+ Reply to Thread

Thread: talkin bout my generation.......

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default talkin bout my generation.......

yaknow, i think it's just cus im so old now lol but i've started to look back at hwen i was a teenager and this thought came up in my head:

"pretty much every generation before mine had a title and after but im not quite sure what mine was titled...."

too young for generation x, too old for generation y...........mid nineties.....i think that was like x 2.0 or some shit i dunno.

anyways it got me to thinking about generations. yaknow, alot can be said for each generation really. tell tale signs of culture, taste and maneurisms/lingo. but when does a generation really truelly start and stop and the next one goes on?

I think it roughly starts the minute you hit highschool and ends a little after your college years personally so roughly around 15 till 22/24 maybe?

that's just my take on it lol.

so what were some things you remember about your generation?

I remember when i wa sin hs, marilyn manson wa spretty fucking huge and goth was making a big comeback, there was a group of larp fans who went a little too far with their vampire the masquerade troop and killed some chicks parents, we were still learning typing in class instea dof keyboarding, cellphones were considered a luxury more than a necessity so they were banned from school and i think i got kicked out of high school roughly about a week before columbine happened. and after it happened, i remember you couldnt go anywher ein a trenchcoat no matter hwat color without someone thinking you had a gun under it and talking shit to you about it.

Default Re: talkin bout my generation.......

oh yeah and the internet was very slow and boring too and nowhere near as mahor in people's lives as it is now.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I had to walk to school for 5 miles miles on my hands and all over broken glass.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Child of the nineties .. I think we were 2.0 or Generation NeXt or whatever.

Just after slap bracelets and just before tech-dex (those little finger skate boards. My brother had a bunch.) I remember it was all about pogs and jelly shoes, little back-pack purses and ice pink lip gloss. I shunned it all in favor of Docs and trench. Back in the day before the Store-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named. Before Emo. When being weird could still get you tailed at stores and sent to the principal for fashion accessories. OG's, man. Old Goths.*hips creak, back pops*

~K

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    Child of the nineties .. I think we were 2.0 or Generation NeXt or whatever.

Just after slap bracelets and just before tech-dex (those little finger skate boards. My brother had a bunch.) I remember it was all about pogs and jelly shoes, little back-pack purses and ice pink lip gloss. I shunned it all in favor of Docs and trench. Back in the day before the Store-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named. Before Emo. When being weird could still get you tailed at stores and sent to the principal for fashion accessories. OG's, man. Old Goths.*hips creak, back pops*

~K
    shit those used to be the thing too. those twenty eyelet doc martins. so awesome. remember when hard candy was making nail polish and lipstick for men and they'd have those goofy candy looking rings and shit that came with the bottle? lol

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

I was a cool 90's goth kid in a small town lol... I had to hide my manson cds from my parents cause he was the devil..haha. I wore a vinyl skirt to school and got kicked out.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Damn, I've only been out of high school for 4 years and some change now. Sadly, there is nothing special about my generation. The only difference between us and the last couple, we've got a "war" but it's not a great one that is making a difference. I watched 9/11 on tv in school, and that's about the only big thing.

It's all good, I'm low brow and low tech, so I never had the cool phone, the "cool clothes" (AE, Ambercrombi, that crap), I didn't listen to what everyone else listened to (classic rock and punk for me, wasn't as big into metal at the time). Honestly, there really is nothing special about my generation, and it'll probably only get worse in the coming generations.

I think they're calling this generation "Generation Y" and not because it comes after X. Every kid you tell to do something comes back with a "why". Question everything and do as little as possible.

1943-1960---The Baby Boom Generation
    1961-1981-----X Generation (13th Generation-It's true. We really don't have a name.)
    1982-2000----Y Generation (Millenial Generation)
    2001-2009----Ah, who cares. You shouldn't be on here, but most likely it'll be called the Z Generation or ("New Silent" Generation)

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

there wasn't any internet...............but there were bulletin boards, of course you needed an autodialer or you you'd have to spend all your time dialing and hanging up.

people feather thier hair back then..........................Venom was good, smoking was still an all ages thing and if your records skipped you just had to stack some pennys on the needle to stop it. We played a lot of space invaders and with graphics it was about sprites or player missle graphics...........a vic 20 cost hundreds of dollars................and you could still get texas white lightning and window panes

