+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Twilight

YoungSoulRebel's Avatar Dexys Midnight Blunder

Default Re: Twilight

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G View Post
    ...and a solid storyline with no plot holes ...
    Actually, I'm surprised I've yet to see anybody, anywhere, call this one out:

Watch Twilight and then watch New Moon. First film, James ("evil white vampire" -- sorry fans, but that character is so unmemorable I had to look up his name) is "tracking" Bella, and it's implied all over the place that this is an ability enhanced supernaturally -- it's also established that Edward can't read Bella's thoughts.

Second film, the Volturi(sp?) establishes that Bella is somehow immune to all vampire powers, and that this will be enhanced if the Cullens turn Bella. She's immune to Edward reading her thoughts, immune to Alo reading her past, immune to Jane's psychic pain.

So, yes... She's immune to "all" vampire powers, but can be easily (very easily) tracked by a vampire with a supernatural tracking ability? As best as I can tell, the books pretty much ignore how well James was able to track her after he dies. That's not good writing; it would be adequate if it was something that could easily be worked as something other characters may lack knowledge of, it's even understandable that Alice can see Bella's future, because that so rarely has an immediate effect on the actual outcome, but the Cullens knew how well James was tracking Bella.

It's also established by the second film that Jasper can affect Bella's emotions, another contradiction to Bella's "immunity shield", though that's a little more forgivable, as SMeyers also manages to establish that Bella is aware when Jasper is doing it -- it's less a complete contradiction of Bella's "immunity shield" than how well James is able to track her down.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigeyboo View Post
    Never read the books, but I saw a small bit of the movie and did not approve...vampires don't sparkle they bubble and die in the sun.
    Only since 1921. Go read Dracula (1897); he can venture out into daylight just fine, but at reduced powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G View Post
    People sometimes think I am doing this, but, alas, I'm not. Although admittedly Robert Pattinson doesn't really move me.
    Pattinson is pretty hot. His shirt off in New Moon set my junk all a-tingle.

Is he the guy on all the posters? The main would-be vamp character?

He's the worst vampire ever; completely plain with that horrible brownish greyish blondish hair that every white guy in the world seems to have, in no particular haircut, big eyebrows and a poor sense of dress... There's nothing dark, stylish or refined about about him. He could be right out on Nsync or someshit.

Mundanes shouldn't be allowed to do wardrobe for non-human characters. Our species' collective sense of tedium is bad enough without projecting it on others, too.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

If vampires were real..................they'd be with the most abundant food sources or the biggest herds....

I've never understood why certain groups of people seem to think that if vampires were real they'd choose to be like them.....well they wouldn't, one of the first rules about farming is don't get attached to the livestock.

Vampires are a tool for making money.....they aren't real so they can't come out and say "that's not the way it is".

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl View Post
    Vampires are a tool for making money.....they aren't real so they can't come out and say "that's not the way it is".
    i miss back when we used to have "real vampyres" that posted alot and would actually come along to tell us "how it really is."

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

except they were in general vampires with a 'y'.........different species, I think...

but yeah I'd forgotten about them...................................I miss 'em too...

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

yeah, like a real vampyre's biggest worry nowadays is how to correctly spell the word vampire. i guess if you were immortal though, you would have a long time to think about it, along with many other things.

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

Friends made this

I can't stand Twilight- only got half way through the movie without finally losing my patience. I've neve read the books, however Edward seems to be most AWKWARD fuck ever. So stifled and a tad creepy. He fails as a vampire. What girl would honestly put up with the whole "I'm watching you sleep...." thing?

Real vampires burn.

Count Orlock would mop the floor with Eddies ass :P

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I didn't really want to participate in this thread but I came across this-http://www.lunch.com/TheVampireHisto..._Dracula_.html online the other day. The author said, "Originally, I had wanted to give a proper lesson to all the "Twilight" fans on what vampires are really about, but it sort of evolved from that into an essay on history and mythology."
    Anyway, it's a pretty good read and pretty much sums things up.
    I'm leaving now, I don't want to talk about fucking Twilight.

godlessgoth's Avatar Junior Member

i have seen the movies but have not read the books. I don't much care for 90210 vampires as my brother calls it. True Blood i prefer more. Can't really get into the books. Dresden Files Vampires are better. Red Court black Court white and jade courts seem a bit more interesting.

badkittyamy's Avatar Crazy Art Kitten

I have yet to understand why a shitty nearly stalkerish bordering on abusive relationship is supposed to be hot. Also oh real good going ruining the entire premise of they can't be together and he doesn't want to turn her into a vampire in the last book where they...
    SPOILER
    get together she gets PREGNANT and she's turned into a vampire. Oh and then the werewolf falls in love with the newborn... yeah and this is not complete crap how? I could write entire essays on the plot holes in Twilight not counting the logical fallacies. I've seen dime romance novels with better writing than twilight. Let's not talk about the movies, the shots, the direction the post production and the animation... by GOD the animation is atrocious.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Snape kills Dumbledore!

