+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: what movie are you looking forward to this year?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default what movie are you looking forward to this year?

there's alot of movies coming out....watchmen, g.i joe and transformers 2,land of the lost harry potter 5 or 6 or 7-i lost count and startrek. what are you looking forward too? perosnally im looking forward to pirahna 3-d and startrek lol

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

Default Re: what movie are you looking forward to this year?

"Terminator - Salvation" is at the top of my list, but then I've been waiting for a movie detailing the Machine Wars for a long damn time now. I'm willing to give "Watchmen" a good viewing, but that's simply because I can make myself immune to the hype surrounding a film in a way that no one else seems able to. (e.g. I'm going expecting to see - and therefore won't be disappointed when I do see - a frame-by-frame motion-picture remake of a graphic novel, pretty much as was done for "Sin City" and "300," neither of which disappointed me in the least, save for the slow-motion fight sequences which I think have been overdone to the point of being 'retro'.) I could almost give a shit about Harry Potter (as none of those movies have been anywhere near as well-written as they could have been), "Star Trek" intrigues me too much to ignore, and as likely as it is that I'll check out "Transformers 2," I wouldn't exactly say I'm looking forward to it.

I'm a picky movie critic, as well as poor, and among my rules is that I'll never shell out movie money for a film that would look suffer nothing for being displayed on a smaller screen. I'll catch the dramas, comedies, and Oscar flicks over the course of the year as I rent them. Give me spectacle for my buck, and if it's a good movie to boot, I consider it a major bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by Aza
    "Terminator - Salvation" is at the top of my list, but then I've been waiting for a movie detailing the Machine Wars for a long damn time now. I'm willing to give "Watchmen" a good viewing, but that's simply because I can make myself immune to the hype surrounding a film in a way that no one else seems able to. (e.g. I'm going expecting to see - and therefore won't be disappointed when I do see - a frame-by-frame motion-picture remake of a graphic novel, pretty much as was done for "Sin City" and "300," neither of which disappointed me in the least, save for the slow-motion fight sequences which I think have been overdone to the point of being 'retro'.) I could almost give a shit about Harry Potter (as none of those movies have been anywhere near as well-written as they could have been), "Star Trek" intrigues me too much to ignore, and as likely as it is that I'll check out "Transformers 2," I wouldn't exactly say I'm looking forward to it.

I'm a picky movie critic, as well as poor, and among my rules is that I'll never shell out movie money for a film that would look suffer nothing for being displayed on a smaller screen. I'll catch the dramas, comedies, and Oscar flicks over the course of the year as I rent them. Give me spectacle for my buck, and if it's a good movie to boot, I consider it a major bonus!
    oh snap! i forgot all about termintaor's new movie lol yeah that does look pretty rad come to think of it and yeah. i aint much looking forward to transformers either. i bought the first one, hated it anf frankly the only defense anyone give sout here about it is how cool the special effects were to it. ugh. g.i joe is being done by michael bay too which is why im kinda not really interested in it.

thanks for your sharing.
    it's woderful work.
    now i sharing my best thing to you.
    I recommend my best handbags

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

Quote Originally Posted by srjamesgoldstein
    thanks for your sharing.
    it's woderful work.
    LMAO. This is the first spam post to actually make me giggle.

thanks for your sharing.
    it's woderful work.
    And again, here's what I use your best handbags for - I collect Jesus pellets with them.

As for which movie(s) I'm looking forward to in 2009:

KING SHOT
    REPO CHICK

Both have David Lynch involved in them.
    King Shot is going to be incredible.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

"Big Man Japan"....It's gonna get like 16 oscar noms. Just wait and see.

thanks for your sharing.
    it's woderful work.

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

Up

anyone seent he pics for the live action dragonball movie coming out? the photos of james marsters as picholo looks like they basically painted him up to look like a pale green spike and he's wearing some weird hoodie tranchcoat thing instead of the cape and turban.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    anyone seent he pics for the live action dragonball movie coming out? the photos of james marsters as picholo looks like they basically painted him up to look like a pale green spike and he's wearing some weird hoodie tranchcoat thing instead of the cape and turban.
    They've managed to take an already stupid anime and make into the short bus of live-action remakes.

Quote Originally Posted by athenahollow
    They've managed to take an already stupid anime and make into the short bus of live-action remakes.
    its not much of a suprise really. there's plans for a voltron movie and g-force movie too.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

everything I've heard of so far I can wait until it's on dvd and I can get it at the library

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

they already made that movie in japan. It's called like dragonball reborn, or unleashed or something. it's really terrible. if you should happen to come across it it might be worth checking out when you're really baked. I think you can see some footage on youtube.

