+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you bellive in god?

Default Do you bellive in god?

If you do then define it as best as you can.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Default Re: Do you bellive in god?

I believe in a sort of higher being but I couldn't even begin to describe it.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

I believe in personal accountability, and if you ever meet your "god" (by whatever name you may), they'll tell you the exact same thing.

"Thou art God!" - Valentine Michael Smith

I'm agnostic when it comes to a god as the creator. If there really is a god that was "here" before all of us and created everything then it's definitely not an intelligent being. I see it more as a very smart computer that can't feel emotion.
    Do you know that joke when a scientist discovers a formula that can calculate if there is a god?

For me, even all that alien gene manipulation aliens sounds possible. We can do the same thing if we ever reach another planet with life. (What if we really are alone in this universe) I still believe more in this than in god itself. On god I'm 50/50. On this I'm 60/40.

Thou art God sounds so bipolar.

No I don't believe in god.

Even if I did, atheism is the only viable public stance one can take.

We have to base our society on the idea that there is no after life, there is no "second chance" to do it over, that there are no rewards in the next life, so we'd better get it right in this one.

Religious fanaticism is a very real danger to civil society. Irrational ideas for ancient books guiding modern governments is just a bad deal.

We've been tolerant of their bullshit for too long, they preach that their gods will destroy us all the time. Separation of church, and state wasn't a suggestion, and it's not optional.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

****We have to base our society on the idea that there is no after life, there is no "second chance" to do it over, that there are no rewards in the next life, so we'd better get it right in this one.****

Yeah, but with your stance, doing things right or wrong, in the end, you'd be future dirt, so why would you even really care so much in doing it "right" in this life? After you died, there's nothing, so why care at all? Seems to me if I believed in true atheism, all the pressure would be off because after you're dead, they're no regrets or rewards.....Just blackness.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

It depends on your perspective. If this is all there is, and you only have this one lifespan, then you want to do as much as possible, or accomplish as much as possible. It would seem like kind of a waste to let your life be a waste of time and energy. Even if you are one of those people who believe in a traditional god and afterlife, this is still your only life on planet earth. So you might as well make the best of it. Because you aren't coming back any time soon. If ever...

And no, I don't believe in a god in any traditional sense.

Could aliens or some entity have created life on planet earth?
    Sure.

Just like we could go to some habitable planet in a spaceship,
    drop off some animals, and fish, and see what happens 500 million
    years from now. For all we know, the earth is a giant "aquarium"
    for the amusement of some alien race... I am open to many
    different possibilities.

But the most likely one, in my opinion, is that the universe
    explodes, expands, contracts, and explodes again,
    in a never-ending cycle. The only reason we think time
    has to have a beginning, is because we put that idea
    down on paper. So it's a concept pretty strongly
    locked in our heads. But the native americans
    did not believe in linear time. They looked at the
    cycles of life and death and by observing nature,
    they felt like time was a circle, not a line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    Yeah, but with your stance, doing things right or wrong, in the end, you'd be future dirt, so why would you even really care so much in doing it "right" in this life? After you died, there's nothing, so why care at all? Seems to me if I believed in true atheism, all the pressure would be off because after you're dead, they're no regrets or rewards.....Just blackness.
    That particular pressure would be off you, and yes, as an atheist I would consider it advisable to live for your own happiness, here and now. But there's no reason why that needs to be a destructive effort; empathy, love, the rush of standing up for what you believe is right... these things aren't divine inspiration, they're part of the neurological composition of the human mind, and they're things that can make us happy.

In fact, it's only because these things are part of our nature that they ever got incorporated into religions, insofar as they are. Religion isn't their cause, just their rationalization, or even just a distinct concept looking to mooch off their good reputation. People won't stop feeling them because that's gone; they'll come up with a new and hopefully better reason for indulging them, like the personal pursuit of happiness.

Nos's Avatar Senior Member

I do believe in a higher power and it's very hard to explain. Maybe I'll find out when I die, maybe I won't.

Here on earth ... I am my own god

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

someone's got to be responsible for the joke that is the human race

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    No I don't believe in god.

Even if I did, atheism is the only viable public stance one can take.

We have to base our society on the idea that there is no after life, there is no "second chance" to do it over, that there are no rewards in the next life, so we'd better get it right in this one.

Religious fanaticism is a very real danger to civil society. Irrational ideas for ancient books guiding modern governments is just a bad deal.

We've been tolerant of their bullshit for too long, they preach that their gods will destroy us all the time. Separation of church, and state wasn't a suggestion, and it's not optional.
    Every major religion is a religion of peace. Where did you that point of view?

I believe that a creative force made the universe, wrote the math for it and set it loose. Its energy and being forms and sustains it.

You are a part of the universe and the universe is a part of you. This fact is undeniable.

I believe all life is innately special and holy in its own way.Its my hope to one day look and see the God in everyone and everything. To experience the kind of universal love only possible when I can see the connection between everyone and everything.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

No.

Xavialune's Avatar Senior Member

Higher beings maybe..energy..spirits...but not God, or multiple ones (male or female)..especially not a creator, unless it was aliens

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

yes. several and of both spectrums god and goddess alike.

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

I believe there is something more than me, more than the rest of living things on this planet.
    But i dont worship it.
    I do live my life by what i can and cant do because of what a "god" says.

