+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garbage disposal

Nos's Avatar Senior Member

Default Garbage disposal

Okay ... it's 2:00 in the morning and I can't sleep. The following is great insight to how my mind works when I've had to much sugar and am left to my own:

Having already watched 3 movies and spent way to much time on the web, I've been doing things around my parents house (of which I'm staying at this week) to keep from being bored. So I decided to take out ther garbage. But their town has this weird sticker system for trash. Apparently you have to "pay by the bag".

You pre-pay for these pink stickers in what is known as a "solid waste collection program". Then you stick them onto your garbage bag and haul in out to the curb. They won't take the trash if they don't see the sticker. - This is seems really strange to me.

When I was growing up it seemed like the garbage collectors came every day and picked up whatever the hell was at the end of the drive-way.
    Now that I live in St.Louis we have a designated trash can with some elaborate pick-up calendar and you can only put certian things out on certain days.

I honestly want to hear about how this system works in your apartment/city/country

Thank you and goodnight .....

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Garbage disposal

How much are the stickers?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

kinkos!

Deetz's Avatar Member

In our city/town/whatever, the amount you pay probably changes with the company you choose and the days of the week, probably change too. But on the designated days for us, monday and thursday they come and take whatever we can fit, into a large trash can and two recycling bins and thats a flat free per month. Not by the bag.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I throw away my shit into a dumpster designated for use by all the barracks buildings and whoever else feels like using it.

When I stay off post, I throw the bags into the bed of my truck and find a gas station dumpster to toss them in. I don't pay for shit!

Here we've got two mornings a week when garbage is picked up, which depend on the city district. No stickers, although I know that in some other provinces they only pick up extra expensive trash-fee bags, which is much the same mechanic.

I can kinda appreciate the designated days, that way I know when to go dumpster diving.

Deetz's Avatar Member

maybe it's the lack of sleep but I just found talking about garbage at 2 in the morning to be really funny.

*faceslam*

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Where I live, they pickup garbage, recyclables, and horticulture, all on one day...Wednesday and then that's it till the next week. God help you if you forget to take your cans to the road on Wednesday because you're gonna have 2 weeks full of garbage the following week. Ewwwww.

and the porridge was just

my roommates take care of it. i put it in plastic bags.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

here it's recyclebles every week, garbage every other week....three bag limit I think. I don't deal with the garbage at home. If I got something big I just throw it out at work

Amelia: Not sure ... enough to where my parents try and cram as much trash into one bag as they can.

Deetz: It IS funny I don't know why my mind goes to these strange places at night ..

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    Where I live, they pickup garbage, recyclables, and horticulture, all on one day...Wednesday and then that's it till the next week. God help you if you forget to take your cans to the road on Wednesday because you're gonna have 2 weeks full of garbage the following week. Ewwwww.
    I've done it too ... sucks

Deetz's Avatar Member

I've forgotten to take out the garbage and recycling to the curb at one point. The garbage had to be left in the house for a week. We didn't put it outside, in case animals would try to get into it. uck..

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Guelph has always been a kind of test site for new things. It started with blue boxes (just recyclables) waaaaay back in the early 80's and that's progressed to the wet/dry system we have now. So it's blue bags for recyclables, green bags for compost stuff, and clear bags for everything else. We don't have stickers but if your garbage is not sorted properly they will leave your garbage sitting on the curb. Pick up is a few times a week but there's certain days for certain coloured bags. It's a major pain in the ass but thankfully I live downtown and pick up is everyday. Plus, my building has a garbage room downstairs so I don't have to worry about getting my garbage to the curb on time and being stuck with rotting shit in my apt.
    We also have special days for x-mas trees, leaves, and old furniture etc. you just want to get rid of.

+ Reply to Thread