I don't care about any of these stupid remakes. Terminator is the only thing I'm looking forward to, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    they already made that movie in japan. It's called like dragonball reborn, or unleashed or something. it's really terrible. if you should happen to come across it it might be worth checking out when you're really baked. I think you can see some footage on youtube.

I don't care about any of these stupid remakes. Terminator is the only thing I'm looking forward to, as far as I know.
    i had high hopes for it at first cus it was originally being produced by stephen chow (kung-fu hustle,shaolin socer)

but his name's not on the credits anymore
    and yeah it looks lame from what i've seen of the production pics. especially the super saiyan monkey mode makeup. it's almost as bad as ice t playing booga in tank-girl.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

monsters vs aliens. only because of who i'll be watching it with.

Quote Originally Posted by Head Wreck
    monsters vs aliens. only because of who i'll be watching it with.
    with a monster or an alien?

lol

I was looking out for the film adaption of American McGee's Alice, but it seems to have been canceled/delayed again.

Tim Burton's also (re)doing Alice, but that's barely even half as promising, if still not too bad.

Clockwork Jello's Avatar Droog

QFT!

Honestly though, if it comes over here, I will probably get drunk with friends and convince them to go watch it drunk with me and just laugh at its horridness.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork Jello
    QFT!

Honestly though, if it comes over here, I will probably get drunk with friends and convince them to go watch it drunk with me and just laugh at its horridness.
    in all honesty, i kinda liked dragon ball, i think the problem with it is they very loosely based it on the book journey to the west which has talking animals in it, i mean, the monkey king is like one of the main characters of the story along with pigsy (which became goku and krillin in dragonball) but the problem is they dilluted it from that storyline too much to really make it worth watching after a while and all that was really left of the story that inspired it was them flying around on clouds.

QFT!

LOL Every once in a while a gem pops out of these fingertips.
    But seriously, I couldn't even make myself watch 5 seconds of Speed Racer, and this DBZ live action film is somehow even more moronic looking.

LOL Every once in a while a gem pops out of these fingertips.
    But seriously, I couldn't even make myself watch 5 seconds of Speed Racer, and this DBZ live action film is somehow even more moronic looking.
    Actually speed racer was very good. The camera work was amazing and the use of light and color was awe inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Aza
    " I'm going expecting to see - and therefore won't be disappointed when I do see - a frame-by-frame motion-picture remake of a graphic novel, pretty much as was done for "Sin City" and "300," neither of which disappointed me in the least, save for the slow-motion fight sequences which I think have been overdone to the point of being 'retro'.)
    was just thinking about this. there's actually gonna be a motion comic copy of the graphic novel on dvd. what they do basically is animate the original artwork and make it into a movie from that. it's pretty cool. they did it for the graphic novel that took place between 28 days and 28 weeks later and put it on the dvd for 28 weeks later in the special features.

Actually speed racer was very good. The camera work was amazing and the use of light and color was awe inspiring.
    I dunno, the graphic work looked overdone, like sky captain. Almost like they were trying to compensate for a lack of real plot or even usable, believable dialog. And the acting was atrocious from what bit I did catch. I love Christina, but yea... I was in pain.

I dunno, the graphic work looked overdone, like sky captain. Almost like they were trying to compensate for a lack of real plot or even usable, believable dialog. And the acting was atrocious from what bit I did catch. I love Christina, but yea... I was in pain.
    Yeah Sky Captain was pretty boring. Everytime I get images from that movie stuck in my head I have to go watch Elegant Machinery - Move to wash it from my head. ick. As for bad acting I didn't really pay attention to the quality of the acting, but then again during the entire movie I just kept remembering how god awful the original speed racer was. I kept imagining if what was currently on screen happened in the show. Yeah I had quite a few chuckles from that.

did they do the whole

"im sitting in the cockpit talking really really fast in my head while not moving a muscle as lines go by in the background illustrating that theres movement going on because otherwise there wouldnt really be any indication of movement and people would think they were just looking at the same frame over and over again which they really really were except it has movement in the background-oh?"

lol

I don't even remember. Honestly the movie was so boring that I didnt even finish watching it and barely remember any of it besides that It was uttery dull. I think Angelina Jolie had an eyepatch. She might have been a pirate...

