+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: What do you think of the ban on certain types of guns being lifted?

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: What do you think of the ban on certain types of guns being lifted?

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    You can't own an AK-47 legally...you can own the civilian model of it..and the practicality is the same as owning a fast sports car or modifing an import car to go well beyond "Street Legal". Some get off on driving fast...others get off on shooting weapons like say a .50 cal sniper rifle (which IS legal to own in some states).

Just cause you don't see the practicality in something does not mean it has no practicality. I mean if you want to go down this train of thought then unsafe sex would be far more dangerous to the general public as does heavy drug use...look at the statistics in another post..you will see gun related violence has gone WAY down since the early 90's.....
    Actually you can own an AK-47 the civilian model is just one where a spring is missing from the firing mechanism so it is incapable of automatic fire and its very easy to replace then you break off the peice that keeps the selector switch locked in the semi auto psistion oh and pleas give me one practical reason for having one of theese aside from robbing a bank (for which they are very practical)

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Different people will do the wrong thing in different circumstances. Some people who would like to brutalize those around them restrain themselves out of fear of what someone defending themselves might do in response.

There are plenty of situations in which two people together could kill a baker's dozen of other people, with or without a gun. Maybe it would take a different pair of people, but different situations create different villains.

It is reasonable to be horrified at what Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris did, but an entire nation should not change its basic structure based on the actions of two poor miserable lunatic children whose teachers, parents, and doctor failed them.

These children were routinely tormented by their classmates and teachers were well aware of this and failed to stop it. They turned in writing assignments in school which were textbook cries for help.

When people have children, they should pay a little attention to what is going on with them. My parents were not perfect, but I'm damn sure a pal and I could not have constructed a plan to shoot up my school without my parents putting a stop to it. And I had diplomatic immunity, so I would not have even have had jail as a deterrent.

When Eric Harris, an obviously disturbed child went for psychiatric treatment, he was prescribed medication not approved for people with his sort of problem and not really accepted for use on children at all. Many child psychiatrists are opposed to any SSRI antidepressants being used on children as children are much more likely than adults to respond with manic psychosis and aggression and, to a less problematic extent, alienation, agitation, irritability, and loss of empathy or creation of inappropriate affect.

There was already a law against kids buying guns. The horror show in Columbine was not because of lax gun laws. It was because the grotesque neglect of all of the adults surrounding the disaster.

Littleton needs better teachers, parents, and doctors in order to have better kids who do not torture and even murder each other. Stricter gun laws will not decrease man's inhumanity to man there.
    Amelia - check out that communitarian link I gave..it goes into detail and addresses much of what you say..I am a semi-communitarian btw- a new centrist philosophy that avoids extremes of both left and right wing..
    I will now spend my precious BB time on the great sexy links you have provided..thanx-P.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by pedar
    Amelia - check out that communitarian link I gave..it goes into detail and addresses much of what you say..I am a semi-communitarian btw- a new centrist philosophy that avoids extremes of both left and right wing..
    I will now spend my precious BB time on the great sexy links you have provided..thanx-P.
    Uhm, pedar, I really wish that you would engage fully in the conversations you participate in. Don't answer my carefully thought out and explained views with a suggestion to go to some media source you have ingested. If the site or TV show or newspaper you came across was so convincing, you should have absorbed enough of the information to be able to make a convincing point yourself. If you feel like what you read was convincing but you have not retained any of the convincing information, then chances are you are just responding to catchphrases and not really thinking out your opinion.

I want to promote intelligent discourse in the Blue Blood Community and not just have people chanting slogans.

Uhm, pedar, I really wish that you would engage fully in the conversations you participate in. Don't answer my carefully thought out and explained views with a suggestion to go to some media source you have ingested. If the site or TV show or newspaper you came across was so convincing, you should have absorbed enough of the information to be able to make a convincing point yourself. If you feel like what you read was convincing but you have not retained any of the convincing information, then chances are you are just responding to catchphrases and not really thinking out your opinion.

