+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Robbed

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: Robbed

Hearing about the general finances of the BB owners, no wonder they turn in $200 in cash. Shit, if I could write a check for a house and have it not bounce....

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    Hearing about the general finances of the BB owners, no wonder they turn in $200 in cash. Shit, if I could write a check for a house and have it not bounce....

My parents never taught me to be embarrassed to talk about sex, but they brought me up that it is vulgar to talk about money. I was taught that it is vulgar to complain about one's own money in any detail and the height of rude to count someone else's money.

You almost never know all the details of someone else's situation and, even if you had a copy of their books and saw how they lived every single day, you still could not judge because different people value different things.

It is easy to be angry because the next guy chose to spend what they have on something you deny yourself, but it is wrong. Unless you are footing the bill for it, it is beyond obnoxious to be mad at someone else because they chose to spend what they had on real estate or travel or children or their looks or good food or medical care or any of the other things people feel entitled to, but which are actually choices and luxuries.

One person might buy art supplies or beauty supplies before they buy food and medical care. Another person might make sure everything solid is taken care of before they buy drink #1 in a nightclub or a Valentines Day card for their lover. Another person might have huge medical expenses or relatives who can't take care of themselves. Another person might pay for furniture before a haircut. Another person might feel it was vital to have 20 days off a month. So, whether or not someone feels they can afford a particular item is a very personal thing and not indicative at all of how you personally would feel about having their net worth.

So, no offense, but, given how I was raised, it sounds like you just said about the rudest thing it is possible to say. But, let's see if we have some common ground here:

(1) Do you think it is okay to steal $200 from someone else, when you have no idea of their personal situation?

(2) How do you know who owns Blue Blood?

(3) Can you please provide a link to say my personal real estate portfolio?

If you feel like just apologizing for making such an insanely rude comment, that's cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    No, I can't be a woman, I'm way too organized and I haven't thrown all my shit into a trendy, overpriced sack.

Actually, the only time I ever got my pocket picked was in Philly. I was walking on South Street with a group of friends. And someone lifted my credit card out of my wallet and successfully charged designer sunglasses and two tickets to Miami on it. They were never caught. Fortunately, the pants I was wearing were really super tight and had a lot of pockets, so I had my cash in a different pocket or that trip would have really sucked.

Today, I always carry a purse because I used to just need cash and ID and maybe a credit card or a couple tampons. Maybe my car key, but the various group houses I lived in for years always left the doors unlocked. Now I usually need to have cash, ID, credit card, tampons, multiple keys, cell phone, snapshot camera, pen, business cards, receipts from recent transactions and similar paperwork, and, if I get buckwild, eyeliner and chapstick type thang. Maybe some Advil or something 'cause other humans sometimes give me a headache. I'd need a safari jacket to carry all that in anything other than a purse.

Actually, my reply to all this could have been much shorter:

WTF is wrong with people that anyone thinks it would be appropriate to steal Keiko's purse?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Actually, my feeling is kind of the opposite. I grew up pretty poor. State aid, school lunches for disadvantaged kids, food stamps, etc. I got a job as soon as I legally could, well actually I had a few before then too. Hell, I forged a Social Security card so I could work earlier. I left home and rented a room from an Aunt when I was 14. My grandparents promised to pay for any college I could get into, so long as my mom was co-operative in divorcing my dad, but then when it came time to come through they reneged, leaving me pretty much high and dry. Fortunately, I worked three jobs while I was in High School so I could do my best to cover it myself, and what I couldn't cover, my employer did because they valued me as a worker. That teenage period was the period in which I turned in the cash I found as stated above. I knew that money could really be important to somebody. It wasn't mine. The right thing is simply the right thing, unclouded by my personal situation.

When I was nine or ten and still living with my mom, it was always a struggle, and I remember one time we went to the department store to pick up some school clothes for me and some work clothes for her. She was trying something on and left her purse under the stool I was sitting on, but then she called me over to let her know what I thought of the blouse she was looking at. Someone grabbed the purse and made off with all the cash we had to pay rent. I remember her crying on the arm of the security guy explaining just how much trouble she was in now that we couldn't pay rent. People overhearing it actually thought she had gotten caught, since she was so upset. It was EVERYTHING we had. I NEVER wanted to be that person. The one that would fuck someone over like that. I would never keep someone's cash or purse or whatever, not because I can afford to give it back, but because I've been in a position where I couldn't afford to lose it.

