+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: are extreme heels a body image problem or just hotness?

and your little dog too

Default are extreme heels a body image problem or just hotness?

from times

From The Sunday Times
    May 31, 2009
    Extreme heels have reached ridiculous heights
    Shane Watson

Okay, I admit it. I judge a woman by her shoes. Over the past six months I’ve been gradually developing an allergy to the extremes of fashion footwear — seven straps, indented platforms, 5in heels, or those pointy high-heeled courts that shove the feet so far forward, there’s a permanent half-inch gap at the back. Don’t get me wrong: I personally own two pairs of 4in-high Marc Jacobs cork wedges, and I have some rope-soled numbers that make me 6ft 2in. But, guess what: my shoes don’t reduce me to a parody of a trannie in a storm. I don’t need a minder to help me down stairs. And, above all, I still know there is a time for the tottering fashion heel and a place for the Havaianas flip-flop.

You could forgive trannie heels if they just made an appearance at parties and red-carpet events. But the woman who wears these shoes is too scared to be seen without them. It’s a physical addiction, like extreme breast enhancement, and it’s getting worse. She’s wearing her trannies to sports day (Posh), on the aeroplane (Posh), and even poolside and to the beach (everyone’s doing it, from Scary Spice to Kate Beckinsale). These shoes have achieved something that the Taliban are still working on: they have made a certain sort of woman believe she is inadequate without the addition of a 6in restrainer attached to both legs — even when she’s in a bikini.

Remember Posh (again) wearing wedge-heeled trainers to pretend to play baseball back when the Beckhams first moved to America? Little did we know then that this was not an example of vanity run amok, but the beginning of an era of wearing heels you can’t do anything in for everything. The problem here is twofold. The kind of women who fall for trannie shoes have forgotten there is a difference between pictures and real life. We all love an image of a leggy model in 6in heels, but everybody used to understand that if you do actually attempt the housework wearing Prada multistrap platforms, you are liable to come to a sticky end. The second problem is extreme competitiveness. When Angelina stalked down the red carpet for the premiere of Brad’s new film, she was obliged to wear the uniform of split-to-the-groin gown (or minidress with train) and trannie shoes. It’s no longer a matter of how good you look; it’s a question of “I can if she can”. And I look thinner and taller.

But we don’t all have limos waiting out of shot and helpers to lean on. Step outside at the beginning or the end of the day, and you will see, along with the girls on a fag break, women rifling in giant handbags for their giant heels that they can’t wear to drive/walk/cycle/shop/dance/kiss, but which they feel compelled to put on when at work or out on the town. It is, as Peter Andre might say, insania.

and the porridge was just

Default Re: are extreme heels a body image problem or just hotness?

i know people who are attracted to women in converse. doesnt just depend on who you are trying to appeal to, and THEN address if it is something that they are doing on purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by KessM
    i know people who are attracted to women in converse. doesnt just depend on who you are trying to appeal to, and THEN address if it is something that they are doing on purpose?

I think Kess looks hot in big boots. Does that count as an opinion on the subject?

Vexbeast's Avatar Eat me, I'm nutritious.

Always thought large heels were pretty ugly to be honest. Never even wondered if it was a body image problem, is having a body image problem better or worse than having bad taste?

Brothel creepers are love...

Matter of taste. Once you get used to a certain standard of what you percieve as beauty from yourself, some people get uncomfortable being seen without it - seems no different here than with basic makeup or a keenness to keep your hair dyed proper. It's probably insecurity for some people, ambition for others, a combination of the two for most - but singling out specific things like high heels or cosmetic surgery and declaring them psychological issues across the board is generally just a judgemental way to rationalize personal distaste.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I just never got that into girlie shoes at all. I used to mostly wear combat boots and I kind of likes wearing big platform boots out at night until my (broken) ankle put a long-term stop to that.

Hippie style is not my thing, but I always loved being barefoot, even as a kid. I went barefoot so much that, I had to get stitches in my foot once for putting it through a window, and my pediatrician found getting the needle through my tough sole so difficult that he swore he would send all future stitches cases to the hospital.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Shoes.=pure sex.

