+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Banning & What You Can Handle

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Banning & What You Can Handle

I've noticed a bit of odd and uncharacteristic negativity on these boards recently. I guess just a couple of ill-intentioned bad apples can really drag everyone down, but I'd like things to go back to their normal enjoyable pace.

In addition to what I've seen on the forums, I've been informed that a couple of people have been trying to be a nuisance by whining about how Blue Blood is sooooooooo draconian and bans people blah blah blah. I do not know what their agenda is or what they think they have to gain, but this is patently false.

There has only been one occasion ever when people were banned on BlueBlood.net. One person I knew IRL was banned for real life stuff, not for anything to do with forums, along with her boyfriend for good measure (who, except for making a profile, I don't think had posted much or maybe at all anyway.) This happened many years ago.

If you are an intelligent person who enjoys good conversation, you are welcome and we are all happy that you are here. Most people here are intelligent and can handle it when not everyone agrees with them. We've had some knockdown dragouts here in the past on issues which really matter without people getting all butthurt. Recently, there have been a few forum members who seem to think any disagreement is a plot against them personally. If you can't debate an issue without resorting to name-calling and you think all disagreement is a personal attack, then there are lots of other places on the internet you would be much happier. Not gonna ban you, but there are plenty of places to get in flame war bitchfests and Blue Blood is intended to be an oasis of reason away from all that unpleasant nonsense.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Banning & What You Can Handle

"oasis of reason"..............I like that

Huh?

Anyway, you've got more rules than I like, but that's pretty much implicit when you have any rules at all. I cannot imagine anybody calling these forums draconian qua moderation though; at least not in comparison to any actual communities that exist today.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I'd like things to go back to their normal enjoyable pace.
    Yes please!

Ingridsca1's Avatar Member

Heh heh, I was thinking of the city "Banning." What a heat stroke-inducing hell hole, kinda like the town I live in.

How dare you question my right to get personally offended over internet conversations!

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I've been on non-moderated forums before, and it still works out fine. If someone is being an asshole, or being a baby, people call them out on it. It becomes a place where they are no longer welcome. Like if *everyone* thought Rockwulf was an asshole, or *everyone* did not like Bikerpunk, then we would all bash them and make them feel unwelcome. The bottom line is that if you can't handle an argument, or can't handle criticism, you can't rely on some teacher, or moderator, or cop, to make that other person be nice. Not everyone is nice, and gentle, and pleasant. So get over it. I thought the Keiko thread was a good example of that. Other people got butthurt over it, but it seemed like Keiko and others were willing to debate the situation, and take on anyone who said theft was justified. Sure, some people got angry, got upset, but for the most part, people stood their ground. They didn't run away and leave the message board because they got upset by ONE person's opinion. They know it's one person out of many. And even if one person totally rips you a new one, you need to realize there are probably 10 people who agree with you, and think that person's being an asshole.

and the porridge was just

i like happy arguments. i dont like pardon my french.

i just dont take anything personally

Back to the good times! BB Draconian? Really? Seems a pretty absurd statement to me.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

For some reason I thought of the old nickelodeon show "What Would You Do?" I remember the opening theme, but I have no idea what the show was actually about.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    I've been on non-moderated forums before, and it still works out fine.
    Yeah, second that. It's a forum; the worst people can do is talk at eachother. There's no such thing as real social problems here, just the odd bit of drama when somebody decides to fill that gap by objecting vehemently to something silly and inconsequential, for the sake of contrast if nothing else.

I think there are a couple MAJOR cunts on this board. I wish they were gone, but whatever. I can only deal with reading their bullshit in short doses. That's why I seldom post anymore. No one is forcing anybody to be here. If your not happy, then leave. There are some really cool and nice people on this forum that I really like, but my asshole tolerance is pretty low.

I think leaving a good-bye note is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    I think there are a couple MAJOR cunts on this board. I wish they were gone, but whatever. I can only deal with reading their bullshit in short doses. That's why I seldom post anymore. No one is forcing anybody to be here. If your not happy, then leave. There are some really cool and nice people on this forum that I really like, but my asshole tolerance is pretty low.

Totally. Sometimes I'll find a nightclub less entertaining than usual, so I might take a break from going. But I wouldn't make a special trip to announce my hiatus.

By the way, in your control panel with PMs you can use the ignore interface to add the nick of someone whose posts you'd rather not read.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Dunno what happened on this board. I'll shoot you a line though. We're leaving tuesday. Will try to have a few pints sunday maybe.