I want to promote intelligent discourse in the Blue Blood Community and not just have people chanting slogans.
    given that I don't have 20 hours to retype other's articles..it's a way to save time..why don't you go there and READ what they say..ok?
    It goes through all of the anti-gunlaw arguments..
    If you think I'm breaking your rules..kick me off BB okay...? Is Tequila Zaire is an example of 'thinking out your opinion'? Are you fucking serious? P.

given that I don't have 20 hours to retype other's articles..it's a way to save time..why don't you go there and READ what they say..ok?
    If you think I'm breaking your rules..kick me off BB okay...? Is Tequila Zaire is an example of 'thinking out your opinion'? Are you fucking serious? P.
    Hey, that was your 666th post.

You do not have to agree with Tequila Zaire in order to participate in this thread. But, come on, you claim to be a professional writer and you also claim not to be able to summarize the salient points of something you feel passionate about???

You are not going to change anyone's mind by assigning 20 hours of reading for homework. Unless your opinions are truly not your own, you should be able to hit the high points succinctly.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

The Columbine kids also had 2 giant propane tanks, that they bought at Wal-Mark, rigged to blow up in the school cafeteria. It was just luck that they did not go off, but if they had, they would have killed hundreds, not a handful. And all with legally obtained materials. Hell, they could have killed a lot of their classmates just by setting the school on fire or something, and wedging all the doors closed. If someone wants to kill people, they can make explosives from fertilizer, make car bombs, pipe bombs, and use any number of lethal methods to kill a lot of people. Gasoline is cheap. How about a whole truck full of barrels of gasoline, driven into the gym or something? Are you going to ban gasoline? Come on... It is impossible to ban all dangerous weapons. People seem capable of murder and genocide on a gigantic scale in Africa, using only machettes. They don't seem to need guns. It's all about the people, and the culture. If you say we are a violent culture, you are right. If you say people do not use intelligent methods to resolve their problems, you are right. But banning assault rifles will not solve those problems. If you ban all guns, you will just see more angry individuals like Timothy McVeigh, bombing things, with commonly available materials. You can't ban gas, fertilizer, etc... But you can work on fixing the problems that cause people to hate life, hate other people, and look at the reasons that people feel like they have no other option to deal with their greivances with people.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

::Sighs: Once again, and again I am accused of not understanding the point ... allow me to make it clear then: I understand your points completely, I just don't agree with them. There's a difference. Your
    air(ogance) of superiority does not compliment you. The notion that simply because someone's ethics, values, or logic isn't the same as yours, that it is founded on ignorance or nonsense is purely childish. I do however, take contest with some of these points because they are purely hypocritical. You advocate greed and violence, while claiming to do so in defense against those very same qualities which you claim as wrong and bad when they are demonstrated by someone else other than yourself.

(This post is not directed at one person, but to the general responses I've seen from my critics.)

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Pedar, we're not interested in kicking you off for debating poorly. You are entitled to your opinion. Amelia has never had to kick anyone out of this community, and the only person I have ever given the boot was your referral 'Fag Soldier' and that was because all they posted was tons of inexplicable scat focused homosexual military ****/force fantasies in totally random threads, many outside the adult area. They were not even presented totally as fantasies either, the character was acting like this obvious fiction was their supposedly real life. Their antics were clearly designed to be destructive, so they had to go. However, if you are participating here, I think you should be able to write your opinion here without just pointing to other people's words outside the community instead.

We clearly don't mind a diversity of opinion.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    Actually you can own an AK-47 the civilian model is just one where a spring is missing from the firing mechanism so it is incapable of automatic fire and its very easy to replace then you break off the peice that keeps the selector switch locked in the semi auto psistion oh and pleas give me one practical reason for having one of theese aside from robbing a bank (for which they are very practical)
    Sport shooting.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Judging from your comments here and your remarks on the Islam thread..you're not somebody I for one can discuss things with..good luck with your blood pressure..
    P.
    That's passion my friend...passion...without it what's the real point of all this?

As far as my comments on the Islam thread go...I was more than fair about it...

Hey, that was your 666th post.

You do not have to agree with Tequila Zaire in order to participate in this thread. But, come on, you claim to be a professional writer and you also claim not to be able to summarize the salient points of something you feel passionate about???

