+ Reply to Thread

Thread: True Blood Season 2 - Can Vampires Grow or Dye Hair?

Default True Blood Season 2 - Can Vampires Grow or Dye Hair?

As you all probably know, the HBO series True Blood, based on the Charlaine Harris novels, was one of my favorite new shows this past year, maybe my very favorite. The new season...
    Read the full article

Default Re: True Blood Season 2 - Can Vampires Grow or Dye Hair?

Eric Northman has shorter hair this season because Alexander Skarsgaard had a crew cut from Generation Kill when they filmed season one of True Blood. He wore a wig for the first season, but he has been growing his hair out and it was deemed too much of a time-waster to have to put a wig on over his longer hair and he did not really want to wear the wig any more.

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Ok I'll have a quick stab at this one.

I prefer to just consume books, movies etc. and not analyse too much because... well I don't know why... no need for me to think that hard if I don't want to and perhaps most offerings are not worth the analysis.

I like reading books but I dislike doing book reviews. Same for TV and movies most of which just aren't up to the standard that I like and that's not my fault or necessarily a bad reflection on the movie or whatever... it's just true. There are exceptions.

Anyway True Blood is something I enjoy consuming and I make allowances for some of the rather large holes in that universe. They seem to quickly come up with fast explanations to explain away stuff which can seem a bit contrived but I'm happy to let it go. Over analysing would kill it and I'm going off to watch the opening ep for season 2 right now.

Unless vampire hairs and bodies are utterly immutable and resistant to harsh wear and tear then they must regenerate in some way - no doubt by drinking blood. Getting punished by being locked in a coffin or some-such without access to blood causes them to degrade rather much.In this show previously I seem to remember Bill nearly melting due to excess sunlight but he made a fast comeback to English good looks (yeah right) after lying in the earth for a night (I think... can't remember exactly). Therefore it appears that as a vampire you can do foils in your hair or alter your cosmetic regime but by rights after you jump under the dirt for a nap you should go back to how you were when you were turned. Bad luck if your roots are showing and you don't like that.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I can accept a mythos by which a vampire could regrow hair. There are definitely some gaps in True Blood, but it's just the one fun show I watch. No doubt the undead have been appropriated to the point of absurdity, but that came well before the new set of novelties offered by True Blood. It's a good show.

OEC

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

traditionally, I don't think they can, but I'm okay with suspending my disbelief to allow it...after all, we're already suspending disbelief enough to believe in vampires.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Evans
    we're already suspending disbelief enough to believe in vampires.
    w..what? you mean... vampires are not real? There's no vampire santa claus? nnnooooooooo....!!!

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by helcyon
    w..what? you mean... vampires are not real? There's no vampire santa claus? nnnooooooooo....!!!
    The cake is a lie and you can't have a pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Evans
    The cake is a lie and you can't have a pony.
    But ... I saw mommy kissing vampi-claus

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

When you take a drama and make it too fantastic it just becomes camp.

I can accept vampires, but werewolves and aliens and changlings all in the same medium push it too far out into absurdity.

It worked for Buffy, but I don't think that is what this show is going fo.r

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I've never seen it, but sure, why not let a vampire grow hair? They've done it in plenty of movies as well (Underworld and I think one of the Blade movies). It just regenerates as their bodies do to what they looked like before, granted it's usually next day or two. Hell, I stopped watching HBO around the time Carnivale got cancelled. I was never able to get into any of their other original series. Except Spawn, which I now have on DVD anyway.

+ Reply to Thread