My personal finances have had their ups and downs, but that doesn't change my morality one bit. What I choose to do with a found purse has nothing to do with my job and/or the worth of whatever company I work for either.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    My parents never taught me to be embarrassed to talk about sex, but they brought me up that it is vulgar to talk about money. I was taught that it is vulgar to complain about one's own money in any detail and the height of rude to count someone else's money.
    I wasn't the one who once wrote "I could write a cheque and buy a house in some of these markets". *shrugs* I was of the opinion that once something was spoken of in a given forum it could be repeated there or commented on.

I'm not complaining or angry. I was just saying that though commendable in any circumstance, it's easier to turn in $200 if one can theoretically write a cheque and buy a house.

I don't know anything about your finances nor do I want to know, it's none of my business.

If it offends you that others know how much you have, don't post it on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Actually, my feeling is kind of the opposite. I grew up pretty poor. State aid, school lunches for disadvantaged kids, food stamps, etc. I got a job as soon as I legally could, well actually I had a few before then too.
    Commendable in any circumstances, though I wasn't prying.

That's actually closer to what I was thinking - but it would have been rude of me to surmise. It's only the people who've truly felt what it's like to have NOTHING who will return a wallet, cause they know what it's like to lose that sort of thing.

For the record I never said anything about stealing money - I said it would be easier to return money that had been found. It's not okay to steal, EXTREMELY commendable to return found money, etc.

For the record I never said anything about stealing money - I said it would be easier to return money that had been found. It's not okay to steal, EXTREMELY commendable to return found money, etc.
    If you find money in a purse with any sort of identification, and you keep the money, it's stealing. Period.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by Aza
    These are the two most pertinent - and most truthful - thoughts yet offered on this topic. Thank you each respectively!
    Just because you agree with them doesn't make them any more truthfull than Raza's robin-hooding or Rock's purses for dummies.

In fact the posts that people (such as I) made about personal anecdotes would be the most truthful because they are things that actually happened, instead of just philosophical musings.

I wasn't the one who once wrote "I could write a cheque and buy a house in some of these markets". *shrugs* I was of the opinion that once something was spoken of in a given forum it could be repeated there or commented on.

I'm not complaining or angry. I was just saying that though commendable in any circumstance, it's easier to turn in $200 if one can theoretically write a cheque and buy a house.

I don't know anything about your finances nor do I want to know, it's none of my business.

If it offends you that others know how much you have, don't post it on a forum.

Uhm, I've also posted that I can't buy a house where I live, so how do you figure that because I could buy a house in some place like Biloxi (where I could not live), then someone else who works for Blue Blood could effortlessly afford to take time out of his life to make sure someone else gets their stuff back?

You have also posted about many luxuries you actually have on this board and you don't see me counting your money or counting the money of people you know and telling you what you can and can't afford, do you?

If you find money in a purse with any sort of identification, and you keep the money, it's stealing. Period.

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    Just because you agree with them doesn't make them any more truthfull than Raza's robin-hooding or Rock's purses for dummies.

In fact the posts that people (such as I) made about personal anecdotes would be the most truthful because they are things that actually happened, instead of just philosophical musings.

This is a truthful statement.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

sorry to hear that keiko

A. Property is theft

B. Property is liberty

C. Property is imaginary

C, B, A?

Imaginary liberty theft?

Uhm, I've also posted that I can't buy a house where I live, so how do you figure that because I could buy a house in some place like Biloxi (where I could not live), then someone else who works for Blue Blood could effortlessly afford to take time out of his life to make sure someone else gets their stuff back?
    Well, since you're literally ASKING:

What was realistically meant as a quiet musing based on a repeated offhand comment was not meant as any kind of flensing of your personal finances.

You have also posted about many luxuries you actually have on this board and you don't see me counting your money
    That comment came pretty close, but it's fair comment considering I have indeed posted about it. Your surmising about any "personal luxuries" I have makes certain suppositions, none of which I particularly mind. I'll just answer that with: bought at a better time, ludicrously being almost given away during a near depression economically, or part bartered/mostly "underwater" traded with a small amount of cash to sweeten the deal.

When you mentioned that you could have bought a house in certain markets, it actually did nothing other than make me really happy. I didn't know or care how much that was, whether we were talking about a Detroit market ($1-1000), a Biloxi or Buffalo market ($10-$12K, as a SWAG), or what. What it meant to me was that two people (or more, but only two I know of) came from communal living (mentioned in this forum) and modest circumstances (also mentioned in this forum) to apparently being able to write a cheque for a house. That's laudable. The only thing that was relevant about what I quoted is, you're clearly not living hand to mouth, to what degree is irrelevant, unspoken about, and none of my business.

