+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What's everyone reading?

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Default What's everyone reading?

I have this habit of buying like, 4 or 5 books at a time and before I even finish one I've bought a few more. So, I have tons of unread books lying around. I just finished Dracula and now it's a toss up between Nabokovs Laughter in the Dark and Pride and Prejudice, and Zombies. I can't decide.
    So whaddya think? What are you guys reading right now?
    Got any recommendations?

Deetz's Avatar Member

Default Re: What's everyone reading?

I'm reading a book on psychology, since thats what my major is in college.
    I have a hard time reading books. My husband thinks i have a signs of a low case of Dyslexia, so I have trouble wanting to read because I get irritated. Especially if I'm reading out loud, I can't read for longer than maybe 5 minutes.

Currently reading Recipes for Disaster: An Anarchist Cookbook. Before that it was the Party Monster book I got for my birthday. After this I'll probably borrow Drawing Blood from Izta - she tells me it's good, if not quite as awesome as Lost Souls was.

I don't really read much; it's mostly a standby for when there's absolutely nothing else to do.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I only really read when I'm traveling. I read kind of slow and there's been few authors that have helped make what I'm reading interesting. Right now I'm halfway through Dark Hollows by John Connolly. I've read a couple of his other books before. Other than him, I only read Stephen King, Kim Harrison, and Chuck Palahniuk.

and the porridge was just

im reading my computer screen and wishing i wasnt and was actually still in bed

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    Currently reading Recipes for Disaster: An Anarchist Cookbook. Before that it was the Party Monster book I got for my birthday. After this I'll probably borrow Drawing Blood from Izta - she tells me it's good, if not quite as awesome as Lost Souls was.

I don't really read much; it's mostly a standby for when there's absolutely nothing else to do.
    Grr...someone stole my Anarchists Cookbook. Isn't that illegal? Not the stealing part, I mean the actual book itself.
    I loved Party Monster

toxicat's Avatar catty member

a Brief Hirstory of time by Oryelle Defenestrate-Bascule

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    Grr...someone stole my Anarchists Cookbook. Isn't that illegal? Not the stealing part, I mean the actual book itself.
    I loved Party Monster
    Naw, the book that Raza is referring to consists of some pranks, direct action and generally harmless activities and commentary by an anarchist organization called Crimethinc based mostly out of Portland, OR. They are pretty cool, I've read a few of the books they've put out, but it's all pretty much redundant... but they acknowledge this fact, so you can't really hold that against them. The book kinda pissed me off because it's in a weird shape, it's like 4" by 11".

Not to be confused with what you are thinking of The (so-called) Anarchist Cookbook. Which was originally published in the late 60's or early 70's containing pranks, scams, and various chemical concoctions, such as how to make bombs and LSD which are for the most part either intentionally inaccurate, the product of ignorance, or just incomplete formulas for whatever reason.

I'm not sure of it's banned status. It was independently published, so there wasn't really much of a way to block it. It only had a few additions and small print run. So you won't be able to pick it up at Barnes and Noble, but you won't be arrested for having a copy of it either.

It's pretty likely that it was written by the feds for the purpose of keeping track of anyone that bought it so that they could be labeled a dangerous trouble-maker. They (and Russia too) like to do that sort of thing- create anti-government and terrorist threats where they didn't exist before to justify their own paranoia.

Right now I am reading Ulysses by James Joyce.

The guy was a genuis. He's a master of language (they say the book contains every English word) and his level of knowledge is astounding. The book contains so many references to things that you'd have to have an encyclopedic mind. Just analyzing the contents of the book could be a college course, and I'm sure that it is.

At over 750 pages just the volume alone (but without a doubt the intellectual scope, as well) measures up to novels such as Moby Dick and War And Peace.

And then there is the mythological, psychological, linguistic and historical refences I said before, along with allusion, metaphor and symbolism...

They say that if you comprehend 1/4 of the book the first time you read it then you are doing great.

MG knows the size of my book, lol.

