+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What was the last good movie you saw in a theater?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default What was the last good movie you saw in a theater?

Tivo and NetFlix and On Demand have really spoiled me. I want to see things on the big screen, but the fact that I can't pause it and go get a snack or whatever actually agitates me at this point. I have some great theaters near by and I've been kind of itching to go and see some of the new spectacular looking movies, but at the same time, the adjustment to passive viewing is getting harder and harder.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: What was the last good movie you saw in a theater?

I don't know, I kind of like the idea that if you get up to go you'll miss the movie, that feels more like active viewing than passive to me because the movie is like happening for real...kind of. well at least it's going on no matter what you do (short of setting off the fire alarm.)

really, what I'm getting at here is it's exciting and you want to hurry back because you don't want to miss the best part of the movie. When you can pause it and get up to do something every five minutes, I just eventually wander away and don't come back because I have found something else to do. and then I don't care about watching the movie anymore.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Last thing I saw was Crank 2. I had gotten some free passes and went with my friends. I thought it was gonna be stupid but it was awesome.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    Last thing I saw was Crank 2. I had gotten some free passes and went with my friends. I thought it was gonna be stupid but it was awesome.

I enjoyed the first Crank, but it didn't seem conducive to a sequel. Does Jason Statham do full frontal in Crank 2 as rumored?

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

The last good movie I saw was Watchmen. I'm tentatively excited about Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I enjoyed the first Crank, but it didn't seem conducive to a sequel. Does Jason Statham do full frontal in Crank 2 as rumored?
    If he does, I don't remember/have blocked it out.

He does shove a pump shotgun up some dude's ass though.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

IDK....Probably "Talledega Nights". I laughed like a silly mother fucker all during that flick. I go to the movies every so often, but most movies are just average to me. Even the big blockbusters....Although action packed and full of eye candy, are just the same old, same old. It doesn't mean I think they suck. Just means they don't rock my world, is all.

Your world was rocked by Will fucking Farrell? I've lost all respect for you...

Nos's Avatar Senior Member

I loved Star Trek

Also out in L.A. you have the New Beverly ... you can catch some great stuff their! I really enjoy the grindhouse nights!

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Kind of. It's censored. Which is really kind of sexist since there are about 65 tits shown, including amy smart's.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    Your world was rocked by Will fucking Farrell? I've lost all respect for you...
    I wasn't "rocked". I just thought the flick was hilarious. If I go to a comedy, I want to laugh my ass off. Most of the time this doesn't happen. With this movie it did. So, it met my expectations, where most movies just don't.

and the porridge was just

i saw coraline. it was pretty cool in 3d, but having read the book, i had to be a little disappointed.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

iron-man. i don't do theatres so much. if i see a movie i wanna see, i'll wait for the dvd of it to come out.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

Can anyone provide me with an accurate, yet spoiler-free, review of "Terminator: Salvation?" That's the only movie currently in theaters that I'm in danger of paying to see.

Taken was good, but it's out on DVD, it's riveting and suspenseful. It's got Liam, who really holds the movie together.

Crank 2: Was hilarious, a guilty cineophile pleasure where plot matters not and it's all action. Quent may say he does "Grindhouse" with that pathetic attempt he did awhile back, but this movie is pure grindhouse cinema with a nice sized budget. How can you not like a movie with the most interesting use of a shotgun and some lube.

Just a note: Coraline was done with stop motion puppets. I missed it at the theaters though.

Jomei

Terminator review with spoiler: lots of people die, shit gets blown up, robots fight each other for about 2 hours. If you like that, then you will enjoy it.

I don't remember what movie I saw last in the theater. I remember I wanted a refund though.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    Terminator review with spoiler: lots of people die, shit gets blown up, robots fight each other for about 2 hours. If you like that, then you will enjoy it.
    Oh, absolutely! I'm seeing "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" for all the same reasons.

OK let me rephrase that. it's like Reign Of Fire...

but with Robots instead of Dragons.

So in other words, while it may require moments of disbelief with a focus generally on action above story, it does still have characterization and plot development- unlike Transformers.

Oh...

... well, there goes the rest of my enthusiasm.

Is it any better than "Reign" for not having Matthew McCuntrag in it?

Yup.

Don't feel bad you have not one but two mindless CG action flicks this summer, both of them based on toy lines for jaded hipsters trying to get back in touch with their youth, or youth that had no idea how lame they were originally.

I saw Star Trek last night. It was good. had a few glaring plot holes and I wonder if JJ abrams has lost his mind, but still an enjoyable movie that didn't seem dull or rushed.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    Yup.

Don't feel bad you have not one but two mindless CG action flicks this summer, both of them based on toy lines for jaded hipsters trying to get back in touch with their youth, or youth that had no idea how lame they were originally.

I saw Star Trek last night. It was good. had a few glaring plot holes and I wonder if JJ abrams has lost his mind, but still an enjoyable movie that didn't seem dull or rushed.
    after wasting an hour and a half i'll never get back from the firs tone and seeing the previews of the gi joe film... i'm betting michael bay is going more for the latter than the former.

I hate michael bay with a passion, he's pretty much butchered everything i enjoyed as a kid and the youngsters just eat it up.

if he touches he-man i'm going to hunt him down. he's already planning on cornholing a nightmare on elm street too since he already assraped friday the 13th.

+ Reply to Thread