+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you go to Museums?

Default Do you go to Museums?

I just went to see the Terra Cotta Army here in ATL since the last day to see them in this Sunday. It was pretty freaking amazing to see such history right there in front of you.

For those unfamiliar with the Terra Cotta Army, there were approx. 8000 made to help the self proclaimed First Emperor, Qin, rule an empire in the afterlife in 210 B.C. .

A farmer who was digging a well in 1974 uncovered a head of a statue, not knowing what it was, and archeologists later discovered various pits with all the statues and artifacts.

They also have decided not to dig up the actual tomb the emperor is in, deciding to wait for better technology to try and "uncover" it without actually having to disturb the actual tomb, so that to this day remains undiscovered on what else is in there.

Sadly, I could not take photos at that particular exhibit, but here is one of the tomb site in China, to show the vast amount of how many was made for this emperor.

It is a really neat exhibit, and I'm not sure where it will be going next, so if you have the chance to see it, go!

Next up at the museum will be a Leonardo da Vinci exhibit, featuring hand drawn works and sculptures.

So what's the last museum you've been to?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default Re: Do you go to Museums?

oh fuck yeah. i saw those when they wer ein memphis. that whole exhibit is badass.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Museums are awesome but I haven't been in a long time.
    We'll be spending lots of time in Toronto this summer and will hopefully hit up the ROM while we're there.
    I just saw a commercial for that Terra Cotta Army. I think it's coming to Toronto soon. It looks wicked.
    Also, the Bata Shoe Museum rocks! It's all SHOES!!!!!

Wow...that's a moving exhibit? Seems like a whole lot of clay dudes to have to pack up and ship somewhere.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I haven't been to one in a few years, but I'd go check out whatever new exhibit was at the Field Museum in Chicago before I was in the army. I still tend to check out the art museum and Shed Aquarium whenever I'm home.

Quote Originally Posted by LeilaHazlett
    Wow...that's a moving exhibit? Seems like a whole lot of clay dudes to have to pack up and ship somewhere.
    They don't ship the whole army..no room! It was about 10 soldiers/generals, a horse, various artifacts like currency and weapons and what not.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I went all the time in l.a. there's a few here in town, but I haven't gone to any of them yet. I think my favorite is either la brea0tar pits, or the other one in l.a. that has exhibits all the time that I don't remember the name of. there's a lot of great museums in l.a.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

oh. was just thinking of it.

another good exhibit to check out is the civil rights museum in memphis.

they actually turned the loraine motel where doctor king wa sshot and turne dit into a museum it's pretty informative to how the south was especially back during the civil right movement and before hand

and they even replicated the room doctor king stayed in to how it looked the day he was killed so you could see it through his eyes. the spot he was shot at is even marked wiht a red dot on the balcony.

its pretty moving.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I was sick as shit when I went to the Smithsonian and I was SOOOO pissed because I waited my whole life to go there. What I saw was really cool, but in all honesty, I wanted to be snuggly in bed with a cup of tea.
    Growing up in New York, I went to the Museum of Natural History every so often and that was always cool. Especially the big blue whale hanging from the rafters.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I went all the time in l.a. there's a few here in town, but I haven't gone to any of them yet. I think my favorite is either la brea0tar pits, or the other one in l.a. that has exhibits all the time that I don't remember the name of. there's a lot of great museums in l.a.
    The only one I went to in L.A. was the Museum of Death.

Bedlamite

:/ I wish Atl wasn't so far away suddenly!

But no. Out here in the sticks there isn't but one Museum, occasional an exhibit comes through Western, but I'm out of the loop so I don't know about it anymore. I do go to alot of historical places out in the national part that are preserved, and find little antique bits on display at any given road-side stand. I miss museums sometimes! But I just have to look a bit harder to find treasure here.

+ Reply to Thread