+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos that are common these days

GasmaskGirl's Avatar Senior Member
    Ottawa Ontario, Canada (actually born in Saskatchewan Canada)

Default Tattoos that are common these days

Just wondering what you people think are tattoos that are too common these days?

Personally I think the wings on the back are getting really really popular. I like them and they're usually very pretty, but everyone I know has them! I remember when my friend Tracy got her wing tattoos on her back about nine or ten years ago or so, and it blew my mind - such a cool tattoo idea! And I dated a guy for a while who had big angel wings on his back. But I see it more and more lately. My ex-roommate's girlfriend, and all her friends have them. I was at the mall last month and I saw four teenage girls walking together side by side with little strappless shirts on and each one of them had the big angel wing tattoos and I just sort of sighed and shook my head.

I don't mean to offend anyone here who has the wing tattoos, because like I said I do find them very beautiful. It's just that I've noticed that it's all over everyone lately!

I will say one tattoo that does annoy me is the tribal-lower-back-tattoo. And sorry again if anyone here has one. It's nothing personal, and please don't hate me. It's just... I can't really explain it. My own personal preference I guess, I just don't dig it. Too common. And it has no meaning. Then again maybe not everything has to have a meaning, it's just there to accentuate the bum

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: Tattoos that are common these days

I think all tattoos are getting to common and to me they just arent cool antmore because fucking everybody has a tattoo i remember back in the day when I knoew like five people that had big tattoos and that was alot now my fucking mom has a tattoo its insane

haha kidthorazine, you're so right.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I think it has to do with the individual. I think it is not a binary issue. There is a big difference between good work that compliments the body and personality of the subject vs. some picture slapped on like some oversized crackerjack prize. If it works for you, then it's good. If not, well...

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I think it has to do with the individual. I think it is not a binary issue. There is a big difference between good work that compliments the body and personality of the subject vs. some picture slapped on like some oversized crackerjack prize. If it works for you, then it's good. If not, well...
    I agree with you. I only have one tattoo so far (I've loved them since I was a kid) and it's something I designed myself and went around looking for just the right person to do. (By the way Fenix Tattoo in Seatown rocks.)

My next tattoo is going to be one of two designs I hold very dear. I think the big difference between the everybody has one tats and the good works of art are intent and what they mean.

But then again I could just be a big old snob.

Quote Originally Posted by Nudemuse
    I agree with you. I only have one tattoo so far (I've loved them since I was a kid) and it's something I designed myself and went around looking for just the right person to do. (By the way Fenix Tattoo in Seatown rocks.)

My next tattoo is going to be one of two designs I hold very dear. I think the big difference between the everybody has one tats and the good works of art are intent and what they mean.

But then again I could just be a big old snob.
    post them... skatches...

I saw once a guy with big Nike simbol on his arm.... damn freaky =)

and one that I liked from friend of mine is big washmashine on his back.... he got it in jail thinking he was geting something cool, don't remember what (he was one young stupid kid)

I want to get the Tattoo of My Avatar, but Im not sure where to place that.

Either the Back, Arms, or on the chest.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

im seriously thinking of getting the louisville slugger logo tattooed on my cock...

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I see a lot of star tattoos recently.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I don't have any decent pics but it's an infinity symbol with the words 'the infinite soul' beneath it. Bold and black.

Just like me.

I'm sick of seeing:

anything Orange County style....mudflap girls, nautical stars, flames, Cadiallac logos, bluebirds/swallows and whatever else you see enblazoned on ALL the accessories in Hot Topic.

Wings on the back are SO over.....like tribal ANYWHERE!

Lower back tattoos on girls are so the accessory, rarely done well.

THINK YOUR TATTOOS OUT KIDS!!! They are gonna last forever. I should know, I have a goddamn Cat The The Hat 8-9 inched tall on my friggin' shoulder blade.