I don't get to say this too often, but he's right about most everything else in that post, too.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I'm reading one of the dresden files books, nice one shot stories with that series

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory

Not to be confused with what you are thinking of The (so-called) Anarchist Cookbook. Which was originally published in the late 60's or early 70's containing pranks, scams, and various chemical concoctions, such as how to make bombs and LSD which are for the most part either intentionally inaccurate, the product of ignorance, or just incomplete formulas for whatever reason.
    Yea that's the one I had.

[QUOTE=Morning Glory
    They say that if you comprehend 1/4 of the book the first time you read it then you are doing great.[/QUOTE]

So, are you comprehending?

yeh, maybe about that much. I'm only about 50 pages in so far. But I read Joyce's first novel and a few other books about the author and the material prior to tackling the book, so I have a bit of a better understanding of what it's all about than someone that just picks it up not knowing anything about it.

I just got the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and a collection of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories, a book about the plots to assassinate Hitler, The Big Book of Conspiracies (the BB series is an anthology of comics based on different subjects, they are pretty cool. I know there is a couple true crime and strange circumstances ones. The Big Book of Death is a pretty good one too.) and JG Ballard's Crash ( I decided to put that one away to make some headway in the other 6 books that I was reading at the time!)

As for recommendations, I am always in the mood to read H.P. Lovecraft. Can't go wrong there.

Mystooo, you sound just like me. I'm always buying books.There's a great used book store here so you can get a decent deal, but if you don't buy it when you see it, then it usually won't be there next time.

Last time I checked I had 50 books that I hadn't read yet, and since then I've bought at least 20 and read no more than 5 or ten.

the other 6 books that I was reading at the time!)
    Aghhh, you're like me, 6 books at a time

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

As for recommendations, I am always in the mood to read H.P. Lovecraft. Can't go wrong there.
    If you like Lovecraft (and who in their right mind wouldn't), then I can at least begin to make this rather obscure recommendation and hope for the best: Robert W. Chambers "The Yellow Sign" and other stories. Chambers was one of Lovecraft's predecessors and influences, though noted less often than Poe. I'm amazed at the flavour of frightful fantasy in Chambers' stories though; every single one of his tales seemed to draw me down a new path, making me (in classic Lovecraftian fashion) so eager to see where the road led but wary of what I might meet along the way. They all seem to hold that "Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath" mysticism, but seldom with a happy ending for the dreamer.

In my opinion, any appreciator of the creator of Cthulu and his ilk will have no trouble welcoming Chambers into their collection.

FedorasBox's Avatar Member

I am re-reading the Illuminatus! by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea.
    I have a ton of other reference material on my desk, too. I like to read anything from weird poetry from the 1600s to mythology for little-known cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by Aza
    Robert W. Chambers "The Yellow Sign" and other stories. Chambers was one of Lovecraft's predecessors and influences, though noted less often than Poe.
    Sounds familiar. Post-Victorian horror doesn't get enough credit. Most of Lovecraft's influences were better writers than he was; he essential wrote pulp stories, but he was a good enough writer that they were better than most of the other pulp.

I'll check it out, if I ever have the time.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

i used to be like that in VA, when i had money... i'd be reading like three books at once and i'd have all these other books sitting around waiting to be read...
    right now i just finished one of the southern vampire books and am frantically searching the house for another one u_u

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Frey, and the following stories of Phrese. But they're all in my(our) head(s) at the moment, so I don't know if that counts as "reading", more ... transcribing.

There's been a shortage of good books out in recent years. There's apparently a massive copyright infringement market in publishing these days so for every half decent story that could have been written by a 12 year old, there are 12,000 hackneyed pulp rip offs. These printed books of toilet paper are popular with publishers because the original concepts are making money hand over fist, which results in nothing worth reading since majority of the last great generation of authors has died in the last two years. Hopefully the next generation will rise soon so that once Aza and I have joined their ranks we'll have something good to read.

~K

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    Frey, and the following stories of Phrese. But they're all in my(our) head(s) at the moment, so I don't know if that counts as "reading", more ... transcribing.

Hopefully the next generation will rise soon so that once Aza and I have joined their ranks we'll have something good to read.
    Joined their ranks? I'd much rather make them struggle to join our ranks, Kitten.