Oh yeah, and to answer the original question, I don't think anyone can really judge someone else's priorities for shoe selection. Sometimes I have higher priority stuff (higher priority to me) to work on than getting decked out. Sometimes I like to dress up. Even though I am more partial to criteria like cool hair than shoes, if someone else likes to dress up in little ways all the time, I don't see why that is problematic.

I love high heels, and i prance around in front of my mirror while getting ready, trying to decide which shoes i will wear. I then succomb to wearing my flat shoes because i am being told that we have to walk.
    This seems to be my normal going out routine, i have several high heels, but have only ever worn 1 pair. The rest are saved for the day that will never come, when i can actually walk in them

Quote Originally Posted by Vix
    I love high heels, and i prance around in front of my mirror while getting ready, trying to decide which shoes i will wear. I then succomb to wearing my flat shoes because i am being told that we have to walk.
    This seems to be my normal going out routine, i have several high heels, but have only ever worn 1 pair. The rest are saved for the day that will never come, when i can actually walk in them

I feel ya. I have kept all my big black platform boots, even though I know the likelihood of ever being able to wear them again is pretty much nil.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    Matter of taste. Once you get used to a certain standard of what you percieve as beauty from yourself, some people get uncomfortable being seen without it - seems no different here than with basic makeup or a keenness to keep your hair dyed proper. It's probably insecurity for some people, ambition for others, a combination of the two for most - but singling out specific things like high heels or cosmetic surgery and declaring them psychological issues across the board is generally just a judgemental way to rationalize personal distaste.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

~K

rikosaka's Avatar ChorizoSmells

A lot of my friends wear shoes like these since they work in S/M bar and clubs. I always hear from them how their feet hurt, they look great in them but 6 hours a day at work is hell for them.

Even sadder is seeing all the young hostess girls walking around downtown all night, some can barely walk in those high heels.

But for my photo shoots I always love a woman in those high heels. Now with summer here I can except even more strappy heels because fashion is very high on the list for the women here.

Bah, big heels hurt to much to be worth it. Not to mention a lot of those things - those skinny heels, or pointy-toed ones - are hideous. But I also don't like sandals or sneakers. Boots FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I feel ya. I have kept all my big black platform boots, even though I know the likelihood of ever being able to wear them again is pretty much nil.
    i am terrifyingly horrible at walking in heels of any sort. although i have been practicing. intensive ballet boot walking training.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

wow, whoever wrote that article really likes to throw around the word "trannie" alot....wonder if there's soemthing there to that.......anyways as for high high heels...no,

they're hot and if someone's got em and wants to wear em more power to them.
    i know i wouldnt be caught dead anywhere outide of a costume shop or party wearing my frankenboots though. not because they're platforms but because they cramp my feet up soemthing fierce after about an hour or two
    (i have flat feet)

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

I love all kinds of shoes.
    Especially assorted heels.
    I think it has something to do with the mood.
    Like do i really want to walk around in those?
    Today im going to be lazy.
    Tonight im going to be sexy as fuck.
    :]

high heels are good for walking away angrily in

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

In my experience, if you wear them enough you can do anything in them.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    wow, whoever wrote that article really likes to throw around the word "trannie" alot....wonder if there's soemthing there to that.......anyways as for high high heels...no,
    I use that occasionally; MtF trannie/drag queen is a rather specific look you can project by exaggerating classically feminine artificial elements of style beyond your body shape's natural ability to make them convincing. I can't speak for the rather bitter sounding shoe police lady - it seems entirely probable that she'd have some covert problem with transexuals - but I think the term is valid in purely aesthetic discussion either way.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    I use that occasionally; MtF trannie/drag queen is a rather specific look you can project by exaggerating classically feminine artificial elements of style beyond your body shape's natural ability to make them convincing. I can't speak for the rather bitter sounding shoe police lady - it seems entirely probable that she'd have some covert problem with transexuals - but I think the term is valid in purely aesthetic discussion either way.
    I know i know. just spouting the first thing that popped into my head when reading it is all.

rikosaka's Avatar ChorizoSmells

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory

They have that exact same outfit at the Hard Rock Cafe here. When I pass by it sometimes they have it displayed in the window facing the street, those are some big ass shoes/heels. I wonder how heavy they are.

