+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If you are whining about Twilight or American Idol coverage . . .

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default If you are whining about Twilight or American Idol coverage . . .

If you are whining about Twilight or American Idol coverage, what do you feel would be more appropriately covered in these pages? Obviously, I have opinions on how Twilight and Adam Lambert are relevant to what Blue Blood has always been about, but I'm interested to hear if there are other relevant topics you all are into at the moment. Fire away.

Default Re: If you are whining about Twilight or American Idol coverage . . .

To be honest, I never read the Blue Blood in print, but I did enjoyed your articles on here now and then. Not that I read every single one of them but I do those that catches my mind. Personally, I tend to not notice those based on who did what and when. But I do notice coverage on popular media. Take Twilight for example.

And yes. I want more healthy and self sustainable society coverage
    And some exotic or extraordinary food coverage.

Now, do I ask much?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

slutty newzealanders

mythical creatures

fabulous hair styles

exotic locations

just to name a few at a glance.

isn't that a little bit unfair? so yes, maybe some of us were overly snobbish about those things, but it's not like the members on this board spend all their time disparaging pop culture and never come up with any creative suggestions.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

got no beef with it but was kinda like shocked when i saw a masters cup tournament advertisement in the diagonal column to the left while viewing the boards a few hours back.

vampires and adam lambert i can dig but golf? not something i'd imagine being blueblood relevant.
    jax with a shotgun on a poster, yes, jax with a graphite nine iron on a poster.....kinda confused.
    *please note, i did not actually see jax witha golfclub in the advert was simp[ly tyring to paint an image.

who cares as long as it's jax on a poster? it could be jax advertising for the IRS...

well, ok, that might be going too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    who cares as long as it's jax on a poster? it could be jax advertising for the IRS...

well, ok, that might be going too far.
    true. oh! you get cool points for mentioning the cryptid topic btw.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I wouldn't assume Jax can't play golf, and I bet she's look really hot doing it. The is Blue Blood after all. We don't limit ourselves to strictly underculture activities. Although do keep in mind that your favorite TV show isn't really directly responsible for every ad that plays during the breaks either.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I can see why we have topics related to "Twilight" as much as it annoys me, it's still vampires and it's current/relevant. Idol? I mean srsly? Idol? what gives? Is there a reason the coolest kids on the 'net are discussing the popularity/karaoke contest on network tv? I mean really how many of those "winners" have gone on to do anything other than One album and a single limited engagement tour before returning to fry cook land? Or are we just talking about the audition shows where we spend hours and hours making fun of people that try and fail? The whole show/concept is cruel and immature, while making false promises of fame and fortune to the poor little morons.

~K

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I could care less about what is discussed as long as there's a point to the discussion. Oh...And the "coolest kids"? Keiko, have you been on a different forum than me?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    I can see why we have topics related to "Twilight" as much as it annoys me, it's still vampires and it's current/relevant. Idol? I mean srsly? Idol? what gives? Is there a reason the coolest kids on the 'net are discussing the popularity/karaoke contest on network tv? I mean really how many of those "winners" have gone on to do anything other than One album and a single limited engagement tour before returning to fry cook land? Or are we just talking about the audition shows where we spend hours and hours making fun of people that try and fail? The whole show/concept is cruel and immature, while making false promises of fame and fortune to the poor little morons.

~K
    Some Idol winners and runners up have done spectacularly well, but I admit I had only watched one episode prior to tuning in mid-way through this season. The gent in blue here is one of the competitors most favored to win this season:

(Image Courtesy of Blue Blood)

Here is what he looks like when not blue:

Does that really seem tremendously off-topic?

Lastly, this is not directed to Keiko specifcally, but my question was not who wants to object to Twilight or Idol. I am genuinely asking what you all are interested in. Come on, people, I know Morning Glory is not the only one on here with more than an interest or two.

hey, don't put this on me. haha. my interests would probably be pretty boring to most of the members on here.

I am particularly fond of the topics of science discoveries, whacky inventions, comic books, horror/sci-fi/fantasy movies and novels...but not vampires, teenagers or Mormons.

well maybe vampires, but it depends a lot of them not being related to the later two categories.

I don't really care about American Idol one way or the other, I didn't read that article. (If you wanted to write about House I would probably read it.)

