+ Reply to Thread

Thread: d you enjoy dressing in costumes? why?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default d you enjoy dressing in costumes? why?

im not gonna lie, i love dressing up in costumes. i think they're fun and some of them are even comfy-like the zombie nurse dress im wearing right now.
    -it's laundry day-

anyway i've always enjoyed wearing costumes like dresses and rbes and such as a comfort cloth in ways. i remember when my parents got divorced i used to wear my little monk costume i bought one year for halloween all the tme as a robe (i was one of those thingys from mario bros. 2 with the hockey masks and pixie wings?)

when i was a teenager i used to take store bought costumes and chop em up and sew them into shrits and skirts and stuff whjich people thought was weird back then but that it looked cool (there was no hottopic back then.) and even nowadays if im not wearing jeans and dress shirts, im usually in halloween costumes like my pimp girl outfit or my nurse outfit or even my vampiress dress or clown chick suit.

i think it's because i feel more 'real" when im wearing a costume than when im having to wear regular clothing etc. and im not gonna lie, im a little too fat to be pulling soem of these outfits off.

I also find it easier to look for women's costumes than it is for women's clothing so that may have a little do with it. but anwyay, that's why i enjoy wearing costumes, do you enjoy wearing costumes?

(pics of me as clownzilla v.1 and nurse amy v.1, theyve been updated since these pics.)

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

Default Re: d you enjoy dressing in costumes? why?

I'm a geek. And wear costumes on cam ALL the time.
    I want so many more even.
    I think I have like 8 or 9 right now?
    Will have 2 more for gencon

awesome. i have a few guy ones too the one i really wanna do though is assaj ventriss from the old clone wars cartoon (not the new one) and the white violin from the umbrella academy. do you normally make yours or construct them form bits and pieces or ju8st buy fully assmebled ones-i did that with my naruto uzumaki costume but had to tweek the forehead protector a bit and need new boots.

Mine have all been bought off my wishlist thus far.
    Unfortunately I dont have a sewing machine, or I'd be cranking em out left and right.
    For gencon, I'm going as Tifa or Rikku on day 1 and Paine on day 3.... Going all out too. Gonna do my hair as them and everything

heh hehe awesome. which version of pain are you going as? sorry, i read the scans so i might be ahead of the show lol. im thinking of actually tweeking the naruto costume some more to do his senin phase version i had an idea of making a sexy jutsu one too but that's for after my surgery and stuff lol

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I actually like them very much. I rarely wear them though. living here in the south doesn't present much opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by allah
    (sp)
    the only military costume i ever wanted to do was the red skull from ww2 but alas, those uniforms are kinda hard to come by. it have been cool though cus you could switch out the logos on it to do baron von strucker too.
    heil hydra! lol

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    heh hehe awesome. which version of pain are you going as? sorry, i read the scans so i might be ahead of the show lol. im thinking of actually tweeking the naruto costume some more to do his senin phase version i had an idea of making a sexy jutsu one too but that's for after my surgery and stuff lol
    Oh... Paine from Final Fantasy X-2, not naruto

I would LOVE to go as a Shippuden Hinata sometime though.

Lois Griffin is hot.

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

My whole life is playing dress up. Whee!

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I live in costume. Well okay, I bum around in jeans and tshirts, but I "dress up" to go out, when I'm at work...

~K

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

I don't go so far out of my way to freak out the public as I used to... though I do still have most of my best goth gear, and K has an excellent makeup collection, and those occasionally combine into a good night out. I grew bored with shocking bystanders quite a while ago; they all respond more or less the same way to the same stimuli time and time again. Besides, there's still nothing that feels so comfortable on me as a pair of jeans and a t-shirt... usually black, because that's what I own (a trend going back to my tech theater days), and that's what always matches.

