+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you bellive in god?

toxicat's Avatar catty member

Default Re: Do you bellive in god?

me, too, and I'm partial to the AE pantheon - not in a SG1 kind of way,
    although I admit I'm turned on by Zecharia Sitchin's and others' alien theories.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    yes. several and of both spectrums god and goddess alike.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Don't know, don't really care. All I really have to say, is that if there is a god, and it's the one from the Jewish/Christian/Muslim faiths (because they all use the same god), then the fucker is an asshole.

Bedlamite

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    Write your local congressman.
    hahahaha..

haha.

ha.

toxicat's Avatar catty member

Why yes, I do believe in Cat; do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk
    Well people accept that something is false if there is no evidence, or evidence that has a good chance of being made afterward. They then believe that the opposite is true, yet this is not the case with religion. Faith denies the logical reasoning skills and makes people blind to other possibilities.
    I can see where you're coming from. Being atheist and believing there is no god/creator at all and never can be makes people blind to other possibilities.

All we do know assuredly is we exist right? The universe was created. We have ideas and some proof for how it was created but we dont know for sure.

I'd say God or some kind of creative force is a valid theory.

This isint pointed at you but just felt like it needed to be said. Most people I know that are Atheists are atheist because of their experiences with just western religion (Christianity, Judaism and the like). I encourage everyone to research other forms of spirituality/religion if you want any depth. I was an atheist for awhile but exploring other ideas, philosophy's and styles of belief that were so completely alien to my former western only view point changed me a lot.

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

i'm not sure... i' was raised Roman Catholic (i'm mexican) and I've NEVER missed mass on Sunday EVER since I was born... I swear to "god" i haven't... I've gone to mass every Sunday since I was born up until I moved out of my parents house at age 18....

when i moved out..i stopped goin, and my parents would bug the shit out of me for the next two years "did u go to mass/church" when they would call me on SUndays, and they would call EVERY sunday probably purposely..i hate mass..ugh BORING

You see, there's one of the main problems of religion. People think just following rules will get you to heaven. How does it really work? Do you need to be perfect on the outside but inside you can think of most awful things but if no one knows about them you go to heaven? Or is it opposite? You get to do awful stuff but if you're truly good inside then you get to go to heaven?

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    You see, there's one of the main problems of religion. People think just following rules will get you to heaven. How does it really work? Do you need to be perfect on the outside but inside you can think of most awful things but if no one knows about them you go to heaven? Or is it opposite? You get to do awful stuff but if you're truly good inside then you get to go to heaven?
    I was raised Roman Catholic also. To me, a Catholic mass is the most boring mass you can attend. Everything I learned about my religion, I learned outside of mass. I was taught 2 opposite things, that never made sense to me. One is...God is everywhere. Two is....Go to church, because that is where you'll find him. What? I thought he was everywhere? So, no, I do not go anymore. Does that mean I'm going to Hell? IDK. Of course, the whole idea of a heaven and a hell makes really no sense to me at all.

I think ideally you're supposed to be good on the outside as well as the inside to get to heaven. At least, that would make the most sense to me. Then again, I would then think that most people would be relegated to Hell. Probably the most realistic would be be good on the outside, but not always having pure good thoughts on the inside. You might not always have pure thoughts, but if your not actually acting on them, than that probably isn't so bad.

theDragon_svDragcos's Avatar "Vampyre" / Senior Member
    ...~"No where in paticular"~...I've never had any Regular home ~ I moved around a'Lot.

Simply ~ YES, I DO.
    ':-)

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I believe there are things which are fundamentally right or fundamentally wrong. Where the rightness or wrongness comes from, I'm . . . open-minded on, don't totally care where someone gets their core values from but feel goodness matters.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I think Bill Reiley really nailed it in his "Religulous" movie.

He says the most honest thing most people can say, and should say, is that they don't know. How can people be so totally sure their truth is right?

Unless you personally have chatted with god, or seen heaven, or anything like that, then you are just going off what other people told you. And do you *really* believe every single thing people say?

I think it's a lot more realistic when people say they feel a force in the world, or feel the hand of fate, or feel like there is some purpose to things. If you feel that, great! That's your truth. Something you've actually experienced. But don't tell me there are these specific rules, unless god came down and personally told you these rules. Otherwise you are just telling me what someone else told you. The same priest who may have molested some kids, is the same guy who told you these "rules". If I say Santa Claus came down and gave me the 15 commandments last night, and they tell you how to live, do you believe me? Probably not.

Only believe it if it happens to you.

And don't go around telling other people that what you believe is true, unless you are talking about an actual experience. If you had an experience where you saw god, or sensed god, I'd love to hear about it. Especially firsthand experiences. But I am not interested in hearing what someone else told you about the nature of god.

I believe in faith. Those that truely have that in god ( or even that of a higher nature) will then be elevated and move on after death.
    I think existance after death varies from person to person, ie those that believe in heaven and lived and abided by the bible standards ( ten comandments) will go there. Buddahists will reincarnate, those that are pure evil ( and i know a few) will go to hell. Aeithists will just die and nothing more and egnostics will walk the earth as spirits because they havent chosen a path.
    This is the way I like to think things will turn out, but no1 will ever know until death happens.
    I have seen far too many friends and family die without coming to a good conclusion about the afterlife. I accept that i will never know, but during my own life i can at the very least pray and hope that there is something more to it than just science.
    So yes i do believe in God, but in more the way that He or It is a concept rather than an omnipotent being.

+ Reply to Thread