I do also like the human sociology/psych tests aka. the What would you do? threads.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Mrowr. Okay I can discuss the relative hotness of the hotties. Its the karaoke contest that gets on my nerves, and unless you follow the winners after they leave the show they never make news again because its time for the newest batch to humiliate themselves on national television. I believe that the people themselves are probably not as horrid as they appear on TV but something about how fake Idol seems detracts from whatever substance might be lurking in the contestants.

Twilight holds a special place in my "To never be acknowledged" pile. Aside from Robert Pattinson *drool* (and its a shame too cause he makes one hot bloodsucker but hotness is hardly substance) there's nothing in the series that entices me to read it. Vampire novels have become a penny dreadful genre and they're publishing anything with the bloodsuckers on the pages because it sells to the mallgoth/hottopic crowd, whom I also despise, but that's a personal thing.

I really don't care what all is discussed on the boards. Obviously everyone here wants to talk about things that interest them and while we obviously have some things in common we don't share every interest. That's the cool part about these boards. if it's a topic you want to discuss (say collectibles) go ahead and post. If it's not, say Twilight, you don't have to.

And yes these are the coolest kids on the net. We're not trolls, most of us can discuss just about any topic we choose with a coherent and intelligent manner without calling people names or resorting to trolling. Not to mention that the majority of the posters here (esp the ones i've seen pics of) are very easy on the eyes.

~K

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I wouldn't assume Jax can't play golf, and I bet she's look really hot doing it. The is Blue Blood after all. We don't limit ourselves to strictly underculture activities. Although do keep in mind that your favorite TV show isn't really directly responsible for every ad that plays during the breaks either.
    i'm not ragging it,Mr. black, just struck me as weird is all.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    i'm not ragging it,Mr. black, just struck me as weird is all.
    You know she's look hot in that golf plaid.

true.

*shrug*

I've no interest in filtering the topics covered on BB to contain only those pertaining to my personal interests. I commented on the second Adam Lampert thing because a discussion was already going on, and I felt that there were things to be said for - who was it? Dusk or something? - her perspective that weren't being said. I stand by my remarks and continue to sympathise with anyone whose interests are not roused by ongoing updates on Adam's coverography, but it's hardly like I should expect your site to be an extention of my exact interests anyway.

Twilight I've no real opinion on, either. Only thing I know about it is that every 13 year old on the neopets pet trading board is so up in arms about having pets with misspelled Twilight side character's names that 'Twilight Named' has now become a fully accepted and abbreviated addition to neoboard terminology, but eh - that leaves me the 22 year old playing flash games with american middleschoolers in a competition to dress my pet up cooler. Hardly a position from which to condemn Twilight for appealing to that very same audience.

As for topic suggestions... well, BB in my perception rather seems to lean to the glammy, dark-side-of-pop-culture end of the spectrum in its coverage. And there's a lot of cool things to see there, mind. But I'd enjoy seeing reports on alternative lifestyle, applied rebelliousness, stuff happening in local undergrounds that may function as an example of things happening everywhere. What's the latest major streetpunk-occupied squat and free culture podium being occupied or evicted over in the US? Any goth kids fighting battles with their schools for the freedom to look the way they want to? There's always preciously few people ready to look at a pubescent teen's perspective of things when they aren't already being represented by respectable adults. What's life like inside a rock-n-roll communal house? Maybe some practical stuff, like DIY guides to cheap hairdying, at-home body piercing, erotic modelling and photography for beginners? Or something psychological; aside from all the people repeating the clichés, find someone who can really explain the melancholy of goth, the androgyny of glam, the fighting spirit of punk. I liked the interview with Jax in that light, elaborating on an individual and the unusual mental qualities and experiences that set them apart.

That said, I don't really want you to slow down the reports on movies, music videos and fashion shows and the like. I like reading BB because it tells me things I don't already know.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

id like to see the occasional thread devoted to modern visual artists who use painting, sculpture, and photography. not just of a erotic variety either. my art history background draws me to those fields, however, my education never reached the present to include current, living artists. but i had a lot of friends making art, going to art school, and doing the occasional gallery showing. i'd love to see, or hear about, who is big now. vain hope that someone i once knew is now getting famous.

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

I'm actually pretty pleased that topics I normally would know jack about get covered here.

FedorasBox's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    [/URL][/B]. The gent in blue here is one of the competitors most favored to win this season:
    Here is what he looks like when not blue:

I'd put it in his butt for sure.

+ Reply to Thread