• Demonia

3 23.08%
  • Army Surplus

9 69.23%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boots - Which Would You Buy?

Syn~Ammon's Avatar Junior Member

Default Boots - Which Would You Buy?

My old pair of shiny black boots recently bit the dust. (They were Demonia Trashvilles, by the way.) They lasted a year of heavy wear, getting ratty towards the end. Now I need to buy a new pair. I am split between these two:

One by Inamagura:
    http://www.darkboots.com/webshop/ind...oducts_id=8641

and one by Demonia:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/DEMONIA-RIOT-12-Mens-Shoes-Boots-Combat-Black-Size-8_W0QQitemZ400060018958QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Men_s _Shoes?hash=item5d256f710e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_t rkparms=65%3A2|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

They're pretty much the same, really. I don't really want to buy another pair of Demonia boots, because of how quickly the first pair wore out (I expect a lot from my footwear.) But I haven't been able to find any reviews about the Inamagura brand, so I have no way of knowing if they're any better. If it's true that you get what you pay for, which I normally believe, they should be. Or maybe the Demonias wore out within a year because they were platforms, as opposed to flat? (Flat shoes, the soles are sewn on; platforms are just glued.)

So what do you guys think? Or should I just go to the army surplus store, instead?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Boots - Which Would You Buy?

I wear work boots, they last a lot longer

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Why don't you just buy them all?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I'm a fan of either basic Army surplus or tricked out New Rocks.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

From the guy that's been being issued Army boots for 4 years now:

Go to the Army surplus. They should have all-leather boots, jungle boots (the ones with one piece of fabric over the heel of both sides) and better yet for the awesomeness look, Tanker boots that, instead of laces, have straps. Surplus stores should have black leather still, instead of the gaytarded desert suade shit they issue now.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I like Pennangalans, they've got the best styles.

I love my combat boots, they are so comfortable even if it takes me awhile to put them on. I was so surprised to find them at the army surplus store considering I'm a men's size 2. They're not as cool looking as some of the gothic/industrial stuff you can find on the internet but are much cheaper and will last a long time.

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

My Pennangalans have lasted really well, and I wear the shit out of them.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

I like Grinders. Have had them for 4 years and wear them every day including when I was welding and dog grooming. They still look practically new.

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    Why don't you just buy them all?
    I don't have the money.. v.v

Army Surplus. I have one pair I got from there that is getting pretty beat up..but I've worn them almost constantly for 3 years. Thats working, clubbing and using them as my main SCA foot wear.

What's better, is I still have original issue all leathers and other black boots I didn't even have to pay for. I really don't care for these dessert boots.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey
    What's better, is I still have original issue all leathers and other black boots I didn't even have to pay for. I really don't care for these dessert boots.
    I'm pretty sure risking your life in Iraq paid for them.

Demonias are notoriously short lived. Wouldn't expect better from them the next time around; they're good for people that want something to wear goth-clubbing a few times a year and little more.

I like New Rocks, personally. Footwear's the only thing I'll spend that much money on - it's not something I can easily learn to make myself and really needs lots of utility as well as aesthetic. New Rocks walk well, last for ages and (sometimes) look awesome, and good quality leather is always a great base for modifications and decorations of your own. Army Surplus sounds like a good alternative, but you don't get much of that in the Netherlands.

ETA: Real leather can always be made black with cheapass leatherdye-shoepolish. Go for the lame desert colors if you're out of black options, or salvage a pair you don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    I'm pretty sure risking your life in Iraq paid for them.
    Not really, I got issued the desert ones right before my first deployment.

Oh, and really you can't go wrong with old tanker boots. They're the ones with the straps instead of laces. Jungle boots have the solid strand of nylon going up each side and usually the cooler looking ripple soles, and all leather jump boots look badass too. All of which you can find at a surplus store for no more than 60 bucks, new.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

I jut bought a pair of Thorogoods a couple weeks ago. Since then I've kicked te shit out of them at a couple concerts and they still look brand new once I washed the mud off:

Nice jump boots. I prefer Corcoran though.

