+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does anyone here work out?

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Default Does anyone here work out?

So, does anyone work out? I quit drinking and have traded alcohol for exerscise. I've been working out for a month now, and I have a few questions.... Can I or should I work out on sore or pulled muscles? I haven't eaten any red meat in four months now, and only eat fish and very rarely chicken or pork. I've lost almost ten pounds just from not drinking, and it just keeps coming off. I want to bulk up, but I don't want to start eating shitty food or start drinking again. Any suggestions? Mamma wants a washboard tummy.
    My current measurements are 36-26-36. Thanks in advance.

Ps: can anyone suggest a good running shoe that won't break the bank? I don't want to spend more than 100 bux. I will if I have to, but I'd prefer not to. I don't care if they're ugly either. I only have to wear them to run/do cardio in.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Default Re: Does anyone here work out?

I used to work out a lot but now my regimen only includes 12oz. curls at the bar. But I do remember a few things. It's not a good idea to work out on painful muscles. If it's just a bit of soreness you probably are okay but real pain indicates there's some damage you need to heal up and stressing it more will only further damage it.

As far as bulking up goes, head to a health food store or a GNC and grab some protein shakes. Some of them actually arent' terrible but it's been long enough that I dont' remember which brands.

For shoes I never ran much but when I did I wore New Balance. They're fairly cheap, comfortable and last a good long time.

Thanks teddywoof.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Aside from falling over or being startled by a moose, sore muscles from aerobic work usually means you didn't warm down enough afterwards. Lifting weights etc will always make them sore as that's the point - by micro-tearing the tissue you force it to add more structure during the healing process, and that's the only reason you get stronger; but running shouldn't routinely tear muscles, only hammer the living bejebus out of your skeleton. People always seem to remember to warm up before running out the door, but arrive back at full tilt and walk straight towards the couch/fridge/live-in-lover. Ice baths help, apparently, but I get the feeling it's the fact you're in so much pain from the freezing water, you stop caring about anything else.

Personally, I chase sheep around mountains. For purely legal reasons I must stress, but there's the dual advantages of a massive workout, and a free towel. Exercise footwear of choice is therefore the wellington boot, so I won't bother recommending it.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Over stretching during your cool down period will tear muscles pretty easily too since they're warm and loose. As long as it's just sore, go ahead and continue, but consider a less strenuous work out or extra couple days of rest. You'd be surprised how much improvement you'll see if you stop for a few days to let your body recover fully before going at it again.

Any brand of running shoe is going to do essentially the same thing as any other. Just go to a sporting goods store or specialty store like Finish Line and talk to them. New Balance is an inexpensive brand that works well, but Adidas, Puma, and Asics can be similarly priced. It's not necessarily the shoe, but the insole support they provide, for which you can get new ones that work for your feet. (For example, I have flat feet, so have to get insoles with a forced arch but my friend has high ached feet that need a larger, more supportive arch on the insole). I've seen people spend way too much on new shoes when 15 bucks could have gotten them new insoles for another 6 months or so.

Bulking up mostly just requires more protein. Eating more starches (potatoes for example) will help, and chicken is good for it too. But, if that's not the route, then yeah, search through supplement stores and they can help you with what would help, but those shakes get expensive.

Okay, so I stepped on the scal today, and I have lost almost 17 lbs. I wonder where it went..... I'm weighing in at 115 now. Thankfully, my boobs and ass have not left me. Looks like I'm going with new balance. Another friend in l.a. Recommended them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames View Post
    Aside from falling over or being startled by a moose, sore muscles from aerobic work usually means you didn't warm down enough afterwards. Lifting weights etc will always make them sore as that's the point - by micro-tearing the tissue you force it to add more structure during the healing process, and that's the only reason you get stronger; but running shouldn't routinely tear muscles, only hammer the living bejebus out of your skeleton. People always seem to remember to warm up before running out the door, but arrive back at full tilt and walk straight towards the couch/fridge/live-in-lover. Ice baths help, apparently, but I get the feeling it's the fact you're in so much pain from the freezing water, you stop caring about anything else.

