I have facebook and I check it daily. Incredible stuff about it is that I found many long lost friend and family and reconnected with some dear folks who I haven't seen for years. In way of keeping contact with certain folks facebook is ok. Other than that it's nothing special.

My mom's friends are all over the world now. Thanx to that shitty war. Lately she found some really dear friends that she haven't seen for long long time. I remember seeing her crying after she saw a pic of her long lost childhood best friend. For a person like her who's in foreign country with no real friends it's a hard life. Facebook brought her joy and some sort of social life that she craved for long time.

I guess it's a ok service for most of the regulars.

Btw, why dislike facebook?

The enemies of your enemies are your friends. Find them here -> www.hatebook.org

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    Das Facebook
    Welcome to the age of stalking!

I have facebook and I check it daily. Incredible stuff about it is that I found many long lost friend and family and reconnected with some dear folks who I haven't seen for years. In way of keeping contact with certain folks facebook is ok. Other than that it's nothing special.

My mom's friends are all over the world now. Thanx to that shitty war. Lately she found some really dear friends that she haven't seen for long long time. I remember seeing her crying after she saw a pic of her long lost childhood best friend. For a person like her who's in foreign country with no real friends it's a hard life. Facebook brought her joy and some sort of social life that she craved for long time.

I guess it's a ok service for most of the regulars.

Btw, why dislike facebook?

The enemies of your enemies are your friends. Find them here -> www.hatebook.org

Facebook sometimes gets me a little choked up just getting back in touch with people I cared about in school. That must be such an emotional roller coaster for your mom. Americans think things were difficult if they had to move some place different from their friends for work or relationships. Having everyone scatter because of war is just a whole nother level of awful and hard. My mom and dad had to live on different continents (for work) a few times for extended time periods and my dad was just saying the other day that it would have been so much less stressful and so much less expensive if they could have had the web tools which are so common today to stay in touch.

It tends to be overwhelming. That's why I blocked all the crap in settings. Left only simple person to person communication.

I tried to go on facebook once but it required me to be a member to use any of the sites features, so I couldn't search for people that I knew... that didn't make much sense to me. why would I want to be a member if I don't know whether or not anyone I know is on the site?

besides, I don't want the people that I know to know that they know me. If they knew that it was me, then they wouldn't want to talk to me.

it's not that I just want to be a creepy lurker (admittedly, it kind of is), it's just that I have different relationships with different people, and those worlds aren't necessarily good to overlap each other. you know what I mean?
    Last edited by Morning Glory; 03-04-2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: merged posts

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I actually just got in touch with a long lost friend of mine. Bitch disappears for 11 years and shows up on facebook. I do use it to keep in touch with other friends of mine who are all over the place, it's pretty boring otherwise and all the little applications and invites are bloody annoying as hell.
    As for all those people who put shit up on the internet and expect any kind of privacy...how do you spell DUH?

+ Reply to Thread