I tried to avoid anything specific, that I might not be into in the future.
    At the time, you might think a tattoo of "Eddie" from Iron Maiden would be badass.
    But 10 years later, you might not like it. You might not even be into that music anymore.
    I think that will be the problem with people with all the stars, and cherries, etc...
    When they are older, they may not be into that "style" of tattoo fashion any more.
    Same way if you got hippie tattos or biker tattoos in the 60's, or prison tattoos,
    you might not like that style now. It might look old and dated.
    That is why I think it is good to come up with something unique.
    Something that reflects you, or is just good art.
    But nothing that reflects a certain style, or trend.
    Otherwise you may regret it.

Although I have heard people who say their tats are like their history. They have them from all different eras, and they reflect all the things they used to be into...

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

thats why im creating my own design which i cant discuss at the moment, i have already said to much harr

why not? heh. afraid someone else is gonna read it & run out to the tattoo shop and get it done?

you should share. you might even get some good feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by GasmaskGirl
    why not? heh. afraid someone else is gonna read it & run out to the tattoo shop and get it done?

all i can say at the moment is that it is pirate themed

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by GasmaskGirl

I'm pretty sure it's something pirate related...like a wench holding a cutlass in one hand and the severed head of Ashton Kutcher in the other....

I don't have any tats or piercings and don't think I ever will--I just haven't had that buring desire some people get. I think they're fine and dandy, but one of those mistakes that can be really funny if you change later on in life!
    example: jacklope's great shoulder tattoo
    -Nate

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

i am definately getting more and more tired of the seemingly unthought out lack of originality in tattoo's these days. more and more it seems like people just get something to say they have something rather then thinking it through and getting something that reflects them (even in a small way)

one of the best tattoos i have ever seen was a guy in a water park when i was a little kid. he apparently had some major surgery where he had a majorly thick scar from his sternum down and a little around his belly button being hispanic the scar was thick heavily keloided and much darker then his normal skin so he tattooed this great big tree top on his chest turning this otherwise unsightly scar into the coolest looking textured 3d bodmod i have ever seen and it remains the koolest tattoo/bodmod i have ever seen(and i have seen quite a bit)

Quote Originally Posted by skully
    i am definately getting more and more tired of the seemingly unthought out lack of originality in tattoo's these days. more and more it seems like people just get something to say they have something rather then thinking it through and getting something that reflects them (even in a small way)

one of the best tattoos i have ever seen was a guy in a water park when i was a little kid. he apparently had some major surgery where he had a majorly thick scar from his sternum down and a little around his belly button being hispanic the scar was thick heavily keloided and much darker then his normal skin so he tattooed this great big tree top on his chest turning this otherwise unsightly scar into the coolest looking textured 3d bodmod i have ever seen and it remains the koolest tattoo/bodmod i have ever seen(and i have seen quite a bit)

that's very neat indeed.
    i knew a guy (knew of a guy, rather - he was a friend-of-a-friend) who had a large scar on his body that he had tattooed into a zipper, so it looked like the zipper was opening up where the giant scar was. kinda neat looking. he died of a herion overdose though, i think. which, ironically, was the cause of the giant scar in the first place.

MidniteCliche's Avatar Senior Member

too much tribal !!! from knowing plenty of tat artists, it's now accepted that tribal is over done...oh, and those old style navy tattoos (sacred hearts, birds on either shoulder, Doves holding banners, those damn sailor stars, any cartoony and colorful "old school" style tats. And the Bio-tech, Giger-esque, alien lookin' stuff.) Plus, tigers, Eagles, Panthers, Dragons and skulls...though I do looove skulls! You'd think people would add some sentiment to their tattoos....oh, and last but not least, STOP PUTTING BARBED-WIRE BANDS AROUNDS YOUR BICEPS!!! Argh!!! (to each their own, just don't show me
    Now that I've probably offended at least one of you, if not all....
    Have a super-duper day!