I always find myself contradicting myself with these things either way.
    IDK.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I believe in a sort of higher being but I couldn't even begin to describe it.
    I'm trying again to describe what I believe but its really hard, and there aren't enough words..... some of those words don't even exist, and I don't know what they are, but I do know, that for me there is another higher being that not only looks out for me, but is reachable. sometimes I think its myself, sometimes I call it the universe, sometimes I call it god, and if its god, its niether male, nor female........

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I'm trying again to describe what I believe but its really hard, and there aren't enough words.....
    Little friendly advice - in the throes of passion, just call it "God". You'll confuse him shouting "Oh. My. Anotherhigherbeingthatnotonlylooksoutformebutisrea chable!!!"

I don't believe in God; I believe in believing in God. The effect is in the belief - it doesn't matter if he/she/it/they exist beyond the concept you have of them.

Kinda wanna build on what I said earlier and why I came to the conclusion some kind of god exists. If you remove religion entirely from the equation,

Atheism is basically: Billions of years ago there was absolutely nothing. Then that nothing exploded. Now there is everything billions of years later through physics/atoms/math and more mixing together and creating life and everything. Atheism unlike Agnostics believe without doubt that there is absolutely no god or any kind of force beyond the physical world of the senses.

Its much more realistic to me anyway that some kind of force provided the initial energy for the big bang and set it in motion. You could very easily say "Well what created god then" and I understand where you are coming from and respect that belief but a being we can not understand having power enough to create the universe makes a lot more sense then saying that absolutely nothing somehow made everything. If you believe some kind of God or creative force exists then you're opening the door to alot more scientific and spiritual investigation and not just closing your eyes to the possibility of anything.

I don't think everyone wants a religion. After some of my experiences I can totally see why. But I encourage everyone to seek out knowledge and to learn. Christianity did not work? Look into Buddhism. Buddhism not your deal? Swing by Hinduism. Hinduism make syou angry? Research Modern Paganism, Paganism too weird for you? Look into Sikhism, Islam, Jainism etc.

Learning about new religions/cultures/ideas only strengthens and enriches you. There is no downside to it. If you totally believe in Atheism or Agnosticism anyway then what could it hurt?

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

No. Epically the Cristian God. I have had some really good debates with my friend about this because shes a very devout Christian.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk
    No. Epically the Cristian God. I have had some really good debates with my friend about this because shes a very devout Christian.
    Arguing Christianity with a devout christian is mental masturbation.

Yes, I love Gary Busey!

No, I did believe once but now I'm an Atheist.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Arguing Christianity with a devout christian is mental masturbation.
    I just think its hilarious when she gets pissed at me cos she cant think of a reason that proves shes right that isnt circumstantial

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't believe in God, and I doubt very much that God believes in me either.

At least we has proof that your real.

I just think its hilarious when she gets pissed at me cos she cant think of a reason that proves shes right that isnt circumstantial
    And Atheism has a circumstantial reason?

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

Quote Originally Posted by ROGIZOID
    I do live my life by what i can and cant do because of what a "god" says.

NOT BY WHAT GOD SAYS.
    I mustve been high or something.

::rubs chin::

DPietz's Avatar Member

God is a father. He is a parent. He is physical and we are after his image.
    Life is a proving ground, a test, an opportunity to learn to develop faith and self-control.

Found it - Here's god aka The Bloop.

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

im really not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    And Atheism has a circumstantial reason?
    Well people accept that something is false if there is no evidence, or evidence that has a good chance of being made afterward. They then believe that the opposite is true, yet this is not the case with religion. Faith denies the logical reasoning skills and makes people blind to other possibilities.

Bedlamite

I like to think of any think like this as the 'Greater Order' or something. I like to think of it as a pattern & rhythm of life that seems supernatural, but is simply the nature of the universe.

It always made me nervous to think that some Guy was always watching me, but found the thought of existence after death appealing. I also fail to like the concepts of living on as fertilizer for grass, or becoming one with everyone else's energies as an ultimately satisfying end.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    I like to think of any think like this as the 'Greater Order' or something. I like to think of it as a pattern & rhythm of life that seems supernatural, but is simply the nature of the universe.

It always made me nervous to think that some Guy was always watching me, but found the thought of existence after death appealing. I also fail to like the concepts of living on as fertilizer for grass, or becoming one with everyone else's energies as an ultimately satisfying end.
    Who said it would be satisfying? Organized religion aside.

Well people accept that something is false if there is no evidence, or evidence that has a good chance of being made afterward. They then believe that the opposite is true, yet this is not the case with religion. Faith denies the logical reasoning skills and makes people blind to other possibilities.
    Who are you? Raza Jr?

And, oh yeah, Bloop is, indeed God. I saw it on Fox news and we all know they don't lie.

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

being from a small town filled with mainly southern baptist and pentocostals (sp) i tend to tell people i'm an atheist to be left alone but truly i don't know. due to being raised to believe in 'god' and having faith when i was younger i'm always conflicted. honestly i don't want there to be a god, but who knows

Bedlamite

Who said it would be satisfying? Organized religion aside.
    Who said it isn't? Nobody can be proven right until we die, or judgment day, or the rise of the cybertrons. Until then, I can demand satisfaction.

Who are you? Raza Jr?
    No, thats how my finger words come out though xD

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    Who said it isn't? Nobody can be proven right until we die, or judgment day, or the rise of the cybertrons. Until then, I can demand satisfaction.
    Write your local congressman.

+ Reply to Thread