Quote Originally Posted by rikosaka
    They have that exact same outfit at the Hard Rock Cafe here. When I pass by it sometimes they have it displayed in the window facing the street, those are some big ass shoes/heels. I wonder how heavy they are.
    i wouldnt want to think about it

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

I love my heels. I'm only 5'2 and it's nice to be able to see the world where the rest of you do

Quote Originally Posted by athenahollow
    I love my heels. I'm only 5'2 and it's nice to be able to see the world where the rest of you do
    i used to wear heels a lot when i was in high school as a freshman- then i took them off one day and felt short and it made me sad because id rather have my normal height so i can feel tall as opposed to short when changing my main shoe type

and now i just dont wear shoes.

toxicat's Avatar catty member

Shoes are slavery - unless you're trampling your sub.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicat
    Shoes are slavery - unless you're trampling your sub.

except im sort of a sub.

Her whole point seems pretty irrelevant to me. Exaggerated high heels are a fashion thing... if you like them and don't mind the pain, wear them, wear really tight corsets, whatev. If you wear them so much that they have a negative impact on your life then yes, obviously you have a problem and you're a fucking idiot. Why do we care about fucking idiots hurting themselves for stupid reasons? If you're really that uninterested in your own health and comfort, if you're really that competitive and petty, you'll sabotage yourself in a million ways, this being just one.

Also, WTF is with all the spice girls references? Are they relevant again?

And yeah, I noticed her slightly creepy overuse of the word trannie as well.

I looked it up after posting this, and apparently they are. Urgh. Their version of "girl power" was twitch-worthy when I was 12.

*shudder*

toxicat's Avatar catty member

except im sort of a sub.
    Then (shoe) slavery is a good thing.

Deetz's Avatar Member

I don't know how to go without my high heels, boots, platforms, stripper shoes (haha), etc. I use a lot of them for shoots, due to not having a night life over here.
    I tend to think if a girl has a variety of shoes (or a guy) in their closet, it must mean they don't fit into one "category", which is always great in a person.

Plus, I'm 5'0-5'1, I like to be tall some days, so my shoes come in handy for this when I want to seem like I'm 5'7" lol.

FedorasBox's Avatar Member

I like to live with hairy legs and pajamas so I can Really impress my man when I get all dressed up........I wish that were true.
    As a model, I relish in those photographers that can take amazing photos without all that plastic shit. all the shoes and makeup can be distracting from the real beauty a woman has.

I really do like dressing up, though.

Quote Originally Posted by FedorasBox
    I like to live with hairy legs and pajamas so I can Really impress my man when I get all dressed up........I wish that were true.
    its true for me

its true for me
    well, besides the man part. dont have one of those

well, besides the man part. dont have one of those
    I am recently w/o a man (after 5year thing). I have a lot beating my door down, but I am pretty stoked to grow out my armpit hair and not think about dating.

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

As a model, I relish in those photographers that can take amazing photos without all that plastic shit. all the shoes and makeup can be distracting from the real beauty a woman has.

I really do like dressing up, though.
    I don't think that "just woke up and crawled out of bed naked with no makeup on" beauty is any realer than "spent hours using skills it took some time to learn to look exactly the way you wanted to" beauty. Just different. More appealing to most people, certainly, at least based on how very very seldom I'm asked for anything other than a girl next door look when I'm shooting. But also much less appealing to people with a different aesthetic. But they're both equally real. I don't suddenly disappear when I put eyeliner on.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Evans
    I don't think that "just woke up and crawled out of bed naked with no makeup on" beauty is any realer than "spent hours using skills it took some time to learn to look exactly the way you wanted to" beauty. Just different. More appealing to most people, certainly, at least based on how very very seldom I'm asked for anything other than a girl next door look when I'm shooting. But also much less appealing to people with a different aesthetic. But they're both equally real. I don't suddenly disappear when I put eyeliner on.
    agreed times ten

I also agree. I just feel strange when all that work gets put into a "look" and all the compliments that follow...I also feel strange getting hit on at the airport when I have no makeup on and havent showered in 3 days.

I also agree. I just feel strange when all that work gets put into a "look" and all the compliments that follow...I also feel strange getting hit on at the airport when I have no makeup on and havent showered in 3 days.
    ohhh i know and airport mirrors are super unflattering too so its even more confusing

+ Reply to Thread