+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Special effects contact lenses?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Special effects contact lenses?

We've used them on shoots and have a lot of friends that wear them out on the town and stuff, but I've actually never worn them myself yet. I guess I just kinda don't like the eye doctor, but I was thinking of picking some up. Anybody here wear them? Any thoughts? I think they sometimes look cool and sometimes look really stupid, but I'm sure I could pick some cool ones out.

Default Re: Special effects contact lenses?

I was told they have glow in the dark types with some sort of eye protection filter , for the light.

Do they really have those?

It would be cool to get the Red glow in the Dark versions .

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I tend to like those. I really really want either a pair of amber wolf eyes or should I ever have a fair amount of the proverbial fat cash, I want a pair of dragon eye sclera lenses. I wouldn't wear them all the time but some outfits just need that extra bit of somethin somethin.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Haha... My eyes glow a lot more than normal under blacklight. I think it's because my pupils are always dilated about 15% too much. My mom had that even worse than I do and actually damaged her eyes in normal sunlight when she was young. I've always had very light sensitive eyes. Some people have even conjectured that this has something to do with the fact that the pictures Amelia and I like to produce tend to be very brightly lit. That's also why I don't tend to like the eye doctor. I actually had to wear a patch over one of my eyes for years during grade school.

Either way, your pictures Rock! They are brightly lit, but they are also full of the energy that can best be obtained that way.

Btw, Is that true about the Glow in the Dark Contact lenses?

Pzychotic's Avatar Dark Entity

I guess I'm kinda simple, like nudemuse had said, if I had the extra cashola it would be one jet black the other opaque...

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

forrest the make contact lenses that filter uv light but are transparent on the eye

also from one of my theatre friends informed me there are two types of fx contacts one are the old style that have been around for awhile used in theatre and such ...but the can only be worn for a few hours at a time before they can mess up your eyesight

the others are just regular contact lenses that look kool... when purchasing make sure to check for that distinction between the two types.

as for personal liking: as with anything if they are done right and fit your personal style then go for it

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

no prblesm with eyes....but if I could I would want omes that are crosshiars like a target marker....

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

www.9mmsfx.com i think thats it... they have some pretty kick ass designs.. I've never worn them but would like some ^.^

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Haha... My eyes glow a lot more than normal under blacklight. I think it's because my pupils are always dilated about 15% too much. My mom had that even worse than I do and actually damaged her eyes in normal sunlight when she was young. I've always had very light sensitive eyes. Some people have even conjectured that this has something to do with the fact that the pictures Amelia and I like to produce tend to be very brightly lit. That's also why I don't tend to like the eye doctor. I actually had to wear a patch over one of my eyes for years during grade school.
    Some are quite blinding at times and others on occasion contain a lot of white. Took me a while to get use to it since I'm partial to the other end of the spectrum for sight reasons. But all that is what really make the images stand out and eye catching...plus I've grown to like that blinding sense I get from the assorted images...It's actually kinda comforting.

Its like a radiant glow.

countessnichole's Avatar Wicca, Friend, Lover.

I want feline eyes... Meowrrr

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

The main issue with "theatrical" contact lenses, is that if you need them to be perscription, you have to get them through an optometrist, and they will cost you about $100. And they only last a couple of years before they are no good anymore. BUT... If you do not wear glasses, you can buy them online. I actually can get them in downtown LA for $30-45 per pair. Which is not that bad at all.

http://store.yahoo.net/eyecolor/

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i have some hard theatrical ones that have a mirror finish they look bad ass but they are really uncomfortable untilll you get used to them because they have to be hard lenses but they last longer they cost about 250 dollars but i got them for like 50 because i had to use them in a show

MidniteCliche's Avatar Senior Member

I saw some beautiful spiderweb ones online and melted. Unfortunately, I have some sort of freak paranoia about my eyes, that I am unaware of until the eyedrops come out. I once had an eye infection and had to go to the hospital, and the doc tried over a dozen times (each eye) to get drops in....no can do. I ended up having to dunk my upper face into the medicine and open my eyes. Same at the optomotrist office. They hate me! Hell, I can even poke my own eyeball, but someting about drops and/or contacts coming towards my iris is impossible! There is no way I could ever do it..... alas, I have sissed out again.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I found I had the same reaction to putting in the contacts for the first time...

The answer:

You have to use your fingers to hold your eyelids open forcibly.

That might work with the eyedrops.

Lange's Avatar Bull Shit!! I love Amelia

Get the ones with black "X"s...reminds me of old cartoons when someone got hit to hard.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Lange
    Get the ones with black "X"s...reminds me of old cartoons when someone got hit to hard.

Hmm . . . hungover today? I guess I did ask you to do shots for me, so I'm partly responsible.

Lange's Avatar Bull Shit!! I love Amelia

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Hmm . . . hungover today? I guess I did ask you to do shots for me, so I'm partly responsible.
    LOL...Here you go. They are called knock-out. http://www.wildcontacts.com/lenses_s...s_knockout.htm

Kevin Carter at www.9mmsfx.com has some good designs. Don't buy the cheap mass manufactured shit - go for the handpainted ones if you ever wear 'em. I had the Lost Boys pair for a few years before I took a long drive and the lens' solution came out of the container, and the lens' cracked.

CeruleanFire's Avatar Senior Member

I bought some last year (cats eye) but I couldnt get the damn things in...talk about a waste of money one place that had really great lenses, was a site called 9mm, but they were expensive. The more generic lenses can be found elsewhere for cheaper

CeruleanFire's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCreep
    Kevin Carter at www.9mmsfx.com has some good designs. Don't buy the cheap mass manufactured shit - go for the handpainted ones if you ever wear 'em. I had the Lost Boys pair for a few years before I took a long drive and the lens' solution came out of the container, and the lens' cracked.
    damn, I just realized you posted the info first. I agree tho. wonderful lenses

i have issues about my eyes too,but i had to get these blue ones(they're called zoomin').and since i'm blind as a bat,i had to get them prescription which cost a left nut.then i decided to go ahead and get the white out ones.it's kinda cool cuz if you were them during the day,they block out some of the sunlight(cuz they have a dark backing so your natural eye color won't show).overall i love them and have gotten used to them.even though they cost an arm and a leg,it was worth it.you can get most of those styles anywhere now - even wal mart!!

+ Reply to Thread