It's reasonable to suggest that if one has even $1000 in the bank, returning $200, while ALWAYS the right thing to do, and something I'm DECIDEDLY sure either of you would do WITHOUT HESITATION, is easier to do. Not more right or more wrong.

Nor is that telling you what you can afford, can't afford, or shouldn't afford. It's a comment on human nature. If I was to find $40-200, I'd give it back - but should I find $1000 or $10000 I'd still give it back, but it would be a lot harder. That's human nature, not vulgarly talking about your money situation or mine. Simon Cowell returned $20.... well, it's the right thing to do, but it's less of a statement about his character than if someone homeless and broke did it. I don't doubt for a second either of you would return $5,000,000 - but that gesture would speak more than returning $200, is all I meant even though the morality is the same.

If talking about money is the most vulgar thing one can do, I'm surprised you didn't have a problem with Keiko enumerating down to the denominations of the bills she lost "everything she had".

You and I were raised in a similar way, and I would never ask you how much you make, or make unsolicited assumptions about your finances. That is gauche and vulgar. I don't think either of us owe the other any kind of apology, but I will agree, it got close.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Actually, the only time I ever got my pocket picked was in Philly. I was walking on South Street with a group of friends. And someone lifted my credit card out of my wallet and successfully charged designer sunglasses and two tickets to Miami on it. They were never caught. Fortunately, the pants I was wearing were really super tight and had a lot of pockets, so I had my cash in a different pocket or that trip would have really sucked.

Today, I always carry a purse because I used to just need cash and ID and maybe a credit card or a couple tampons. Maybe my car key, but the various group houses I lived in for years always left the doors unlocked. Now I usually need to have cash, ID, credit card, tampons, multiple keys, cell phone, snapshot camera, pen, business cards, receipts from recent transactions and similar paperwork, and, if I get buckwild, eyeliner and chapstick type thang. Maybe some Advil or something 'cause other humans sometimes give me a headache. I'd need a safari jacket to carry all that in anything other than a purse.
    Yeah, sorry about that. But if it makes you feel better, Miami was a total blast. And it was nothing personal, pickpocketing is just the only way I can talk to my favorite internet celebrities. I once car-jacked the Numa-Numa kid.

Well, since you're literally ASKING:

What was realistically meant as a quiet musing based on a repeated offhand comment was not meant as any kind of flensing of your personal finances.

That comment came pretty close, but it's fair comment considering I have indeed posted about it. Your surmising about any "personal luxuries" I have makes certain suppositions, none of which I particularly mind. I'll just answer that with: bought at a better time, ludicrously being almost given away during a near depression economically, or part bartered/mostly "underwater" traded with a small amount of cash to sweeten the deal.

When you mentioned that you could have bought a house in certain markets, it actually did nothing other than make me really happy. I didn't know or care how much that was, whether we were talking about a Detroit market ($1-1000), a Biloxi or Buffalo market ($10-$12K, as a SWAG), or what. What it meant to me was that two people (or more, but only two I know of) came from communal living (mentioned in this forum) and modest circumstances (also mentioned in this forum) to apparently being able to write a cheque for a house. That's laudable. The only thing that was relevant about what I quoted is, you're clearly not living hand to mouth, to what degree is irrelevant, unspoken about, and none of my business.

It's reasonable to suggest that if one has even $1000 in the bank, returning $200, while ALWAYS the right thing to do, and something I'm DECIDEDLY sure either of you would do WITHOUT HESITATION, is easier to do. Not more right or more wrong.

Nor is that telling you what you can afford, can't afford, or shouldn't afford. It's a comment on human nature. If I was to find $40-200, I'd give it back - but should I find $1000 or $10000 I'd still give it back, but it would be a lot harder. That's human nature, not vulgarly talking about your money situation or mine. Simon Cowell returned $20.... well, it's the right thing to do, but it's less of a statement about his character than if someone homeless and broke did it. I don't doubt for a second either of you would return $5,000,000 - but that gesture would speak more than returning $200, is all I meant even though the morality is the same.

If talking about money is the most vulgar thing one can do, I'm surprised you didn't have a problem with Keiko enumerating down to the denominations of the bills she lost "everything she had".

You and I were raised in a similar way, and I would never ask you how much you make, or make unsolicited assumptions about your finances. That is gauche and vulgar. I don't think either of us owe the other any kind of apology, but I will agree, it got close.
    Dear lord, you're a douche.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

wow. i never thought that telling people about my horrid experiences would turn into such a bitter angry fight. I apologise. From now on i'll keep it to myself when it's about money.