Quote Originally Posted by MidniteCliche
    too much tribal !!! from knowing plenty of tat artists, it's now accepted that tribal is over done...oh, and those old style navy tattoos (sacred hearts, birds on either shoulder, Doves holding banners, those damn sailor stars, any cartoony and colorful "old school" style tats. And the Bio-tech, Giger-esque, alien lookin' stuff.) Plus, tigers, Eagles, Panthers, Dragons and skulls...though I do looove skulls! You'd think people would add some sentiment to their tattoos....oh, and last but not least, STOP PUTTING BARBED-WIRE BANDS AROUNDS YOUR BICEPS!!! Argh!!! (to each their own, just don't show me
    Now that I've probably offended at least one of you, if not all....
    Have a super-duper day!
    you forgot dolphins. i'm sick of seeing dolphins tattooed on girls' stomachs, lol... or anywhere, for that matter.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I draw all my own designs, my wings that I am in the process of finisihinf have a picture within them...and have taken along time to think out..I look at this way...sure it may be common but there are good ones and bad ones....be creative there's alwasy and alternative idea nd way of doing it and pay the money for good work getting a tatto is aliftime investment, seriously shop around and ask people when you see something you like where they got it and so on and so forth I do find thouhg that the Tattoo community can be unwelcoming to the those with Virgin Flesh....as for boring tattoos Stars oh my god please no more stars....tribal of any type unless done really well. Basically When you see alot of tattos and stuff you get an eye for the borig and mundane...tattos should mean something and express you....

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Well you ladies pretty much said what I wanted...only I'd like to add one thing...pin up girls...guys...it does not make you look cool...you look like you walked off a b-grade greaser movie.

Let it go already...move on.

Lamest one I saw...some dumbass got the logo of a mountain bike company on their calf...now that's just lame.

i know some guy who got the marines logo tatooed on his lower arm before he elisted and then he couldnt join the marines because he tested positive for some drug when he went to the military entrance proccesing station

MidniteCliche's Avatar Senior Member

ya, dolphins, butterflies, ugh, dare I say old faded unicorns! Oh dear God! I said it !

arrrrggggggggg!!!!!! this total white trash lady i know (she's a relative of my parents friends) has a unicorn tattoo'd on her wrist. Just the head. It looks ridiculous, it looks totally jail-house too. A jail-house unicorn head tattoo on her wrist. It's so funny..

oh yeah i forgot about butterflies. that's another one EVERY girl has.

Yeah, basically everything that's been said...butterflies, nautical stars, those tribal ones on the lower back, etc. Oh, but Kanji tattoos are very common, too. But I don't really dislike them. And dragons. Faeries, too.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

"I shouldn't have gotten that New Kids On The Block tatoo.... Back Street Boyz woulda bin better."

-Tryla-G, when ask if he ever regretted any of his decisions in life.

tatoos mean so much more if they are ridiculous and funny. hm. that's kind of my outlook on life. you shouldn't take anything too seriously, especially yourself.

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

personally i think that stars, heartagrams, flames around the wrist, dolphins, and tribal designs are all too common (sorry if i just offended anyone) my friend designs tatoos and sells them to tatoo parlours when i pluck up the courage to get one done i'll ask her to design it

Nixxx's Avatar Junior Member

I unfortunately have loads of cliché tattoos - I have a tribal design on the back of my neck, Latin writing around my wrist and stars on my collarbone.... but I don't really care cuz as long as you wear them well then that's all that matters... isn't it?

-x-

You have to like your own tattoos. Because most normal people don't like them *period*. If you are worried what other people think of them, then you shouldn't even get one. I prefer abstract designs. Semi-tribal, but my own shapes and styles. As long as the design comes from my head, then I feel like it is mine, and my idea, my design, and not a copy of someone else's ideas.