Personally, I chase sheep around mountains. For purely legal reasons I must stress, but there's the dual advantages of a massive workout, and a free towel. Exercise footwear of choice is therefore the wellington boot, so I won't bother recommending it.
    I'm not sore from running. I do a hardcore ab workout almost every day. It can be rather brutal. That's what I'm sore from. And my calves are sore from jumping rope. Running is the least of my problems; aside from the fact that I can only do it for about 15 min so far. Running shoes will absorb most of the impact on my bones.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue View Post
    I'm not sore from running. I do a hardcore ab workout almost every day. It can be rather brutal. That's what I'm sore from. And my calves are sore from jumping rope. Running is the least of my problems; aside from the fact that I can only do it for about 15 min so far. Running shoes will absorb most of the impact on my bones.
    For the record, I would impact the hell outta your bones. Just sayin'

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Careful there, Rockwulf - it appears her boyfriend's nickname is "Rope".

dat's a prison name...

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I need to find a 24 hour gym. 2 moves across country without regular exercise is not good.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

umm, voltaire, don't take this the wrong way. you had a stunning body before; i can only imagine what its looking like now. the body art only further accentuated the gorgeous body underneath. you already seemed to be pretty toned in the photos i've seen in the past. hopefully we get some new pics to ogle over sometime soon!

Quote Originally Posted by aXa View Post
    umm, voltaire, don't take this the wrong way. you had a stunning body before; i can only imagine what its looking like now. the body art only further accentuated the gorgeous body underneath. you already seemed to be pretty toned in the photos i've seen in the past. hopefully we get some new pics to ogle over sometime soon!
    Not taking it the wrong way, no worries. When I quit drinking I lost 8 lbs in just ten days.I decided to work out because I didn't want to look like a junkie. I look good in pics because I'm shot well. Now illl look god in pics and it won't matter what angle they're shot from. This is the size I'm built to be(the size I am now). Now I'm just looking to build muscle tone, and be super fit and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat View Post
    I need to find a 24 hour gym. 2 moves across country without regular exercise is not good.
    There's a new gym opening by my house. I can't wait. Hello yoga and pilates classes with tons of cardio. Yay!

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

There's a new gym opening by my house. I can't wait. Hello yoga and pilates classes with tons of cardio. Yay!
    Lucky! Congrats. We have the school gym, but I'm hoping to find something 24 Hours due to our (me + s/o) odd schedules.

OEC

Okay, so I stepped on the scal today, and I have lost almost 17 lbs. I wonder where it went..... I'm weighing in at 115 now. Thankfully, my boobs and ass have not left me. Looks like I'm going with new balance. Another friend in l.a. Recommended them to.
    I've had my new balance running shoes for like 4 years now and they still haven't worn out, they are definitely worth the money.

What are you doing for your abs if you don't mind me asking? I really need to start working out more.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I don't work out but i did back in the day. what really helps post work out for sore muscles is a hot bath with some bath crystals or epsom salts to sap all the lactic acid out of your muscles which is half of what causes the sore/sprained feeling. also a big protein boosted smoothie from the nearest Jamba Juice/Smoothie King between the gym and the bath helps too. I still follow these (ex the smoothie thing as none of those are open at 2:30am) little routines when i get off work. my job is all the work out i need these days. three song sets every 30 minutes with gymnastics aerobics and pole work. I recommend getting inserts (dr shoals etc) for your running shoes, cheap or expensive, the difference is noticeable... in a good way.

