+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Apparently george bush has already won.

Default Apparently george bush has already won.

On the news, it just said he has almost all of the electoral college votes, which means that bush is almost certainly going to be the president again.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Apparently george bush has already won.

All? That's impossible...

I wouldn't believe all you see on the news dude...you probably saw a report based on some poll...and even then I'd be suspect of it.

and your little dog too

the news reports polls. An election in a free country is not over until the election is over. It is not decided because some bought and paid for newscaster announces that it is decided. I have heard many people express that they thought reporting polls was irresponsible. I previously thought it was stupid for them to report nonfactual information but not irresponsible because I thought no one would believe something that stupid. You are the first person I have come across who is actually gullible enough to fall for it. It is your right as an American to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    All? That's impossible...

I wouldn't believe all you see on the news dude...you probably saw a report based on some poll...and even then I'd be suspect of it.
    They didnt say all. they said (Almost All) .

They could still change their votes, but if it is the way they are at now, then bush will definitely be re-elected.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    They didnt say all. they said (Almost All) .

They could still change their votes, but if it is the way they are at now, then bush will definitely be re-elected.
    You have any idea how many "almost all" is? Read up on the Electoral College dude...you have a very misguided view of what it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by karyn
    the news reports polls. An election in a free country is not over until the election is over. It is not decided because some bought and paid for newscaster announces that it is decided. I have heard many people express that they thought reporting polls was irresponsible. I previously thought it was stupid for them to report nonfactual information but not irresponsible because I thought no one would believe something that stupid. You are the first person I have come across who is actually gullible enough to fall for it. It is your right as an American to vote.
    Didnt say I believed it. I just posted it because I thought it would possibly be an interesting topic, and and update of what the news around here is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    You have any idea how many "almost all" is? Read up on the Electoral College dude...you have a very misguided view of what it actually is.
    I know what it is. I am just quoting what the news had said.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Actually, I'd have to agree with a lot of what you said Karyn. I don't think anyone could seriously make the argument that reporting results prior to the close of voting didn't have any effect on people's motivation to vote. We have a hard enough time getting everyone out to the polls as it is. News used to be about facts and things that actually happened. Ok, sure, some Sunday afternoon pundit shows could get into the realm of speculation and pollstering, much like a newspaper columnist might, but the news is supposed to be about facts. The idea that they color a state when less than 3% of the votes have been reported, often by unreliable exit polls even, it total nonsense, and to my way of thinking, should be a crime against one's country.

Anyone who ran any kind of controlled psych test on a mock election would realize that announcing the results prior to close could change the results. Therefore, I feel that the supposedly responsible news corporations should be held responsible for the election tampering that they are obviously doing.

This is not a partisan issue to me, it's just a huge flaw in the system.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack

Anyone who ran any kind of controlled psych test on a mock election would realize that announcing the results prior to close could change the results. Therefore, I feel that the supposedly responsible news corporations should be held responsible for the election tampering that they are obviously doing.

This is not a partisan issue to me, it's just a huge flaw in the system.
    They'd hide behind the 1st amendment and argue all they are doing is fostering healthy debate...what they get away with now is seriously boardering on mass manipulation as opposed to mass media...but with major news controlled by corporations who want to see a profit from these channels not actual truth...their is little chance of anythign changing.

Like the Bush war records that were found...CBS says they are the real deal...outside experts say they are not due to various innacuracies found on them ranging from format to fonts found in that era...Who is actually telling the truth? both sides have "experts" and "valued supporters"...the whole story screams of partisan tactics and politics...only hidden behind journalism since "journalists never lie cause their whole profession is about truth"... it seems news and entertianment are one in the same these days.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

yeah fox news does that crap all the time thats how the whole florida thing got started it was because fox news published non-exixstant election results

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    yeah fox news does that crap all the time thats how the whole florida thing got started it was because fox news published non-exixstant election results
    Brightstar is in Florida, so I guess they started early...

yeah figures...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

um. yeah. it's pretty obvious which way florida is going to side. look who thier governor is. you don't need to bother voting.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Besides.......... the people that actually respond to those polls do it voluntarily usually it's something that they have a strong opinion about, besides, if the poll was on Fox then it would say that Republicans are going to kick the shit out of the Democrats............ best advice, wait until the VP debates, that usually determines who will probably win........... for example, Gore wiped the fucking floor with Dan Quayle back in 92 and Cheney beat Lieberman in the 2000 debates....... any political analyst worth anything waits until the VP debates.......

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    um. yeah. it's pretty obvious which way florida is going to side. look who thier governor is. you don't need to bother voting.

Kansas has a Democrat governor......... but we usually vote republican........... whoever's in charge of the state doesn't mean shit

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    Kansas has a Democrat governor......... but we usually vote republican........... whoever's in charge of the state doesn't mean shit
    yeah kentucky had the same for awhile to and gore actually won in fla last time but of course bush bought the election.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory

have hope still if you're in florida. I do not believe Bush will win the state this time. Hell he didn't win it in 2000. Although the "official" recount gave it to GW by 537, this recount only included the counties where Gore contested the count. A few months after W's inaguration several media organizations did a recount of ALL the counties and Gore came ahead by a couple thousand votes.

Also the voter purge which disproportionately disenfranchised black voters in 2000 has been ruled illegal by the courts this time around and will not occur. The heavily republican-leaning cuban community will also not likely be as big of a factor this year as in 2000 (remember elian gonzalez?) Bush has strengthened sanctions against Cuba which has alienated many cuban-americans who are increasingly younger and more liberal.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I have to say what Forrest and Karyn said are where my steiments lay about america politics and the media, unfortuneatley in Canada are media is starting to go the same way. I think the thing is though that Bright Star isn't the only one to be subject to fall victim to these things, people who aggresivley want to obtain the truth and the correct answers are a minority in the free world....

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

why did I say free? for fucksakes....WTF was I thinking free? christ the media has us by our balls and we don't even know it at times....hence why the people who aggresively search for the truth and the right answers is one hell of a minority....

Quote Originally Posted by CPRB
    I have to say what Forrest and Karyn said are where my steiments lay about america politics and the media, unfortuneatley in Canada are media is starting to go the same way. I think the thing is though that Bright Star isn't the only one to be subject to fall victim to these things, people who aggresivley want to obtain the truth and the correct answers are a minority in the free world....
    Again, I never said that I believed that.
    I said befofre that I was quoting what they said on the news in this area .

They said that bush has the majority of the electoral college votes.

I said: If that was the case, then that means that bush is almost garunteed victory.

+ Reply to Thread