+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lol, Suidakra WTF?!?!

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Default Lol, Suidakra WTF?!?!

Anybody heard of this band? They're a German group that makes what they call "Celtic Melodic Death Metal" and what I call "Comically Bad on a Truely Epic Scale".

What lyrics I can actually make out all seem to be about real-life battles. Not battles that actually happened mind you, but battles that don't involve goblins and dragons and whatnot. So I actually have to give them points for that over most metal bands.

But these guys are like what Dethklok would be if they were supposed to be taken seriously and taking themselves seriously as well. They're without a doubt talented musicians, as evidenced in the instrumental, "Ar Nasc Fola." No, I didn't just have a laughing fit and slam my face on the keyboard, all of their songs seem to be named in Gaelic, so they could be called "Rockwulf Doesn't Get The Joke" for all I know, which would actually be pretty awesome now that I think about it.

There is the main singer who is "TOTALLY METAL! (c) " but every once in a while the other band members chime in and the sound of this had the same effect on me as if Spinal Tap or Tenacious D jumped on the chorus. I couldn't stop laughing.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Default Re: Lol, Suidakra WTF?!?!

One of the best examples of the goofyness. The rest of the band comes in around the 2:00 mark:

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

The lead vocals sound almost like Lemmy Kilmister. Yeah, rest of the band though....

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

they sound like a pretty generic metal band to me. Other than the traditional german folk music that they are trying to play off, which really isn't that bad actually... I kinda like that sort of thing, so I don't mind seeing it. something different. There are much nerdier bands out there.

You're telling me that these guys are lamer than say, Rammstein? come on now.

check this out for nerdy fantasy epic metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j893OnQrd6w

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

that's kind of what a lot of metals like these days...........................GET OFF THE FUCKING STAGE!!

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

There seems to be alot of these "fantasy metal" bands out there now. They're mostly all from Europe, so I guess someone in Europe likes it. In America though? Yeah...Don't see this taking off. I'm half expecting Frodo Baggins to pop out on stage and do a solo.

Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of Elven Brew.

yeah, the thing about metal is that it's really dumb and no one takes it seriously anyway, except for losers... so it might as well be fun and funny.

I'm not saying that I don't like it, cuz I do. But i'm not a pretentious snob about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    yeah, the thing about metal is that it's really dumb and no one takes it seriously anyway, except for losers... so it might as well be fun and funny.

I'm not saying that I don't like it, cuz I do. But i'm not a pretentious snob about it.

***yeah, the thing about metal is that it's really dumb and no one takes it seriously***

Ummm.....Actually alot of people take it serious, at least in so far, that if you're into metal, you're not gonna just like any band that plays metal...And to stereotype the whole genre as dumb....I think you DO come off pretty snobbish against heavy metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    ***yeah, the thing about metal is that it's really dumb and no one takes it seriously***

Ummm.....Actually alot of people take it serious, at least in so far, that if you're into metal, you're not gonna just like any band that plays metal...And to stereotype the whole genre as dumb....I think you DO come off pretty snobbish against heavy metal.
    He meant the kind of snobbish you just did.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    He meant the kind of snobbish you just did.
    Duh. I know. I said he came off as pretty snobbish against heavy metal. Saying that he likes it, but it's all really dumb, is condescending to the genre. I didn't call him a pretentious snob. I said he was snobbish. But thanks for trying to make a half smart guy like me understand.

I know what you meant. I just thought it was funny that you demonstrated what he's distantiating himself from even as you do the same to him. Kinda like cyclical irony.

Yeah, you're right. Almost like what you and I doing on the "alt life" thread. Both acting like we don't generalize people, but we were both describing each other in generalizations. That is funny.

Of course it's dumb. Have you seen Spinal Tap? that's the whole point of the movie.

Having long hair and singing about Satan is dumb. Screaming and playing as fast as you can is dumb. Painting your face and naming your band after Lord of the Rings is really dumb...

But dumb doesn't always mean bad. We should not demand that everything meets the criteria of art or intellectual stimulation, it's just as important to do things that are silly and pointless just because they are fun and we enjoy them. That's what metal is about to me. I think to judge it only on it's aesthetics is actually to reduce it's real spirit and that is the dumbest thing of all.

Metal to me is something totally different. It's about total aggression. For me, listening to something with a heavy sound, a kick-ass catchy riff, and usually someone who's singing like they ate from a box of razors, just makes me "unwind". Gets out all the bullshit that builds up from the daily grind. To me, the last thing I worry about is the aesthetics of the group. I could give a shit. Aesthetics don't mean shit if the music blows.

The truth is, a music genre is going to be different to every person listening to it, but, in all, you should never call a whole genre "dumb" because that's what it is to you. Mainly because, to others, it's anything but. I don't like country, rap, electronica, pop, and Hell, alot of different kinds of metal, but I realize that just because I don't like them, doesn't make the music "dumb". Sometimes...Ridiculous...Yes... for certain bands out there...But "dumb" as an entire genre? Never.

Spinal tap, Beavis and Butthead, Ect. are farces. I respect them as much, but at the same time, they're stereotypes...And the only thing stereotypes do in the end is create a certain prejudice that is incorrect. Not all metalheads are a bunch of stoner morons or morons in general, yet that's how they're stereotyped. Hence....That music is "dumb".

V Echoes's Avatar Junior Member

This takes me back to a conversation a friend of mine were having about heavy metal accordion player. I want to see a heavy metal piccolo player..

+ Reply to Thread