You are not going to change anyone's mind by assigning 20 hours of reading for homework. Unless your opinions are truly not your own, you should be able to hit the high points succinctly.
    Dear girl-you say it your self: I'm not going to change your mind.thank you for making my point.
    If you read my posts last night I did my fair share of sumarizing..(btw I don't claim to be a published writer, I am..care for some links?)--I think you are afraid to click those links because they present facts..which all opinions must be based on..
    let me answer Forrest as well..P.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Dear girl-you say it your self: I'm not going to change your mind.thank you for making my point.
    If you read my posts last night I did my fair share of sumarizing..(btw I don't claim to be a published writer, I am..care for some links?)--I think you are afraid to click those links because they present facts..which all opinions must be based on..
    I don't see you clicking on the other links posted...plus the only one showing fear here is you.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Pedar, we're not interested in kicking you off for debating poorly. You are entitled to your opinion. Amelia has never had to kick anyone out of this community, and the only person I have ever given the boot was your referral 'Fag Soldier' and that was because all they posted was tons of inexplicable scat focused homosexual military ****/force fantasies in totally random threads, many outside the adult area. They were not even presented totally as fantasies either, the character was acting like this obvious fiction was their supposedly real life. Their antics were clearly designed to be destructive, so they had to go. However, if you are participating here, I think you should be able to write your opinion here without just pointing to other people's words outside the community instead.

We clearly don't mind a diversity of opinion.

-
    I form my opinions based on individuals who are conversant with the best research and evidence..hmm.. maybe they're called 'experts' ??
    I didn't learn abt Darwin's theory of evolution or the Fall of The Roman Empire by going to BB- okay?
    Interesting that you suddenly bring up Fag Soldier (what does this have to do with gun control, btw?)-- When that occured-I tried to contact you both offlist to see what happened, what the story was...not one reply ---
    which should've clued me in abt you guys..
    Now you want to complain abt this individual onlist...
    Dude- whatever...this all speaks for itself--and tells me everything I need to know..
    Have a nice life -good luck with your 'community' :-)
    see ya-P.

GasmaskGirl's Avatar Senior Member
    Ottawa Ontario, Canada (actually born in Saskatchewan Canada)

doesn't matter, tequilla. you could present all the solid evidence in the world proving that we should have a right to bear arms and they'd just say "But i don't like guns therefore nobody should have one" "But i don't like guns therefore nobody should have one".. "But i don't like guns threrefore nobody should have one"..

We can do another thread on patronizing women, but, until then, let's lay off the "dear girl" stuff.

My mind is open to cogent arguments on any issue. A conversation involves responding directly to the points another participant has made. If you were discussing this sitting in someone's living room, would you tell the people there that you heard someone eloquent make the point you would like to in a living room across town, so everyone should get in their cars?

I'm sure there are plenty of places online to find a linklist of sites which are pro or anti gun control to varying degrees. The idea on Blue Blood is the intelligent exchange of varied viewpoints. Your interpretation of what you have read should be more interesting in a discussion than a link.

Speaking as someone whose living room you are in, I'd like to point out that you have been repeatedly asked not to just post a link but to explain what is of interest. Crediting sources is great, but you need to be able to make your point here, in the living room you are in.

My point about you claiming to be a writer was not that I didn't believe you were a writer but that I didn't believe a writer would be incapable of making his own points. That said, as you brought it up, put 'em on the glass. Post the links about your writing credits. Please do so in the promo forum, however, as I am not about to have you flame your way into permission to spam.

All that said, the most important thing for me is to foster interesting discussion here. Sure, things will occasionally get heated when passionate people discuss hot topics, but I'd like to see more discussion and less personal offense on your part. Let's keep it nice.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

this is starting to look like a scene from a british comedy...

