+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you want the people in heist movies to get the cash?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Do you want the people in heist movies to get the cash?

When I watch heist movies or read crime fiction, I find I am often rooting for the robbers planning the heist to get the cash/jewels/gold/score and I am disappointed if they come to a bad end.

Do you tend to want fictional heist criminals to get their comeuppance or their big score?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: Do you want the people in heist movies to get the cash?

Usually, yes. It depends on their character, but most of the time I feel that the 'crime doesn't pay' morality pasted on the end by taking the rewards away from sympathetic characters seems a little forced and unsatisfying.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Of course, especially in the movies that focus on the detective/whoever trying to stop them. Bad guys need to win sometimes. That movie with Nick Stahl about robbing a bank where he gets trapped in the vault on accident was excellent. I just forgot the name of the movie.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Getting "their's" from a big corporation? Everytime, I root for them!

I almost always am rooting for the heisters.

Depends on the heist, but usually I am pro crime in that regard, especially if it is a clever plan. Inside Man really set the bar. Man I wanted them to win just cause they were so clever.

Vexbeast's Avatar Eat me, I'm nutritious.

The unappreciated ones. Kira in Death Note is constantly regarded as being inferior to someone who applies his logic mostly via plot device...

I'm usually rooting for them to humiliate the cops; collecting money and/or various valuables rarely adds much to the story for me, though.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I always root for people to get way with the heist, and I don't just mean in the movies.

I don't approve of robbing and hurting (physically or emotionally) human beings, but stealing an imaginary object (money) from an imaginary entity (a bank or corporation) is fine by me.

I'm pretty sure that everyone would rob a bank if they thought that they could get away with it, or at least contemplate the idea because they realize that the money would be more valuable to them then it is to the bank.

The bank knows this as well, it's not about the money, it's about preserving the rules of society. If everyone robbed a bank or choose to act outside of the system in their own interests instead of preserving order, then society would collapse. Or so it is thought by people that cannot conceive of any other kind of alternative reality.

In a small way these people are submitting their own reality, and right or wrong, that earns some respect from me.

Of course it's only because it conforms to my own reality and if it caused such similar disruption, then I would feel the same way as the other systematizers- so I don't lack total sympathy. That's just life. These things happen whether I want them to or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I always root for people to get way with the heist, and I don't just mean in the movies.

I don't approve of robbing and hurting (physically or emotionally) human beings, but stealing an imaginary object (money) from an imaginary entity (a bank or corporation) is fine by me.

I'm pretty sure that everyone would rob a bank if they thought that they could get away with it, or at least contemplate the idea because they realize that the money would be more valuable to them then it is to the bank.

The bank knows this as well, it's not about the money, it's about preserving the rules of society. If everyone robbed a bank or choose to act outside of the system in their own interests instead of preserving order, then society would collapse. Or so it is thought by people that cannot conceive of any other kind of alternative reality.

In a small way these people are submitting their own reality, and right or wrong, that earns some respect from me.

Of course it's only because it conforms to my own reality and if it caused such similar disruption, then I would feel the same way as the other systematizers- so I don't lack total sympathy. That's just life. These things happen whether I want them to or not.

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

I love the Oceans movies.

But im 50-50 on this one.
    Depending on the actors and the chemistry during the movie.

+ Reply to Thread