+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pet Shop Boys asked to change their name by Peta

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Pet Shop Boys asked to change their name by Peta

the way you are making it seem is that PETA's whole purpose is a sinister front to hide the fact that there real goal is to conspire to kill as many animals as possible.

That may be true. I've long had my suspicions that PETA is sponsored by the meat industry to serve as a disinformation campaign against animal rights activists. On the other hand they are probably equal parts additionally made up of ALF members who also want to perform stupid activities for the sake of discrediting PETA because they know their real agenda, and a small group of liberals that sit back and collect the donations from other gullible liberals, and just manage to balance the damage enough to keep PETA going, mostly through revenue generated by royalties.

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

ask a peta member if their child had a nasty disease (eg diabetes) would they let the child die rather than give them medicine that uses animal products or was discovered using animal testing

watch Penn&Teller's tv show Bullshit episode about PETA, very eye opening

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo

Hehehehh....funny shit. I love it.
    epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    the way you are making it seem is that PETA's whole purpose is a sinister front to hide the fact that there real goal is to conspire to kill as many animals as possible.

That may be true. I've long had my suspicions that PETA is sponsored by the meat industry to serve as a disinformation campaign against animal rights activists. On the other hand they are probably equal parts additionally made up of ALF members who also want to perform stupid activities for the sake of discrediting PETA because they know their real agenda, and a small group of liberals that sit back and collect the donations from other gullible liberals, and just manage to balance the damage enough to keep PETA going, mostly through revenue generated by royalties.
    I'm not trying to imply that at all. Personally I don't think they are evil, just a bunch of self-righteous idiots. The only PETA members I have ever meet were brain dead hippies. I assume the people higher up in the organization aren't as stupid but I have no idea why they take so little effort to actually help animals when given the chance. They seem more interested in doing outrageous things to get attention than actually doing anything good with their money. The people higher up in the organization probably are just in it for the money at this point which is sad because all the people I have talked to who volunteer and support them actually believe they help animals.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by grebo
    ask a peta member if their child had a nasty disease (eg diabetes) would they let the child die rather than give them medicine that uses animal products or was discovered using animal testing
    First of all this death-phobia of our culture is unnatural and unhealthy. Just like your body shedding off old cells to create new ones, a society-organism ebbs and flows with it's beings. You, me, we are all going to die someday, no matter what we think we are doing to avoid it, and that's not a bad thing.

Secondly most people shouldn't be having kids anyway. It's because of the effect of the people on ecology and saving people who are sick and suffering that causes people to be sick and suffering in the first place and just ensures that they will continue to do so perpetually.

So all talk about saving lives in a general sense is almost pointless as far as I'm concerned.

But you're looking at things in black and white, you have to account for what is demanded on a situational basis.

Animal rights activists are not the ones responsible for animal testing and animal by-products, after all they are the ones trying to get it shut down. So even if there was no PETA or anyone like that, those drugs would still be developed and used. So is it wrong to use them if you are opposed to the process that made them? that depends on how you look at it, or more precisely where your values lie.

I'd kill an animal to save my own life or someone that I loved without thinking twice. I'd kill you too, because I like them more- but I'd kill someone else that I didn't know to save you, because I like you more than them.

I wouldn't kill thousands of animals to save one hypothetical humans life.

Someone that I loved had diabetes and she had to take medication to live that was developed at the expense of animals life. Is that right? No, but I would rather her not die. If I could trade her life to end animal-testing, I would say it was a fair trade, but of course that would not happen and it's not in my hands to do such a thing.

My goal is not to stop death and suffering, as I said, that would be stupid and impossible. But I do believe that I should do what is in my sphere of responsibility, in other words what is in my power to do, to reduce it when possible and certainly not to perpetrate it for no good reason.

The problem with PETA is that they have spent a lot of their good will.

In and of itself, sending the letter was a clever idea. They did not actually expect the band to change their name, but it got them some good press for cheap.

But, PETA has engaged in so much Jackassery that people look at everything they do as jackassery. Not everyone sees it that way, but a lot of people assume that they are dead serious about the name change instead of enjoying a quick laugh, seeing the point behind it and acting or not.

Too many of PETAs adds are preaching to the choir instead of trying to convince non-PETAns. Because of that, a lot of non-PETAns dislike any message PETA sends, even when they would normally agree with it.

At least that's my take.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

there's nothing wrong with the name pet shop boys

not like puppy mill bastards or something

Nos's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo

Hehehehh....funny shit. I love it.
    Oh that makes me happy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    there's nothing wrong with the name pet shop boys

not like puppy mill bastards or something
    Great, now i need to start a band just to use that name.

Thanks alot

+ Reply to Thread