+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleft chins, what the hell?

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Default Cleft chins, what the hell?

You ever notice that nobody has cleft chins anymore? Nobody has those real manly jawlines like they had back in the fifties. Judging from old movies and tv, you couldn't walk ten feet down the road without bumpin' into 6 guys that looked like Captain America. What happened to that? Everybody's some 90 pound scrawny hipster puke that looks like they'd blow away. What the hell happened to manhood in this country?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: What the hell?

In Scottsdale, a lot of the metrosexual guys go get plastic surgery to look like they have cleft chins. Michael Douglas got that surgery to have a stronger jaw and cleft chin. His father Kirk Douglas was famous for his extremely strong jaw and very cleft chin. I know my parents were like, how funny that his father just genetically was like that and Michael Douglas had to buy it, but I wonder if maybe it wasn't just a common movie star operation at the time.

Largely for the aesthetics, I love old 40's and 50's movies with cleft chins and those uber-American accents that nobody has any more and probably nobody outside the silver screen had then. I want to know where those sorta newscaster/sorta gangster/sorta executive man voices went too.

I think I'm gonna have to start talking like that more. Over the last like 5 years or so I've developed a bit of a southern drawl which I find strange since the only time I've spent in the south was an 8 hour layover in Miami and a week long road trip through Virginia

and your little dog too

a cleft chin is genetically determined by a dominant by variable genetic expression. it is basically a failure of the lower jawbone to completely fuse together at the center point but not a problematic one most of the time. most people associate cleft chins with heroes and villains but maybe better prenatal care and nutrition is making cleft chins less common.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

well, back then people were more selective about thier breeding

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Indeed. Honestly, I've never seen my dad clean shaven, so I don't know if he has one. From a picture I saw once, his dad did though... Damn genetics!

I got the right kind of chin, just no cleft in it

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Babies born with cleft chins are euthanized at the FEMA camps

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

My son's got a cleft chin. He's 11. His friends make fun of him and call it his "butt chin". I tell him, "Shit, if you come out half looking like Viggo Mortensen, all the chicks are gonna be hitting on you like crazy, so don't worry about it."

could be worse, you could have no chin., or more than one

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Weird, I was just talking about bum chins the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    Everybody's some 90 pound scrawny hipster puke that looks like they'd blow away. What the hell happened to manhood in this country?
    Really?

All I see are wheezing land whales everywhere I go.

Great big slabs of mammal waddling down the street with abdomens that sway pendulously between their thighs making a bid to scrape the ground...

Manhood?

What the fuck are you? Some dipshit who got brainwashed by a mitchum man deodorant commerical?

Honestly, I thought you were cynical enough to know that all those square jawed he-men of the 50's were a bunch of fucking homos.

They can bang whoever they want as long as they can fix a car and build something worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    They can bang whoever they want as long as they can fix a car and build something worthwhile.
    Shit, I can't even do those things. (I can move heavy shit though.)

But my main point was- Where the hell are all of these 90lbs. hipsters?

Dude you live in Philly right? Home of the cheese steak, don't tell me you see more skinny-mini's than "must carry gut around in wheelbarrow" mother fuckers.

Actually yeah. For most people in Philly, cheeseteaks are some tourist shit. We don't go visit the Liberty Bell every week either.

I eat maybe 6 cheesesteaks a year and those are mostly when I take out of town friends who want to get one.

There's a HUGE hipster scene in Philly. It's a fuckin' infestation.

and the porridge was just

thin people have cleft chins too! technically they are a dominant trait. so eventually everyone is going to have one anyways

Meh, we're better off without 'em. They look pretty horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by KessM
    thin people have cleft chins too! technically they are a dominant trait. so eventually everyone is going to have one anyways
    That's not how it works, I think. Dominant genes don't spread faster, they just show more reliably when they're already there.

Brigeyboo's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Cleft chins, what the hell?

I have one ;3
    It's not hardcore ZOMG CLEFT CHIN. But it's there...Of course I'm not manly...or a man o_O
    Sorry, I never offer anything to the conversation, I just kind of talk haha.

and the porridge was just

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    Meh, we're better off without 'em. They look pretty horrible.

That's not how it works, I think. Dominant genes don't spread faster, they just show more reliably when they're already there.
    2 genes- if only one is for cleft chin you have cleft chin, both for cleft chin, cleft chin. so there are more.
    also a lot of people have them but they arent OMG THATS A CLEFT CHIN because the tissue over the bone can fill it out

There are more visible cleft chins then there would be phenotypic manifestations of a recessive genetic trait for which equally many people have equally many alleles, yes. But that doesn't mean that 'everybody will have one eventually'; the percentage of cleft chins alleles vs non-cleft-chin alleles over time is not affected by dominance, other than perhaps through natural selection when a majority of potential sexual partners finds the trait attractive or repulsive.

Ugh, cleft chins gross me out.

Most of the hipster kids are just young and malnourished. When they get bigger most will fill out their jaw line and body.

Body types seen as desirable have kinda gone towards androgynous it seems. You still have the big, muscly guys but thats too much work for most people.

Work out all the fucking time to get women..or don't eat a lot, get some boxy glasses, a few piercings, wear skinny jeans and listen to horrible music. Sounds easier.

With out culture revolving mostly around video games, tv , eating and other sedentary hobbies you're going to (on the average) have either have very skinny, physically weak/malnourished people or fatties. Just part of what we are today.

theUnclean's Avatar former corporate whore

I just never got the cleft chin thing.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

Quote Originally Posted by Brigeyboo
    I have one ;3
    It's not hardcore ZOMG CLEFT CHIN. But it's there...Of course I'm not manly...or a man o_O
    Sorry, I never offer anything to the conversation, I just kind of talk haha.
    haha, you sound like me.
    yeah, i have a dimple in my chin. everyone thinks it's cute but me >.<

toxicat's Avatar catty member

Quote Originally Posted by soma_stardust View Post
    haha, you sound like me.
    yeah, i have a dimple in my chin. everyone thinks it's cute but me >.<
    Yep, it's cute.

NothinButCult's Avatar Junior Member

Haven't noticed this abscense of cleft....gonna look around at that now and get back to you..haha

+ Reply to Thread