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

I grabbed this quote from another thread because i think it applies nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs jones
    Why is there a distinction between valid and less valid reasons for getting a tat/piercing/plastic surgery? By stating or guessing that one reason a person might choose such body mods (expression of individuality) is healthier, better, or cooler than someone else's possible reason (bad self-image, desire to conform to external pressures) a person is making a judgement that only discourages others' personal choices. (i.e. you can get a tat or a boob job but only if you're doing for the right reasons which i'll now tell you)

It is the judgement of others' motives for their choices that leads to intolerance of those choices; there is nothing inherent in the choices themselves that leads others to reject them.

That being said there should be no reason to believe that any one form of body modification is superior to any other or that anyone choosing any type of mod for themselves is making a wrong choice (that's their business only)
    Everyone has an opinion about art, and it's a natural and good thing to know what you love, what you hate, and all those wonderful gradations in between. But... our society is far far too exclusionary and class-oriented as it is. So i say whatever your reasons for getting the tattoo you're getting is your. business. not. mine. As mrs jones so eloquently stated, to judge other's motives for their choices, or to decide whose taste is valid or not, is just counterproductive to me. It narrows society when i want it to be so much broader.

~Histrionica~

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

I hate japanese symbols. You think you know what they mean, but do you? It could mean, "hey I'm an asshole with a dumb tatoo" for all you know. Then people get all pissed off when you ask what they mean.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Well, I have wings on my back, but NOONE has the same style or coloring as me. I have yet to see anyone with metal/chrome angel wings that run from shoulder blades to butt.

I think stars and such are just way too common, that and japanese.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by jacklope
    I'm sick of seeing:

anything Orange County style....mudflap girls, nautical stars, flames, Cadiallac logos, bluebirds/swallows and whatever else you see enblazoned on ALL the accessories in Hot Topic.

Wings on the back are SO over.....like tribal ANYWHERE!

Lower back tattoos on girls are so the accessory, rarely done well.

THINK YOUR TATTOOS OUT KIDS!!! They are gonna last forever. I should know, I have a goddamn Cat The The Hat 8-9 inched tall on my friggin' shoulder blade.
    Its a good thing my wings arent on your back. My are origional, and I have yet to see anyone with my style of wings, ANYWHERE. I hope the tat craze get done and over soon, I enjoy being unique.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    I think all tattoos are getting to common and to me they just arent cool antmore because fucking everybody has a tattoo i remember back in the day when I knoew like five people that had big tattoos and that was alot now my fucking mom has a tattoo its insane
    I actually think its WONDERFUL that people are getting tattoos. That means that they are becoming more accepted in society, and Ive been waiting for that my whole life practically. Im a very extremely tattoed person, and I love it that I dont get nasty comments anymore.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    all i can say at the moment is that it is pirate themed
    Careful, pirate themes are becoming increasingly popular. The shop I worked at did two tattoos of pirate themes in two days. One a backpiece.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by CPRB
    I draw all my own designs, my wings that I am in the process of finisihinf have a picture within them...and have taken along time to think out..I look at this way...sure it may be common but there are good ones and bad ones....be creative there's alwasy and alternative idea nd way of doing it and pay the money for good work getting a tatto is aliftime investment, seriously shop around and ask people when you see something you like where they got it and so on and so forth I do find thouhg that the Tattoo community can be unwelcoming to the those with Virgin Flesh....as for boring tattoos Stars oh my god please no more stars....tribal of any type unless done really well. Basically When you see alot of tattos and stuff you get an eye for the borig and mundane...tattos should mean something and express you....
    Thank you! My wings, if you look closely, have faces in the chrome coloring. You really have to look to see them, plus I havent seen anyone with chrome/metal wings. Ive had them for YEARS.

I think if your ancestoral background is that of a culture that did, ugh, "tribal" tatoos as a part of thier civilization, like maori, etc, and you want to get that to honour your family tradition you shouldn't have to be ashamed because some asshole suits in some fucking office somwhere decided it's cool and trendy and marketable.

+ Reply to Thread