~K

and the porridge was just

i am lazy as all hell. but i did find a dance dvd duo- cardio funk and tone and groove
    they are hilarious
    i used them once

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Usually at least once a day I talk about how I'm going to start working out and I never do.
    How do you get motivated? You'd think just wanting to be fit and look good would be motivation enough but it seems to not be working for me. Good for you anyway

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

Pilates!
    Great for toning practically everything. :]

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

Pilates!
    Great for toning practically everything. :]

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo View Post
    Usually at least once a day I talk about how I'm going to start working out and I never do.
    How do you get motivated? You'd think just wanting to be fit and look good would be motivation enough but it seems to not be working for me. Good for you anyway
    For me it only works when I find something fun. Wii-fit worked for a while, the game nature of it made me keep going. But what physical stuff do you enjoy?

Best advice I can give- Find people how look like you want to look, and have achived what you want to achive, coming from a similar background to where you're coming from, and find out what they did to get there.

I lift, swim, and do stupid kung fu stunts. The kung fu's for my sanity since I hate lifting, and am bored by swimming, not sure the kung fu does much for my health. (I actually like MMA as a form of working out, but it bores me to tears otherwise.)

I recommend lifting weights to all modern humans just about though. The likelihood that you'll end up with bulging hulked out muscles is remote, but the health benefits are way worth it. Improves just about everything else you do. (Skeleton/bone health among other things.)

Just make sure you're getting enough calories, and enough protein for you Voltaire. Your body will tend to use up muscle over fat, if it thinks it's starving. I used to be a super strict vegan, but now eat fancy red meats like grass fed beef, buffalo, venison, and such... Eat what you're comfortable with though, and just make sure you're getting enough to fuel the muscle growth you're looking for.

Hmmm. Looking forward to seeing a Voltaire 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by LeilaHazlett View Post
    What are you doing for your abs if you don't mind me asking? I really need to start working out more.
    I'm doing an old workout from the 90s called the firm. I laughed when man bought it used on VHS, but I live for it now. Its hard as fuck, and it will kick your ass. It took two weeks just to get through the first routine. I live for the firm now. I can see my stomach starting to get defined now too. It rules.

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo View Post
    How do you get motivated?
    I had to force myself. For real. I procrastinated for a long time. When I finally started forcing myself, I realized that it made me feel really good. I got hooked on the endorphin rush, and now I kinda freak out if I can't or don't get to at least 20 minutes of cardio. Just do it first thing out of bed. It'll make you feel great & give you alot of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat View Post
    Lucky! Congrats. We have the school gym, but I'm hoping to find something 24 Hours due to our (me + s/o) odd schedules.

OEC
    Yeah, I really can't wait. Its going to be close enought to ride my bike to and from there as well, so that'll be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly View Post

Just make sure you're getting enough calories, and enough protein for you Voltaire. Your body will tend to use up muscle over fat, if it thinks it's starving. I used to be a super strict vegan, but now eat fancy red meats like grass fed beef, buffalo, venison, and such... Eat what you're comfortable with though, and just make sure you're getting enough to fuel the muscle growth you're looking for.
    Hmmm. Looking forward to seeing a Voltaire 2.0
    I eat alot of salmon. And alot of different types of beans and legumes. A little chicken, bacon only once a month.yeah, I have to make sure I eat, or I get nasty headaches. I make sure I eat enough, and I always have a bag of almonds with me at work and a small bar of 82% dark chocolate at work. I really hate eating after 9pm, but when you need to you need to if its really bad, I'll make a little salad or eat some yogurt when I get in before bed. I absolutely can't eat red meat anymore. That last time driving by the slaughter fields on I-5 really did it for me. Plus, it stays in your stomach too long and is hard to digest. One could say I was pretty nutritionally obsessed. I just started craving different things when I gave up alcohol.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I'm doing an old workout from the 90s called the firm. I laughed when man bought it used on VHS, but I live for it now. Its hard as fuck, and it will kick your ass. It took two weeks just to get through the first routine. I live for the firm now. I can see my stomach starting to get defined now too. It rules.