OEC

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

The drama for me is entertaining. But when it drags on and on, I think they're should just be a point when one side just lets it go and moves on. I've had disputes on here with others, but after a certain point, I just say "fuck it" and move on. I just stop responding because I realize they don't get me and I don't get them. No use in in wasting brain energy in dragging out a discussion where there really is no winner in the end. Some people are susceptible to change when it comes to new ideas and theories. Most people though are pretty set in their ways, and no matter how much "discussion" there is, it's not going to change either person's perceptions on the topic at hand. Usually changing a person's mind is harder than rebuilding an engine from scratch.

Oh...And one other thing. Everybody on this board all seem intelligent and from what I've seen in life, the most intelligent people are usually the most stubborn when it comes to giving in to new ideas that collapse an idea they once truly believed in. Mostly because I think the more intelligent you are, the more you don't just instantly come to a conclusion on a topic. You've really thought it over and come up with some very good observations that have brought you to that conclusion of thinking. Once that happens, it almost becomes embarrassing to really open up your mind and admit you were wrong about your conclusion. In doing so, I think subconsciously, you feel not as smart as you thought you were....And no intelligent person likes to own up to that.

I think there are a couple MAJOR cunts on this board.
    Hi toe cutter!

That's a pretty astute observation there Ajax.

Quote Originally Posted by allah
    Not meaning to stir shit or anything but I’d like to know on what basis you claim to never have banned anyone. I’ve been banned upwards of 10 times from this site and at one stage all 200+ computers in my college campus were banned (IPs). From what I can gather only around half of those bannings were on the basis of having multiple accounts. I’m certain several other people have been banned also. I’m not arguing whether you’re right or wrong in doing so, as far as I’m concerned its your website and your rules, but I will question your assertion out of curiosity.

Nevertheless, I’d hardly describe this forum as draconian and for the record I’ve never complained.

Honestly, I don't know a delicate way of saying this, so I'm just going to have to call BS on that. If you say you have been banned 10+ times, there is a 99% probability that is a straight up lie. There is a 1% chance I suppose that we disagree on semantics. Regardless, Blue Blood does not ban real people.

If you were disease boy, you were told to pick one account. Most boards would have banned someone for that, but we just asked you to settle on one account and not use multiple logins for the sole purpose of being annoying. Being told to trim your accounts down to a total of one is not being banned. Nobody wants to read someone talking to themselves, and one login should be quite sufficient to express yourself, so one person = one account.

If we get something problematic like a hacking attempt from a particular IP, then all computers on that IP may not have access. Blocking an IP is not banning a person.

Seriously, I'd ask you to name all the nicks you have used where you posted as a person and got banned and then had to set up a new profile only to be banned again . . . only I know there is no possibility of you being able to do so. Because it did not happen.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

i was abouta say i have never ehar dof anyone being banne don here to be honest. i don't do forums so much as i used to -which is why im not on here regularly like i used to be- but I've been on a few that are just crazy with the banning, some even going as far as to power trip on it and kick ya off just for arguing with them.

why did you have five different accounts Allah? man, you are a douche, and you still didn't get banned permanently from the site. That says a lot about how relaxed this board is.

why did you have five different accounts Allah? man, you are a douche, and you still didn't get banned permanently from the site. That says a lot about how relaxed this board is.
    When you get kicked off of sites a few times - which can and does happen for any number of perfectly ridiculous reasons - you start to take precautions. Accounts that are registered right after somebody gets banned set of all sorts of alarms with your typical overzealous authority-high forum admin, so if for whatever reason you particularly care for your ability to post on one specific forum while remaining unfettered by rules and other such silliness, registering a side with a unique name every so often even before you first get kicked off can really smoothen things up.

Me, I'm far too vain to dillute my identity these days. You kick me out, it's your loss. But pride's one sin Allah doesn't seem to share with me.

yup, it's called being a troll. I mean i guess it's cool to be an obnoxious loser that no one likes trying to keep sneaking back onto a site just to flame people and post spam... but I just don't have that kind of drive and dedication.

'Troll' is just what people call people that upset them by saying stuff on the internets, in order to dissociate themselves by categorisation. It's far easier to believe that people say those things for the sole reason of being dislikable; it absolves one from the need to listen, even excuses silencing them altogether - everything to avoid asking oneself how pure information could be hurting you in the first place.

Meaningless black sheep catch phrase. All worthwhile posters are trolls some of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    'Troll' is just what people call people that upset them by saying stuff on the internets, in order to dissociate themselves by categorisation. It's far easier to believe that people say those things for the sole reason of being dislikable; it absolves one from the need to listen, even excuses silencing them altogether - everything to avoid asking oneself how pure information could be hurting you in the first place.

Meaningless black sheep catch phrase. All worthwhile posters are trolls some of the time.

