+ Reply to Thread

Thread: virtues and vices

Default virtues and vices

I was bored today in a class, so I made a list of physical virtues and matched them with a corresponding list of mental virtues. Then I added corresponding spiritual ones. Then I added corresponding vices. This is what I came up with:

Strength, Intelligence & Courage
    vs
    Weakness, Stupidity & Cowardice

Balance, Wisdom & Honesty
    vs
    Imbalance, Foolishness & Dishonesty

Flexibility, Creativity & Open-Mindedness
    vs
    Stiffness, Rigidity & Closed-Mindedness

Dexterity, Wit & Mindfulness
    vs
    Clumsiness, Dullness & Thoughtlessness

Stamina, Willpower & Self-Worth
    vs
    Lethargy, Apathy & Self-Loathing

Note that honesty refers to being open and honest with yourself, something with which many people have trouble. I don't mean to say that it's necessarily a virtue in and of itself to be honest with others -- sometimes it may be better to lie. That's also why I opted to choose mindfulness over kindness. While kindness is often counted a virtue, it may not always be warranted, but a mindful attitude always is. I tried to keep this as amoral and objective as a list of virtues and vices can possibly be.

Do you agree with this list? Does it make sense to you? What would you change or add?

Default Re: virtues and vices

Makes about as much sense as you can, connecting mental and physical attributes like that. Charming enough to build a character development system for a computer game on, with perhaps a few thematic passive side quests granting extra powers to characters adhering to them throughout the game.

+ Reply to Thread