I enjoy masquerade balls, however, and would be glad to own any of David Bowie's costumes from "Labyrinth." My basic tuxedo, try as I may to accessorize it, is still just a tuxedo. I would also still like to purchase an equivalent of the costume I wore to my second day of Convergence 13: what can only be described as a Jack the Ripper outfit. Truth be told, I'm fairly picky about my costumes. I'm not enough of a fan of any characters from any medium to bother dressing up like them. I can construct a suitable costume from nothing more than strips of black electrical tape and a matching banana-hammock.

Complications arise though. Thanks to my friend Doug, I technically am a costume; he was kind and eccentric enough to dress up as me in Halloween of 2000. Since that day, it could be argued that because I always dress like me, I'm always in costume.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

can't be bothered to anymore

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I'd like to, but I never really have since I was a kid. Unless being a punk counts. I suppose it does, it's a pretty silly costume.

i think the hardest costume i wanted to try to make was the karas armor cus i wanted it to be semi hard instead of soft foam like the kamen rider outfits are. plus the characters really fast on the movie so it's hard to freeze frame him to get the armor right lol.

my bad on the mix up,athena. i dont play ff so i am not familiar with them so much lol hinata would be cool. the only thing i've learned from the costumes that you can buy of em is make sure to buy the boots separate or make your own pair cus yeah thwe ones they send along with them are horrible. they zip in th eback and they're stitched to wear the major stress point goes straight across the part where your foot and ankle meet up.

I would screw that fifth hokage without hesitation

tsunade? you know she's like in her fifties and that's just a "spell" she uses to look that young,right? shes actually as old as jaraiya was before he died. oops! (i didnt say that.)

I read the manga... No worries

Would be a sucker if she dispelled that spell in middle of my peak.

lol yeah is tarted reading the scans so i could be ahead of the customers we would have come into the sword shop to talk shop on the subject.

it was pretty funny when they introduced tobi on the show and some kid came in all smart ass about him and i just dropped some science on his ass bigtime lol

and yeah that would suck. from what jaraiya was saying in the comic...she didnt age so well.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I never wear costumes! Costumes are LAME!

those are badass,dk! who is that supposed to be at the top? jackfrost?

the frost knight is raad.

yeah that was the one i was askign about lol

I never copy anyone else's designs.

So none of them are from any specific movie, or comic.
    Just ideas in my head.

i like em. i've been piecing together a more realistic looking or hellbound looking cosplay of scorpion form mortal kombat. gonna ahve to wait for the halloween season to come up thoguh to finish it and find a new place that sells black hakamas. i wanna actually make it to wear i can wear a skull mask underneath the mempo and have a half face mask over it too. already made a wicked gnarled up looking kunei for it and i have this charred black skull im using as a "belt buckle" for the obi around the wait.

but you're stuff look amazing.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

Ive never actusally tried cos I cant buy anything and I dont know how to make the things I want

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I love dressing up in general, costumes or just getting out to go somewhere and going to places with a theme night, ah yes, all very enjoyable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    i like em. i've been piecing together a more realistic looking or hellbound looking cosplay of scorpion form mortal kombat.
    Sounds pretty cool!

so far it is. i actually have a black linen utility kimono (one without the sleeve pockets) that i literally tore the arms off of to go with the look and a gold colored skull mask i cut in half to make the menpo with so it's kinda jagged looking at the top and im using the shin guard from the 300 spartan costume for his shin guards. just need find a decent pair of black hakamas and i think im gonna go with standard combat boots over tabi boots for it too.

I think I mentioned it before, but the best costume I've seen was the fat guy 300 spartan warrior.

So I actually DID end up going as Hinata from Naruto Shippuden for GenCon this year

I will be making the pants this week so I can do a photoshoot w/ funkatron next sunday

and the porridge was just

yayyy dressup! its my favorite!

Perkeo's Avatar Junior Member

I wish I would have seen you at GenCon this year Athena...maybe next time.

I don't have a lot of costumes but I have a Tusken Raider and working on a Storm Commando from Star Wars. I also do some pirate and Viking re-creation stuff every now and then.

+ Reply to Thread