Truthfully, I remember:

As far as toys- Transformers, G.I. Joe, Chinese Yo-yo's, That fuckin' sticky little octopus that climbs down a wall.
    As far as cartoons- Scooby Doo, Justice League, and Saturday Bugs Bunny Show
    As far as Styles: Ummm....Tacky parachute pants, acid-washed jeans, alot of concert T's, Ocean Pacific clothes, Girls wearing the socks pulled up over their pants bottoms, guys wearing Hi-top sneakers with the shoelaces untied, Italian guidos wearing Capezio shoes, Levi's jeans-Never loose fitting, and Converse Sneaks, alot of black trenchcoats.
    As far as hair styles- The average girl had BIG hair. Alternative girls ALL had pretty much the hair style of Molly Ringwald in "Pretty In Pink". Almost every single guy and I mean almost every single guy, did in fact, sport some kind of mullet, unless you had long hair, or for a few punkers that kept it spiked or a real mohawk ( No faux in my generation)
    Music- You had pop- The big three were Madonna, George Michael, and Michael Jackson. New Wave-Gary Neuman, Flock of Seagulls, Wall of Voodoo. Metal- Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Early Metallica, Anthrax, and, of course, Ozzy. Alternative-The Alarm, The Cure, Siouxie and the Banshees. College- U2, Chili Peppers, and alot of bands that went nowhere. Skateboard- Agent Orange, Suicidal Tendencies(before they went metal), Meat Puppets, Bad Brains.
    As far as stores- Fuck, I don't know...Spencers? We really didn't "have" a generational store, per se.

The biggest slogan of my generation was "Just say no", yet everybody said yes.

Biggest icons....Rubik's cube, Atari 2600, the Reagan years, real skateboards, VCR's(real movies cost somewhere between $60 and $80), MTV(The term "VJ's" and Michael Jackson when he was still black), Joe Piscopo and Eddie Murphy on SNL....

Honestly....I actually think of my generation as the "commercialized" generation. Everything was boxed up, clean, and wrapped with a bow on top.

And what was expected of my generation? We were to be the first generation in eons that would be expected to do worse than our parents.

The outcome: dead-on.

Bedlamite

Once upon a time, we were all "alternative culture" people. Ahh! Back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    Once upon a time, we were all "alternative culture" people. Ahh! Back in the day.
    This is true......

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i loved that lil "wacky wall walker" octupus.

taking the name of my generation from a song, i like to think of myself as being from "the fucked up generation."

growing up with the computer being a new thing. seeing the internet grow from a neat toy into this massive thing...having to be taught in college how to do research on the web(how to know truthful sites from bogus ones, learning how to properly search for things on the web), seeing the VAX at college be replaced by something fancier. i remember when ppl would meet up, exchange just a phone number and not an email address. making mix tapes for friends. buying my first cd.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I just watched Wayne's World. For better or worse, I think that movie defines my generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I just watched Wayne's World. For better or worse, I think that movie defines my generation.
    I think mine would be "The Breakfast Club".

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    1943-1960---The Baby Boom Generation
    1961-1981-----X Generation (13th Generation-It's true. We really don't have a name.)
    1982-2000----Y Generation (Millenial Generation)
    2001-2009----Ah, who cares. You shouldn't be on here, but most likely it'll be called the Z Generation or ("New Silent" Generation)
    the thing that bothers me about this is...
    the generation y name just copycatted from generation x, making generation x even more diminished. we're a small enough generation as it is.
    i don't believe it was a full 20 years long, either...
    though people keep changing their minds about what a "generation" is.
    imo, gen x is 1965-1980, which is supported by "generation jones" being 1054-1965. (which makes sense to me. i never thought of my mom as being among the baby boomers, and always wondered what came between them and gen x.)
    how very odd it all is.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

My generation...?
    No internet, cell phones or digital cameras.
    Motley Crue turned to Nirvana. Go grunge!
    Black clothes, red hair, DM's.
    LSD
    Star Wars pinball and lots of it.
    Trading in all my tapes for CD's.
    Good times. Good times

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    I had to walk to school for 5 miles miles on my hands and all over broken glass.
    Uphill both ways right?