You might say things that trouble some people some of the time, but you are not remotely a troll. You express what you have to say eloquently and clearly and on-topic. Some people can't handle hearing ideas which challenge their personal belief system, but them not being able to handle exposure to your analysis of something doesn't make you a troll.

Given that Bat flounced off in a huff when I told him not to call an established member a troll, I certainly agree that some people over-use the expression "troll", but it is still a real thing. Some people do come to forums and attempt to be disruptive and unpleasant for either their personal entertainment or for various business or religious agendas.

I don't see Allah being a troll. A troll is usually someone who stands idly by just to get digs in later without any representation, whatsoever. Allah is entertainment. Same as a lot of you posters. And when did Allah post spam?

MG, you've talked shit before. Does that make you a troll?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I think if someone claims they have had 10+ disruptive accounts, it isn't an unreasonable stretch to toss in the charge that they might be trolling a bit, even if their primary account hasn't always been the one they were using to cause the most trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    I don't see Allah being a troll. A troll is usually someone who stands idly by just to get digs in later without any representation, whatsoever. Allah is entertainment. Same as a lot of you posters. And when did Allah post spam?

If allah is claiming to have been banned 10+ times, when that is patently not the case, that is pretty trollish. Why make something like that up, except to troll? Looking back over his posts, he does not seem to share anything about himself as a person and does frequently post unnecessarily negatively in many threads in a way which could be interpreted as an attempt to discourage people from posting on Blue Blood.

At any rate, the implication of allah's remarkably dishonest post in this thread is that he was disease boy. Disease boy was a troll, by his own admission of intent, and was still not banned, just asked to pare it down to one account.

Again, whether one sometimes disagrees with a person does not make them a troll. Morning Glory is not some fake character created for the purpose of being a disruptive drag. He is a real person, who shares real things about himself, who expresses real opinions in a clear and well-spoke way which invites dialogue, and I've met him in real life on multiple occasions and I assure you that Morning Glory exists.

I guess my problem with this board is all the bullshit "He said/she said" things. Being a supervisor, sometimes my job becomes being a parent for a bunch of 5 year olds. A lot of times I see this same shit going on here. GET OVER IT! "Well, this person totally doesn't get my point". Who fuckin' cares? GET OVER IT! It's great, yet I say...Absolutely wonderful, when someone discusses a topic where so many other people's thoughts and ideas can get in on the discussion. But, there just comes a point where you've laid your cards on the table and the other person is yelling "BULLSHIT!" and you just have to let it go and move on. You're NEVER going to get the person to SEE THE LIGHT. Just not gonna happen.

But on this board, it's all about going on and on and dragging out your observations when someone doesn't fall into the ranks and say "You're so fuckin' right. I don't know what I was thinking."....Well...Let's drag it on some more. For what?

And then...What is the deal with the last comment thrown in wins. No, you don't. Unless you've changed a person's mind on a discussion, NO, you haven't won. You just got the last word in. And all that amounts to is....Really, nothing.

I remember a troll way back, but I can't remember the name. I made an account with the visually same name. I just spelled one capital "i" as an "L".

I - l <- see any difference?

It was funny to pose as a troll and beg for forgiveness. I actually accidentally logged on my real account when I wanted to post as a troll's look alike and someone saw that damn millisecond before I deleted it and my plan went into water.

Well.... Allah definitely succeeded in taking your precious time to discuss his actions which was part of his plan, I guess. He still wins

Come on everyone! Is he really worth a discussion?!

I guess my problem with this board is all the bullshit "He said/she said" things. Being a supervisor, sometimes my job becomes being a parent for a bunch of 5 year olds. A lot of times I see this same shit going on here. GET OVER IT! "Well, this person totally doesn't get my point". Who fuckin' cares? GET OVER IT! It's great, yet I say...Absolutely wonderful, when someone discusses a topic where so many other people's thoughts and ideas can get in on the discussion. But, there just comes a point where you've laid your cards on the table and the other person is yelling "BULLSHIT!" and you just have to let it go and move on. You're NEVER going to get the person to SEE THE LIGHT. Just not gonna happen.

But on this board, it's all about going on and on and dragging out your observations when someone doesn't fall into the ranks and say "You're so fuckin' right. I don't know what I was thinking."....Well...Let's drag it on some more. For what?

And then...What is the deal with the last comment thrown in wins. No, you don't. Unless you've changed a person's mind on a discussion, NO, you haven't won. You just got the last word in. And all that amounts to is....Really, nothing.

The point of any forum is to facilitate conversation, so it doesn't make sense to tell people not to discuss things. A good debate on a topic will often impact my views and I strongly believe that intelligent people can parse new information and expand their horizons. We would not have an expression in English like "see the light" if nobody ever changed his or her mind and saw the light on anything.

