+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bruno/ Borat/ Sacha Baron Cohen

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Bruno/ Borat/ Sacha Baron Cohen

What do you think about him? Are you going to see the new movie?

A discussion got started on the Drag Me To Hell thread, but since it was hijacking it, I figured I'd start a new one because there were some interesting thoughts there.

Clockwork Jello's Avatar Droog

Default Re: Bruno/ Borat/ Sacha Baron Cohen

I think he is really overrated. Borat was not really funny. I mean I giggled a little bit, but I could not even make through half the movie let alone the full thing. Then again I can't stand to watch, for lack of a better phrase, "embarrassment humor." I find it impossible to watch a character be put into an embarrassing situation.

That being said I will not be going to see this movie.

I guess the thing that I don't like about him is that he's pretty exploitative. I mean I don't like his comedy as social commentary, he's supposed to be exposing the ignorance and bigotry of people, but he's doing it by actualizing the stereotypes that inflame those sentiments and in a way sort of justifying it. Like if you think that foreigners are stupid and weird, or that gay people are one-dimensional and disrespectful... well, you're kind of right because he IS making them out to be that way.

For Ali G it's the same thing with chavs, but it doesn't come off so well in regards to American culture. But comedy is not bound by PC, nor should it be.

On the other hand I do think that he's funny in an absurd and slapstick way and it does show the endearing side of human nature in the people that are able to tolerate him, wheras I think most of us would have a hard time not punching him in the face.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I liked Ali G. That was funny shit. Borat, not so much.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

Fuck Cohen... fuck Borat... fuck Bruno... fuck whatever the man decides to do next, plus whatever he's done in the past. I tried to appreciate it, and I just can't. PARTS of Borat were chuckle-able... but to even find those, I had to watch a naked skinny man roll around on the floor with his nose up a naked fat man's ass?!?

I can find humor of greater sophistication on the bottom of my shoe.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

If I put my intellectual hat on, I dislike the fact that he never owns his own behavior. He always puts up the notion that, if you like what he is doing, that is great, and, if you do not like what he is doing, you should have a sense of humor because it is just a character and not really him. He asks the world to love him while not actually giving one tiny shred of himself in true form as an artist. Everybody plays roles in life -- child, parent, student, teacher, lover, artist, welder, clerk, plumber, cop, criminal, judge, aunt, uncle, whatever -- and most people sometimes feel that others do not truly see them because their view is limited by the role one is required to fill with a particular audience. But Cohen never owns any part of who he is. He never stands up and says, "this is me", even in some small part, and he is never willing to stand up and be counted for who he actually is, whatever that might actually be. Someone who is so terrified of himself has no license to discomfit others and his humor as such appears to be mostly based on discomfiting others.

Also, on some deep primal level, way beyond reason, I just viscerally react negatively to the guy. I know a lot of people respond to others, particularly celebs, this way and I almost never do. I will like or dislike someone based primarily on what they create, what they have to say, who they seem to be, but it is usually 100% based on analysis. I think Cohen's refusal to be who he is in what he creates probably somewhat accounts for the disgust he raises in me, but I seriously am even grossed out by just the billboards around LA for his latest fake ass character piece.

And I'll have to also reiterate what most folks here have said as well and say that I also just do not find him funny and I do think he takes stereotyping bigotry to the bank and that is just icky.

and the porridge was just

how about we watch the show and not any of the movies

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

He could be funny, but he just takes it a bit (lot) further than neccassery............for me anyway

V Echoes's Avatar Junior Member

I giggled a bit at Borat, but to me it seems like another high strung comedian is milking a gig for all it is worth. Who knows if Betsy is already dry. Bruno may be it. Taking on a different persona is all fine and dandy but when you take it as far as Sacha does, there is only so far you can really go before it's dragging ass and suddenly everyone just wants you to die. (Why is it that when things get to that point, someone gives those people MORE money and they keep making movies? Who are these evil people?)

I laughed at his antics on his show and I really enjoyed Sacha in an actual actor's role, such as in Sweeney Todd.

It seems like a lot of the stuff in the new movie is staged and not real candid reactions, which were probably more so in Borat because people didn't know who he was. that's kinda lame.

But I do want to see the movie. I don't really have anything better to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    It seems like a lot of the stuff in the new movie is staged and not real candid reactions, which were probably more so in Borat because people didn't know who he was. that's kinda lame.

But I do want to see the movie. I don't really have anything better to do.
    yeah, I might go see it too or wait until i can see it online/tv for free.

I just saw it, it's pretty funny.

If you are uncomfortable with penis, then you're going to have a fun time.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I just saw it, it's pretty funny.

If you are uncomfortable with penis, then you're going to have a fun time.

That will be the slogan on my new T-shirt:

"I can't stand Sasha Baron Cohen because I do not fear the cock."

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

how long until he goes and makes a 'movie' with uwe bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    That will be the slogan on my new T-shirt:

"I can't stand Sasha Baron Cohen because I do not fear the cock."
    why not just get that tattooed onto your forehead Amelia?

ya know, I actually think this movie is a big win for the gay community. Satire or not, the stuff in this movie could not have been shown in theaters all over the country 20 years ago, so I think it's an accomplishement in breaking down the double-standard of a male sexuality on film.

and I don't really want to give it away... that means Spoiler...

a talking penis is fucking brilliant.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

i didnt bother seeing borat at all.it just didnt look like sometrhing i'd fancy. this one looks to be a bit of a chuckle cus i have friends who are pretty much the jack mcfarlane stereotype gay and kind of remind me of bruno (the character) a bit. as for cohen. meh, i could again take his work or leave it.

I think he pretty much characterises stereotypes not just to show the distaste the stereotypical characters bring to people in reaction to their preconceived opinion of such facet of life or group etc. but also as kind of a mirror in a way to the groups he portrays these nasty stereotypes . because stereotypes do come from somewhere wether we want to accept it or not and it's those stereotypes that people immediately see or think of when they think of a certain group or type of people.

wether that makes him shallow for not portraying himself ever or wrong is more or less to the person viewing his stuff and up to them to figure out why it bothers them. i'm sure he does'nt care if people think he's shallow while he's counting the money he makes off these films and the tv show he had on hbo

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    why not just get that tattooed onto your forehead Amelia?

I worry that it might be a fashion blunder. Ya know, after his fifteen minutes are up and people don't get what my forehead ink is about any more.

I finally saw Bruno. It pretty much sucked. Only a couple mildly funny parts I hadn't already seen in the previews.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

figures.............

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I worry that it might be a fashion blunder. Ya know, after his fifteen minutes are up and people don't get what my forehead ink is about any more.
    Good call. I think pretty much everyone has already forgotten about it.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Got two words....Tom Green. Got another few words...Where is he now?

+ Reply to Thread