-
    I form my opinions based on individuals who are conversant with the best research and evidence..hmm.. maybe they're called 'experts' ??
    I didn't learn abt Darwin's theory of evolution or the Fall of The Roman Empire by going to BB- okay?
    Interesting that you suddenly bring up Fag Soldier (what does this have to do with gun control, btw?)-- When that occured-I tried to contact you both offlist to see what happened, what the story was...not one reply ---
    which should've clued me in abt you guys..
    Now you want to complain abt this individual onlist...
    Dude- whatever...this all speaks for itself--and tells me everything I need to know..
    Have a nice life -good luck with your 'community' :-)
    see ya-P.
    There are a lot of educated, interesting, intelligent people on this board with a wealth of interesting life experiences.

Forrest did not suddenly bring up the only nick which has ever been banned here. You brought up banning, so Forrest responded that the only ban we have ever had here was a fictional character referred by you who exclusively posted military scat porno and did so in both inappropriate erotica forum threads and in nonadult threads in the main area of the site.

You suggested that I should ban you if you are breaking the rules. I responded trying to explain why I prefer people to try to explain their views to one another so we can have genuine interaction. I hoped that by explaining the reasons for the guidelines you would understand them better and be more equipped to respond in a manner which would add enjoyment of the boards for everyone.

Banning you has nothing to do with gun control. You brought up the topic and seemed to be looking for a fight. Normal conversation patterns involve responding to topics other people have brought up.

Forrest responded to the topic that you brought up. Was it appropriate for you to say that I should ban you if I didn't like your inability to debate? No. But I would rather coach you and help you to improve anyway.

Now can we get back to the topic Brightstar started this thread about or do you need to keep trying to derail it because you are either unable or unwilling to take part in a normal friendly discussion of a difficult issue?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

It's sad how in the age where we can speak to one another so easily and freely we still fall back on the age old "This work over here proves my point!".

That does not make one look smart or educated...it makes one look like a lazy middle man who cannot think for themselves.

Citing statistics and works is great...but add your OWN thoughts and ideas...just cause you agree with a persons views or ideas does not make them your own...

Expert opinion is also intensely debated so that's not the best way to form your own...you need a bit of everything. Wired has an EXCELLENT article on this very topic in their latest issue...but I'll go into that as part of anothe thread I'm putting together for the near future.

Amelia-
    As Kevin Spacey said to Jack Lemmon in Glengary Glen Ross- 'It's nothing personal- I just don't like you'-
    You haven't read one thing I've said, have you..?
    I can see- sadly -why you've alienated yourself from so many people in the 'subcultures' you complain so much abt here in LA.
    goodbye-P.

Amelia-
    As Kevin Spacey said to Jack Lemmon in Glengary Glen Ross- 'It's nothing personal- I just don't like you'-
    You haven't read one thing I've said, have you..?
    I can see- sadly -why you've alienated yourself from so many people in the 'subcultures' you complain so much abt here in LA.
    goodbye-P.

So, yes, you are either unable or unwilling to take part in a normal friendly discussion of a difficult issue?

If I thought you were willing and capable of answering a direct question, I would ask what you are you doing on Blue Blood when you don't like anything about subculture. No one here is complaining about subculture. Most people here have had some pretty important life experiences in one subculture or another. You have indicated in your posts that your life experiences have been, in your opinion, more mainstream than those of many here, but I don't think anyone made you feel unwelcome for that.

If you have been posting here because of some sort of personal issue with me or the the things I have created, it seems inconsiderate of you to make more than six hundred posts on Blue Blood when I am not the only one who is inconvenienced when a good thread gets trashed by a vandal.

"My name? Fuck you! That's my name! You know why, mister? Because you drove a Hyundai here tonight, and I drove an $80,000 BMW. That's my name" -Glengary Glen Ross

There are some great lines in that movie! Can't we all just get along?

Many fine points made in this thread. I am personally uncomfortable with the idea of potentially being shot, but I am far far more uncomfortable with the idea of a dystopian future where the individual has no rights. The fact that AmeliaG and ForrestBlack did not ban that inarticulate rude person is proof positive that they are both psychologically fit to own whatever firearms they choose. They could have just banned someone so annoying, yet they chose to discuss the issues instead. They opted for persuasion and education rather than using the force at their disposal.

+ Reply to Thread