I accept your viewpoint that intelligent people may sometimes be extra close-minded precisely because I do not expect everyone here to think in lockstep. Off the cuff, I do not agree, but it is something to think about and that is the whole point of having a diverse forum.

I hope nobody here thinks the last word is always the right one and I kind of don't think anyone does.

Can you clarify what you mean by "he said/she said"? That seems like something which would usually apply to IRL disputes discussed with people who were not there for whatever happened, so I don't follow how that applies to forum discussions which take place with everyone being able to see what he said and what she said at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    The point of any forum is to facilitate conversation, so it doesn't make sense to tell people not to discuss things. A good debate on a topic will often impact my views and I strongly believe that intelligent people can parse new information and expand their horizons. We would not have an expression in English like "see the light" if nobody ever changed his or her mind and saw the light on anything.

I accept your viewpoint that intelligent people may sometimes be extra close-minded precisely because I do not expect everyone here to think in lockstep. Off the cuff, I do not agree, but it is something to think about and that is the whole point of having a diverse forum.

I hope nobody here thinks the last word is always the right one and I kind of don't think anyone does.

Can you clarify what you mean by "he said/she said"? That seems like something which would usually apply to IRL disputes discussed with people who were not there for whatever happened, so I don't follow how that applies to forum discussions which take place with everyone being able to see what he said and what she said at the time.
    Well, not a "he said/she said" when it comes to gender. Just that it seems like some discussions NEVER get to an endpoint until someone's pissed off and done saying their peace and the other person is just raging on. There is no epic win.

And a side note- I would NEVER want someone to step in and say, let's not discuss this anymore. What I'm saying is the some people just do not get the clue that the other person is not going to side with them, no matter how hard they try.

Well I gotta agree with Raza on this one when he said that all dedicated posters are trolls sometimes. But i'd defer to Amelia's post on what differentiates a troll and someone that is mostly cool and just happens to be in a pissy mood.

I wasn't saying that Allah is a troll, I don't know if he is or not (But Forrest makes a good point. I wish we had a multi-qoute function on this board, it would make my life alot easier), just that Raza's description is what is commonly referred to as such.

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Firstly we must always remember "On the internet nobody knows you're a dog":

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    what differentiates a troll and someone that is mostly cool and just happens to be in a pissy mood.
    ... or just a normal mood even.

If trolling is about posting provocative, humourous, and possibly slightly off-topic stuff then perhaps it's not such a bad thing. If you had to have a serious discussion the whole time I'd never have bothered creating an account.

If it's about being pointlessly insulting and mindlessly provocative then yeah that's pretty pathetic and cowardly. Self-loathing is probably just the beginning of any analysis of that measly personality type. Likewise, creating multiple sockpuppet type personas is severely lame. Same for straw-man sockpuppets who pretend to have opposing views.

Sure I've had a bit of fun (not here) playing around with multiple logins but I always felt compelled to let folk who knew me know what was going on to convince myself and hopefully them that it wasn't a bad case of gutless, lifeless lame-ocity-ness.

Anyway I've managed to find an important image that for the first time shows the actual face of the sockpuppet troll and it's straw-woman sockpuppet caught in the act red-HANDED:

If you see these fugitives do not approach. They are believed to be ARMED.

So.... what do I need to do to get banned here?

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

I think you all suck and this board can go to hell!
    -Rockwulf10

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

I'm so vain that all my troll accounts have the same name ^^^

I guess I need to ask nicely to get banned here.

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    I guess I need to ask nicely to get banned here.

Hasn't worked in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by helcyon
    Firstly we must always remember "On the internet nobody knows you're a dog":

... or just a normal mood even.

If trolling is about posting provocative, humourous, and possibly slightly off-topic stuff then perhaps it's not such a bad thing. If you had to have a serious discussion the whole time I'd never have bothered creating an account.

If it's about being pointlessly insulting and mindlessly provocative then yeah that's pretty pathetic and cowardly. Self-loathing is probably just the beginning of any analysis of that measly personality type. Likewise, creating multiple sockpuppet type personas is severely lame. Same for straw-man sockpuppets who pretend to have opposing views.

Sure I've had a bit of fun (not here) playing around with multiple logins but I always felt compelled to let folk who knew me know what was going on to convince myself and hopefully them that it wasn't a bad case of gutless, lifeless lame-ocity-ness.

Anyway I've managed to find an important image that for the first time shows the actual face of the sockpuppet troll and it's straw-woman sockpuppet caught in the act red-HANDED:

If you see these fugitives do not approach. They are believed to be ARMED.

FTW. Any idea who made those sock puppets? That image rules.

+ Reply to Thread