+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are you comfortable with compliments?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Are you comfortable with compliments?

Do you usually thank someone for complimenting you or otherwise acknowledge it or do you tell them you are not that great? When you are complimented, do you usually feel you deserve it? If you do feel you deserve it, does that make you more comfortable or less? If you do not feel you deserve it, how does it make you react to be complimented?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default Re: Are you comfortable with compliments?

no....honestly, i don't feel comfortable with compliments.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

they make me twitchy so I usually give some snarky smart ass response.

Customer : "Do you know how beautiful you are?"
    Me: "Probably, I hear it enough."

~K

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Depends on the person who's giving it as well. If I'm more open to the person then I accept it and respond in same way

I usually don't feel I deserve compliments and because of that I really hate receiving them. I always thank people who do compliment me though and try and handle the compliment modestly.

I've never been good at receiving compliments - usually an awkward 'thank you' but I am (hopefully) far better at giving them to people.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I usually just say "aww, thanks!" and smile. But it depends on the compliment, and who is giving it. There have been a few odd compliments, where as a reaction I just kind of give a look and say an ackward "thanks".

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

sure, what kind of a dick doesn't take a compliment? like you're so good that it's not worth your time to hear about it? How rude. If I compliment someone and then they throw it back in my face, I say "OK, well then eat shit, cocksucker."

how hard is it to just say "thank you" in our society, you have to hold it against someone for trying to praise you? some people would love to have a little bit of recognition thrown their way.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

If it's something deserving then I say thanks. I get complimented on my tattoos mostly, and work ethic. But I usually try to share the compliment with someone else. For example if it's something work related and I didn't do it all myself, I drop the name of whoever worked with me to make sure they get the recognition they deserve as well. Or in the case of my tattoos I pass along the name of the artist that did it.

If I don't deserve it at all, which is sometimes the case, I tell them who they should go talk to so that the other person gets the compliment they deserve.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Don't get compliments. But when I do, no, I can't take them well.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    sure, what kind of a dick doesn't take a compliment? like you're so good that it's not worth your time to hear about it? How rude. If I compliment someone and then they throw it back in my face, I say "OK, well then eat shit, cocksucker."

how hard is it to just say "thank you" in our society, you have to hold it against someone for trying to praise you? some people would love to have a little bit of recognition thrown their way.
    oh i'll say thanks if someone likes something i do or how i look and all but most of the compliment si have gotten of my artwork have been either form friends who don't even look at it at first and give me the old "oh i like everything you do" then once they se eit go "oh fuck yeah!"
    and as far as looks it's usually hwen im in a costume or in makeup and it's usually just some lame pickup line.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory

I'm not saying I don't take them...there are just some things that seem to always catch me off-guard and being complimented is one of them. I just take it as best I can and thank the person. That's all I can do.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

that was just for people that take offense at it, or they just shrug it off like, "whatever. i know I'm awesome, you don't have to tell me."

lame pick up lines are a different subject altogether.

oh yeah i hate people liek that.

prinks.

I'm getting better with accepting compliments, but I still am visibly uncomfortable a lot of the time.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Genuine compliments leave me staring at the floor and mumbling something about "Thanks but..." Most of the compliments i get though are from customers at work and *rollseyes* boy do those get old the thirtieth time i hear them that hour.

~K

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

I get them often enough; I've learned to roll with them while maintaining a necessary degree of humility... even if I have had to fake it on occasion. On the one hand, I do have an ego. On the other hand, I've earned the damn thing! Of course, there are exceptions to the rule. K can still make me blush with words as wouldn't phase me from anyone else's lips!

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I say "thank you, that's sweet" no matter what or how sincere the compliment; its polite, and a sign of good breeding. however, the way I say it and the tone of voice I use can mean something else entirely depending on said sincerity of the compliment.

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

I can tell the difference between a genuine compliment, a snotty compliment, or a compliment that really means lets fuck.