I'm reading 'Dark Delicacies II' it's horror short stories, but it kind of sucks. Only a few have been really good. There is a Hells Angels book I have in my Amazon wish list I want. It's written by Sonny Barger.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I just ordered Madame Bovary which the book club I'm in chose to read, the most recent Dilbert collection, and two Charles Stross books. But I always choose free shipping, to save a little, which takes a while. So I'm stuck re-reading a collection of hard-boiled noir classic short work and The Other Boleyn Girl which I read about a hundred pages of in February at someone else's house and can't quite commit to.

I really liked the Illuminati stuff back when I read it and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was one of my favorite books of all time. Been a while since I read either though.

I totally enjoyed the first of the Dresden Files books, but I made the mistake of watching an episode of the TV show they made based on them and it totally ruined the vibe for me.

Clockwork Jello's Avatar Droog

I am reading so much job related material that I no longer have time to read for fun.

That's unfortunate.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    I'm reading one of the dresden files books, nice one shot stories with that series
    reading another one................this series really grows on you

I recommend Kafka on the shore
    I read it and then commenced on reading the rest of his books by Haruki Murakami very nice funny and weird stories. A fun light read, perfect after a stressful day imo

I thought the Jennifer Morgue was better written, but i enjoyed the Atrocity Archive more.

But for the time being Chandler, Hemmet and Dorothy Parker short stories are making up my recreational reading. I just got in a mood for a while.

Now that I think about it, and have looked over my library, I can't say that I've read any great books written by women either. Surely they must be out there and I just haven't discovered them yet. I did read a lot of V.C. Andrews when I was young though.

Quote Originally Posted by allah
    I must admit to feeling a little disappointed when I open a gift only to find a book written by a female author. I do of course read the description and naturally, if it sounds interesting, I’ll give it a shot, but my experience has lead me to believe I will be underwhelmed. I know its not exactly PC but hey, that’s honesty…
    If you buy my book and hate it, I will personally reimburse you.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I totally enjoyed the first of the Dresden Files books, but I made the mistake of watching an episode of the TV show they made based on them and it totally ruined the vibe for me.
    Jim Butcher is complete and utter crap. And I've read every single one of his Dresden books in about half a day. (Some while sitting in the bookstore doing nothing.) (And I'll read every single one of them that comes out just as soon as I find it.)

The TV show however was NOT enjoyable shite. It was bloody fuckin' awful.

I like reading crap fiction. This spring I was reading Steven Saylor's "Gordianus the Finder" books. I had got the first one "Roman Blood" in a $5 shopping bag of books at a library sale years ago, and hadn't realized he'd written so many others till I stumbled across them at the library. Mystery fiction set during the fall of the roman republic.

Anyone else here use the library?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly

Anyone else here use the library?
    I love the library so much I live right across the street from it!

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I read these threads and comments. Isn't that e'nuff learning for a day?

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

Im on the last book of twilight (haters shhh).
    hahaha im forcing myself to enjoy it, instead on O.D. ing and reading it all in one shot.

Another book i just finished reading is Jesus Freak by Andre Duza-- did a photoshoot for his new book necro sex machine.

Quote Originally Posted by allah
    What's your book about? If it's not called Charlotte Forgiven, or Beatrice Awoken or Narcissus in Chains or some shit I may buy it. Unless its available on a torrent site for free of course...
    Hey, it's not called (_whatever deity/mythical creature, concept, etc._) Rising, at least!
    Evangeline And The Drama Wheel. I don't know if it's kosher to post a link on this board, but the novella is searchable.

So you WOULD pay me, and perhaps even an amount greater than the listing price?

Whatever, buddy. I have cats to feed.

well he's kind of got a point. if people feel they have a right to be compensated for the time and intellectual exertion they put forth in to creating something bad, then we should be equally compensated for the time wasted and intellectual degradation we received from it.

I've actually been reading fiction recently which is kinda odd for me (except for vonnegut). I just finished Water For Elephants which was fairly good and am now on The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which seems interesting so far even if it wasn't translated all that well at times. Choke was a pretty good one day read if you're looking for a quick and easy book that will give you boners.

+ Reply to Thread