+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When you can't really blame anyone...

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Default When you can't really blame anyone...

So I set up this meeting yesterday evening, for tonight at 5 pm, for a personal assistant job. This was one of those cushy "too good to be true" kind of gigs. Guy had it in his budget to have a secretary come in for four hours a day, four days a week at $500 a week. Job requirements included filing, typing (i've got 65 wpm easy), and answering phones. Also a sense of humour and being office eye candy (I asked, no sexual favours required). I got all dolled up, bussed down to the pub we had arranged to meet for drinks at for a first impressions kind of interview. I sat there till 5:20 and then messaged him to see where he was. Apparently he TEXTED me this morning at 11 that the position was filled last night and he was cancelling. I didn't get said message till he texted me in response.

I want to be pissed off at the guy for not letting me know, ie not calling or emailing me, but I can't justify being all that mad at him because he did, technically, message me to let me know the meeting was cancelled. Granted he did use the LEAST reliable form of communication, but he did attempt to communicate. I am pissed off at him for not at least meeting with all the candidates before picking one (how totally unfair!)

I want to be pissed at Verizon for not sending my messages through till late, but that's one of the hazards of text messages (see above).

So now I'm sitting here, frustrated, with no real target and a desire to kick something really hard till part of it shatters...

This kind of crap ever happen to you?

~K

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default Re: When you can't really blame anyone...

a few times especially ovwer the summer hwen i was talking with a local shop owner out here about doing some teeshirt designs for him and we'd end up playing phone tag more than actually doing anything. it was a big hot mess.

sorry that happened to ya, k.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

sure, I've had it happen lots.................kind of the way the world works

you get used to it and learn to play the game..........sucks, but that's the way it is

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

yes damn it.
    important text messages not getting to my phone maybe even 2 days later.
    thats why i turned text off.

He should have called you. It's more professional. Then again, Verizon shouldn't be a piece of shit, especially since all their commercials boast about what a good team they are.

I had a job interview/ prospective job where they couldn't figure out how to deal when they learned I didn't have a cell phone.

The concept of an answering machine was beyond them. The idea that I wasn't at their beck and call every second seemed too far out for them.

To top it all off they couldn't be arsed to offer me the job in a timely manner. A week and a half after they told me they'd let me know they called me. At which point I decided that their other signs of flakieness were indications of a bad employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerian Reign
    He should have called you. It's more professional.
    my thoughts exactly.

~K

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Yeah, that shit's especially bad in the military, or my unit at least. Not receiving texts saying that formation was canceled and I need to be someone else instead, my shift got changed, I need to cover staff duty for someone, or I need to come in from a bird but everyone's too lazy to walk out to grab me, all that kind of shit. I'm thinking about telling them I got rid of my cell phone and just not give them the new number or let them see the phone...

^^^ Dude, that is NO WAY to run a military operation AT ALL. Unreliable, unprofessional, impractical and hardly tactically sound. Say there's a plane engine running near by, or gunfire, or drills or whatever else military people do that isn't killing other military people, and you don't hear the thing go off, or the battery dies cause you've been out here for 4 days, or it gets dropped in the sand/brush and is never seen again, how do you get your orders then? I am appalled that anyone with a shred of common sense would attempt to use text messaging (ooh lets have our guys give away their positions with noises and some of the brightest little LCD screens there are!) as a way to run an outfit. Someone needs to be bitch-slapped for that move.

~K

Quote Originally Posted by Valerian Reign
    He should have called you. It's more professional. Then again, Verizon shouldn't be a piece of shit, especially since all their commercials boast about what a good team they are.
    Good products don't need commercials.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

something about the situatin seems wrong to me. I've read your post about six times since yesterday, and I still can't help feeling like he flaked on you because there was no sex in the deal. no one hires "eye candy" that they can't have, not in real businesses, anyway.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey
    Yeah, that shit's especially bad in the military, or my unit at least. Not receiving texts saying that formation was canceled and I need to be someone else instead, my shift got changed, I need to cover staff duty for someone, or I need to come in from a bird but everyone's too lazy to walk out to grab me, all that kind of shit. I'm thinking about telling them I got rid of my cell phone and just not give them the new number or let them see the phone...
    wow. they actually styarted using cellphones to pass out orders now? shit. the military has changed since i was in it. that sucks though.

+ Reply to Thread