I like being praised, i like my ego being stroked.
    Im a leo for godsakes lol.
    But not too much of course.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I don't mind compliments, it's kind of nice to know that someones aware of what you got to do to get the job done

Brigeyboo's Avatar Senior Member

I love them, they are nice but i always feel rather awkward because of them. I usually get them because of my hair (omg at least 4 times a day D and i tend to say thank you smile and stare at the floor shyly @_@ i don't do well with people sometimes xD

LaurenWK's Avatar Senior Member

Oh God, compliments make me feel SO uncomfortable! Hahaha, I get them all the time, but I STILL don't know how to take them. I kind of just mumble "thanks" and try to move along, haha. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate compliments... I just don't know how to handle them.

toxicat's Avatar catty member

No. Why else would my ass turn red?

theUnclean's Avatar former corporate whore

no idea

theDragon_svDragcos's Avatar "Vampyre" / Senior Member
    ...~"No where in paticular"~...I've never had any Regular home ~ I moved around a'Lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Do you usually thank someone for complimenting you or otherwise acknowledge it or do you tell them you are not that great? When you are complimented, do you usually feel you deserve it? If you do feel you deserve it, does that make you more comfortable or less? If you do not feel you deserve it, how does it make you react to be complimented?
    __________________________________________________ ________
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""''""""""""""""""""""""
    - Humm,..
    well I've always Instinctively been Supportively NICE to Others,
    and GIVE it When Its' Vallied to someone worthy to it,
    Many have said I Am TOO NICE and Caring,..

on the oppisite side of that though,..

~ NO I personally have never been Use to "Receaving" anything
    Nice from others,..
    (I've Never Goten Treated as Well As I would to Others, most My life)..

every far an' Afew times Someones been
    Overly Sweet n' Nice and Commentitive to me,
    But I never Know how to View it,
    I get Lost as to how to feel or React to Someone Giving me a NICE input,..
    { *NOTICE I've avoided saying that word ~ "COMPLIMENT" ).....

I was always the one whom' "society" in a whole
    Regarded as "EXPENDABLE".
    ~ evan when I was only 4, 5 an' 6 yrs old,
    My Family(*mOthEr) wanted me DEAD,
    - & TOLD Me so, To my Face .....

..the old Joke years ago in "L.A." was;.....
    { if? you're ever in trouble ~ Go Find the Dragon, He'll Know what to do)..
    so I WAS Allways Helping ~ "EVERYONE",..
    but No one cared if I was in need , so I got use to Not Being cared about,
    (*Though I Put My Neck out there to Help Total Strangers,
    in Dangerous situations More times than I can Count anymore).

- so NO, I Never got comfortable being GIVIN' a "CoMpLiMeNt"
    but I do Try to Aknowlegde it, wether I feel I am Worthy of any or not..
    but it's My Nature to be Suportive of Others'...
    (*a lot of People Never understood WHY,...
    or Why i treat others' so ~ "Christian'ly" basically]......

I never really know what to do with generic compliments, but there's a whole bunch of meaningles ritual responses available, and most people in the mood to compliment you aren't going to look at them too critically.

It's more interesting to me when people have something in-depth to say; I'd prefer to take a meaningful remark over a purely positive one. In those situations I tend to ignore the complimentary aspect of it and respond to the concrete information inherent in their statement, maybe start a conversation.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I dont really get compliments much, so I dont really know how to deal with them.

theDragon_svDragcos's Avatar "Vampyre" / Senior Member
    ...~"No where in paticular"~...I've never had any Regular home ~ I moved around a'Lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    I never really know what to do with generic compliments, but there's a whole bunch of meaningles ritual responses available, and most people in the mood to compliment you aren't going to look at them too critically.

It's more interesting to me when people have something in-depth to say; I'd prefer to take a meaningful remark over a purely positive one. In those situations I tend to ignore the complimentary aspect of it and respond to the concrete information inherent in their statement, maybe start a conversation.
    ================================================== ==

~ RAZ',..

WHY ARE ALL YOUR POINTS so EXCELLENTLY INCISIVE
    and PURELY INTELLIGENT and WELL VERSED...

I LIKE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS!!!!.

VERY GOOD POINT OF VIEW.

FedorasBox's Avatar Member

I usually say "thank you, I appreciate that" or something to that affect. I like giving hugs back. Some compliments are not really compliments and I dont know how to react to them.
    For instance. A model said this to me while I was shooting with Amelia and Forrest in January: "You are skinnier than me."
    WTF do I say to that?

I am horrible at taking compliments over the internet. I sincerely appreciate peoples' kind words, but I don't know how to remove the bitchy veil from the way I type.

+ Reply to Thread