+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Have you ever been called for jury duty?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Have you ever been called for jury duty?

Have you ever been called for jury duty? If so, did you go and what was it like?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Have you ever been called for jury duty?

whoa. weird. this just came up in another thread.

I was called before, but my group was dismissed. I kinda want to go. It's a big mistake to grant me that power, they don't know what they are in for. I'm going to vote for the most ridiculous thing. If it's for something cool, even if the guy is totally guilty, I'll say that he's innocent. Or else I'll vote for the death penalty if it's for some small crime like DUI. Pretty much just the opposite of what everyone else thinks to fuck with the system. haha

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i have gotten out of it a few times for medical reasons. i went once, and hope to never have to go again...talk about boring. it is not the actual jurying part that i hated so much as the sitting in a room waiting to be called for over 7 hours, with only the occasional recess to go outside.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Twice!
    First time I was living out of province. They accepted that excuse.
    Second time was just last year, and it was horribly annoying.
    Had to show up at 9 am, stand in line forever, then got stuffed into a court room with about 200 people, more waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Finally they started to call names, er, numbers out of a drum and about 2 hours later it was done. Thankfully they didn't call my number but I was a little curious to see what would have happened when they asked me to swear on the bible and I told them I didn't believe in god. I still wonder actually.
    On the upside, I got a paid day off work.

Ingridsca1's Avatar Member

Oh yes, they love to call up teachers. But they never pick me.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

yes. but it was like... right at thanksgiving last year, and i was at my grandparents'. i ignored it and it went away. probably because they realised it was fucking thanksgiving.

You should go. You enjoy (and probably take for granted) the rights of living in this country. The only thing, besides paying taxes, that you are obligated to do in return for living in the greatest nation on Earth is participate in this judicial process. Every person charged with a crime has a Constitutional right to a trial in front of a jury of their peers. You are a shitty example of an American if you won't even take the time to do this simple duty...even if it is "inconvenient" for you. Shame on you if you shirk your responsibilities as a citizen and weasel out of jury duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory

I was called before, but my group was dismissed. I kinda want to go. It's a big mistake to grant me that power, they don't know what they are in for. I'm going to vote for the most ridiculous thing. If it's for something cool, even if the guy is totally guilty, I'll say that he's innocent. Or else I'll vote for the death penalty if it's for some small crime like DUI. Pretty much just the opposite of what everyone else thinks to fuck with the system. haha

It's not the "system" you are fucking with. It is either a defendant's life or a victim's life, either way it is a fellow citizen.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

lol@greendevil

I didn't lose my legs in 'nam so I could sit on a jury.

I haven't been, but I'm a lawyer, so I wouldn't end up getting to stay anyhow.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    I haven't been, but I'm a lawyer, so I wouldn't end up getting to stay anyhow.

How did I not know that lawyers are exempt from serving jury duty? Does that apply to all attorneys or only if you vote in a state you are admitted to the bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    How did I not know that lawyers are exempt from serving jury duty? Does that apply to all attorneys or only if you vote in a state you are admitted to the bar?
    Well, I know that there have been automatic exemptions in some states by profession.

However, it's not generally that you're exempt, it's that you will almost certainly be dismissed during the voir dire process, if not simply for cause then as a peremptory challenge. No attorneys, prosecution or defense, really want another lawyer sitting in the jury box.

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

yeah, and both times i wrote back to not be able to go because I have a DUI and i can't get a ride that early since there aren't any buses...well they denied that, and I just didn't go, both times...and nothing happened.. no warrant, so good. Fuck them!

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory

You don't get a vote on sentencing, only guilty/innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle Harlequin
    yeah, and both times i wrote back to not be able to go because I have a DUI and i can't get a ride that early since there aren't any buses...well they denied that, and I just didn't go, both times...and nothing happened.. no warrant, so good. Fuck them!
    Are you sure no bench warrant was issued or have you just not heard about it. That might make for a really bad day some time in your future.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I have the same kind of "Get out of Jail Free" card for jury duty.

My bosses are the 2 most sought-after forensic psychologist and psychiatrists respectively. There's not a day at the office when I'm not on the phone with judges, lawyers, plaintiffs and defendants. I read and edit reports on all of my bosses' clients so I know every detail of all kinds of crazy cases.

There's no way I could be objective, even assuming they could find a case for me where I don't do business with at least one of the characters involved.

I was called, i went, but i was not chosen. It was pretty much a wasted day, but i would like to have been chosen...

Nos's Avatar Senior Member

I would love to sit in on a very long case. However I keeping getting called when school or state board are in the way ..... I might be the only person who would be bummed not to go.

theDragon_svDragcos's Avatar "Vampyre" / Senior Member
    ...~"No where in paticular"~...I've never had any Regular home ~ I moved around a'Lot.

Yes, Several times over the last twenty years.

+ Reply to Thread