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    My generation...?...
    LSD
    no way, you're not that old.

Quote Originally Posted by soma_stardust
    the thing that bothers me about this is...
    the generation y name just copycatted from generation x, making generation x even more diminished. we're a small enough generation as it is.
    i don't believe it was a full 20 years long, either...
    though people keep changing their minds about what a "generation" is.
    imo, gen x is 1965-1980, which is supported by "generation jones" being 1054-1965. (which makes sense to me. i never thought of my mom as being among the baby boomers, and always wondered what came between them and gen x.)
    how very odd it all is.
    A generation usually is measured in 20 years, because on average, a parent is about 20 years older than their kids...On average. And the real name for the Y generation is the "Millenial Generation". It's just that nobody calls it that. I don't think calling it the Y generation diminishes the X generation. Both are distinguished very different from each other in their descriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    My generation...?
    No internet, cell phones or digital cameras.
    Motley Crue turned to Nirvana. Go grunge!
    Black clothes, red hair, DM's.
    LSD
    Star Wars pinball and lots of it.
    Trading in all my tapes for CD's.
    Good times. Good times
    ***LSD***

Don't forget purple mescaline.

toxicat's Avatar catty member

I remember when people said groovy without irony.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    shit those used to be the thing too. those twenty eyelet doc martins. so awesome. remember when hard candy was making nail polish and lipstick for men and they'd have those goofy candy looking rings and shit that came with the bottle? lol

*old sigh* Back when the 20 eye steel toed doc's were the best you could buy and they were worth the $$$. *snrk* the dean at my high school took away my red and black sateen cape (that I had sewn by hand) and my Metallica (they were still cool back then, before the Napster and Victoria's Secret hullabaloo) cds the same week. I think they even headlined Ozzfest that year. Hard Candy and Urban Decay. Fuck back when Urban Decay made good colours before they went all "mainstream" and started making "Champagne Blush* and still made "Smog". *hips creak and back pops* Now I just sit in my Lay-Z-Boy and talk about "When I was your age, our internet was called Prodigy and the very first email I ever got was spam." Fuck. My baby brother is DRINKING this year.

Gods I'm old.

~K

toxicat's Avatar catty member

I'm older than you and I'm not old. in agreement about the Docs and Urban Decay, though

*old sigh* Back when the 20 eye steel toed doc's were the best you could buy and they were worth the $$$. *snrk* the dean at my high school took away my red and black sateen cape (that I had sewn by hand) and my Metallica (they were still cool back then, before the Napster and Victoria's Secret hullabaloo) cds the same week. I think they even headlined Ozzfest that year. Hard Candy and Urban Decay. Fuck back when Urban Decay made good colours before they went all "mainstream" and started making "Champagne Blush* and still made "Smog". *hips creak and back pops* Now I just sit in my Lay-Z-Boy and talk about "When I was your age, our internet was called Prodigy and the very first email I ever got was spam." Fuck. My baby brother is DRINKING this year.

Gods I'm old.

~K

Here's one for the milestones: The Matrix is 10 years old today. When it came out I had every guy I knew take me to see it in theatres just so I could watch the fire billow out of the elevator on the big screen. 10 years ago. A fucking decade ago before everyone who saw one of us in a trench coat would yell "Hey Neo!" or make some other retarded matrix related comment about our vaguely industrial/cyber gear.

~K

before everyone who saw one of us in a trench coat would yell "Hey Neo!" or make some other retarded matrix related comment about our vaguely industrial/cyber gear.

~K
    yeah, but is that such a bad thing? maybe it was a needed dose of reality.

I don;t know, maybe it's just me, but I think that was a style that did not age well.

no way, you're not that old.

No, I'm not that old, but acid was really big in the early 90's and I am that old.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

by the early nineties it wasn't really acid anymore, still good though but different

Regardless, I know I'll never be able to look Kermit the Frog in the eye again.

yeah i remember acid too. is that even made anymore?

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

you're younger than I thought.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

yeah, but is that such a bad thing? maybe it was a needed dose of reality.
    good call. I could not agree more.

+ Reply to Thread