breakit's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by YoungSoulRebel View Post
    Pattinson is pretty hot. His shirt off in New Moon set my junk all a-tingle.
    His face is...unjustifiably weird. He was pretty okay in Harry Potter. (THIS IS EMBARRASSING TO ADMIT)

Quote Originally Posted by a_small_death View Post
    If you wanna see a good vampire movie, "Let the right one in" will be worth your night.
    Oh man, so happy to see this here on my first evening back on this board.... My favorite movie that I have seen this year. NOTHING like Twilight. Dark in all the RIGHT ways, i.e. ways that actually reflect HUMAN nature, which is what a good vampire story does.

juggalo08332's Avatar Junior Member

twlight was boring to me. they are making a movie just to make fun of it call vampires suck. i love vampires but not twlight.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungSoulRebel View Post
    So, yes... She's immune to "all" vampire powers, but can be easily (very easily) tracked by a vampire with a supernatural tracking ability? As best as I can tell, the books pretty much ignore how well James was able to track her after he dies. That's not good writing; it would be adequate if it was something that could easily be worked as something other characters may lack knowledge of, it's even understandable that Alice can see Bella's future, because that so rarely has an immediate effect on the actual outcome, but the Cullens knew how well James was tracking Bella.
    I just watched the first Twilight movie and I don't recall them saying that she was not effected by vampire powers. It only said that Edward couldn't read her mind. The fact that Alice saw her future and other examples you cited seem to attest that she can be effect by other vampire powers.

It also says that Bella has a smell that is irresistible to vampires and that makes Edward want to kill her all the time...why his desire to murder and feast translates into love is a pretty illogical plot point, but it does explain how James was able to track her. This is further demonstrated in the movie when the Cullens wear Bella's clothes that have her sent to mislead James.

breakit's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    I just watched the first Twilight movie
    A] I knew you were going to post about this and
    B] You were paying way too much attention. JUST GET LOST IN THE EMOOOOTION.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Ok, I finally saw the movies, and they were TERRIBLE.

But as far as making money off teenage girls and women who read romance novels, they are pure genius.

The main thing that bothered me is the fact that her and the vampire fall in love almost
    instantly, and for no good reason. Which probably fits perfectly with typical "teen love".
    Across a crowded room, etc. Which makes sense for her to find him attractive,
    but if he's an old vampire, why would he be interested in a teenage girl?
    I just didn't see any basis for their relationship in the first place.
    At least in the 2nd movie they tried to show how her relationship with
    the werewolf guy develops. They show their friendship, etc.

And the rest of the vampire lore and "adventure" stuff in the movies
    is all very simple and not very interesting or exciting. The movies are
    just a lot of talking, romance, more talking, crying, longing, etc...
    I really just can't understand anyone enjoying these movies other
    than teenage girls with a crush on the main actors. If you compare
    these movies with Copola's Dracula, or Interview With A Vampire,
    there is just no comparison. Those movies have so much more
    going on.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight View Post
    If you compare
    these movies with Copola's Dracula...
    going on.
    No way. Kristen Stewart has two different facial expressions, Robert Pattinson has one, and Keanu Reeves has none.

22. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Morning Glory For This Useful Post:

Raza (07-29-2010)
    TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    No way. Kristen Stewart has two different facial expressions, Robert Pattinson has one, and Keanu Reeves has none.
    Good point.

Keanu was the weak point of that movie.
    But I'd still rather re-watch Dracula than have to watch any of the Twilight movies again.

Good point.

Keanu was the weak point of that movie.
    But I'd still rather re-watch Dracula than have to watch any of the Twilight movies again.
    Fo real do.

Ok, I finally saw the movies, and they were TERRIBLE.

But as far as making money off teenage girls and women who read romance novels, they are pure genius.

The main thing that bothered me is the fact that her and the vampire fall in love almost
    instantly, and for no good reason. Which probably fits perfectly with typical "teen love".
    Across a crowded room, etc. Which makes sense for her to find him attractive,
    but if he's an old vampire, why would he be interested in a teenage girl?
    I just didn't see any basis for their relationship in the first place.
    At least in the 2nd movie they tried to show how her relationship with
    the werewolf guy develops. They show their friendship, etc.

And the rest of the vampire lore and "adventure" stuff in the movies
    is all very simple and not very interesting or exciting. The movies are
    just a lot of talking, romance, more talking, crying, longing, etc...
    I really just can't understand anyone enjoying these movies other
    than teenage girls with a crush on the main actors. If you compare
    these movies with Copola's Dracula, or Interview With A Vampire,
    going on.
    I know a lot of old vampires in Hollywood who fall for teenage girls, at least for a while.

+ Reply to Thread