~K

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

So... those statements I quoted are NOT truth? *blink blink*

Meaning... theft IS the proper punishment for forgetfulness?

Meaning... anyone else on here would berate and make fun of their OWN girlfriend if she were crying because every dime you watched her bust her ass and take extra shifts just to earn was suddenly and wrongfully taken from her?

Wow... no wonder some of you are single!

Sorry, but for the sakes of your own individual relationships (or lack thereof), these statements should hold far more truth than either purses-for-dummies or someone's refusal to admit that there is no definition of "theft" that doesn't serve my point in this case. (As many of you have said, theft is theft.) In fact, those of you claiming that you'd have no more sympathy for your own significant other than you do for K. have basically just revealed that you have a personality that would experience no guilt whatsoever even if you stole from them yourself! I wonder how they'd feel to learn such a thing about you? I do hope they realize who or what you really are before it's too late, and save themselves a load of grief and cash.

I'm going to try once more to drop this horrible thread from my memory, while I reap the benefits of having my girlfriend's complete love and trust. To those of you who continue to present a deliberate disregard for anyone's feelings but your own... best of luck to you! You're going to need it.

... anyone else on here would berate and make fun of their OWN girlfriend if she were crying because every dime you watched her bust her ass and take extra shifts just to earn was suddenly and wrongfully taken from her?
    I don't think it's fair to lump everybody together, but yeah, I must say that I found some of the posts disappointing as well. I feel like morality summer school might be order for some folks. On the other hand, I think crankies are just in the air or something, people are getting huffy about subjects upon which they actually intrinsically agree, while others think they are agreeing but don't see that what they are saying is still way off base. So, I just don't know what to think about some of this.

Yeah, sorry about that. But if it makes you feel better, Miami was a total blast. And it was nothing personal, pickpocketing is just the only way I can talk to my favorite internet celebrities. I once car-jacked the Numa-Numa kid.

Hey, malls have a Lost and Found for a reason -- most people would turn in a purse somebody left on a chair.

Carjacking the Numa-Numa kid is totally different and completely okay though. And I'm glad you enjoyed Miami 'cause the credit card company ended up eating the charges and better you enjoy it than them.

Dear lord, you're a douche.
    Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    wow. i never thought that telling people about my horrid experiences would turn into such a bitter angry fight. I apologise. From now on i'll keep it to myself when it's about money.

~K

Keiko, you deserve sympathy for having such a sucky thing happen and you certainly do not owe anyone an apology.

As my friend writer Maria Alexander has been pointing out all week, Mercury is in retrograde and communication is all haywire. Due to miscommunication, all of Twitter thought Prop 8 had been overturned this morning, so this is actually comparatively smooth.

So... those statements I quoted are NOT truth? *blink blink*

Wow... no wonder some of you are single!
    I'm going to try once more to drop this horrible thread from my memory, while I reap the benefits of having my girlfriend's complete love and trust. To those of you who continue to present a deliberate disregard for anyone's feelings but your own... best of luck to you! You're going to need it.
    I didn't say they weren't true, I said that they weren't any truer than anyone else's opinions, just because you disagree with them.

I wasn't aware that whenever someone makes a thread we are supposed to go along with everything that they say and may not disagree or post our own perspectives on the subject...

and apparently when that doesn't happen a member will go huffing off in disgust. That seems to be the en vogue thing lately.

There was maybe one or two posts that could have been construed as personally insulting to the OP, and the majority of them did nothing but offer her sympathy. So just who are these people that "continue to offer a deliberate disregard to other peoples feelings"?

For the record I didn't nor do I condone such behavior of stealing peoples property, but neither do I for the arrogant and presumptious POV that I felt you expressed in that post.

I don't think it's fair to lump everybody together, but yeah, I must say that I found some of the posts disappointing as well. I feel like morality summer school might be order for some folks. On the other hand, I think crankies are just in the air or something, people are getting huffy about subjects upon which they actually intrinsically agree, while others think they are agreeing but don't see that what they are saying is still way off base. So, I just don't know what to think about some of this.
    As the great sage Rockwulf has spoken - I'm just a douche.
    With sand in my vagina.

*shrugs*

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

I get out... and they just keep pulling me right back in...

Dude, I'm not yelling at you. You're guilty of nothing more than tooting your own horn, and I do that often enough that I can't come down on anyone else for it.

