+ Reply to Thread

Thread: most mundane trait?

sanguisuga's Avatar Junior Member

Default most mundane trait?

Who here has an embarrassing mundane trait? Something that, if admitted to, would ban you from alt-goth-indie-punk-rock society?

I'll admit to one...

I actually liked Twilight. Both the books and the movie. I can't really tell you why, because the whole series really is terribly cheesy and horribly written. Perhaps it just thrills my inner teenager... I actually had someone make me a leather cuff like Edward's, and I wear it just about every day.

Default Re: most mundane trait?

Well, I do stuff like eat and sleep. Concerning culture though, I'm generally eloquent enough to successfully glorify anything I do end up liking onto a level of social/psychological exclusivity that comfortably fits my existing elitist self-image.

sanguisuga's Avatar Junior Member

I did mean culture-wise. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "trait". So, how would you talk up something like Twilight?

Well, sentiments viewed as 'teenage' are nigh-universally condemned as in poor taste and/or hormonal balance; even appreciators are generally either unaware of being categorised as such (like the teen that only really talks to his classmates that all share his opinion that Twilight is the Greatest Thing Ever), or repentant (like yourself). The demand of 'maturity' is one of the most powerful and least questioned social pressures we know today, and the only reason that most actual teenagers get away with defying it is through relative cultural isolation within their own demographic. Yet despite all this, youth boasts many objective virtues; and what is 'puberty', if not the period inbetween achieving social and intellectual awareness and having it settle for stagnation in an equilibrium of circumstantial external influences boasting no derived value in particular?

For someone to be fully aware of their being perceived as 'immature', of being thrown in with what is arguably the discriminatory category of age suffering the very lowest regard, and face up to it without shame and in confidence that they are judged wrongly; that the value of enjoying something is self evident and the condemnation of society at large quite beside the point... that takes some serious character. Individuality. Independence!

(See, the trick is where you find a group that disagrees with you, and then word it so that they become the majority, the 'lowest common denominator'. Then you find a fault they may conceivable have in common and wax eloquent about how you're not like that. I've never even seen 'Twilight', presuming it is something that can be watched)

Bedlamite

My hair is frequently not black. Also, my house dosen't have black walls, carpet, tile, or curtains.

Not to mention, I don't wear white makeup.

Clockwork Jello's Avatar Droog

Ugh the most mundane thing about me right now is my Wardrobe. Its so hideously boring. I made the mistake of actually listening to family to "grow up" and threw out 90% of my clothing right before I went to basic training. Now my closet consists of predominantly jeans and button up shirts. Makes me sick just looking at it. I luckily saved a Misfits shirt and a Lars Fredrikson shirt and I just end up wearing them entirely too much. Unfortunately this area I live in caters to the popular American image that the Japanese seem to have of us, so it is miles and miles of hip ghetto urban wear clothing shops. I'm currently trying to remedy this, but one thing about Japan is that everything is tiny, the roads are 56% alley ways and are very confusing. Compile that with the inability to read signs save for the completely random English words thrown in that never make any sense anyway, trying to find a niche clothing shop outside of urban wear is an adventure at best.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

holy shit, where should I begin? I offend on every level, so i'll just mention the big ones:
    - I own very little black clothing these days.
    - I only wear makeup for work; and even then not very much.
    - I listen to jazz
    - my hair is not black; its blonde, a natural blonde at that.
    - I'm learning to play the banjo.

that's only a few. when I was younger, especially in highschool, I found comfort in the sereotype of the scene. as I've gotten older, I've found I really detest "boxes". I am who I am because of my state of mind, not because of how I dress or the activities I pursue. the only thing alternative appearance wise is my tattoos, and the way I think. I am embarrassed of NOTHING, & there is absolutely nothing mundane about me.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    - I'm learning to play the banjo.
    That's awesome! Did you just wake up one day and think how fucking cool it would be if you knew how to play banjo?

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Quote Originally Posted by sanguisuga
    Who here has an embarrassing mundane trait? Something that, if admitted to, would ban you from alt-goth-indie-punk-rock society?

I'm too old to worry about shit like that. I like what I like, that's it. If someone has a problem with it, it's their problem.
    But, if you really want to know, I listen to Madonna. Ssshhhh...

fedora's Avatar Member

LOL, nice thread!!!

Well, let's see...

1) I actually HAVE a sense of humur, and don't take myself too seriously
    2) My house is painted in the brightest colors
    3)I used to play the mandolin as a child (hey my father's a musician, we have lots of instruments at home!)
    4) I wear funny panties
    5) I still read mickey Mouse's comics

fedora's Avatar Member

UH, and I use to laugh a lot too !! And that's not goth at all;D!!!

Eh... most goths I know laugh a lot! Probably more than most people.

Btw funny pantie is the best!!!

As for my mundane trait... I guess I'd have to say if most people look at me at first, I doesn't even seems like someone who like Blue blood related subject.

Also I know absolutely NOTHING about music. Funny how I manage to click with group of people who based so much around music.

Iggyisdead's Avatar boo-urns

I like musical theater. There I said it.

Hmm. I dig 90s American pop music.

Brittany Spears, N*Sync, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, etc.

My roomate likes a lot of the boybands from the era, too. /evil grin

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Wow, let's see....

I'm in the Army. At least for the next 2 years.
    I like most types of music, especially blues and jazz/swing along with my love of headbanging.
    I have too many friends that are too different. I have at least one friend for every catagory.
    If I shaved my head, I would look like a racist asshole instead of just a punk rocker.
    I fit into too many other catagories. Slight jockiness, gearheadedness, techy, etc.

Honestly, I'm just an average Joe with tattoos.

+ Reply to Thread