+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How is the economy effect those who own thier own company

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

Default How is the economy effect those who own thier own company

Myself I have been dealt a double whammy. I am not so much a retail operation, but I am a Builders surplus supply warehouse. So housing crash, and the banks no giving loans have made thing very hard. I am finally getting people that are looking for deals....

For one owner to another
    Those of you who own your own company. How is this economic environment effecting you.? Are you seeing very noticeable change in how people you target for your service or product?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: How is the economy effect those who own thier own company

been a few years since I've done the business thing.........I'm glad I'm in a different industry now and not still in residential

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Bank of America took billions from the US government and then they cut my credit line off entirely -- not for a reason; it was not in arrears, just because they decided to slash credit to cottage industry and such.

A lot of folks have it worse, so I can only be so bummed. I'm glad I don't work for a company which could just lay me off at a moment's notice, although I know some writers and other creative types who are enjoying a few weeks of unemployment benefits to work on art projects. Normally a bad economy might at least make labor more affordable, but the way our safety net is set up totally screws a former full-timer who picks up some part time gigs, so people go without working at all instead.

I think the state of the economy sucks for almost everyone, business owner or not.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

*knocks on wood*

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Yea, I don't own my own business BUT.....we are down to working only 3 days a week now BUT....we got out workshare so will at least be getting 55% of regular wages for the other 2 days.
    Economy blah blah....

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

working on building one up eventually but i can assur eyou, it sux not having a steady income right now. especially since they dont count [part time employment as unemployment check worthy out here and noone likes ot hire people on full time anymore out here because of it.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

not a business owner, just a lowly drone. but let me tell you, it sucks when unemployment pays better than the job that you have. maybe I should just get myself fired?

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

It's been all over the place. One month is great, the next is in the shitter.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

from owner stand point the hardest thing is letting people go. People you know are very good at what they do. You have spent all this time training them up. Just can not pay them and have your company last... Granted I only have 3 employees....

I am starting to see a little come back at least in the remolding people are going ahead a spending money regardless of the economic climate. People are trying to get that refinance, which is wonderful if it can move economy. I have about 2 steady months, hopeful that would go being that way.

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    *knocks on wood*
    ditto

It fucked me. Helped a good deal in destroying my business in Maryland (gaming center/nightclub) and post it's helped in not giving me the little guy a break when big business is getting saved left and right.

I'm in the hole for almost $80,000 and the aftermath of the business having to close and me moving back to California meant having to literally start all over - Was forced to throw/give away a lot of stuff just to be able to move back here and $0 left when we finally got back here.

+ Reply to Thread