FedorasBox's Avatar Member

I know this is about boots, but I love my Demonia ballet flats. I buy a new pair every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    Demonias are notoriously short lived. Wouldn't expect better from them the next time around; they're good for people that want something to wear goth-clubbing a few times a year and little more.

I like New Rocks, personally. Footwear's the only thing I'll spend that much money on - it's not something I can easily learn to make myself and really needs lots of utility as well as aesthetic. New Rocks walk well, last for ages and (sometimes) look awesome, and good quality leather is always a great base for modifications and decorations of your own. Army Surplus sounds like a good alternative, but you don't get much of that in the Netherlands.

ETA: Real leather can always be made black with cheapass leatherdye-shoepolish. Go for the lame desert colors if you're out of black options, or salvage a pair you don't like.
    I knew Demonia's reputation when I bought them, but they were the first pair of boots I bought online, so I figured I'd give it a shot. They looked nice while they lasted.

New Rock is too expensive for me, unfortunately. They do look nice though. That might be a good thing.

Oooh, that's true, too.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

I've had my new rocks for a long while now and the things have been to hell and back and still are some of the best boots I've ever owned. When all else fails a pair of black work boots will last as long as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn~Ammon
    I knew Demonia's reputation when I bought them, but they were the first pair of boots I bought online, so I figured I'd give it a shot. They looked nice while they lasted.

New Rock is too expensive for me, unfortunately. They do look nice though. That might be a good thing.

Oooh, that's true, too.
    Could try ebay, or ask around gothy social circles if anybody's got a second hand pair your size - I've seen them in thriftshops before, even. Anything that's been normally used for less than five, six years is still going to outlast a new pair of Demonias.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

my old Dr. Martin's boots are still in good shape.

but they are shit now that they are made by nike, or whoever.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    my old Dr. Martin's boots are still in good shape.

but they are shit now that they are made by nike, or whoever.
    wait, what? they got bought out? that is most horrible. as i have worn them for most of my life since junior high.

I wear the desert version of these. They feel like running shoes. Also great for bikes. These are the Converse ones, but the ones by Magnum and Oakley are pretty much the same.

You can look online in a lot of places to find military/law enforcement boots. They usually cost a bit more, but at least they're new.

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    wait, what? they got bought out? that is most horrible. as i have worn them for most of my life since junior high.
    well, I guess they didn't change ownership but in like 2003 or something they stopped making them in England and started making them in China and using cheaper materials. But now on their website they offer a "vintage" line where you can get the originals still.

Apparently in 2000 they started making them animal-friendly (non-leather), but have since done away with that as well. Didn't know that, it's pretty cool. Not sure if that goes with the new "vintage" ones.

I was thinking of Converse which were bought by Nike in 2003 and also outsourced to China, and also suck now and cost more and are lower quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    Could try ebay, or ask around gothy social circles if anybody's got a second hand pair your size - I've seen them in thriftshops before, even. Anything that's been normally used for less than five, six years is still going to outlast a new pair of Demonias.
    Ebay is generally where I buy things, online. And I live in Halifax (on the edge of Canada). I highly doubt I'll be able to find good used boots.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey

I wear the desert version of these. They feel like running shoes. Also great for bikes. These are the Converse ones, but the ones by Magnum and Oakley are pretty much the same.

You can look online in a lot of places to find military/law enforcement boots. They usually cost a bit more, but at least they're new.
    I've worn 2 pairs of Magnums in my life and will never buy them again. Those things fall apart within weeks.

I thought that Oakley made sunglasses and Magnum made condoms. Who knew?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...SELL_THUMBNAIL

Snakeproof waterproof hunting boots.

ha i love mine boots. I got the like awhile ago from Hot Topic, i rarely wear them. They are from the brand called nana

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I have to get a new pair of workboots every time it gets harder to find ones I like out of whats new.........what was ever wrong with the old ones?

I've had my eye on a pair of New Rocks for a while, but I haven't had the spare $$ yet.

+ Reply to Thread