I don't even remember. Honestly the movie was so boring that I didnt even finish watching it and barely remember any of it besides that It was uttery dull. I think Angelina Jolie had an eyepatch. She might have been a pirate...
    huh? oh no no no dear droogie, i was referring to speed racer, they did that alot in the show lol

huh? oh no no no dear droogie, i was referring to speed racer, they did that alot in the show lol

oh lol I saw "cockpit" and went aircraft train of though. Wel that would explain why I kept reading your description really really fast and couldnt slow it down in my head to save my life.down
    No, but you could tell the Wachowski brothers were trying to leave a hint of that in. They made some dialog touch along the outskirts of spastic. Especially the younger brother.

was just thinking about this. there's actually gonna be a motion comic copy of the graphic novel on dvd. what they do basically is animate the original artwork and make it into a movie from that. it's pretty cool. they did it for the graphic novel that took place between 28 days and 28 weeks later and put it on the dvd for 28 weeks later in the special features.
    are you sure about that? In the comic all of the characters are reading a comic, and this story runs alongside the main narrative. Obviously they are taking it out of the theatrical version, but apparently they will be shooting it and it will be on the DVD, either as a supplementary feature or re-cut into the film itself.

word on the street is that they took out the giant squid that destroys new york city at the end. yes, I just gave away the ending- well sort of, because you won't be seeing it. so i didn't really give it away...

coolness. i wanted to see it for christina ricci, but it didnt even looked like she donned the sleevless striped top and short shorts trixie is known for wearing in the commercials for it..christina ricci in short shorts.....drool lol

oh yeah, I do kind of want to see Crank: high voltage, or whatever it is called. it looks even more absurdly fun than the first one.

Malcolm, have you read Rant by chuck palahniuk? they have optioned it for a movie, although I don't even know if they have a script in progress yet. But I'm thinking christina ricci as echo lawrence. Of course they would have to make her look kind of retarded (that's another spoiler, i'm an asshole.) but I think it would totally work.

are you sure about that? In the comic all of the characters are reading a comic, and this story runs alongside the main narrative. Obviously they are taking it out of the theatrical version, but apparently they will be shooting it and it will be on the DVD, either as a supplementary feature or re-cut into the film itself.

word on the street is that they took out the giant squid that destroys new york city at the end. yes, I just gave away the ending- well sort of, because you won't be seeing it. so i didn't really give it away...
    yeah pretty sure they're doing it. i was on the dark horse comic's website the other night and they had an advertisement for the animated comic on dvd. it'll probably just hit specialty market stores like comicbook shops and shit but yeah, they're making one.

oh yeah, I do kind of want to see Crank: high voltage, or whatever it is called. it looks even more absurdly fun than the first one.

Malcolm, have you read Rant by chuck palahniuk? they have optioned it for a movie, although I don't even know if they have a script in progress yet. But I'm thinking christina ricci as echo lawrence. Of course they would have to make her look kind of retarded (that's another spoiler, i'm an asshole.) but I think it would totally work.
    sadlty i havent read that yet. i've lived a sheltered life i know lol but then again how many people have read umbrella academy or tarot witch of the black rose aroudn here? i'll have to check it out though. and i dont think it would be too hard to make her look retarded if she wants the part. i mean, i didnt think seth green would make a good james st. james in party monster and yet there he was in blonde bob wig, birght green shorts and fishnet top glamming it up lol

yeah pretty sure they're doing it. i was on the dark horse comic's website the other night and they had an advertisement for the animated comic on dvd. it'll probably just hit specialty market stores like comicbook shops and shit but yeah, they're making one.
    wait, what? i thought we were talking about the Watchmen movie here?

wait, what? i thought we were talking about the Watchmen movie here?
    we are. all the major comic book companies are cross promtoing other companies stuff to try to build awareness to comic books these days.
    i've even seen advertisements for ghost rider on dvd in some of the vertigo titles i was reading when that came out. the comicbook industry has gotten more closeknit since the 90s. it's kinda cool to be honest cus like mos tpeople, i dont read from one specific company all together.

I think it sucks. darkhorse should not be advertising for the shit at DC, and DC should not be advertising for the shit at marvel. and marvel? they don't advertise for anyone because they are cunts.

aside form the marvel zombies series and terror inc which was techincally max press (marvel's answer to dc's vertigo) I havent cracke dopen a marvel comic since i was like 14? but yeah, they do it big time nowadays. i've gotten to where I just wait for the titles to hit tpb or hardcover before i read it. no advertisements in those lol

yeah, we're getting pretty OT here. maybe start a comic book thread?

+ Reply to Thread