+ Reply to Thread

Thread: should dog-fight guy vick be able to play football?

and your little dog too

Default should dog-fight guy vick be able to play football?

Vick reinstated conditionally, may play by Week 6
    Reuters

By Larry Fine – 17 mins ago

from yahoo

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Quarterback Michael Vick has been reinstated to the NFL on a conditional basis and may be able to play by the sixth week of the regular season, Commissioner Roger Goodell said on Monday.

Vick, who completed a 23-month criminal sentence for bankrolling a dogfighting ring, will be considered for full reinstatement for the October 18-19 games "based on the progress he makes in his transition plan," Goodell said in a statement.

Vick was grateful to be given the chance to play again.

"I would like to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to Commissioner Goodell for allowing me to be readmitted to the National Football League," Vick said in a statement.

"I fully understand that playing football in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, and I am truly thankful for the opportunity I have been given."

Vick, a former number one overall pick in the NFL Draft and a three-times All-Pro, said he had learned from the experience and would continue to receive mentoring from former NFL coach Tony Dungy, who steered the Indianapolis Colts to a Super Bowl title.

"As you can imagine, the last two years have given me time to revaluate my life, mature as an individual and fully understand the terrible mistakes I made in the past and what type of life I must lead moving forward," said Vick.

Vick played six seasons with the Atlanta Falcons but was released by the club following his conviction.

The 29-year-old quarterback is currently a free agent and able to sign with any team. If he signs for a team he will be allowed to practice through the summer and would be able to play in the final two preseason games, the commissioner said.

STEP BY STEP

Goodell told Vick in a letter that the conditional reinstatement, which would allow him to continue practicing with his team until a decision on full reinstatement was made, should not be viewed as punishment.

"This step-by-step approach is not meant to be a further punishment ... it is intended to maximize the prospect that you can successfully resume your career and your life," the commissioner wrote.

"I believe that a transitional approach with a strong network of support will give you the best opportunity to manage effectively the various issues and pressures that you will inevitably face in the coming weeks and months."

Vick had been suspended indefinitely in August 2007 after pleading guilty to federal criminal charges relating to the dogfighting enterprise. He was released from federal custody last Monday and is on probation for three years.

Goodell, who met Vick last Wednesday, laid out the conditions that the quarterback would have to satisfy.

"My decision ... will be based on reports from outside professionals, your probation officer, and others charged with supervising your activities, the quality of your work outside football, the absence of any further adverse involvement in law enforcement, and other concrete actions that you take that are consistent with your representations to me," he said.

"You have submitted to me a written plan concerning your proposed living arrangements, how you will manage your financial affairs, counseling and mentoring plans, and your proposed work with the Humane Society (animal protection organization) and other groups.

"You have committed to me that you intend to abide by this plan, and as I said when we met, you are accountable for doing so."

(Additional reporting by Steve Ginsburg; Editing by Sonia Oxley)

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: should dog-fight guy vick be able to play football?

Unless his criminal charges have to do with his occupation or he is a danger to society, it should have no baring on his job. I believe that your job and your private life are two separate things and your job has no right to tell you what you can do in your off time, including committing crimes, as long as it doesn't effect your work performance or the company.

On the other hand Vick is a piece of shit and no one should watch his games or support any team that he's on- which is your right as a customer.

He is a convicted felon, he has to take whatever job he can get.

Seriously, the NFL is about making money. If Vick is profitable, they bring him back. There are no ethics involved. If he proves to be unprofitable for any reason, he will get dropped regardless of contracts or him honoring the deal.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    Unless his criminal charges have to do with his occupation or he is a danger to society, it should have no baring on his job. I believe that your job and your private life are two separate things and your job has no right to tell you what you can do in your off time, including committing crimes, as long as it doesn't effect your work performance or the company.

On the other hand Vick is a piece of shit and no one should watch his games or support any team that he's on- which is your right as a customer.
    Unless that job puts you into the public eye constantly and gives you celebrity status. If that's the case, and the employee does something stupid, it looks bad on the employer, and in this case, the sport. I'd agree with you if it was just some CPA or dock worker, anything like that, but he's a public figurehead and as such the NFL should be able to (and can) dictate what activities he can do on his own time.

And if he puts in wins, he's profitable, even if people don't like him. The only way he's getting kicked off the team is if he can't perform when he returns.

well maybe we should start putting dead dogs in his bed when he's sleeping and see how that effects his performance?

well maybe we should start putting dead dogs in his bed when he's sleeping and see how that effects his performance?
    That's funny but the man can play ball and it would be a waste for him not to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey
    Unless that job puts you into the public eye constantly and gives you celebrity status. If that's the case, and the employee does something stupid, it looks bad on the employer, and in this case, the sport. I'd agree with you if it was just some CPA or dock worker, anything like that, but he's a public figurehead and as such the NFL should be able to (and can) dictate what activities he can do on his own time.
    Fuck no. 'Represention' is one of society's biggest scams; nobody represents anybody but themselves, and claiming to 'be represented' in the public eye certainly doesn't give you a claim over another individual's freedoms. If they want people to stop holding them accountable for what others do, let them acknowledge and start addressing the problem (humanity's large scale stupidity), not just beat down on the weakest link - especially when that also happens to be a person.

Also, lol @ 'customer rights' being summarised by your ability to not be a customer.

what's funny about that? That's one of the pillars of capitalism.

(Ok, so that one I had trouble saying with a straight face.)

toxicat's Avatar catty member

No, he should be done in, and not by the govt.

Exiled

Default strangers

Once we dreamt that we were strangers.    We wake up to find that we were dear to each other.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

4 posts from a spam-bot....Nice!

Oh...And Michael Vick? Fuck him! I'm so tired of famous people doing the most fucked up things and then, easily, going back into the workplace from which they were shunned. What would happen to normal people in this instance? McDonald's...That's what.

FilthCore's Avatar Junior Member

I know that the NFL does not give a crap about the football player's personal lives. And I know that Vick is profitable, and they take whatever or whover so that they can get money....

BUT SERIOUSLY? People can do less than what he did and get seriously *effed over* for it. I don't like what he did, and I think he should have more punishment then he did.

But, he's famous, and has money. So, I guess he gets special treatment right??

FilthCore's Avatar Junior Member

I AGREE!!! Maybe put him through the same punishment, see how he likes it? Pfft, I hate Vick, so I agree. FUCK HIM and not in a nice way.

avant-gardener

Obviously, the NFL can do what it wants. However, I think letting him play sends a poor message. They are basically saying that poor character isn't a bar to playing, when supposedly character is important to the sport and the league.

What he SHOULD get is a shot to the face.

You know,after some thought.

The NFL can do whatever they want, but the US needs some fair labor laws.

Regular shmoes like you and I can be fired for any reason in the US. Well not any reasons, but the reasons that are excluded can often be bypassed by creating an arbitrary reason.

And, just to prove it is arbitrary, Vick is an unpopular felon and he gets to keep working. How many felons can say that?

I would like to say, "Vick's conviction does not effect his job performance or the well-being of his employers or co-workers. As much as I find what he did reprehensible, it should not be grounds to fire him."

Unfortunately all I can say is, "The NFL plays by their own rules (sometimes) and will keep or hire who they please regardless of what the players do. Even thier hard fast rules get ignored while non celebrity types get fired for arbitrary and cruel reason. And that sucks!"

What a world eh?

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Not just no, but fuck no. Fuck that guy. Seriously. Fuck him in the ass with a big fat cactus or broken glass.

+ Reply to Thread