I had to force myself. For real. I procrastinated for a long time. When I finally started forcing myself, I realized that it made me feel really good. I got hooked on the endorphin rush, and now I kinda freak out if I can't or don't get to at least 20 minutes of cardio. Just do it first thing out of bed. It'll make you feel great & give you alot of energy.
    Ya, I'm such a procrastinator. Now that the weather is getting cooler I'm sure I'll be getting out more. I lost quite a bit of weight just by walking everywhere. Who would have thought?
    I don't know about giving up alcohol though. Or bacon!
    Oh, have you ever tried those Tae Bo videos? I heard they're a pretty good workout. If you ever wanna mix it up.

and the porridge was just

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem View Post
    For me it only works when I find something fun. Wii-fit worked for a while, the game nature of it made me keep going. But what physical stuff do you enjoy?
    oo i wanto play with the wii

toxicat's Avatar catty member

I was doing this fast-paced, intense yoga at a place in Oakland called the Monkey Yoga Shala and would recommend a similar program to anyone who can keep up - which isn't usually me, but it definitely did the job it was supposed to do, even with my shoddy form. After I broke my toe I quit and haven't yet gone back. I'm currently 104.8 lbs at 5'8 with some tone left in my upper arms and plenty in my calves from walking, but not displaying the full body tone one acquires from this type of yoga. These days all I hear is, "eat some bread".

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

The only thing I have to add to this discussion, is the fact that most of my friends who were really hardcore about their exercise, all have joint problems now. Knee surgeries, etc. And they all say they probably overdid it when they were younger, and now they do less strenuous exercises, but still for a long time. So try to avoid pushing yourself too hard, or you may regret it later. Both of the guys I know went nuts when they had their knee surgeries, because they could not work out for months and months afterwards. So it sucks to have an exercise addiction, but end up not able to exercise because you pushed it too hard. Like try switching to lower impact aerobics, etc. Not running, and stuff like that, that's hard on your joints...

theUnclean's Avatar former corporate whore

It may seem odd or kid like, but a good jump rope routine can kick ass on your legs and cardio; especially after a jog. If your not used to it, even a few minutes will burn you calves like hell; remember to stretch them good afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by KessM View Post
    oo i wanto play with the wii
    It is the god-king of mindless entertainment. And, bonus, you get a little exercise.

And now EA is stepping up with Wii active.

i don't play a lot of games on the system, but it was still my best entertainment investment in a while.

theUnclean's Avatar former corporate whore

For some reason, I can't seem to sit down when playing the Wii.
    Maybe it's the 'chuks, but I always find myself standing up to play.

johnny's Avatar Sane.

SCan I or should I work out on sore or pulled muscles? I haven't eaten any red meat in four months now, and only eat fish and very rarely chicken or pork. I want to bulk up, but I don't want to start eating shitty food or start drinking again. Any suggestions? Mamma wants a washboard tummy.
    My current measurements are 36-26-36. Thanks in advance.
    In a previous lifetime I was actually a certified instructor; since you already received so much good advice I'd like to add a couple quick notes:

I'd recommend that you alternate strength and cardio training every other and definitely add in one or two rest days.

Stretching a must every day. If you do yoga or pilates... better yet but I'd space those workout to let the body rest a bit between sessions.

Sore muscle ... see if you can work out the soreness with warm up and stretches the go. Pulled muscles... egads... don't work out ... let the body rest.

Bulking up... go for low reps but heavy weights. Work it in a circuit to target the muscles you are after. You may want to go easy on the cardio temporarily if bulking up is all you are after.

I'd consult with some guides/dietitians before going hardcore on the protein shakes -- sometimes its hard on the body. But chicken and fish... that is the stuff.

Water, water, water.

Those are incredible measurements. Okay, talking to much already.

Definely, I worked out everyday. I have my own equipment at home. I want to keep the wonderful shape I had when younger forever. After age 40, this takes alot of working out, and the older you get, the more work this is. But I do not want to lose the shape I had when younger. So I worked out alot and more, and more as I get older.

+ Reply to Thread