But on to the new points:

I didn't say they weren't true, I said that they weren't any truer than anyone else's opinions, just because you disagree with them.
    No... again, what you pretty much said was, "They're not truer than what I said," which on top of being somewhat pompous at a time when it wasn't really needed (I'm the first to admit there are times for pompous), was also seemingly in contradiction to a post I'd made in defense of K. She posted this thread in order to vent about something horrible that happened to her, and secondarily I suppose for the purpose of finding out just how many conscienceless thieves we have in our midst, which I didn't really think was all that great an idea because I didn't want the answer to that question. As I've been in "Defend K. Against Victimizers" mode since I posted on this topic (hardly surprising given what had just happened to us), I've spent my time on this thread attacking the conscienceless thieves who have so far revealed themselves. If you nearly got caught in the crossfire, it was likely only because I mistook your post to be an attack on MY attack on THEIR attack. Again, you'd have been in the same head space had the woman you loved more than life itself just endured what I had to watch K. go through.

I wasn't aware that whenever someone makes a thread we are supposed to go along with everything that they say and may not disagree or post our own perspectives on the subject...
    I'm not denying anyone access to their own opinion, but where is the common fucking sense on these boards? Where are the people with not only the intelligence to present a contradictory opinion in a coherently explanatory (rather than directly insulting) manner, but also the wisdom to show a little tact or timing? My attacks are all on the people who knew how horrible a day K. was having and still felt it necessary to insult her as they expressed their contradictory opinions. I also just plain don't like thieves! Anyone can still feel free to post that they are one... but when they do so, they'd better acknowledge my right to express my own perfectly valid opinion.

and apparently when that doesn't happen a member will go huffing off in disgust. That seems to be the en vogue thing lately.
    Again, get a girlfriend and watch her cry after being robbed, and THEN try to listen to a couple of assholes tell her not only that she deserved it, but that they would have robbed her themselves if given the opportunity. If you're not AT LEAST as disgusted as I was, I'll cook and serve my own liver for your dining pleasure and let you eat it while I'm still alive to watch. Or I'll just buy you a car or something.

There was maybe one or two posts that could have been construed as personally insulting to the OP, and the majority of them did nothing but offer her sympathy. So just who are these people that "continue to offer a deliberate disregard to other peoples feelings"?
    If you've read the "one or two" (or more by my count) posts that were personally insulting, then you don't need to ask that question.

For the record I didn't nor do I condone such behavior of stealing peoples property.
    Then you're not the target of my anger! You simply chose to contradict me while I was already rightfully angry, and so momentarily and unintentionally grouped yourself in with those who were.

Ok, Aza, that makes it a little bit more clear where you are coming from.

I suppose that I am also guilty of reducing this thread to the abstracts and forgetting that no matter what your personal viewpoint is, it's not just a mental excersize, but a member's feelings on the line and that is something that should be taken into consideration.

Unless you're Rockwulf. Then it's "fuck you for being a loser..." because you're either a woman, a ladyboy or a faggot nancy boy.

Because after all, god damn it, he's so FUNNY.

But don't. Mention. Money.

As the great sage Rockwulf has spoken - I'm just a douche.
    With sand in my vagina.

*shrugs*
    If he imagines you that way I can only guess how he imagines me.

I'm fine with everything gay, until the guy starts talking about his private time and how he thought of you at the moment there..... that's the limit for me.

Thank you Morning Glory.

~K

Good point: I am not worthy to be in the same thread as you. I'll have to leave.

But in passing - you know, in fact, that bit of repartee was so devastating, and you are so goddamn manly, there's much of me that wants to run to Thailand, get a sex change, and come back a woman so I could have the HONOUR of being fucked by you - the only problem with that plan is the fact that I'd probably be torn in half by your MIGHTY, SIX FOOT LONG THROBBING DEMON PENIS.

Keiko, I'm sorry for your loss.

Good point: I am not worthy to be in the same thread as you. I'll have to leave.

But in passing - you know, in fact, that bit of repartee was so devastating, and you are so goddamn manly, there's much of me that wants to run to Thailand, get a sex change, and come back a woman so I could have the HONOUR of being fucked by you - the only problem with that plan is the fact that I'd probably be torn in half by your MIGHTY, SIX FOOT LONG THROBBING DEMON PENIS.

If you two don't knock it off, I'm seriously going to stop the car and you can walk home by yourselves.

srsly if they don't kiss and make up, i'm getting them a room.

~K

If you two don't knock it off, I'm seriously going to stop the car and you can walk home by yourselves.
    Best way to solve a conflict is trough escalation. Even if it isn't nice.

EDITED: BIKERPUNK-BAITING PIC TOO BIG

I just realized that if you have sand in your vagina then you probably should use a douche. I mean, literally.

But then you need a douchebag to carry it.

+ Reply to Thread